Posted at 11:55 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Haynesworth on bad practice: "Sue me"

By Dan Steinberg

There were a lot of special parts during Albert Haynesworth's nearly 30-minute appearance on 106.7 The Fan's Kevin & Rock show Monday night. Jason Reid chronicled many of them here, and you can listen to the full audio above.

Before the next wave hits, though, I just wanted to emphasize one other part of the interview: Haynesworth talking about teammates who've criticized him, and being late to meetings, and the reports that he had a "bad practice" on Thursday. It wasn't quite Allen Iverson, but it wasn't bad, either.

"Ok, I was a minute late [for a meeting], and then I got pulled aside, or told to go to Shanahan's office and talk to him," Haynesworth said. "But as far as getting in line, I mean, there's plenty of players that's late, have been late. You get fined and you go on. You don't sit here and go to the media and tell [them] he needs to get in line, because there's nothing else. I'm not being a distraction. All I'm trying to is go out there and practice and win games.

"If I didn't have a good practice, all right, sue me. I mean, everybody doesn't go out and have a great practice every day. You just don't do that. That doesn't mean that I can't play on Sunday. And if a player's got a problem with me, then maybe they need to come up here and say something to me. Don't sit here and go to the media and say you need to get in line and all this other stuff, because honestly, there's nothing else I'm doing.

"If I was late to a meeting, ok, my fault. I take that responsibility. I was late. Fine me like you're supposed to, then that's it."

Then Haynesworth was asked what constitutes a bad practice.

"He said I wasn't giving a whole lot of effort," Haynesworth said, "like, I didn't run to the ball out there if the play was on the other side or something like that. Things like that. That's what he said. The effort, I guess, wasn't there."

By Dan Steinberg  | December 6, 2010; 11:55 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth is Dan Snyder's biggest free agent bust
Next: Ovechkin will be well-groomed for Gillette

Comments

Whatever. The redskins are boring tools. Last decade's news. Your grandfather's DC team. Go Caps! Bring on the Winter Classic from heinz Field in Pittsburgh -- that's the only way you'll see a DC pro sports team on a football field in a meaningful, entertaining game on national TV in January!

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 7, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

92 just doesn't get it, never will.

And I agree with capscapscaps2 (was capscapscaps1 taken?) that this is the most boring Redskins team I can remember, on and off the field. Haynesworth "drama" is no longer interesting.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 7, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth drama was never interesting. Neither are the Redskins.

When will Washington D.C. get an NFL franchise? This one is Snyder's. He can keep it.

Posted by: Towson_Tiger | December 7, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor's life tragically ended short, but this piece of human garbage is still kicking?

Life is unfair.

Posted by: DaveLopan | December 7, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Life is unfair.

Posted by: DaveLopan | December 7, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad he opened his mouth and defended himself. I'm always on my soapbox about this dumb, foolish,"go mute when in trouble" idea that black athletes employ to disastrous effect.

You may not win em' over, but tell your side of the story and don't let the media whitewash it.
The story is only 2 days old and the majority of the fans on the threads have already started up with the insults and vitriol-without even knowing the story.

So, Haynesworth has spotted his detractors a two day lead to fill up the airwaves with misinformation,half-truths, rumour and gossip.

Athletes, but particularly the black ones have stop listening to publicists, team media relations folks,agents and anyone else who tells them it's a swell idea to go mute when a situation like this arises.

Black athletes must accept that heterosexual white American men are the world's biggest gossips-they are almost gay with their penchant for gossiping,slandering and badmouthing other people. So you must be proactive,not reactive as far as beating H.W.A.M to the punch and getting your side out first.

A hetero white man to his mirror....

~"Mirror, mirror on the wall~
~Who is the gayest man of them all?"~

The mirror responds

~"Well, white man if it's about gossip~ ~this much is true, the gayest man on~
~Earth must certainly be you"~

Oh, lighten up white folks, I'm just funnin' with ya'. :-)

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 7, 2010 4:36 AM | Report abuse

the only way to deal with this Haynesworth mess is to ignore it. It only has validity if its in the media, people read it, talk about it and generate interest and frenzy. Ignore it, don't participate in it, forget the Redskins and all this nonsense - its a lousy product - stop buying it until they figure out the product sucks, generates no interest and they get it corrected.

Posted by: outrbnksm | December 7, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to sue Albert. I'd like to sue him for all the money that I've spent on my tickets for the last two years to watch him sulk, limp off the field with a boo-boo, show up late, lay on the ground while the running back heads off down field - and for providing fuel to the race fire. Maybe old Albert could prove something on the field, then he wouldn't have to defend himself on the radio. This ain't about anything except the fact that he is overpaid, under performs and fans are just plain sick of the lack of effort from the team. I'd like my money back- where do I file my suit?

Posted by: loanphd | December 7, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Snow White references are pretty gay

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | December 7, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Shanahan succeeded with dividing and distracting the team even though that was not their intention. Or was it? Maybe Shanahan sees this as a way to separate the people he wants from those who crumble under the pressure. One can only imagine how the Ravens (or other well managed teams with very good players) would handle this. When the foundation is rotten you need to start over with that too. Seems that is what is happening. There was no chance of competing at a very high level this year. Why not use it to demo the rotten foundation - and start with the good pieces to build a stronger team. Even if that was not the plan (and it might have been for Shanahan), it has become the circumstance. So use it. Mr., Haynesworth personal life is none of my or your business, but if it carries over to the team, then it is the team's business, just like with you and me with work and home. I am a fan of the NFL and particularly the Redskins. Sit back, let Shanahan, Allen, and Snyder rebuild the team and see how it turns out. In the meantime, as suggested above, enjoy the Caps, and college basketball, and be a fan of the NFL. Ravens are close enough you can be a fan and attend games. Enjoy the development of James Davis for the Redskins, Brandon Banks, and some of the other bright spots so far this year. The Redskins will be better if they can stick with the plan (no not Vinny's plan, Shanahan's plan.)

Posted by: bfjam | December 7, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

hey crapscrapscrsaps if you are such a caps fan and redskins hater why are you even commenting on this article? duh!

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | December 7, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

"Snow White references are pretty gay"

Heh-heh,Touched a nerve huh?

Look, I'm just having some fun. Take no offense.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan need to go ALREADY!!! Man, this coach is going bring down this team MORE THAN THEY ALREADY ARE.

The Broncos played in Superbowls before Shanhan became their coach. OK, they didn't win the Superbowl they appeared in; however it wasn't Shanahan it was Dan Reeves team.

Shanahan didn't draft John Elway it was Dan Reeves. All Shanahan did was added Terrell Davis to complete the offense. Don't criticize my post talk to Jake Plummer about this OLD A.S.S. coach Haynesworth. Jake Plummer will give you the scoop about this old possum.

Posted by: clifton3 | December 7, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clifton3 | December 7, 2010 7:34 AM

You f'ing moron.

Posted by: craig81 | December 7, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

being an ArmchairGM is pretty gay.

No need for a response, it's all good

Posted by: CBT2 | December 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | December 7, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Exactly. This guy and the John Feinsteins of the world hate that the Skins will always be top billing in this town. They need to get over themselves.

Posted by: moseley_brian | December 7, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Sean Taylor was a great teammate and human...he always listened to the coaches and came in early for mini-camp...oh wait, ummmm never mind. Ok, well he never got in trouble,,,,opps sorry wrong again. But hey he hit people hard so yes, he was a great Redskin and person :) I love how people forget the truth so easily.

Posted by: cm88 | December 7, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and REMOVE ALL DOUBT.

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

ArmchairGM - This is not a black / white issue. Keep your racist garbage to yourself. This is about not letting one player think he is bigger then his team.

ArmchairGM, when did Phillip Daniels become a white man?

Posted by: anw821 | December 7, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"there's plenty of players that's late, have been late."

Albert should only worry about himself being late and Silvia Mena.

Posted by: pearlbullets | December 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

riggosrag.com says that Haynesworth's release is imminent.

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | December 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Redskins last place. Nats last place. Wizards last place. Soccer team last place. Caps an anomoly. Mystics ahh forget that. Cure?? Don't attend games.

Posted by: boyn4884 | December 7, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, lighten up white folks, I'm just funnin' with ya'. :-)”
——————

Oh, the white folks can laugh at that without any problem, but would you do the same if the comment had been made towards a black man? Or would you start crying: Oh, the racism! How my daddy suffered! Oh, how my grand-daddy suffered! Oh, how bad I have had it at the hands of the white men!

Oh, lighten up black folks, I'm just funnin' with ya'. :-)

Posted by: hock1 | December 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that "ArmchairGM" is Lavar Arrington. His posts sound like Lavar's logic and the race-baiting seals the deal for me. Lavar, you sound bitter that the supposedly less populat Kevin & Rock show got the scoop instead of you and Dukes.

This is just speculation.

But if it is you Lavar, I just wanted to mention that it's pronounced "SIM-I-LAR", not "SIM-YOU-LAR", you moron.

Posted by: jakeyrotten | December 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

At this point, if AH92 can help us beat Dallas so we can at least get to 3-3 in our
Division, than I'm for that. This whole
season will be a disaster if Dallas ends
up number 3 in the Division and we're, by
default, number 4 -- especially after everything else that this team has endured
throughout this season. After the Dallas
game, then get rid of him. Beating Dallas
will be worth all the millions of Synder's
money, at least to my mind.

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 7, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Could Kevin and Rock have kissed Fat Albert's butt any more than they did? Don't think so. Those guys suck. Which is why Fat Albert probably called into their moronic show..................

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Shannahan has brain washed you all, you guys really think Albert deserves blame all he did was miss some minicamps and Shannahan has had his panties in a bunch since Man up Shannahan stop hurting the team you say your looking out for the teams best interest well your lying your looking out for your own damn best interest go back to Denver theres an opening

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 7, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | December 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

This was not from the organization. Haynesworth was out at the american tap room until 2am thursday morning (that is wednesday night into thursday morning). A waiter there showed Haynesworth’s bill to a Comcast reporter (apparently Haynesworth likes the drink: Skinny B-iaach on the Rag).
The Comcast reporter checked with players who said that Haynesworth was definitely hung over. So they reported it. Haynesworth himself admitted that he was out till “closing” at the Tap Room, but said he stopped drinking “around 12:30 or so”.

There are more reports that Haynesworth was late to practice Friday because he showed up to practice smelling like alcohol, the team tried to get him to take a breath-analyzer, he refused and called the union who informed the team that they were not able to force Haynesworth to take a breath analyzer. That’s why Haynesworth was late to practice, and why the team didn’t let him practice.

The “organization” is not leaking this stuff, the players are. They have been seeking out reporters to get this story out there, they are fed up with his behavior.

Many of the players are on the record saying that Haynesworth is not willing to be a professional, and is not willing to help the team. Phillip Daniels, a self-described friend of Albert, put his name on the record and said:

“He let himself down. But in the process of letting yourself down, you let your teammates down in a lot of ways.”

“He just needs to think about what he’s doing on the football part of things and know that people are counting on you. Not the coaches, Not the organization, but your teammates are counting on you. That’s what I play for every day, my teammates. That’s the part of the game that slipped by Haynesworth.”

So don’t think that the “organization” is damaging Haynesworth. Haynesworth has done a pretty good job of doing that himself, and his teammates are the ones who are sick of it.

Posted by: butche106 | December 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

True Mike Shannahan didn't get John Elway but before Shannahan Elway had pretty average numbers then after he was playing the best football of his career, anyone with half a football brain knows that. To discredit that is simply ignorant. No he didn't draft Elway, but he got Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Darrien Gordan and drafted or replaced a majority of the offensive line and runninging back with Terrell Davis, which everyone knows where the major reasons the broncos finally won a superbowl in the first place. Thats a lot of turnover to discount in any argument especially in dc where we know how hard it is to get solid lineman, he had john elway so lets ignore the team building? Lol. Ridiculous. When Shannahan got Elway, elways was in his mid 30's and many people said he was done in the league because he lost a step and declining arm strength...so it's not like he had him in his prime.

To blame this season on Shannahan is a real waste to be honest with you. The offense has players constantly wide open on plays, now if they don't catch the ball or fumble it away are we going to blame the coach? If Haslett puts you in the position to make tackles or knock down a ball or get an interception and you don't, does that make the system bad? The redskins are last in yardage but really close to the at 31st is the patriots does that make there defense awful? Would you have anyone question if there system can work? No, its crazy to think. Eventually it comes down to this, PLAYERS HAVE TO DO WHAT THERE OUT THERE TO DO AND MAKE PLAYS. And the REDSKINS HAVE TO FIND PLAYERS THAT CAN DO THAT. WE HAVE LET ALOT OF THEM GO STUPIDLY (Trent Green, Karnard Lang, Brian Mitchell, Ryan Clark...I could go on and on, which where great with the skins and jus as good with other teams.) Those guys where real players the team let go for big money free agents that where past there prime and top draft picks that never worked out.

We have as an organization given away more great players than I can count for over the hill bust, and high draft pick bust before Shannahan ever got here. At least now the best and hardest working players play and the others sit on the bench, which honestly its about damn time, maybe now we can start knocking off this dead weight and start getting REAL players an for once KEEPING them as well.

Posted by: culprit59 | December 7, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess people forget that one year Sean Taylor wouldn't even return Joe Gibbs phone calls during the 'voluntary' sessions. PUHLEASE, I'm tired of holding the OTAs and min-camps against AH...they were GAWDDAMM VOLUNTARY -- LIke it or not Shanahan --VOLUNTARY!!!
Has AH screwed this UP? MOST DEFINTELY. Has Shanahan screwed this UP? Most definitely.

It all falls on the lap of the U.S.S. Snyder. Once again it's taking on water, and the ship is listing....

Release the Clown (AH) now,let him go rant and vent some more somewhere else, and add it to the failed works of one Vincent AHole Cerrato!

In fact, lose at least half the current 53 man roster on January 3rd, tell Snyder to enjoy his pennance for ever trying to be a football person, and let's try this all over again by collecting some young talent... 2010 prediction: 6-10; 2012 prediction: 7-9

And for the first time, some home games with less than 40,000 people in attendance!

Posted by: wagenstill | December 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

ArmchairGM, when did Phillip Daniels become a white man?

Posted by: anw821 | December 7, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday, when he played company man and jumped on the "AH is the problem" bandwagon.

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 7, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Why is Bruce Allen so silent on all this?

Posted by: splitbill | December 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

There will always be racism in this world as long as there are pitifully ignorant fools like armchairGM.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

ArmchairGM and SPUD2 was OJ guilty or innocent?

Posted by: rfe18 | December 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

As Dandy Don would say " turn out the lights the party's over" RIP

Posted by: RealConservative | December 7, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Why might a "hatter" possibly criticize you albert, help us understand...

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Why is Bruce Allen so silent on all this?

Posted by: splitbill | December 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Because he's the GM and he's letting the HC handle it! Sweet right? I know we're not used to it around here but def a positive in all this.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 7, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

A hetero white man to his mirror....

~"Mirror, mirror on the wall~
~Who is the gayest man of them all?"~

The mirror responds

~"Well, white man if it's about gossip~ ~this much is true, the gayest man on~
~Earth must certainly be you"~

Oh, lighten up white folks, I'm just funnin' with ya'. :-)

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 7, 2010 4:36 AM

I see racism is alive and well, and all over this blog.

Posted by: hithere1 | December 7, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatseeker690069

Because I enjoy the traffic wreck that the Redskins have become, heat. Last year seemed to be the best ever: 4-12, deer-in-the-headlights coach, the team suing near-homeless grannies on page A1 as they continued to claim hundreds of thousands of people on a waiting list. I mean you gotta admit: what an AWESOME YEAR. Who knew this one would be better heat?

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 8, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | December 7, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian

Hahahahaha. Just like the Redskins will alway be sold out and always have a waiting list (with real names on it), they'll "always" be "top" billing. Oh, wait...

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 8, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatseeker690069

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 8, 2010 1:09 AM

So then you should love all the attention Steinberg is paying the 'Skins, since it gives you a chance to watch the soap opera from a different angle. And you just said you love the soap opera. So...why are you complaining again about Steinz's 'Skins coverage?

Can't have it both ways.

Posted by: hithere1 | December 8, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

Can't have it both ways.

Posted by: hithere1 |

Um, I never complained. I love his coverage. If by complaint you meant my first "Whatever" sorry to (so easily) confuse you. I *love* the way the team is playing, management is...er, managing (?), and Dan is covering it.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 8, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse