Posted at 10:22 AM ET, 12/20/2010

Vincent Gray vs. Larry Michael on McNabb

By Dan Steinberg

Next up in the never-ending cycle of Redskins Feuds: D.C. mayor-elect Vincent Gray vs. Voice of the Redskins Larry Michael!

This fun little back-and-forth started Friday afternoon, when Gray was asked by the political press corps what he thought of McNabb being benched. Via City Paper:

"How do you sign a guy for five years for what, almost a $50 million contract and then sit him down--for Rex Grossman? Ha, ha. Rex Grossman is gonna start? Did you see his one play!? He was the baloney in a sandwich, and..." At this point, Gray stumbled over his words trying to describe the folly involved when McNabb was benched during the last minutes of a game against Detroit, and Grossman fumbled the game away in his first play. "You got me going, guys--the Redskins still had a chance to win that game!"

Well, when one of the most important local politicians openly suggests that the team's new starting quarterback is a piece of deli meat -- a piece of deli meat in a sandwich, what's more -- that cannot stand. The team must respond. And respond it did, via a Larry Michael appearance on ESPN 980's Sports Reporters.

"I will say this about the mayor making a statement," Michael responded. "I really hope he has a tremendously successful tenure, because you know the D.C. area and Washington, D.C. sure needs a good strong mayor. But for him to be commenting in that respect about Rex Grossman. I just think, you know, doesn't he have more important things to do than to talk about Rex Grossman in that manner? I mean, it's a football decision. It's a football decision."

"Yeah," Andy Pollin agreed. "And it's not unusual for a mayor to talk football, but to say something negative about a player is unusual."

"That was a mean thing to say about the guy," Michael continued. "Has he even met Rex Grossman? Does he even know what Rex Grossman's record is? Seems to me...I don't want to get too excited, because I don't know the context that comment was made. It was funny, but you've got to agree, very disrespectful. And again, he's running a city, and if he's gonna make...anyway, I'm going too far."

No no no, Larry. Not far enough. There are precious few storylines to follow in these last two weeks, now that Haynesworth's gone and Landry and Orakpo are injured and Rexy's already been sexy. We could really use a running battle between you and the mayor-elect to keep us interested.

By Dan Steinberg  | December 20, 2010; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen says McNabb trade "was a good move"
Next: Who had the worst week in Washington sports

Comments

I thought it was Larry Weisman that made those comments?

Posted by: FW_555 | December 20, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

divisive journalism...this cr@p society can do with out. I should be fired for reading this at work...I am going to go tell my boss.

Posted by: tttyler | December 20, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tttyler | December 20, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ripoff Danny' servants, Pollin and Michael, create a script to defend his other incompetent servants, Shanahan, Kylie-boy and Groosman. Snyders entire career has been one of marketing garbage and making money off of failed businesses. No difference here.

After this year, McNabb will move on to Arizona or Minnesota and be successful for another 4-5 years, while Washington will struggle to win 20 games in that time.

Posted by: mcstowy | December 20, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Danny's boot licking announcer better not upset the mayor too much. It's just going to increase the graft necessary to get the Skins back in DC.

Posted by: kieran2001 | December 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael was dead on in this instance. Gray's comments were inappropriate. And given how Rex played yesterday, throwing more TDs than any Redskins qb in 5 year, Gray looks pretty foolish.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 20, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Can Larry Michael crawl any futher up Dan Snyder's butt??? I think Skins nation should chip in and get Larry a membership in AAA so he can get towed out of Snyder's A$$ LOL.

Posted by: Davo61 | December 20, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michaels, needed to shut up and stay out of it. To those who defend him and say the mayor elect should not had said anything, are dead wrong. The Mayor is a fan and is entitled to voice his thoughts on the matter. He was ask a direct question and he answered it, case closed. Larry Michaels is a suck up, and b4 all of you jump on the Sexy Rexy band wagon after one game, let me remind you he had three turn overs yesterday, two picks and a fumble. The last pick costing them the game. It's what he does. There are two games left, so b4 anyone pronounces him King of the football world, lets see how he makes out. Bet he has more picks than touchdowns.

Posted by: aviator3 | December 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

D.C. better hope Gray is a better Mayor than he is judging football decisions.. Because right now after what he said about Grossman and then seeing Grossman's performance vs Dallas.. Gray is looking like a IDIOT!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | December 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Gray is an ass.

Posted by: bal503 | December 20, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It was totally inappropriate for the Mayor elect to insult Grossman. He did nothing to deserve that - he's just trying to do his job.

That said, every time Larry Michaels spouts out the company line, I feel the need to take a shower. He seems to be like the prototype corporate communications guy who would say that the sky is green if that's what his bosses told him to say. He'd be an excellent White House Press Secretary.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | December 20, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't everyone know that it is ok to disrespect a white guy but not a black guy? And this moron was elected mayor of your city? And I say moron, not because of his trash talk, that was just plain stupid, I say it because of his statement: "How do you sign a guy for five years for what, almost a $50 million contract and then sit him down...". Hey, Mr. Gray, the McNabb signing and subsequent benching is called making a mistake and nipping it in the bud. What are you going to do when you hire your friends and they don't produce? Keep robing the city?

Posted by: hock1 | December 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok, gotta chime in here. 1st, Gray is entitled to his opinion. I'm personally glad that he is a passionate fan; too many people in the DC area are not actually from here and are not Redskins fans. 2nd, Rex Grossman had a horrible game. How is throwing two picks (should have been three) and fumbling equate to a good game? The Cowboys looked like they relaxed after the built a 21 point lead and that's why Grossman put up good numbers; plus no one has much film on him in this system. I'll save my analysis of Grossman until after the Giants game. All these journalists and fans saying that Shanahan is vindicated in his move after one game with such a dubious performance is ridiculous.

Posted by: 1302lt1 | December 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael needs to go, he is awful at everything he does, and he was awful when he was at George Washington University. He's just another reason why the entire fan base is fed up with Dan Snyder.

He is a total homer who has no opinion of his own.

Posted by: ssktigers | December 20, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Soo look anyone can comment on the skins. Larry! why? because we spend large amounts of money year in and year out on the redskins. For the mayor-elect to make such a statement shows him to be a redskins fan and a washingtonian. If there is one thing amercans and washingtonians in particular should be able to respectfully disaggree is sports. let alone the REDSKINS!! Larry you are a reskins puppet and the redskins shouldnt be involved in washington politics because you will be abusing your fans. its one thing to be named a racial slur (which i ignore in the name of my religion like zest for fall football fever) but it is quite another for a multi-million dollar corporation which gives the impression of being non-political to get involved in the politics of its fans. watch it! clinton a clad-johnson

Posted by: big540man | December 20, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Would it be out of line to suggest that the mayor-elect's comments wouldn't have been as sharp if it was Grossman (that is, if he was the once-designated franchise QB) being benched for McNabb (if he was the journeyman backup)? If you know what I mean.

I like McNabb, and not just because he's a good human being, which everyone loves to state when talking about him. He's a good QB and Philly's perpetually malcontent fan base never gave him his full credit for what he did there.

His stock has somewhat diminished over the course of the past few months but that will make him a great value to whatever team he plays for next.

Posted by: Fitz157 | December 20, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I know exactly what you mean. I too had the thought that this would have been much less of a big deal if McNabb and Grossman had both been white or vice versa. And you can be damn sure Grey wouldn't have made his comment.

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 20, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

So, just because McNabb is black and Grossman is white that is the only reason Gray commented on him. He has to keep his mouth shut if it the comment involves two different races. Maybe, just maybe, McNabb has earned more respect over the course of his career than Shanahan treated him with this season and this is what Gray is commenting on. But I guess I am a racist because I am a black guy and think Shanahan has been out-coached many times this season. My personal analysis of Shanahan has nothing to do with the poor personnel decisions he has made, the botched handling of players, being out-coached most Sundays, being fired in Denver less than two years ago, hiring his son to call games (nepotism), and having a 5-9 record; no it all has to do with the fact he is white and I am black. Yikes!

Posted by: 1302lt1 | December 20, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I love it when white people factor in race while accusing someone else of doing it. Pretty hypocritical dont you think? It seems its OK for the white posters to play the race card but a black mayor cant dislike a white QB or he is playing the race card for doing so? Give me a break white guy with a race complex.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 20, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

This man, Gray, will continue to say dumb things, those things that are unfounded. He's an idiot to say the least. His stupidity will show in his performance as mayor. He's already given us lots to determine that.

Posted by: faineant | December 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I hear Gray is calling for volunteers to work his inauguration ceremony. Don't do it! You will regret, as I've heard others say, working tirelessly for him to receive nothing at the end of the day. You will be working for Gray's friends to benefit from his administration as we are already seeing. Don't be duped again by the Count.

Posted by: faineant | December 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse