Posted at 5:03 PM ET, 12/15/2010

What Chris Cooley did after the Bucs game

By Dan Steinberg

A lot of people handled the intestine-shredding loss to the Buccaneers in lot of different ways. Here's what Chris Cooley did: he became a pottery-making machine. He got home from the game shortly before 7, soon went to his studio, and didn't stop until 2 in the morning. As you can see, that makes for a lot of pottery.

"Couldn't sleep," Cooley told me Tuesday afternoon, after helping pack gifts at a downtown FedEx store. "After that game? Can't sleep. Just super frustrated."

There is, still, the perception by fans that players just don't care. At some point, it's useless trying to prove or disprove this one way or the other, but Cooley was still in a funk 48 hours after the loss. I asked when that feeling would end.

"Never," he said. "I still feel like [garbage]."

That's why Cooley reacted the way he did after the missed extra point. First he slammed his helmet into the ground, letting it bounce away crazily.

"Cracked it," he said. "I forgot if we did get the onsides kick, I was gonna have to continue to use the helmet."

Then he booted a sideline garbage can, which is more than could be said for the football used on that extra-point attempt.

"It felt good," he joked. "I kicked it with my left foot, so I didn't get a good kick, but I did kick it and garbage sprayed up in the air."

And then he heard a fan in the front row screaming at the dejected players.

"I played my ass off," Cooley said. "I mean, I played hard, and I played well. And I've got some guy down there screaming at me -- this was like two second after I kicked the garbage can, so was still in a temper tantrum -- and he's screaming we suck and he's never coming back to a game. And I'm like, just be a fan. Just be a fan."

Cooley wasn't telling the guy not to hurt, though. Trust me, he knows from hurting. His wife is a lifelong Redskins fan who grew up in a family of Redskins fans. She was at Sunday's game, too.

"We got in the car, and she said, 'That was the first time I've cried after a game.' She was like, 'We just can't win. It's so frustrating.' But it's not like she's gonna go home and then scream about the Redskins on the radio all week. I mean, she's upset about the game because she was emotionally involved in the game, and she cares about the guys, but she's gonna continue to be a Redskins fan."

But Cooley said he doesn't really resent the people who do call talk radio stations and rant and rave, because they're just frustrated, too. Maybe they don't have a kiln to bake away their frustrations, so they're using radio invective like it's wet clay, shaping their pain into some ghastly metaphor that really doesn't work. I dunno. It's all bad, nowadays. But anyhow, the question is, do players care. Do they really care?

"Do we care?" Cooley said with a sad little smile. "Of course we care. This is our life."

By Dan Steinberg  | December 15, 2010; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Michael defends the FedEx Field experience
Next: First episode of 24/7: Bleeping great

Comments

Yeah, sure, but what about the people who rant and rave via internet comments, huh?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 15, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

""Never," he said. "I still feel like [garbage].""

That's good, Dlan, but this week's WaPo Mr. Falcon award still goes to de Moraes.

"And yet, this relevant artist tweeted Tuesday morning when his show was not nominated for a best-drama Globe: "what the [having sex] ya gonna do? people love zombies and guys in antique suits.""

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 15, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Is the photo a charity thing or is he working at the Fedex store?

Posted by: mack1 | December 15, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Guys like Cooley, who play well and play hard, aren't the ones you should ask if they care. It's the ones who drop passes, seem to have forgotten the apparently new rule about not blocking in the back, fumble, can't block, won't tackle, you know, not doing all the tasks for which they're paid millions of dollars. I mean, I can not play like a pro a lot cheaper than these guys. How hard is it to remember that "If I can see his name I shouldn't touch him"?

Posted by: ronjaboy | December 15, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Fans have been lead in the dessert blindly for the last 20 or so years one crummy season after another “Cooley”. Keep up the good work…we know and see that you care by the way you have and continue to play. Redskins fans have a lot of pride, love and passion for the Redskins. I wished the team as a whole had some…..HTTR..Fight on til you have WON!

Posted by: stoneface1 | December 15, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a few passes could go Cooley's way in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd qtrs?!?!? Stop waiting till he sees prevent defenses in the 4th!

anyhow, if McNabulous could possibly toss a TD to Cooley this week that would help me out a lot.

Posted by: bowie2000 | December 15, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I love Cooley's "just be a fan" comment. He's right. Hail Skins. Don't be a fair-weathered jagoff Skins fan. if you're old enough to remember the 70s, we used to get our butt kicked regularly after George Allen. This has been a rather shi*ty stretch (almost 20 years) but hey, there's always next year.

Posted by: boot1 | December 16, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

"Just be a fan?" We're trying Cools, we really are. How about just be a football player?

Posted by: ox4ox4 | December 16, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I am a fan. I watch every game. I sit on the edge of my seat and watch the team play. Throughout the game I applaud, yell "go"; you'd recognize the fan in me. But somehow, in so many games the spirit named "mediocre" descends on the field. PAT's are missed, unnecessary and badly timed holding happens, or some other foolishness.

Chris, I still applaud, I still yell "go". You got the throw your helmet and have a tantrum, the fan in the stadium was having his.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 16, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

The experienced stadium crowd knows this -- The really, really maddest fans are the ones who bet on the games. And the really really really maddest fans are the ones who bet and are drunk. Cooley oughta know they're there every week.

Posted by: kls1 | December 16, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Fat Cooley is part of the whole problem and the lame fans that chant his name after he catches his signature 5 yard hitch against cover two schemes. He can't do what Winslow did and that is beat man coverage down the seam. Whitten can, Gates can, Gonzales can, but fat little Cooley can't. The team stinks and i don't care if he opens a Pottery Barn in his basement. He is a punk and after his man lover video he did last year with Brennan making fun of Pro-Bowler Witten, i lost all respect and can never see him but for what he is. A fat, dumpy, overachiever, control-rounte running bum.

Posted by: doyouktt | December 16, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Cooley needs to keep that kiln fired up for the next 2 games since he will using it again.

Posted by: oakiedokie | December 16, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

doyouktt everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even pussy ass cowboy fans like you.

Posted by: mack1 | December 16, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 16, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

Awesome post. Skip, is that you? Again, awesome post!

Posted by: password11 | December 16, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

They should put the Redskins Offensive & Defensive Playbooks into Cooley's kiln.

Posted by: Libtard_Ride_Free | December 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

When you've been a fan of the team longer than the guy telling you to "be a fan has been alive and the team has been crappy for 17 years now, it's really hard to take that comment in stride.

Posted by: keino83 | December 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Just like the team, there's nothing of substance inside all those bowls.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | December 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

doyouktt is a troll. A slow one at that.

Posted by: Tiffany010 | December 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

perfect, this explains his couple of drops and a fumble or two most games...hands of stone!. He is typical redskin and relationship with redskins fans(OVER-RATED) He hasn't been the player he was the first couple of years and he should be traded(oh gasp) while they can still get real value for him. He is part of the problem with his goof ball ego, wanting to be a rock star. Not the same kid that came out of utah and now has money and fame to throw him off course. he is the perfect example of how the team and us fans "over-value" our players.I am a true redksins fan and have enjoyed his play but the wheels are coming off the cart for him and this team needs to be blown up.he has been hurt, has fumbled and has plenty of drops to his credit the last couple of years if any of you are honest about it. Keep orakpo and OT williams and everyone else, everyone is fair game to go. coming from a white guy about a white guy i can say little chance of that because we all know "stuck on stupid snyder" sells jerseys for a living. Always root with passion for the skins, especially this weekend. But this team managment and ownership has made us all like battered women and we deserve the beatings we are getting as a team. The football gods are in on it too. because of past behavior, smugness, ineptness and stupidity of our owner and his lapdog, we are seeing the payment of those actions.

Posted by: klangley69 | December 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: klangley69 | December 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

It's okay, Chris. You're still a millionaire.

Posted by: forgetthis | December 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Where can I get some of that pottery?

Posted by: jbeard32 | December 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Redskins sux. Playing bad to get better draft pick. And there are still suckers without lives who will pay to watch that.

Posted by: GeneWells | December 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

can those retards use another adjective other than frustrated?

how about a new word altogether.

may i suggest:

ridiculous, losers, suck, awinlessteam, embarrassing, disgraceful, theteamthatcant

Posted by: membame | December 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

i think that langley69 is spot on!

Posted by: membame | December 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stoneface1 | December 15, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________________

What kind of dessert do you think they have been lead blindly into?

Are you thinking cheesecake, some kind of ice cream, or one my favorites, creme brulee? I like the plain kind, I am not a big fan of the mocha or chocolate ones.

Posted by: SSFromNO | December 16, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Torain, Banks, Williams & Orakpo

Everyone else has got to go

And for all the Kyle & Haslett haters

"Everyone" includes coordinators...

Trade McNabb & Chris Cooley

Get that Heisman Winning QB

Spend other picks on our line

And 2011 will turn out fine.

We all know this will never happen

Im just one fan out here rappin'

So let me take this time to speak

Win 1 more game. Just win this week.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | December 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Cooley should ask for a trade. He is a great player and deserves better then he will get with the Redskins under Snyder's control. Cooley gets yelled at by frustrated fans because they can’t direct their angst at the real problem: Snyder. He populates the team with Haynesworth and Portis (who bypasses the coaches to chat with the owner), creating a dysfunctional organization that can’t be fixed with good citizens like Cooley. And don't any of you dare put it on Vinny. He was always just a "yes" man for Snyder’s moves – note how Snyder promoted him before hiring Zorn. He was setting up a fall guy if the Zorn thing flamed; it did and Vinny took the blame (and a lot of cash).

Snyder is engaged in a fantasy football league where the fans pay his entry fee – hell, they pay him for playing. People who support the team because of” tradition” are delusional. The team is now and for the foreseeable future will be Snyder’s and he is laughing all the way to the bank while giving fans a really crappy product. According to Fortune, the Redskins had operating income of $104 million last year. Folks who contribute their hard earned dollars get what?…. over a decade of virtual irrelevance and embarrassment. But people keep paying. It makes no sense.

Posted by: buster5 | December 16, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Okay, no way should the Skins ever trade this guy. I was kind of buying into the idea that Cooley's one of the few players on the team with any trade value. Now, I'm seeing him as indispensable, because nobody else on the team has that kind of heart. I guess, now that probably means the heartless Skins will likely trade him after he drops a pass.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | December 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Cooley is one of the very few Deadskins who are truly professional. If he wants to play for a good team, maybe the Skins can trade him to a real team, like New England, Pttsburgh, or Philly. As long as he has to play for the likes of Danny-boy or Allen,he will be kicking cans or throwing helmets. The Deadskins are a working definition of the word LOSER. Does Cooley get to be a free agent anytime soon?

Posted by: sameolddoc | December 16, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cooley it's not you. Cooley you don't own the team. Cooley you did not move the Washington Redskins to Maryland. Get my drift.

Posted by: bonggong | December 16, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, the Redskins did lose.

Go GIANTS!

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | December 16, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

To the two posters saying Cooley should go/is part of the problem: It's not his fault passes aren't thrown his way. When he DOES get the ball, he has been fighting for yards as much as he can. How the hell can you say he's part of the problem? You're just overly bitter.

As for getting rid of all but four players, how retarded are you? Yeah, let's just drop everyone who has spent a year in the scheme for new players who haven't played together.

You don't blow up an entire team in one season. You piece it together over time.

Some of you posters are saying some pretty stupid, hateful stuff.. I don't know how you can claim to know what's best when you make narrow minded comments like this.

Posted by: etherealhell | December 17, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, Cooley is bad, bad, bad, no good, trade him away now. To the Cowboys.

Signed
A Cowboys fan

Posted by: kls1 | December 17, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley is why I am still a Redskins fan. Making something about something negative. On the field and off.
HTTR!