Posted at 1:21 PM ET, 01/20/2011

Gus Frerotte gets a head coaching job

By Dan Steinberg

Gus Frerotte is the new head football coach at the John Burroughs School in St. Louis. He had spent the past two years as the school's quarterback coach. Fr'real. The Bombers were 14-1 and the Missouri Class 3 state runners-up this past season.

Here's something you might not know about Frerotte: he was the last Redskins quarterback to lead the team in passing yards with a quarterback rating under 71 for a season. That came in 1995, when Frerotte checked in at 70.2 and the Redskins finished 6-10.

Here's something you do know about Frerotte: he once headbutted a FedEx Field wall and injured himself during a 7-7 tie with the Giants, Washington's only tie since 1969 1971. For fun, I pulled some of the relevant clips.

Boswell: Forget the spike, the Chicken Dance and the Lambeau leap into the crowd. In the annals of end zone celebration, we now have a new, undisputed winner: Gus's Goof.

"It was a stupid thing to do," said Frerotte. "I've butted heads with people many times."

But people aren't the same as walls.

"I've never thought to tell a guy not to hit his head against a wall," said tight-jawed coach Norv Turner. "We'll put that in our preseason coaching points next year."

Kornheiser: You know how in baseball parks they'll mark off where a monstrous homer landed by painting the seat a different color? Well, the Redskins ought to paint a yellow circle around the spot where Gus slammed his head, and inside the circle paint a No. 12 with a slash through it.

I knew that Gus was in trouble when he went directly back to the bench, and picked up the phone -- and started calling whiplash lawyers.

This is a true fact: Norv Turner hadn't known that Gus had hurt himself. So when Norv saw Gus sitting down, he came over and asked, "What's wrong?" And Gus said, "I've got a headache." I've got a headache! Hey, it's a football game, not a blind date.

Stephen Hunter: If the timing weren't off, I'd suggest that possibly the screenwriter of "Flubber" was Gus Frerotte and he wrote the script in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after he voluntarily reorganized his brain cells.

Reliable Source: Deep inside our craniums, which we have never run headlong into a wall, we hear Nan Mancini of Johnny's Dance Band singing "My boyfriend Alfredo's got brains like potatoes." Gus is gorgeous, which earns him Source bonus points, but he has no impulse control.

But that was a long time ago. So congrats to Frerotte. And make sure not to headbutt your players.

(Via The Big Lead)

By Dan Steinberg  | January 20, 2011; 1:21 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins send panorama print to premium seat holders
Next: Doc Emrick on Ovechkin and the Caps

Comments

The Redskin Ram! Classic!

Posted by: Langway4Eva | January 20, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Haha! Nice.

Posted by: Tiffany010 | January 20, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Gus is gorgeous...really??

I was at that game...the most painful sporting event I have ever attended, and I've seen a few bad ones. Was there for the 10 point last minute collapse vs Duke. Was there for the 2 timeouts against Buffalo. Was there for the Eagles dropping 35 on us in 1 quarter. But I've never seen anything worse than staying at a game til nearly 1:00 a.m. on a school night to watch an 7-7 tie that, literally, cost us a trip to the playoffs. It's been over a decade, and I've never quite recovered from that game.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The best part of the video was hearing Frank Herzog's timeless call "Touchdown Washington Redskins!" Wish we could bring that back.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 20, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

This and Robbie Alomar spitting on an ump are my biggest childhood local sports memories

Posted by: trousers | January 20, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Gus Frerotte set the record for passing yards in one game for the Denver Broncos.I'm not sure if he still has it,but it was funny that it wasn't held by John Elway.

Posted by: seanmg | January 20, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I liked Ferotte and wish him well. That was the only game I ever went to at that awful stadium. I wish Ferotte well.

Posted by: ftlmikeflorida | January 20, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Gus is gorgeous...really??

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Were you there for the 3-0 classic loss against the Jets? Now THAT was bad!

Best of luck to Gus!

Posted by: stwasm | January 21, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Gus is gorgeous...really??

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Were you there for the 3-0 classic loss against the Jets? Now THAT was bad! I remember leaving that Giants game and while climbing the stairs I heard someone exclaim, "I waited all day for a (expletive) tie?"

Best of luck to Gus!

Posted by: stwasm | January 21, 2011 7:38 AM | Report abuse

That game was awesome. Up until the point where Michael Westbrook took off his helmet and slammed it to the ground. I'm pretty sure his 15-yard penatly cost them a shot at a potential game winning FG.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | January 21, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Were you there for the 3-0 classic loss against the Jets? Now THAT was bad!

Best of luck to Gus!

Posted by: stwasm | January 21, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I remember that game well, but no I wasn't there for it thank God.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 21, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse