Posted at 2:02 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

D.C. installs Nats Park Curve Ball artwork

By Dan Steinberg

Over the summer, I noted that Nats Park would soon be graced with some orb sculptures, otherwise known as "30 stainless steel-domed forms which will accurately follow the theoretical model of the trajectory of a curving fast-ball pitch."

Well, the gracing has begun. The installation apparently began on Thursday, according to photos posted by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities. More from the Commission:

In 2007, the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities', DC Creates! Public Art Program commissioned public artist Thomas Sayre of Clearscapes Architecture and Art firm in Raleigh, North Carolina to design, fabricate and install Curve Ball. On the eastern garage fa├žade eighteen stainless steel baseballs follow the trajectory of a curving fast ball pitch. The remaining twelve baseballs on the western garage facade illustrate the straight and higher-angled trajectory of the same ball as it is hit by the batter. The baseballs will be lit with energy efficient LED lights. The lights will be programmed to correspond with the excitement and drama of the baseball game.

These photos pretty much tell it all, minus the excitement and drama of the baseball game. Though it's hard to beat the excitement and drama of the parking garage.

By Dan Steinberg  | December 9, 2010; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo says he'd "love to still play with Haynesworth"
Next: Ovechkin takes clean-shaven look on the town

Comments

Is this the same group responsible for the statues? My, we seem to lack a discerning eye.

I fear that having "art" on the garages will make it that much harder to tear them down and replace them with something better.

Posted by: jenjensn | December 9, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sure they're not just Christmas tree ornaments?

Posted by: ramgut | December 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Great. Any chance they can save that money for actual pitchers?

Posted by: Bious | December 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me?

The statues are creepy.

The mobile over the home plate entrance is tolerable.

30 balls corresponding to the excitement and drama of the game is embarrassing.

(sigh)

Go Nats!

Posted by: summerandwinter | December 9, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

They look good to me. But somehow I knew when I clicked on this link the only people commenting would be criticizing.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 10, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know how much they spent on this. In an era where every cent seems to count, I'm glad that my tax dollars are going to elaborately decorate an f'ing parking garage.

As a piece of art/stadium accoutrement, I think it has the potential to be kind of neat, but completely unnecessary.

Posted by: Goat_74 | December 10, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

They look fine... but I would also rather have an actual pitcher that can deliver a curve ball, not art depicting what a curve ball should look like.

Posted by: law3 | December 10, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I hate those garages. Pisses me off, lerners are iceholes for building those and not making a cool view out of CF. waste of a skyline.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse