Posted at 12:22 PM ET, 01/23/2011

Gloria Friedgen on Maryland football

By Dan Steinberg

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

When Randy Edsall was hired as Maryland's new football coach, he took pains to lay out his longstanding ties to the school. Here's an excerpt from The Post's next-day story:

Edsall called the opportunity to become Maryland's football coach a "dream job." Donning a red Maryland baseball cap, he recounted his many ties to Terrapin athletics despite his Pennsylvania roots and Syracuse education. Among them: The fact that he grew up 70 miles away (Glen Rock, Pa.); the fact that the first college football game he attended was at Byrd Stadium (Maryland versus Villanova in the 1970s); and the fact that his brother was a longtime ACC basketball official who more than once called a technical on Maryland's Gary Williams.

Now, pretty obviously, "the fact that he graduated from the University of Maryland" is not on that list. I'm not the only one who noticed that omission. Ralph Friedgen's wife did, too.

"It was a pretty emotional exit, let's just say," Gloria Friedgen said this weekend on 106.7 The Fan's Parker and Parker program. "You know, not only did Ralph graduate from Maryland with two degrees and coach there three times, if you will -- as a graduate assistant, then with Bobby [Ross] and then now. I mean, I got my degree there, my two daughters got their [degrees] there. I kind of chuckle when I see that if you're just a fan, it makes you a real catch to Maryland. I guess people who drive by also could be the head coach."

Ouch.

By Dan Steinberg  | January 23, 2011; 12:22 PM ET
Categories:  Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mustafa Shakur's oversized jersey
Next: Wizards fans attempt trampoline dunks

Comments

I'm with Gloria Friedgen, Edsall's MD ties weren't very strong. As some have pointed out, it's a little hard to believe he grew up a MD fan living in Penn State country.

But, as our affirmative action AD Kevin Anderson pointed out: "In 2007...I believe...Randy Edsall had the highest graduation rate...amongst African Americans...from state schools...that played in a bowl game...That's a tremendous feat ladies and gentlemen" -Kevin Anderson

National championship here we come!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 23, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Very Good, Mrs. Ralph. Good Luck to you, Coach, and your family !!!!! Let's see if Edsall's wife will lead the cheers like you did...

Posted by: frostanna | January 23, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Well Barno, look at what was the first game he came to at Byrd. Is wasn't North Carolina, UVA, or Clemson that the Terps were facing that day.

No, it was Villanova, a Philly school playing in College Park that got his attention.

Edsall and a Anderson are spinning like tops because they know that they have to defend the indefensible here.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 23, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsNut | January 23, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Go on Glo! What a joke that we fired Fridge for this guy. The UMd AD should be fired immediately.

Posted by: aviscardo | January 23, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Meow! I think that Gloria Friedgen needs to move on with her life instead of acting like a petty woman. Does Ralph really need his wife defending him? If so, maybe UMD did the right thing in firing him...I want a head coach with a pair, not one whose wife fights his battles.

Posted by: AlligatorArms | January 23, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Neither Anderson nor Edsall said he was hired because he grew up a fan.

Ralph was fired because in the last 7 years he didn't deliver what he claimed he was going to do when HE got hired in '01 --compete for national championships. The clock ran out for Ralph unfortunately, but it is not a JOB FOR LIFE just because he is (or was) a loyal Terp.

Posted by: nivreg | January 24, 2011 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Still bitter I see. I don't care where Randy went to school. He is here to do a job. I will judge him on the results. Ralph couldn't get it done and was held accountable. If Edsall can't get it done then he will be gone too.

Posted by: sjp879 | January 24, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

It is amusing to see this coward Barno1 always have to plug his comments with 'affirmative action hire'. Did a more qualified minority out compete you for a job? If you are an alumnus of UMD, you may need to go back to school to take a few ethnic senstivity courses because race is not the end all be all to white discomfort.

-A TERP without excuses 95'

Posted by: mlh5173 | January 24, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I love it when wives go public and support their men. You go, Glo! Irene Pollin regularly jumps on Wizards blogs and talks junk w/ any poster who attacks her late husband's beloved team. She backs the players who are subject to criticism as if they were her own. I think it's awesome. She doesn't even come in under a hidden screen name. It's IrenePollin.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 24, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"...ethnic sensitivity courses...". Now that's what we need more of to improve our education process.

Posted by: capsfan77 | January 24, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Gloria! Completely agree! I have received 2 Emails asking me to buy Football tickets and save now- what a joke. I will be spending no more money on MD football or basketball until UMD stops using their sports as a feel good social experiment.

BTW-who cares what color Kevin Anderson is? Whether he is black, white, green, blue, whatever- he is an idiot who is in over his head at a major institution.

Posted by: rveatch | January 24, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This is no shocker. Maryland has a long tradition of casually discarding their most loyal alumni. My dad went to Maryland and came back to teach. He dedicated his life to that school for many years and won a ton of accolades. But he and all of his colleagues of that generation were shut out of tenure because the school had decided that it didn't want inbreeding in its faculty and adopted an unwritten policy against granting tenure to alumni. This of course goes many years back, but the basic attitude of school administrators doesn't seem to have changed much. Of course, this is probably true at schools across the country where hot shot administrators are brought into a school having no ties to that school, sense of loyalty or respect for tradition. Inevitably, they will speak out of both sides of their mouth --claiming at times, when convenent, that decisions are just business and equating the school with being just a business (so when they fire an employee it should be seen just like the private sector), while at other times asserting that schools are deserving of special treatment and consideration because of their laudable educational mission (tax status, copyright and other regulatory exemptions, government grants, etc.)

Posted by: jswift1 | January 24, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Barno is hispanic, ftr

Posted by: jpfterps | January 24, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad that Dan had to spend some time on Sunday listening to the most gawdawful radio show on a station with some other seriously bad ones. The female Parker is just annoying and trite, the male is not much better, and he's got a terrible voice.

Posted by: mike8 | January 24, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

-A TERP without excuses 95'

Posted by: mlh5173 | January 24, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Affirmative action hurts the very people it is intended to help, that is the biggest reason to oppose race-based hiring--NOT because of "white discomfort." Kevin Anderson had no business getting hired at UMD, he was totally unqualified and the only reason he got the job was because "affirmative hiring is part of the fabric here at Maryland" as Debbie Yow once put it. He will be fired from UMD within a few years and in all likelihood never get another AD job again...please tell me how be hired because of his skin color "helps" him or society.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

*That should say:

please tell me how BEING hired because of his skin color "helps" him or society.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Barno,

We agree on this topic.

Posted by: rdondero123 | January 24, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

They didn't have to hire Anderson, they could've hired anyone black or white...Affirmative action did not force UMD to hire Anderson because he was black...Obviously they felt comfortable with the hire or they wouldn't have hired him

Posted by: babycas2000 | January 24, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

babycas2000, they chose to hire him because hiring the first black athletic director at UMD was very important to them. The other finalist for the job was Warde Manuel, who is also black. You need a college degree to become an AD at a D1 university. With black males making up less than 3% of those with college degrees in this country, the chances that the two finalists for MD's AD position both being black occurring by accident is about as likely as MD winning the next 5 national championships.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that skin color was very important to the College Park administrators who hired Anderson, and had he been white--he would have had no chance at getting the job.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

If you're "just a fan, it makes you a real catch to Maryland"? What a disappointment to hear Gloria say that with such sarcasm - but seem to really believe it. There are a lot of "just fans" (not alumni) who have sat in the stands for many years, cheered for Ralph and the Terps even in their worst of times, and donated generously to the football program and MGN (both personally and financially). Gloria and Ralph should be thanking those "just fans" rather thank insinuating that being one makes you somehow less important than being an alumni. And since when does being an alumni entitle anyone to a job as head coach? I'm looking forward to having Edsall as head coach because he WANTS to be here, not because he thinks he is ENTITLED to be here.

Posted by: terpwife1 | January 24, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

CapNut, please explain what Villanova being from Philly has to do with anything. Are you saying that Glen Rock is a suburb or Philly? Perhaps you should read the profile of Edsall in Sunday's Baltimore Sun to learn a little bit more about Edsall and where Glen Rock is. I agree they should have never fired Ralph and I admire Gloria for defending him, but Edsall is sure a much better choice for the next coach that Leach ever would have been.

Posted by: eddiemac99 | January 24, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I admire Gloria for standing up and presenting her opinion. She quite the person and lived the job of the coach's wife.

Oh and anyone who actually thinks that she intended to diss fans is delusional. Gloria is quality.

Posted by: bentoenail | January 24, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

****ALERT****
We suffered through essentially ten years of mediocrity with Fridge. Time to move on. I'm giving the new guy a chance to bring this program to a new level that Fridge could not attain.

Posted by: BruinSteve | January 24, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"We suffered through essentially ten years of mediocrity with Fridge."

7 bowl games in 10 years, including the Peach Bowl, Gator Bowl, Orange Bowl, Champ Sports bowl among others. Won our 5 of our last 6 bowls by a combined score of 212-93.

Compared to previous 15 years, 55-100 record, 1 bowl game (a tie with Louisiana Tech in the independence bowl!)

Yeah, sure sounds like MD was "mediocre" in the last 10 years...if only we can get back to the way things were in the 90s, then we'd be on the right track!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I moved to Maryland in 1962 and immediately became a Terp fan. I followed Coach Tom Nugent's teams of Darryl Hill and Jerry Fishman. My brother graduated from UMD in 1964 and I in 1968. My ex-wife and fiance are each alumna as well. Oh, and both my kids, too. Now that's what I call having ties. And as somebody who has very strong ties to the University of Maryland, it still peeves me the way Kevin Anderson treated our fellow alumnus, Coach Friedgen. I hope Mr. Anderson does more to help Coach Edsall than provide cover for his tenuous terp ties. Best of luck!

Posted by: BaseballFan | January 24, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Touché Mrs. Fridge . . . that's funny!!

Posted by: JB44 | January 24, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Bravo!!! I saw Edsell's interview on "Lunch w/ Lyndsay Czarniac" the other day and thought the same thing. He's not from Maryland... which is OK... but why pretend that he has ties to the school, which he clearly doesn't, and build a very weak case. He'd have more credibility if he simply said that even though he's not from Maryland, he's admired the school for a long time and always wanted to coach here.

Posted by: mcwop | January 24, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I graduated from Maryland, so did my mom and dad and my three kids. Maybe I should be the head coach. What a joke.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 24, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES what Edsall's ties to Maryland are? You don't hire a coach because he went to the school or is a fan of the school. That's a bonus, of course, but ultimately totally irrelevant. I hope Mrs. Friedgen was taken out of context here, because to imply that her husband deserved that job as long as he wanted it just because he went to Maryland is a pretty silly thing to say. I'm also not sure why she'd try to make a rude comment about Edsall when he isn't the one who fired her husband.

A lot of people (probably most) feel the firing was handled badly but snide, bitter remarks aren't going to gain them much sympathy. I'm sure the family is wiping away tears with their millions, courtesy of UMD.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 24, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

and, 44-42 over the last 7 years is pretty mediocre, if you ask me.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 24, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"I hope Mrs. Friedgen was taken out of context here, because to imply that her husband deserved that job as long as he wanted it just because he went to Maryland is a pretty silly thing to say."

I hope you're joking marylandarglington because if you seriously inferred that from Mrs. Friedgen's comments--that she thinks her husband "deserved the MD job as long as he wanted just bc he went to MD"--then I have to seriously question your reading comprehension skills (not to mention your intelligence).

As for Phillip258, we were mediocre in 2004, 2005, and 2007. In 2009 we were terrible. In 2001, 2002, 2003 we were great. In 2006, 2008, and 2010, we were good. To lump it all together and claim mediocrity is just plain silly.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh, apparently Kevin Anderson cares about Edsel's ties to Md since HE was the one to make such a big deal about it. And, who says the Friedgens expected Ralph to stay as long as he wanted just because he has ties to the school? However, I bet they did expect that he would coach next year... Since Anderson had already told him he would. Yes we must and should move on, but the fact is Ralph Friedgen was great to and for Md football. He was treated poorly and some people are angry.

Posted by: TerpsfanstuckinNC | January 24, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 I think Mrs Friedgen's comments where unfortunate and were probably best left unsaid, but I don't care if their entire family went to Maryland. Friedgen's first three years at Maryland weren't great, they were outstanding. In my opinion, he deserved all of the awards and pay raises he got. The last 7 years were mediocre and, in my option, the program had gone downhill and was treading water and he should have been fired after the 2009. He wasn't and that created a mess, but not only was he 44-42 in his last 7 years, if you take away the wins against Morgan St, Florida International, James Madison, Middle Tennessee State, Delaware, Eastern Michigan, Villanova, and William and Mary, the record is 34-42. I think that spells mediocrity over that last 7 years. Did he create this mess by having his first three years be outstanding, yes he did. I do not suggest that his overall accomplishments at Maryland were mediocre, but his last seven years were. Was his firing mishandled? Absolutely! Did he deserve to be treated better? Was it time to make a change? In my opinion, it was a year too late.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 24, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you take away wins versus ACC teams in that same time span, then you'll end up with 4-42...no that I think of it, why don't you just take away all his wins and just focus on the losses. The guy went 0-42 in the last 7 years! He should be fired after going 0-42!

Fans like you that will spend endless amounts of time trying to frame their own team as negatively as humanly possible really must get a lot pleasure out of sports. Tell me this, when was the last time a BCS conference coach won coach of the year and was fired. I'll save you the time: it's never happened before in history. That's all you need to know about whether Fridge "should have been fired."

Posted by: Barno1 | January 24, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Race Bating Barno1,

How do you know what the hiring practices are at the UMD? I happen to have once held a position at the UMD, and the decision to hire someone, which I have been part of interview panels, was never factored when making a final decision. Recommendations are forwarded to the final authority and that person makes his decision based upon what he feels comfortable with.

As for your ridiculous assertion that race-based hiring is designed to help people, people do not need help when given and equal opportunity to compete for jobs that people like you seem to think your entitled to. If Kevin Anderson was not qualified he would have never made the interview certification review. I may not agree with the hire, due to the stature(or lack there of) of Army's athletic department, but at least I disagree with the hire based upon relevance to the job at hand and the differences of the experience in athletic departments. Your racist lenses do not have the capacity to allow you to see this hire was not to help society. What an idiotic shallow view of how simple the world is to someone with meager mental capacity to assert the hire of one person, who happens to be black, will help society. When I said white disomfort, I should have said mental discomfort (or simplicity) is what ails you.

Posted by: mlh5173 | January 24, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

My aren't we a little emotional? You're the fan who is obsessing on that past because they didn't listen to you. Maryland has a new AD and a new football coach. And, as long as you brought up Friedgen's ACC record, it was 24-32 during his last 7 years. He had only 2 winning seasons during that time. Not very competitive in his own conference. He was paid to compete in the ACC and failed miserably for most of his last 7 years, COY award or not. And, if he didn't fatten up his W-L record on schools like Morgan St. and Bill and Mary, his overall record is even worse. I am not framing the team negatively, I am stating facts. His body of work during his last 7 years was more than enough reason to fire him. No conspiracy about the new AD and no conspiracy about the new football coach. It is time to move on and support the new Maryland AD and the new football coach or go support someone else.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 24, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Barno, sometimes people who read blogs on this website are actually commenting on the subject matter. They are not always commenting in order to get your opinion on their opinion. You do not need to come on here and tell people that they lack comprehension skills or intelligence when they are not talking to you. Contrary to what you seem to believe, the comments sections on washingtonpost.com are not "Ask Barno" forums.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 25, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Race Bating Barno1,

Posted by: mlh5173 | January 24, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse
---------

First off, I'm anything but a race-baiter. I despise race-baiters like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Bill Clinton (at least during the 08 primaries), Mike Wilbon, Mark Levin.

Second of all, how do I know UMD uses race-based hiring practices? Because UMD's former athletic director admitted so in an interview with ACCSports. We know for a fact that at the University of Maryland, black applicants are given a massive degree of preference over their white, Hispanic, and Asian counterparts in admissions (there have been several studies on this). We know that UMD takes race into heavy consideration in its undergrad admissions, med school, hiring, and faculty promotions. We know that 2 federal courts have struck down racially-reserved scholarships at UMD.

We also know--thanks to some ill-advised comments from Debbie Yow--that our public school took race into consideration (illegally and unconstitutionally) in the promotion of James Franklin to head coach in waiting. From a published report on accsports.com: "Only because Franklin is a 'qualified minority,' according to Yow, did College Park administrators willingly agree to his preemptive promotion. 'It’s part of our fabric,' she said of affirmative hiring, which at Maryland included the ACC’s first black basketball assistant coach and head coach, the first African-American chancellor, and the first and only female AD."

Pointing this out is not racist. Pointing out how extremely unlikely it is that the final 2 candidates for the AD job both, by sheer coincidence, were black is not racist either.

Get a grip mlh5173. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 24, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Um, where to start.

No, it was actually it was 44-42.

"He had only 2 winning seasons during that time."

"I am not framing the team negatively, I am stating facts."

"Not very competitive in his own conference."

Well if you consider that his teams were ACC title contenders throughout 2006, 2008, and 2010...than I'd say that's pretty competitive in the conference.

"And, if he didn't fatten up his W-L record on schools like Morgan St. and Bill and Mary, his overall record is even worse."

Every single BCS conference football program in the country "fattens up their record" with a couple of gimme wins a year. MD is no different than Florida State or Miami or Vtech in this regard. You are really showing your ignorance now.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
I agree with you that RF should NOT have been fired, but not every single BCS school plays a cupcake filled out of conference schdule. My alma matter, University of Colorado, played two BCS scjols (Georgia and Cal), a difficult non-BCS school (Hawaii), and our in-state rival (Colorado State) at a neutral site.

Posted by: break20 | January 25, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@all,
Edsall "ties" to Maryland are relevant b/c both he and KA made a big deal about them especially in his introduction conference. This would've been fine under normal circumstances but the fact is they had just fired someone with deeper ties to the school. This is why I believe Gloria was justified in her opinions, although she maybe should've been less public. Its hard to believe somebody who grew up in Pennsylvania (Penn St territory) and went to Syracuse with no assistant coaching stops at MD, grew up such a diehard Terps fan as he claims and this was his "dream job." That is why this is an issue.

Posted by: break20 | January 25, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@all,

Posted by: break20 | January 25, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno, once again you misstate facts and call people names rather than make your case in an attempt to argue your position. I am not going to stoop to your level and call you names; I sometimes agree with your posts and sometimes disagree, but I always try to respect your positions. That said:

Maryland’s ACC record since 2004:
2004 3-5
2005 3-5
2006 5-3
2007 3-5
2008 4-4
2009 1-7
2010 5-3
That adds up to 24-32, not your new math answer- and during that time he had only 2 winning seasons in the ACC, 2006 and 2010. So who what lie am I stating?? Maybe you should look in the mirror, my friend. And during that time, he never got to an ACC championship game.

It is OK to fatten up your schedule as long as you are over .500 in your conference. Florida State and Va Tech have incredible ACC w-l records to go along with a cream puff or two each year. That is a big difference. And, as long as you bring up Florida State, Bobby Bowden owned the ACC for years and won two national championships; still that didn’t guarantee him a job for life. When he had a few under achieving years, it was time for him to go too.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 25, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 9:10 PM | Report abuse

PHillips, you are talking ACC schedule, I was talking overall schedule. You've confused the two my friend.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno: you were responding to my post; in fact you cut and pasted my comment and responded to it... and my post was clearly addressing his ACC schedule; you were the one who confused the two.

Here, I'll refresh your memory:

You: Um, where to start.

My comment that you pasted: "as long as you brought up Friedgen's ACC record, it was 24-32 during his last 7 years."

You: No, it was actually it was 44-42.

My comments: "He had only 2 winning seasons during that time."

You: Actually, he had 4 bowl seasons and 3 winning seasons of 9, 8, and 9 wins respectively in that time.

My comments: "I am not framing the team negatively, I am stating facts."

You: Please see the above 2 comments, clearly you are not stating facts. You are stating lies.

My comments: "Not very competitive in his own conference."

And after confusing the two, you accused me of lying. At least, that is the way i see it.

Posted by: Phillip258 | January 25, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"break20, normally we agree but Colorado had several cupcakes on their schedule as you pointed out, including 3-9 Colorado St and 3-9 Kansas. MD got criticized for scheduling Navy, but they are an "in state rival" and a helluva lot better than Colorado State.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 9:10 PM"
-->I said out-of-conference schedule, but ill play along with the total package. If you want to talk about Kansas being on CU's schedule, then you have to account Duke, UVA, and a much lighter conference. Big 12 is superior to the ACC after all.

Now back to out-of-conference schedule, yes CSU is weaker than Navy, no dispute there. But Hawaii, Georgia, and Cal are stronger than Morgan State, Florida International, and West Virginia.

I venture to say if Maryland played a Big 12 schedule (with CU's out of conference schedule), they would NOT have made a bowl. Look at how Oklahoma did against Edsall's UConn squad.

Posted by: break20 | January 26, 2011 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 25, 2011 9:10 PM"

Posted by: break20 | January 26, 2011 1:06 AM | Report abuse

@Barno ---> PWNED

Here, I'll refresh your memory:

You: Um, where to start.

You: No, it was actually it was 44-42.

My comments: "He had only 2 winning seasons during that time."

My comments: "I am not framing the team negatively, I am stating facts."

My comments: "Not very competitive in his own conference."

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | January 27, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse