Posted at 11:08 AM ET, 12/ 9/2010

Stephen Strasburg wants to tell you about his 5k

By Dan Steinberg

Did you know that Stephen Strasburg is hosting a 5k run and walk in his hometown to benefit San Diego State baseball? Well, he is.

When pro athletes host events like this, they often offer themselves up to media outlets for interviews, with the understanding that the athlete will talk about sports stuff, and the media outlet will promote the charity stuff, and everyone will get something out of it.

Strasburg, though, is really, really, really excited to promote the inaugural Stephen Strasburg 5k Walk & Fun Run With Tony Gwynn, Benefiting Aztec Baseball. He could hardly keep his mind on anything else during an appearance this week with Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton on XX Sports 1090 in San Diego. And thus, I present some of his finest answers.

On dealing with the national attention in the minors: "It wasn't too bad, it was just something that I had to deal with and learn from. You know, it's part of the game. But you know, we have something really really great going on here for San Diego State baseball on January 15. It's the Inaugural 5k Walk and Fun Run with Tony Gwynn. So we really just want to get it out there and let everybody know to come out on the 15th at 7 a.m. It's gonna be a really fun time, you get a lot of cool things, complimentary tickets to Padres games, free signed baseball photo, free haircut voucher, complimentary tickets to Aztecs baseball. It's a really, really good bang for your buck."

On the way he took to pro coaching with the Nats: "You know, I try and be a leader, no matter whether I was a rookie or a 10-year veteran. I'm just gonna go about my business and try and do things the way I was taught here at State. And one of the things about playing for a coach like Gwynn who was very active in the community, who gave back to the program, I kind of want to follow in his footsteps. And it's a great way to do that here on January 15th with this 5k Walk and Run."

On dealing with the media spotlight: "Like I said, it's just a part of the game, and it's something that is there, and you can either shy away from it or you can embrace it. So I'm learning a lot of things, I'm a very timid person. But like I said, through the media, through talking to you, we're able to get out all this information for a great cause here with this run. And hopefully we get a great turnout because it's a great deal, No. 1, and No. 2, it's for a good cause. And depending on how many people we get out this year, we'd like to do this every year."

On what he felt after his injury: "I didn't really know what happened. I felt fine after, but the tests showed that there was a tear. So it is what it is. I'm taking it in stride. I'm getting a lot stronger for it. I guess one of the big things that I've been able to do is really improve my conditioning, so running the 5k in January shouldn't be that big of a deal at all."

On whether the Nats tried to change his arm action: "You know, I can't really say that. Definitely on here today to just talk about this 5k. Like I said, it's going to a good cause, that's our main focus right now. The Nationals are really busy with the Winter Meetings and everything, so like I said, right now, we're focusing on this awesome charity event coming up and trying to get lots of support for it."

On the Jayson Werth signing: "Hey Lee, sorry, I was just told that I have to shoot a commercial for this 5k, so uh...."

Anyhow, here's the Web site for the 5k. I'm told it should be pretty awesome, and it's for a good cause.

By Dan Steinberg  | December 9, 2010; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jayson Werth's 2011 production
Next: Orakpo says he'd "love to still play with Haynesworth"

Comments

He's got a future in NASCAR.

Posted by: joemktg1 | December 9, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

He's got a future in NASCAR.

Posted by: joemktg1 | December 9, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

You got to appreciate his focus.

It is almost as bad as bryce harper saying, 'you know' 20+ times in response to every question.

Posted by: pehb5 | December 9, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing this link. Wish I was in San Diego as it looks like a lot of fun and for a worthy cause!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | December 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, when is the event???

Posted by: CapsNut | December 9, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael thinks Strasburg did just an ok job at promoting the event.

Posted by: sbelzr | December 9, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I would totally run this 5K if I were in San Diego. Fun worthy cause. All rehab and no play makes Stras a dull boy.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | December 9, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think he needs to brush up a little on that media training the Nats gave him last summer. Making sure you repeat the message is one thing, but every other sentence????? Oh well, it's just good to know he's alive and well; this interview provides a good excuse for a local (WP) reporter to call him and more deeply explore some of the baseball topics he briefly mentions. But you might want to wait until after the 5K race.

Posted by: Natzfan | December 9, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I like it. Very smooth transitions - give them a little bit of what they want and make an appropriate segue. It wasn't forced but he was focussed in like a laser. The boy just went up a few points in my estimation.

Posted by: CoachD1 | December 9, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse