Posted at 4:42 PM ET, 01/12/2011

Anthony Armstrong wants Donovan McNabb back

By Dan Steinberg

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

The oddsmakers think Donovan McNabb is about the least likely starting quarterback option for the Redskins in 2011. The team's third-leading receiver, though, would stick with the guy who was dubbed the Franchise Quarterback six months ago.

"Bring my man 5 back,"Armstrong said this week on his Sports Journey Broadcast Network show. "Bring my man 5 back. I want to bring Rex back too, because we have familiarity and everybody has a familiarity with the offense, but I say bring 5 back. I think that one, he's gonna add that extra element that Rex doesn't have -- he's more mobile, he can run. And I think once he gets this year under his belt and gets more confident with the way the offense goes, it'll be more dangerous and more explosive. I think that you've got to bring Donovan back."

Now, this strikes me like wishing that tiny dollar bill parachutes holding little baskets filled with Reese's Pieces would descend from the sky, but it's interesting that Armstrong feels so strongly about it. It's also interesting to hear his thoughts on bringing in a new starting QB in '11.

"If you go through the quarterback situation again, it's gonna make it very shaky for the next season," Armstrong said. "It's gonna be extremely shaky. I hate to say it, [but] you kind of feel like you're gonna go through the same stuff that you went through this year. I think if you bring back the same people and have some continuity and consistency, and let everybody grow together instead of having to start from scratch and kind of wait...I mean, everybody else on the offense is basically one year ahead of him, if we're gonna get somebody new and he's gonna have to lag behind and try to catch up...."

"I think it's easier to bring in o-linemen, d-linemen and teach them what to do, and they can catch on to it. But at the quarterback position, they have to learn what the o-line does, what the receivers do, what the tight end does, what he has to do himself, what the running back's gonna do, he has to know what the defense is doing, he has to know checks, so many things going on in his mind."

So, Vince Young?

"It just puts you right back in that situation of learning all over again," Armstrong said. "Shoot, I'm a Vince Young fan. I'm a Vince Young fan. But it just puts us in the situation of having to teach someone the whole offense again."

Or maybe Cam Newton?

"I wouldn't give him the number 10 pick," Armstrong said. He will be a first-round pick, but I woudln't pick him at 10. I'd back up and I'd pick him a little later if he was there, if he fell to me."

Or maybe mystery man?

"I don't want to basically start that whole new dish over again and just have a new quarterback," Armstrong said. "You put all your chips in there and you lost and now you have to buy back in. You don't really want to have to buy back in to the poker match."

(Via Football News Now.)

By Dan Steinberg  | January 12, 2011; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks lets his hair down
Next: A Caps blog for guys who like guys

Comments

I agree with Anthony. Next year the Skins will need both McNabb and Grossman. Even if they drafted a Luck, a rookie QB won't be ready for several years at least. #5 will need to make a good faith effort to conform with the Shanahan offensive scheme. It's not at all clear that he did so this past year.

Posted by: snake23 | January 12, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Interesting take from AAA and I tend to agree with his stance.

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | January 12, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Armstrong should keep his mouth shut. His opinion is of no importance other than stirring up more discontent. Last time I looked, 27 year old rookies don't have a lot of say in personnel matters, nor should they.

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | January 12, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100%. The Skins need to continue to improve on the OL and DL first, and then think about QBs. I wouldn't mind seeing McNabb and Grossman back next season at all.

Posted by: gophercrow | January 12, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Redskins players need to learn to shut their mouth and stay out of the news.... This just doesn't help the team in any way

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | January 12, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

makes sense and I think it's been said a million times!! JC never really had two years w/anything !! now we have a chance to improve an we seem to have a better driver. bring in a QB in draft w/a 3-yr plan. this poor team, we ALWAYS look good in the off-season....

Posted by: aginsburg | January 12, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Time to rebuild the TRENCHES! That is the only way the Redskins can return to glory! I call it the Joe Gibbs theory: You can win a superbowl with almost anyone as your QB as long as you have a good o-line to protect him!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 12, 2011 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | January 12, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh really???! His opinon is of NO importance? REALLY? are you a complete moron or just right this moment? Armstrong is one of the KEY components to this offense no matter who is at QB. So I think his opinon has great value and I happen to somewhat agree with him. I also think we NEED to get another young QB thru the draft or FA. So I say, virginialonghorn should keep his mouth shut. His opinon is of no importance other than stirring up more discontent.

Posted by: SkinEm1 | January 12, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Gotta think long-term, after so many years of trying to do what might be easier right now. If that means Rex next year while a rookie qb develops, so be it.

What do y'all think is the #1 characteristic needed in a QB in this offense? Accuracy? Could you teach that to a Cam Newton or a Colin Kapaernick (sp?) accuracy, or does that really need to be an attribute they have from the get-go?

Newton does have the advantage of his rookie NFL year being his second as a professional.

Posted by: minorthread | January 13, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong is one of the key components? LMAO. Only on the Redskins and a handful of equally bad offenses would Armstrong be a key to anything. He has above average speed that the can't exploint because he can't catch over his shoulder and thats about it.

He could not even make moste teams, much less be the #2 receiver on anyone but us. I think they should all keep their mouths shut, but he didn't say anything out of line.

He likes Mcnabb and that is fine, and understandable. Mcnabb is a great leader and I would expect his troops to stand behind him, but he is gone and Armstrong needs to get used to it. He should look more at the times he was open and the ball was over his head and in the dirt, and less at his athletic ability. As the line gets better, being better in the pocket and not so much how he can scramble will be more important.

Rex is not the guy either, but he probably has to be the guy starting next year no matter who we draft. If we can get Locker or Mallet we probably should, but let them learn the offense for at least half the year if not all year and take what we take from Rex for a season.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | January 13, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | January 13, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm sick of this team squandering resources looking for this magical QB that's going to save the team. We aren't a great QB away from being good. There is no quick fix. Until we fill the holes at NT, RDE, LOLB, RILB, FS, nickel CB, WR, RT, C, P, and RG we aren't going to be good. We need to just draft BPA except for tight ends in every round and if that prospect happens to be a QB then Ok but otherwise don't go out of the way to get a QB. If we can't get a decent draft pick for McNabb then keep him and let him compete for the starting job.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 13, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

So since Anthony Armstrong is a rookie he isn't allowed to voice who he wants throwing him the ball next season? Yea ok. Like many others have said, we're sick of cycling through QB's every few years especially when a lack of protection has been the downfall of many of them. Shoot, Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees would get PUMMELED behind that atrocious line. Keep McNabb and keep Rex as he has proven to be a stellar backup. If we can give the Shanahans and Haslett's 31st ranked defense another year to gel, why can't we do the same with our QB?

Posted by: Tiffany010 | January 13, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Ugh...just another instance of a player who believes he is media savvy running the risk of it blowing up in his face.

Personally, I think he's right. The best thing for 2011 (& beyond) would be for McNabb, his agent, & the Shanahan clan to sit down...smoke the piece pipe...and restructure a "deal" - in every sense of the word (not just contract) - to bring him back for one more trial. They gave up a lot to get him, t'would be nice to find a way to make it work. Gives everybody a chance to get the egg of their face from this past season. Absent an OL miracle, whomever QBs the 'Skins whenever next season had better be mobile & better be able to take a beating. The team - even a team in transition - is better off with McNabb & Grossman...provided neither is a distraction in the locker room.

Having said that &...again just my opinion, AA should not be mouthing off publically about what the team should do...unless what he's really angling for is his release. My guess is the Earl of Asburn is none too pleased with the comments. Per Cooley, he has ears...everywhere! AA may have looked good to 'Skins nation...but he wouldn't have MADE the roster on a 3rd of the teams in the league & he'd be buried in the depth chart on a 3rd more. The lad needs to take care of his own off-season business & leave the GM-ing to the GMs.

For you conspiracy bluffs, if a more established (and media savvy player) put AA up to this....that's brilliant!!

Posted by: CLBinTX | January 13, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

How many years have we endured learning a new offense. Having a new QB learn next season as a starter means we are rebuilding next season and I don't disagree with that concept either. I can see AAA's point particularly when you think in terms of McNabb having the big arm to get him the deep ball and Grossman really does not. I'm actually more interested in getting to where the running game is a more prominent part of the offense. We saw glimpses this year of a potentially dominant run game with just mediocre talent and that is what Shanny is famous for. Let's get some Guards and Tackles in here and I think that will in turn improve both aspects of the offense.

Posted by: chillwill1 | January 13, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chillwill1 | January 13, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chillwill1 | January 13, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I think the Skins org has $16 Million reasons NOT to bring McNabb back.

How about Armstrong shut his mouth and just focus on what he can do improve his route running and avoid dropped passes.

All the Skins players do is yak yak yak

Posted by: datruth21 | January 13, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I was a die heart Redskin fan! I could careless now. If I have nothing else to do I'd watch them play. The tenure of Dan has ruin my love for this once great franchise. Dan wants a winner he just didn't know how to go about getting one. I was one of those people that couldn't wait to see my skins play during the season.

Posted by: noneckmd | January 13, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Why would McNabb want to come back. And don't give me that contract stuff, Shanahan has already seen proof that if you treat a player badly, he will not perform. McNabb has been treated badly. He will never perform at his best for the Redskins. If you package him right with Haynesworth and some cash, you could move up a couple of spots on that fifth round draft pick and beat out Oakland for that running back from Yale.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 13, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Opinions are like FatAlberts, everyone has one and they all stink! Who cares what a #3 receiver says? Someone who doesn't have much to report after the Redskin's season is over.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | January 13, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

At some point somebody has to speak the truth and fans need to stop beingcowards too. Who's the best player and who gives you the best chance to win should be the only level of conversation. All this speak when spoken to stuff needs to stop. how long have were heard this team has super bowl talent for them to come in last place. I agree with AA's comments. yes he is not a 15 year vet and does not have teh credibility to make the statement. however, his naivete' is just what this team needs to put the truth out there.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 13, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn |

You are just mad because he plays the game so his opinion has more value than yours. Get over it.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 13, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will be too expensive next year. Go with Rex, groom John Beck, spend money in the trenches

Posted by: devilsadvocate2 | January 13, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

For those of you on here that write that AAA needs to shut up, are crazy. He expressed an opinion that most of us have. Keep the QB you got improve the o-line and move on. Bringing in a rookie QB to start is nuts. I don't want to wait another 3-5 years for some guy to mature and lead this team to a playoff spot. If you improve both the o-line and d-line this will be a playoff team, maybe not a championship team, but at least a playoff team.

Posted by: aviator3 | January 13, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aviator3 | January 13, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The Grossman to Armstrong combination is sure to get the Skins to 7-9 next year. Then Snyder will fire everyone and hire Cerrato again and then hire Rich Rodriguez.

Posted by: 4472jon | January 13, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Note to VirginiaLonghorn; Dude just wake the f_ck up A.A. has a right to his opinion and he makes perfect sense why go out and get a QB who knows nothing about this offense and comes in cold and out of the loop. The Redskins need help in the O-line and the D-line and by the way there's a cornerback out of Oakland that's a hell of a player, just sayin.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 13, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your input, Anthony, we'll be in touch.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 13, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

armstrong made ALL valid points not many players on that team would have said what he did but he is right. mcnabb may not want to be here but armstrong knows mcnabb throws the deep ball mainly to him, grossman has limited arm strength and moves not too quickly. I don't care if they draft a qb but like some here have rightly stated including armstrong bringing in another qb(starter) would set offense back again and at this time they are hardly up to par. fix o and d lines. fire shananhan's son and get a real o-coordinator.

Posted by: wathu19 | January 13, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse