Posted at 9:54 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Redskins encourage you to go buy tickets

By Dan Steinberg

Sunday's loss to the Giants wasn't one of the cheerier moments in recent Redskins seasons. It was a blowout. It was against a division rival. It was filled with blunders. And it was the gonging soul-shattering death knell for this Future Is Now season.

So, maybe some Redskins fans aren't feeling particularly high on the team as they log-on to their computers Monday morning. The franchise, though, has just the fix: reminders that you can get good seats through StubHub, the official ticket marketplace of the Washington Redskins.

These notices came from Reader D., a former season ticket holder who declined to renew his seats this season. Last week, he got a postcard in the mail encouraging him to re-up for season tickerts, with the offer of free tickets to this season's final two home games if he did so. Then, on Monday, within five minutes, he got these two messages, arguing that "With the season winding down, every fan wants one last chance to get in on the action and cheer on the Redskins." The subject line for one of them went like this: "Tickets to the last two games are hot - sell yours today."

I believe that qualifies as a mixed message.

(For the record, 400-level tickets for the Bucs game are going for as little as $30 or $35 on StubHub thus far.)

By Dan Steinberg  | December 6, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who had the worst week in D.C. sports?
Next: Redskins to Fans: "Progress Cannot Be Stopped"

Comments

The $hit these guys pull is revolting.

Posted by: MDSkinsFan | December 6, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who gives Dan $nyder one penny of their money is a complete fool.

Posted by: SavedByZero | December 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg, no best and worst this week?? I know you (and the rest of us too) have given up on the season, but those posts are the only skins-related thing I have to look forward to on Monday mornings!

Posted by: bigtizzle03 | December 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm buying tickets -- to see the Caps, Nats, DC United and even the damn Wizards.

But I've already bought my last ticket to see the Redskins -- for at least so long as Greedy Little Danny the Midget Megalomaniac continues to own and operate this disgrace of a football organization.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I think this is a complete non-story. I get emails from Stub Hub/Redskins continuously throughout the season about both buying and selling tickets to the games (since I think I am somehow on the list as as season ticket holder and the wait list). I also get a DC ticket update (and I live in Houston) from Stub Hub regularly. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 6, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Tampa Bay game is blacked out in the DMV area for a number of reasons.

Posted by: pearlbullets | December 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

No "Best and Worst" anymore??? Steinberg gave up on that? Great game by JC yesterday...

Posted by: dbunkr | December 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 6, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

completely agree, it's a total non story. And Reader D needs to relax. But can't fault Steinz, it's a good excuse to give Skins fans who hate Snyder anyway a reason to vent.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

SORRY STEINZ, I HAVE TO CALL YOU OUT...
---------------------------------------

This will probably be a running bone of contention between me and you all season. You think Jason Campbell is a real gentleman who was treated poorly by the Redskins in all sorts of ways. You're hoping for him to excel in Oakland to prove the Redskins wrong. You think all he needs is a little stability and trust, and that he can excel in the NFL, even in the Black Hole.

Me, I think Campbell was a real gentleman, a great friend to the media, a gem in the community and a genuine role model. But I also think he was a below-average NFL quarterback who held the Redskins back for years.

I've never been able to forget the way the offense took off the year he was injured and Todd Collins took over, or his 20-32 record as a starter. So I figure he'll struggle horribly in Oakland, and Donovan McNabb will pretty much immediately end any Campbell nostalgia.

Anyhow, Jason Campbell made his Oakland debut last night. Sure, it was a preseason game, but dang if it didn't feel awfully familiar. He was 7-of-13 for 49 yards and a passer rating of 62.7. His offense produced a total of 0 points when he was on the field, through the first series of the second quarter. The reviews were decidedly meh, like this one, from the San Jose Mercury News:

It didn't take much imagination to convince yourself that you were watching the 2009 Raiders offense. Under Campbell's guidance, the Raiders managed only 68 yards and four first downs on four drives without scoring any points.

And yet Campbell remained optimistic, talking about a deep pass that was caught out-of-bounds, for example.

"We missed it by a half-step," Campbell said. "That shows you there is a reason to be confident about things."

That sounds familiar, too. But go ahead. Draft him in your fantasy league. Bet on the Vegas over of six Raiders wins. Keep calling me a hater. I can take it.

By Dan Steinberg
---------------------------------

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Ever since the opening game, where anything can happen, here are the records:

Jason Campbell: 6-2 (in games he played)
Donovan McNabb: 4-7

Salaries
Jason Campbell: $2.8 million
Donovan McNabb: $11.2 million

Contracts
Jason Campbell: $7 million
Donovan McNabb: $78 million

Age
Jason Campbell: 28
Donovan McNabb: 34

Draft picks
The Redskins traded up in the draft to get Campbell, surrendering a third round pick in the 2005 draft, along with first and fourth round picks in 2006. That was all wasted when the Redskins dumped Campbell after trading a 2nd and 3th round pick to get McNabb.

So, in dumping Campbell for McNabb, the Redskins let go of (1) 1st round pick, (1) 2nd round pick, two (2) 3rd round picks, and (1) 4th round pick.

Is McNabb really worth 5 valuable, high round, draft picks and $70 million more than Campbell, especially considering the 6 year age difference? Yes we all know the contract can be voided after this season, but if he plays and the contract isn't restructured, this is what he'll earn: $77 million.

Bottom Line: it has become plainly evident that some people were wrong about Jason Cambpell.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This is why I will only go to games when I get the tickets for free or by doing something like the red cross blood drive for tickets. It's for a worthy cause and I avoid giving the Danny any of my money. I will also tailgate so I don't have to buy any overpriced drinks in Fedex!

Posted by: SkinsFan4LifeSva | December 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Last year I received a "voice mail" from Jim Zorn congratulating me on my name coming off the season ticket waiting list. Can't wait to get Shanahan's.

Posted by: katedog | December 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't go to FedEx Field. Boycott the games. I only want to see Danny Boy sitting on Big Al's lap in his suite licking a lollipop in front of an empty stadium.

Posted by: jmarks09 | December 6, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are putting out a lousy on-field product at high prices in a stadium that's a pain to get to. What makes them think they can lure me from my warm couch? Why should I go out into the cold to watch them fail?

The Nats, well, that's another story: Even a bad night at a Nats game isn't too bad. It's summer, and there's a leisurely pace to a baseball game. The Wizards? The price is right, and the convenience level is pretty high. Caps games have been impossible for ages--maybe that's a good thing, as the Caps are legitimate contenders.

But the Redskins aren't a very attractive draw.

Posted by: ouij | December 6, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a complete non-story... I am somehow on the list as as season ticket holder and the wait list...and I live in Houston.

Posted by: suzannepdc

Um: you are on BOTH the season ticket AND wait list... and you live in Houston? AND you think an item that illuminates the truth about how Redskins tickets are READILY AVAILABLE even though the team insists it is sold out AND has a wait list of 200,000 *isn't" a story? Your commute to the games must be horrible, Suzanne. How many more years will you be on the waist list? Maybe THAT'S a story for your Houston readers, Dan?

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | December 6, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse