Posted at 4:11 PM ET, 01/13/2011

Carlos Rogers is kind of hung up on interceptions

By Dan Steinberg

(By Ricky Carioti - TWP))

The Carlos Rogers interception refrain went from a nagging doubt to a raging concern to a ridiculous plague to an overplayed meme in which a dropped pass by any current or former Redskins, NFL player, youth receiver or office cubicle mate would lead to a Carlos Rogers joke.

Carlos Rogers, apparently, does not find these to be humorous.

"At this time, a lot of people focus on your negatives," Rogers said Thursday on the LaVar and Dukes show, when asked about his impending free agency. "As an agent and as a player you want to focus more on what you can do and what you can bring to a team. I mean, you can sit there and say, oh, interceptions. That's all I hear, my whole six years: interceptions. I didn't hear about check-down receivers, I didn't hear playing the nickel, I didn't hear being a physical corner, I didn't hear playing man a lot, I didn't hear playing zone a lot. So you don't hear all that. A lot of people focus on the negatives, and my thing right now is to focus on the positives."

Rogers said he wants to stay in Washington, but that "it's about money, it's about what you feel confident in, it's about getting as much as you can, as much as your value is." He repeatedly praised Mike Shanahan and the 3-4 defensive scheme. And yet, when he was asked by Arrington whether he's gotten a fair shot at becoming a star in D.C., Rogers seemed hesitant. Then he said a mouthful.

"I like everything that's going on here," Rogers said. "I think we're going in a positive direction. I like this team. We've still got to get players, still got a lot of stuff to turn around in this organization, but I think with [Shanahan] taking over, you can see that it's going in a different direction.

"As far as an opportunity with this team vs. another team, I don't think I have had a fair chance since I've been here to - I don't want to say display my talents - but I've always been that second corner. You know, I played with Shawn Springs, I played with Walt Harris, I played with Fred Smoot, now I'm playing with D-Hall. You know, I always played with a guy that they brung in or that was already here and they always put me behind....

"When you talk about people and they talk about me, I always hear one thing that they can say, and it's always that interceptions. I don't hear none of the positive stuff, I don't hear what I'm doing vs. what any corner can do. A lot of people can focus on that. Do I think I have had a fair chance? No. I still hear it. I still hear the interceptions, so that still stands."

"I never deny that," Rogers said. "I won't deny that. I do. I have to do that. But does that define every corner? That's what I'm looking at. Every corner you look at did not have five, six interceptions this year. I look at Antoine Winfield, one of the best corners, people look at him as one of the best corners. Check out his interceptions. I think he's been in the league about eight years, probably got about eight or nine interceptions. (Actually, it's 23 interceptions in 12 years -ed.) He got a lot of breakups, he tackles, he breaks up passes, he put a lot of receiver out of the game.

"I look at Dunta Robinson. He's been in the league a year longer than me; I've probably got more interceptions than him or we are tied, and Atlanta just paid him as one of their top corners. (Actually, Robinson has 14 in seven years, while Rogers has eight in six - ed.) Like I said, a lot of different organizations look at what they want to look at, and at a time like this when you negotiate, they'll probably point out the negatives to make it look like 'Oh, he ain't doing this,' but deep down inside they know that this is a good player and this is a good corner. Like I said, time will tell how this goes. And I don't know. I don't know. I don't know."

By Dan Steinberg  | January 13, 2011; 4:11 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another high school football team with the Nats logo
Next: Al Iafrate's Skullet was magnificent

Comments

Oh silly Carlos - you compare yourself to Dunta Robinson/Winfield when you shouldn't - THAT'S YOUR MISTAKE. You're a decent corner with miserable hands. The good corners who get paid have average hands (not even GREAT hands). Winfield has little interceptions cause QB's don't bother throwing his way.

So yeah we have a right to complain if you're comparing yourself to better cb's.

With this said, I think they should keep Carlos, cause he does do everything else (tackle, break up passes...) but he's not an upper echelon corner.

And fyi - we've been miserable for 2 years, we have a right to complain about every player - WE'RE NOT A HAPPY FAN BASE RIGHT NOW

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 13, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Arrington then said that Rogers actually did need to work on the interceptions thing."

I don't see where the Arrington hate comes from. That's classic.

Sign Los Manos de Piedra, Bruce!

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 13, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have a no-hands corner who can cover than a no-cover corner with hands.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 13, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

What?!?!?!

Carlos didn't want to talk about how he came to be known as "Double-Move"?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 13, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

If you add up all Los' best stuff with Halls, then I would call Rogers the better corners. Hall may have won 2 games with picks, but he also lost 3-4 games giving up TD's.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

And Carlos could've pretty much cemented a playoff win in Seattle if he didn't have stonehands.

So, there you go.....

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 13, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The low number of interceptions wouldn't be as big of a deal without the high number of DROPPED interceptions. When 8 balls hit your hands, and you only catch one of them, that's a big deal in the NFL, and it will define you.

Face facts Carlos; you can't catch so you are not worth as much money as corners who can.

Posted by: WallyG3 | January 13, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse

WallyG3 is missing the entire point.

Carlos Rogers doesn't get his hands on so many possible interceptions because he just happens to be the luckiest cornerback on earth.

It's because he puts himself in better positions to make plays when compared to 98% of the rest of the league. I believe there was a stat that Rogers is 4th in the NFL among all players in pass breakups since he entered the NFL. That's an incredible stat for a corner.

And yes, I'd take Rogers over Dunta Robinson, and given his age, Antoine Winfield as well. Not for that much money, but as a standalone corner, I definitely would.

Keep yourself healthy Carlos. That's your biggest issue right now. Gotta be able to stay on the field to get paid.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if a 10-0 lead in seattle would have cemented the lead, but it would've been nice.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"But does that define every corner?"

Yes, Carlos. Yes.

Kick him to the curb. Carlos is the epitome of "mediocrity."

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 14, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

If Carlos Rogers put as much effort into actually catching the balls that hit him square in the hands as he does telling us how meaningless interceptions are, maybe he would start getting paid what he thinks he's worth.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 14, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Wish someone would have asked him why he gives a ten yard cushion on a 3rd and 5 play?

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 14, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Carlos. You have missed so many easy interception that could have been game changers. One was in a playoff game in Seattle. Let's not forget that. Good corners need to make the plays that are there to be made. You do not make those plays.

Posted by: astrober1 | January 14, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: astrober1 | January 14, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Excellent job transcribing this interview Steinberg. Word for word -- well done. Maybe next time just have a link to the audio so you don't have to type so mucn. Ha ha.

Posted by: dbunkr | January 14, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

said it all along, the dude is a decent NFL CB. he is not Deon sanders, champ bailey or Reveis, but he is a complete NFL CB for today's game.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 14, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Carlos is a very very very good corner and does all the things he said as far as being physical, breaking up passes, if he made the INTs he would be an elite level corner worth elite level money.

Posted by: wstclair | January 14, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | January 14, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Actually Carlos you are our best corner and im behind you on that one most of these cats never played the position so they wouldnt understand. Me myself i would be catching those interceptions but if hes dropping them atleast hes in position atleast hes not giving up big plays like Dhall does so i got your back pay this man what he deserves but stay here in dc man we need you, your our lockdown corner our only true lockdown. Maybe you dont deserve you know top 5 corner money but you should make more then DHALL ask him to renegotiate so you can get some of his money because 4 picks in one game and 6 on the season aint saying to much either.

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhudson27 | January 14, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

lock down corner? you mean, like he locked down brandon marshall last year?

you think he isn't catching pics because people throw the other way? he says himself that he's always been the second cb, so people throw away from the OTHER cb.

it's not about interceptions, it's about drops. the fact that CR 22 thinks of himself as an elite corner (even though his own comparisons actually show how mediocre he is) is why he needs to go. it doesn't sound like he's got to prove it to himself, so he's not getting any better. he just wants everyone to stop expecting him to catch the ball.

Posted by: stromi | January 14, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

No offense Carlos because you do cover very well, but you dropped 4 interceptions alone in the Colts game....2 of which were thrown to you like Peyton was playing catch with you. Last time I checked the Skins lost that game by less than 7. I would say they could hang that L on your back alone. You're up for unrestricted free agency and you say that you need to work on that???? Wtf have you been doing the last 6 years?

Posted by: jdumb | January 14, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Carlos "Hands of Stone" Rodgers please shut up and stop your crying. Now that was funny to me.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | January 14, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Folks, focus on how well Carlos covers his man. It would be nice if he picked off more, but that is icing on the cake. He is rarely beaten badly. Ask the WR's from other teams think. Most guys don't blow as many INT's because they are not in position to do so.

Posted by: chopin224 | January 14, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Carlos drops a lot of interceptions because QB's aren't afraid to throw his way. Worst thing that will happen is an incomplete pass. Certainly seemed like Manning thought that in the Colts game. No worries trying to thread the needle to the man Rogers was covering. Until he catches at least some of the balls that hit him in the hands his value is diminished no matter how well he can cover.

Posted by: HokieJoe76 | January 14, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Damn Carlos...Those were some real dumb comparisons considering those guys DO get interceptions. But all you had to say was look at NHAMDI ASOMUGHA or DARRELLE REVIS! They are the best corners in the league and they had a combined ZERO interceptions this year. Granted, it's because no one ever throws at them way, but still, if you're gonna make are arguement, get some good facts to back it up.

Posted by: 47mccoy | January 14, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Carlos,

Teams are not afraid of you because you drop too many INT's. If you had more INT's , I am sure you would be the number 1 corner.Yes, you do a lot of things well ,but the INT's is what seperates you from the rest.You really can't compare yourself to anyone , because no one has had as many drops. They keep stats on Wr's on drops , but not corners. You have changed that precedent. Still love ya tho".

Posted by: tic24 | January 14, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Headline reads "Carlos Rogers is not amused". How about him thinking that "Carlos realizes the fans are not amused". We live and die with this team. A playoff win is so very sweet (and rare for this team) for fans. What happens if he makes that interception against Seattle a few years ago? Come on man, have a better grip on reality. You have been in the league long enough. At this point your reputation is 100% accurate. Like Dennis Green said "they were who we thought they were".

Posted by: fu11232 | January 14, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

So you put yourself down as the corner that the team can't promote to the #1 cover guy and then move onto the fact that you have bricks for hands and you wonder why people put you down?

Posted by: KDSmallJr | January 14, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

SHUT-UP CARLOS, YOU ARE A BUM OF A FOOTBALL PLAYER AND YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME HERE. LEAVE NOW.

Posted by: DCFanatic | January 14, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The reason there are very few humans that reach the professional level in sports is that you must excel in ALL aspects. A cornerback should be able to catch a football! Really, man!

Posted by: Trout1 | January 14, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If he can cover then he is worth keeping. The best corner in the league does not have many int's. But the real stat is how many passes did his man catch and for how many yards. That is the true measurement of a corner more than the int stats. Remember Champ Bailey? He had ints but whenever he got beat skins fans were calling for him to be traded.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 14, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that the link to the article in the web browser is "carlos_rogers_is_kind_of_hung". That should at least make him feel better.

Posted by: ceepeakay | January 14, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Trout1

Most CB's are former WR's with bad hands but great speed and reflexes otherwise.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 14, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I rarely see Carlos gaffe a tackle or bite on a fake. D Hall is like a gyroscope - always spinning around and not sure where he's going.

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | January 14, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Carlos, if you're the 2nd best corner every year, wouldn't that actually allow you to display your talents more, since teams would throw to your side more? Fact is, you wouldn't be the best corner on any of the 32 NFL teams. Personally, I think you're a horrible corner. I don't want you back next year at any cost. BYE!

Posted by: anw821 | January 14, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the new collective bargaining agreement will allow CB's to use butterfly nets?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | January 14, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anw821 | January 14, 2011 3:52 PM

Nothing factual about this post.

1. Teams throw at DHall, not Los
2. He's the best CB on our roster
3. He's a top 20 CB in this league
4. Personally I think this is a horrible post and lastly...BYE!

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Surely Carlos did not graduate from college. It would be embarrassing to his school..to give a degree to such a dimwitted guy. He further embarrassed himself by comparing himself statistically to 2 other corners...and got the numbers wrong.
Daryl Green was a great corner...measure Carlos against him.
Teams that go to the playoffs almost always have a good + to - turnover ratio. What should be looked at is not only dropping a sure pick...but what the other team did offensively, right being given a second chance. Washington`s pass defense has been weak to non-existent
in many games. All the D backs share some responsibility. Playing zone indicates the coaches may not feel a d back can play man to man. How often for example did Champ Bailey play zone?
Landry should be a linebacker...he can`t cover anyone. Collectively the rest of the safeties rate a d minus. I agree with a previous post..Hall gives up more TDs than he gets picks. He needs to know when to jump on a ball, and when to just tackle the guy. Outside of the Bears game..he only had two picks for the other 14 games. That gets him to the pro bowl? Shows how bad this team was if he was the one pick.
Pay Carlos...with some incentives built into the contract...such as interceptions.
CARLOS IS MORE ABOUT HIM AND HIS NUMBERS THAN ABOUT HOW HIS PERFORMANCE AFFECTS THE TEAM.
PROBABLY THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT STATISTIC INFLUNCING WINS VS. LOSSES..IS TURNOVERS. I BELIEVE WASHINGTON HAS THE NFL RECORD OF PLUS 43 DURING ONE OF THEIR SUPER BOWL YEARS.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | January 15, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

It is all about the money. He thinks that he should get top dollar and he will never be worth top dollar! Bye,bye Carlos.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 15, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Rogers said he wants to stay in Washington, but that "it's about money, it's about what you feel confident in, it's about getting as much as you can, as much as your value is." This quote is a perfect illustration of the "old" culture on this team that needs to be changed. This guy has done nothing to warrant a big money contract.

Posted by: scg1055 | January 16, 2011 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I key on players a lot and don't necessarily watch the ball all the time. Carlos is better than Meangelo, but not much. That guy that said he's off 10 yds and it's 3rd and 5 was right. He allows a lot of first downs, but not too many scores. They go to Hall's side to score. Los covers a little better, but he's nothing special. And his hands.....well, the way he's talking about " not having a chance to display my talents..." maybe he should try making some picks with his fat mouth.....he'd never drop another one. I like to see him gone. He's nothing more than mediocre.....

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 17, 2011 1:00 AM | Report abuse

This is why where so average in the first place, clinging to past there prime veterans that may have a year ro two left before they decline, instead of getting rid of them for something younger, cheaper and faster.

Carlos Rodgers is overrated. DeAngelo Hall is the best corner on our team. Do you know why? He's a playmaker. He single handily WON US TWO GAMES...those are facts (vs. DALLAS, CHICAGO BEARS GAME) not assumptions.

Honestly I want to know what Carlos can do that Kevin Barnes can't at this point in their careers? I know what Kevin Barnes can do that Carlos can't and thats make plays to win us a game.

Carlos is turning 30 and his best years are behind him, well if you call those years good ones. Time to part ways and get younger at this position. Carlos isn't worth the money and has proven himself to be replaceable.

Posted by: culprit59 | January 17, 2011 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers in my opinion has been faking and shaking; talking a good game, but he can't catch an easy interception when it hits him in the hands or the numbers on his chest! I looked at the first game with Dallas and it wasn't close on the INT! The ball hit you in the wrist! You looked like Edward Scissor Hands out there. Not to mention all the loafing you do when a runner is coming by and you see team mates closing in; you just go into the watching mode on alot of plays. Carlos gets burned on 3rd and deep; the whole secondary seems to believe they need to get 5 to 10 yards off the receiver and gives up easy 6 to 10 yard pitch and catches! We need a younger group of top flight DBs that know how to bump and blanket a receiver like in the games we saw(Jets/Patriots)(Atlanta/Green Bay)yesterday! I'm over 50 and can stand off a receiver of any level, 10 yards and cover him the way you and D'Angelo cover in the red zone. Time to bring in some REAL cover corners and cut off the money to faker and shakers!

By the way, Washington(diehard redskin fan) are kicking themselves about now for letting crybaby Campbell talk Zorn, Danny into not drafting Mark Sanchez. Remember he said he didn't want to play for them if they take Sanchez or another Quarterback in the draft. Zorn got what he deserved letting a player dictate what the organization and the TEAM would have to do to please poor Jason!

The reason Jason is doing OK in Oakland is he has McFadden and a ton of receivers, a line but Jason still makes his bread and butter on those one yard dump passes and two yard slants and thanks to the RBs and receivers they are padding his stats with tons of yards after the catch.
Jason still chokes as he did in Washington in the red zone and if Bruce had not got hurt Jason would be still sitting on the bench in Oakland.

He is two for two with coaches being fired;Zorn/Cable(Danny would have never fired Gibbs/he's a legend in DC) and if I was the new coach, I would be nervous putting my career on the line for anything Jason wanted!LOL!!

In all seriousness, I use to be a Jason Campbell fan when he arrived until about year 4 and saw that it was the same ole same ole....I do think he is probably a nice guy and wish him well!

Posted by: wcdun1 | January 17, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

If you take the Chicago game away, Rogers had a better season than Hall just straight up playing defense.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 17, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I will agree that Carlos is a better corner than Hall but that ain't saying much. One can't cover and the other can't catch. The number of interceptions dropped by Carlos may have turned the tide for the Skins (maybe not) but you can't drop passes that hit you square in the body. Also, Carlos has given up his fair share of big plays and been in the wrong position or bitten on the double move all too often. I watched Revis playing corner and that guy is the "truth". How many corners get caught peeking in the backfield (Carlos) instead of playing their man straight up, then get burned? It's called discipline and trusting your team mates to do their jobs. Our corners/safeties have no discipline (Carlos), are caught out of position way too often, miss tackles, give receivers too much space, don't give maximum effort, etc., etc. We continually make bad or average QBs look great because of our secondary play. Carlos can't run from that.

Posted by: jfoster13 | January 17, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Love Carlos Rogers. Hopefully the team does whatever it can to keep him. Easily one of the best cover corners in the league over the past several seasons. He's our top corner, despite D'Angelo Hall's pro bowl and INTs. The fans that focus only on the INTs don't know football. Carlos is a shut down corner and a big reason why we've been such a good defense over the years (until this season)."

Yours truly,
CR

Posted by: packridge1 | January 17, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope 'Skins can keep Rogers , assuming it's for a contract "as much as your value is" ,as Carlos put it ,not at some inflated "value" as he probably imagines he is (and thankfully Bruce & Shanny dont seem inclined to throw crazy AH-style contracts around - even McNabb's contract doesnt really leave 'Skins on the hook for much) ... The guy is a very decent corner (despite the hands-of-stone) and 'Skins have enough OTHER holes to fill ...

Posted by: RoidRage | January 17, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Well Barno, I wouldn't go quite that far but I do think he is a very solid, pretty well above average, corner. We have enough needs already; losing him would add to the list. We can't very well afford that.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 17, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

That missed interception in the Seattle playoff game, I can never forget that one.
A also remember the Giants game at home,
the year they came back on us in the 2nd
half, eventually winning the super bowl,
Burrus caught I think 7 or 8 balls on Rodgers, one TD pass at the sidelines looked like Rodgers didn't even try to to
make a tackle, bottom line, if he was gone
do you think it would make a difference?

Posted by: dodahula | January 17, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Carlos should pretend that footballs are paychecks, I bet he wouldn't drop them!

Posted by: rpm2nite | January 17, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rpm2nite | January 17, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Tell me that if you REALLY put in time practicing catching footballs from that
NFL ball machine while sitting, standing, kneeling, laying on the ground, and standing on a chair in all various angles that Carlos couldn't CREATE great hands? SEE OLD RAMS WR'S. So, should we believe he does not put in the time? YES. What's sick is how much he will be paid even with bad hands. What's sicker is he doesn't put in the time as a PRO ball player. He is happy with the money he is making. DRAFT WISELY.

Posted by: artsnsportz | January 18, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

If Mr. Rogers caught the ball he would be an NFL star.
The late Mr. Rogers of TV fame probably had better hands.
Note to coach: put Rogers in receiver drills. make him catch 25 in a row before he hits the showers.

Posted by: ebf3 | January 18, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Tell me that if you REALLY put in time practicing catching footballs from that

Posted by: artsnsportz | January 18, 2011 7:54 AM
===============================

So you are saying that T.O. doesn't practice catching balls enough? He was 3rd highest in dropped passes this year with Wes Welker (13) and Reggie Wayne (12) leading the league. I'll give Welker and Wayne a pass since they have more passes thrown their way than T.O. BTW, Miles Austin (10) and Brandon Marshall (11) round out the top 5 pass droppers this year.

You are saying that Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah just didn't practice catching balls enough? If he had just spent some time after practice with Montana he could have been great.

I guess you are also saying that if baseball players just practiced a little harder they could all hit .500

It's a matter of hand size, hand strength, and hand placement relative to where the ball is coming from, but more importantly hand-eye coordination.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | January 19, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Carlos is a decent player.
Carlos will probably want to be paid more than what decent players earn.
Carlos will likely be an ex-Redskin next year.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 19, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Carlos is a decent player.
Carlos will probably want to be paid more than what decent players earn.
Carlos will likely be an ex-Redskin next year.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 19, 2011 3:15 PM
======================

I sure hope not. I sure am tired of watching ex-Redskins like Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark playing in the Superbowl while our Redskins watch from the couch.

Did anyone see Justin Tryon catch that interception and force a fumble for the Colts in the playoffs. He was a decent player too.

Phillip Buchanon watched that play from his couch.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | January 19, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

carlos is a good corner.great corner by nfc d-backs standards as well as a great individual.what he need to work on is catching the ball when the chances are there. if our defense had the players to play coaches defense.than we would have to depend on carlos intercepting passes very little.but we have no hall of fame defensive players.albert presence was a luxury turned into a distraction to cover for a defensive scheme that takes great linebacker play.like coach had in new orleans.we should have played a 4 3 and not a jail break defense.lets keep carlos and focus on linebacker and a pass rusher.go skins.restimp46...

Posted by: restimp46 | January 19, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Carlos,

Not only do you not catch the ball, but the balls you drop are right to you. We aren't talking about diving for balls, one-handed, or finger tip catches. We are talking about balls that have come right to you. You're coverage skills seem to be good and tackling is usually there when you want to but you are a professional cornerback. Professionals work on all aspects of their game. If you are not in a football catching camp right now then you are no professional. Your just another person who has some abilities that you were born with and getting by on that. You catch the ball and the drive is over. You come across as another selfish player who thinks you deserve something because your you. Study a real football player like a Darrell Green instead of trying to find other players who have the same hands as you. You have had numerous plays where you have cost the Redskins a game. You are part of the problem here so fix your part or move on. Oh, learn to play slightly hurt, too. We will never forget you though. Never have seen a player with hands like that who plays a position where you are expected to catch the ball. Take your deserved average salary and try to improve yourself instead of crying about it.

Posted by: jay25 | January 20, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It's not the lack of INTs but the number of dropped INTs that stand out. In order to be in that position, you have to be covering well (and be thrown at). I remember some of the INT leaders for the Skins at CB and they were all TOAST. Rodgers can play. He is physical and can cover. Pay him and give yourself one less thing to worry about.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | January 20, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse