Posted at 1:12 PM ET, 12/14/2010

Favre says Redskins may have ended his career

By Dan Steinberg

So the Redskins may not have accomplished many of their goals this season, but here's one thing they apparently did: end Brett Favre's consecutive games streak.

Favre's injury, which caused his hand to turn purple, was widely reported as a shoulder injury suffered during the Vikings' win over the Bills, but Monday night, Favre suggested the injury actually happened against the Redskins the week before.

"This actually started back after the Washington game is when I first felt it, on a hit in the first or second drive," he said after the Vikings lost to the Giants. (Watch the press conference here.) "And at times it feels ok. I don't want to say it's not so much the pain -- there's a little pain, but that's subsided some. It's this tingling. So I think it'd be foolish to even consider playing if you don't have total feeling in five fingers."

He then said the shoulder injury suffered against the Bills "added to" his problem, but again suggested the nerve issue started earlier.

"This was really based on numbness...just tingling," he said. "Really nothing to shoot up. Not to mention that that's kind of tricky. I've played through a lot of stuff, but I think this is something different, that I've got to be more cautious....Seems like I've been hurt a lot worse. I can't believe that something like this hasn't happened before."

And he also said he wouldn't play again if he can't feel his hand. Which means the Redskins may have ended Brett Favre's career. Who, specifically? Hard to say, since I erased my version of that game. The official play-by-play shows a Brian Orakpo sack and an Albert Haynesworth pressure on the Vikings' first two drives, so I'd have to guess it was one of them.

You can also add Favre's name to the list of players seriously hurt by the Redskins this season, a list that includes Michael Vick, Vince Young, Steven Jackson, Adrian Peterson, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Lance Briggs, Aaron Rodgers, Jermichael Finley, Andre Johnson and Gerald McCoy.

(More local connections to Favre's injury at Mister Irrelevant, whence the above image is taken. The below image is from @xmasape. And thanks to Reader Steve for pointing this out.)

By Dan Steinberg  | December 14, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Racing Presidents at the Nutcracker
Next: Redskins selling Jason Campbell holiday ornaments

Comments

Let's not discount the injury to my dreams, hopes and expectations. They were awakened by the firing of Vinny 'the hack' Cerrato, then ruptured by the hiring of Mike 'the weasel' Shanahan.

Never liked that little weasel and still don't. Lest we forget he was fired from his last job. You don't fire a 2X-SB winning coach without good reason.

Posted by: iubiquity | December 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Someone from the Redskins defense touched Brett Favre in that game? I'm shocked. I thought maybe he pulled a hammy when he was sprinting past our defense for the clinching first down.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | December 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Favre says Redskins may have ended his career

To highlight his hand injury complaint, he emailed a picture of his 'swollen thumb' to a member of the New York Jets' media department.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 14, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

saw this last night and immediately went to look at the tape to see who deserves credit for ending Favre's career. I watched the tape and it wasn't Haynesworth, not in those first few drives anyway. He did get a hurry/hit on Favre but it doesn't look very likely Favre was hurt after that play. I think it was on the Orakpo sack.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Is this what the Redskins have come down too, celebrating injuries?! I'd rather have beaten the Vikings than cost Favre another few games to add to a trivial record no one will care about until someone breaks it.

Posted by: Eman8 | December 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eman8 | December 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

who cares. he should never have come back.will someone tell me why people rank joe montaner over terry b , and brady when he was just lucky enough to wind up playing for bill walsh.did these people see him at nd before walsh got him.

Posted by: rwest828hope | December 14, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

So the season wasn't a total loss.

Posted by: MrChip1 | December 14, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Someone from the Redskins' defense touched Brett Favre in that game?

Actually, Toby Gerhart's 3rd/4th quarter rushing is what killed us in that game.

And oh yes, there was that penalty on the kick return thingy....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 14, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Dont forget the skins ended troy aikmans career too courtesy of your fellow co-worker at the washington post

Posted by: skinsfanintokyo | December 14, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Good, that means our defense is hitting hard! Hope it continues next year.

Posted by: skins10 | December 15, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The prime suspect, with motive and access to the crime scene, would be Mr. London Fletcher.

Posted by: Andrew53 | December 15, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Love it how we have to find ways to make ourselves relevant. Sad, but I guess it is the current state of affairs.

On Sunday night I tried to get NFL network highlights of the game from Chicago and had to wait while they reviewed every other game in the league. We're that far down.

Posted by: drnosewater | December 15, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse