Posted at 1:56 PM ET, 01/31/2011

Deion Sanders doesn't care what D.C. fans think of him

By Dan Steinberg

This all went down when I was in Vegas last week, but for posterity sake, if you're wondering how much Deion Sanders cares about you, here's the answer: he doesn't.

The former Redskins great (joking!) was on the LaVar and Dukes radio show last week, with Chad Dukes sort of suggesting that Sanders does not come off very professionally on the Twitter machine.

"I don't care about how I come off to you, because the way you view me is not the way I view me," Sanders said. "You care about how you come off to people. I don't."

At which point Dukes asked Sanders whether he cares how he comes across to the D.C. fan base. At which point Sanders exhumed his brilliant career with the Redskins, and his unquenchable love affair with the Washington fans, and made this generally just a feel-good moment that will go up there with the last game at RFK Stadium and the Super Bowl parades.

"I wouldn't care how the Washington fan base views me," Sanders said. "See, I don't lose an ounce of sleep at night thinking that someone viewed me wrong. I don't care. Only thing I care about is my family, my kids, first and foremost my relationship with God, and what I'm doing for people for the future, man. I'm opening schools, I'm trying to change lives. I don't care about whether you think I was worth a dollar for the Redskins. I don't care. That's over. You've got to admit it, quit it and forget it, baby."

But, but, but, what about all those many great months we had together, Deion? You'rea really gonna admit it, quit it and forget it, baby, just like that?

By Dan Steinberg  | January 31, 2011; 1:56 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sam Cassell and John Wall have a trick shot battle
Next: Rich Chvotkin calls Georgetown's win at Villanova

Comments

Hilarious final paragraph, Dan.

Too bad Deion's a schmuck.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | January 31, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

What a complete a$$. He has all the lines that he repeats over and over again which includes his Dallas radio interviews.

Ask him the same questions a year from now and he will gave you the same bull. It never changes and he will always throw in his love of God.

Deion cares about Deion and enjoys pissing off people. I have seen the man in action to know he is one horrible human being.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 31, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

His nickname should be the matador for as many times he has sidestepped a running back head towards him!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 31, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Deion Was 2 Legit 2 Quit!

Posted by: Milhouse44 | January 31, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Why should he care? The fans screamed bloody murder when he was signed and hated him from the minute he arrived. He raped Danny Boy and got out of town with a BUTTLOAD of money. He was never a Redskin then so why should he care what their fans think?

Posted by: VaBroker | January 31, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

As an Eagles fan I can say this - For once I side with the Washington fans

- Dijon should just going away.

Posted by: Dog-1 | January 31, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What an egotistical "LIAR" he is!
In this order, this is who he cares about the most:
1) Neon Deion
2) Prime Time
3) Deion Sanders

These are the facts that he has proven since being in the league.

Posted by: Trophyjeff | January 31, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

D-bag

Posted by: alex35332 | January 31, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Once again, a big "Thank you" to Dan Snyder for perhaps his worst (and that's saying something!!) free agent signing. Remember, folks, the 'lil genius owner shipped off Brian Mitchell to bring in Neon Deion and his pimp wardrobe....B Mitch went on to run back multiple TD's and solidify the Eagles special teams. Deion? Well, you know how that turned out. This signing spoke VOLUMES about the direction of this sorry franchise.

Posted by: dbunkr | January 31, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the punt hit him in the facemask?

Why is it these self absorbed A-holes always bring up God.

Posted by: Fx10 | January 31, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Amen Fx10. That is his hypocritical way out. Deion has and always will be a punk.

Posted by: jerod1 | January 31, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, God wasn't too fond of arrogance.

Posted by: shanks1 | January 31, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Deion is the man! Only God can judge him. Even while he is busy ripping people off in the name of charity God still has his back. Big up's to LaVar also. He's family with everyone that's ever called into the show.
ohh Prime this guy is a national treasure.
Chad Dukes actually earned a bit of credibility by standing his ground and not letting Deion off the hook. I only wish he brought up "Must Be the Money" and ask him what God thought about that.

Posted by: wynnebs | January 31, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked the NFL Network has this guy as a commentator.

Posted by: bbirdy202 | January 31, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

we wanted to like you deion. but you hardly gave us reasons. it wasn't all your fault, i realize. the ravens proved you could be effective if put in the right situation and paid what you were worth.

you're almost as annoying as theismann in any format. the only thing that saves you is that you're entertaining. theismann is terrible.

Posted by: moo21 | January 31, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

This is why the Skins should draft Noel Devine. He stole Deions car, yes indeed he did. He would be a local fav before ever taking a handoff.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 31, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moo21 | January 31, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Deion did not say anything bad about the D.C. fans. He just said he cannot dwell on it. Deion was a good football player when he was here. I do not care what anyone says about that either. I saw the stats and the games. For all the money thrown around in D.C. that money was not wasted compared to 90% of the other contracts.

He is good at his current job as well in my opinion. The only reason I will dislike him is because he wore the lame star. That's about it.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 31, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 31, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Good for you Deion! That is the way you - or anyone for that matter - should be. I was never a fan of you but I must admit you are one hundred percent right.

Posted by: hock1 | January 31, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget: Many Dallas fans dislike Deion, too.
I imagine you can throw in some San Francisco and Atlanta fans, as well.
A d-bag is a d-bag, regardless of team colors.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | January 31, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked the NFL Network has this guy as a commentator.

Posted by: bbirdy202 | January 31, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Deione and that other cowboy idiot, ya know, the one that's always in jail or something, the guy that wore nbr 88 (heh-heh)...don't even wanna call his name. Well, anyway, those two guys are the reason I do not watch the NFL channel after games. I admit it, I quit it and I forget it (the NFL channel) when those two clowns are on. HAIL!!!!!

Posted by: norsad | January 31, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Mike 4169... Neon was good while he was here as a Redskin.... ppppppllleeease.. they never threw champs way and they constantly threw at mr Sanders all day long... moved the ball down the field until the redzone then took advantage of the middle or ran it in. D. Sanders did absolutely nothing but back up the truck and loaded his money. The reason why the Ravens used him right was by that time... he knew he was no longer that lock down corner and he jsut wanted to play. Being the Nickel/Dime Corner means your covering a zone, TE or slot WR (AKA - Slower players). he is the only reason why I refused to buy the number 21 jersey (For Taylor) because he absolutley used the redskins... his faith in god... another pppllleease... Mr Sanders only cares about one thing "Money"... because if he did not get it ,then he would not have his family (Example .. see his wife on that god awful football wives show.. she is Deon with a skirt!) and he would be begging to god for help! I have not heard a peep about his schools he's opening or the future he is changing... he has done nothing to make this world a better place outside of sports, next subject!

Posted by: rvanags | January 31, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

After all if it was GOD that whispered to Dioen to sign the contract with Redskins. People? What is that and who cares about people I mean fans?

Posted by: DesiHungama | January 31, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DesiHungama | January 31, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DesiHungama | January 31, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Deion who?

Posted by: EKruse | January 31, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Lol @Stu27

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | January 31, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DesiHungama | January 31, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I think of Peion, I think of Martin Sheen using a baby as a lead-slug shield in the Dead Zone. Of course he says he doesn’t care, what else can you say when people think you are a duplicitous sub-human?

Posted by: burbworks | January 31, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"I don't care about whether you think I was worth a dollar for the Redskins."

Deion,

God said you should give back the money that you stole from the Redskins by pretending that you could still play.

Loser.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 31, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Did Softness say something?

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 31, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, D.C. fans don't care what Neon-Deion-Prime-Time-Tackling-Dummy thinks, either, so it's all good.

Posted by: ericenderle | January 31, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Deion deserves props for the burgundy pin stripe suit he wore when he first signed with the Skins. Other than that, he'll go down as one of the biggest female sanitary devices in the history of sports.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 31, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | January 31, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Swine-Time.

Posted by: Defund_NPR | January 31, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

rvanags he gave up one TD all season. He also ran back that punt to help them beat the Bucs I think it was. I am not saying he was a world beater for us but what I am saying is out of all the contracts the Skins have given out that one worked out better then most. He had an above average season. As you said he was even thrown to much more because of the CB1.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 31, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm .... SlimeTime Sanders — the most disgusting signing in team history — doesn't care about anyone other than himself?

Shocking.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | January 31, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I still remember with a smile the playoff game (the 'seat cushion') game when Deion was showboating as an Atlanta Falcon, and the Redskins finished off the Falcons. I seem to remember M.C. Hammer on the Atlanta sideline (Deion's buddy). Unlike MC Hammer and his 'can't touch this', Deion was quite easily shut down that game. All those seat cushions raining down to the field was quite memorable.

Posted by: bfjam | January 31, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse