Posted at 10:01 AM ET, 12/ 9/2010

How one fan reacted to a Redskins season-ticket offer

By Dan Steinberg

Like I've frequently said, I don't feel like this year's Redskins season is anything close to the disaster of 2009. Maybe it's because of the lack of a bingo caller controversy, or because no front-office personnel types are hosting Friday morning radio shows, or because stadium signs haven't been banned, or because the fake field goal gates haven't been swinging, or because with one exception there doesn't seem to be locker-room infighting or existential despair.This fall hasn't been great, and the future is a bit hazy, but it just doesn't feel like catastrophe inside my house.

Still, some fans are betraying a certain lack of hope that's very reminiscent of last year. And thus, I present this video, made by one fan whose name miraculously bubbled up to the top of the team's season-ticket waiting list. Rather than rejoice at his good fortune...well, see for yourself.

(The fan in question was a listener of The Kirk McEwen & Mike O'Meara Morning Show on 105.9 The Edge, which is where I got the video.)

By Dan Steinberg  | December 9, 2010; 10:01 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaVale McGee's missed dunk
Next: Jayson Werth's 2011 production

Comments

If this video was recorded in the last couple weeks, it is even more conclusive proof that the Redskins are NOT sold out and that the waitlist is NOT real.

Why do I say that? Renewals aren't due yet, and the stadium is notionally sold out in its entirety. If seats are being offered mid-season, that means they were available at the start of the season.

THAT means the stadium wasn't sold out to start the year.

And THAT means that the waitlist isn't real, or else they'd have gotten the stadium filled for this season.

I agree with his video 100%. Stop lying to the fans, Mr. Snyder -- if your stadium isn't sold out, make the unsold seats available on a single game basis like lots of other teams do. That would let those of us who are currently season ticket holders and who want to attend some but not all games to avoid buying your meaningless pre-season tickets.

Posted by: wahoo2x | December 9, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

That isn't too creative. The guy should have set it to music with lowlights from this season!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | December 9, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | December 9, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

ahhhh, this is GREAT!

Going according to Snyders pattern, we have hope and stablity for another 1-2 seasons, then Shanahan will retire, Bruce allen will pursue other interests, and Snyder will hire Larry Micheal to be coach and Snyder will assume GM duties.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The Lions will make the playoffs before the Redskins do.

Posted by: jeadpt | December 9, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thediesel | December 9, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@wahoo2x -- They start off with a sales weasel personally calling to offer you club seats to see if they can't rob you blind. That's what this call is. It's not for the normal season's tickets; that offer will come shortly after the season, asking for $100 deposits on each.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 9, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

WorstSeat: If that is the case perhaps Dan should do a little homework before posting this video as titled.

Why do Post writers take everything at face value and don't learn the context of their reports?

Posted by: AlfromAlexandria | December 10, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I was called with an offer, about a month after I put my name on the waitlist. Price for two tickets? IIRC on the order of $4000. A life-long Skins fan I was surprised that tickets "opened up" so quickly. I always did wonder what the scam was.

Posted by: fitday19550 | December 10, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

A while back - Dan tha fan's people had said that they are no longer offering tickets to the resellers. From what I've seen during some of the recent home games, I think that was a lie. Also, how can a stadium be sold out and a season ticket list 'supposedly' number into the thousands when there are tickets available to resellers? Dan, please stop lying to the fans. I tend to enjoy the game experience more during the Ravens games - at least it's a majority of the home team fans.
Of course they could easily say that fans are selling off their tickets to visiting team's fans - yes, I can believe that. But, to the extent that is clearly evident in the stadium? Lies, all lies. Show us the waiting list. I bet if that list is culled and the passed away person's on that list are removed - that list will cease to exist.

Posted by: MDL7 | December 11, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

LOVE IT!!!! As a current season ticket holder, tomorrow and January 2nd are my LAST opportunities to P1SS MY MONEY AWAY.

I hope they once again become a proud and competitive team in the future, but it won't be at my expense. I've had my tickets since year 2 at FedEx, have upgraded a couple times, and have finally reached my limit of exasperation! The parking now is ridiculous, the food and drink a small fortune, way too many fans from the other team, and the performance of the team couldn't even get them into a college bowl game.

I LOVE the Redskins and always will, but the current stewardship under Dan Snyder needs to find another financial scapegoat -- I'm DONE.

Sincerely,

A Fan since 1964

Posted by: wagenstill | December 11, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

This is my first year with season tickets. The main thing I've learned is that the fans (like this one who thinks everything about the Redskins sucks) are more of a disappointment than the team is!

Hopefully folks like him will stay at home. It helps us true fans upgrade seats more quickly. And there are plenty of people waiting in line that will gladly take the seats.

My stadium experience has been great. I drive up and back to NC for every game. The fan experience can't be all bad if folks like me keep coming back.

Posted by: perryalan | December 12, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse