Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 01/23/2011

Mustafa Shakur's oversized jersey

By Dan Steinberg

I jump on one stinking flight to Las Vegas -- five stinking hours -- and wouldn't you know the Caps win, Ovechkin gets a hat trick, the Wizards beat the Celtics, and Mustafa Shakur shows up wearing a jersey he picked up from the YMCA's lost and found box.

Well, it can't be helped. But here's that jersey, if you haven't seen it. Let's quote from Wizards Insider:

So hastily was he added to the roster that it appeared his jersey wasn't quite ready either. Shakur wore No. 22, but the lettering and his name plate were clearly out of position.

"I don't know. I think they tried to put my zip code on there," Shakur said, eliciting laughter throughout the locker room. "They, you know, messed it up a little bit."

No, no. What they did is they created a lasting memory.

(Images e-mailed from an anonymous reader, and taken from @jeskeets.)

By Dan Steinberg  | January 23, 2011; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Mason-James Madison: The whole world will be watching
Next: Gloria Friedgen on Maryland football

Comments

How did I know you would post about this? His jersey was totally ridiculous looking, but awesome...come on Wiz, this is the NBA. Does anyone else notice that Leonsis wears a pass around his neck during games? Does he think people dont know who he is?

Posted by: rc2223 | January 23, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the whole team needs to wear jerseys like that at the next road game.

I hope he frames it with the bottom "tucked in" to the frame.

Posted by: wfyurasko | January 23, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I thought this was a whole new management and philosophy. This reeks of the Rasheed and Ben Wallace fiasco all over again!

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 23, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

wow that jersey alone must have bothered rondo's jumper

Posted by: jefferu | January 23, 2011 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought Wes Unseld Jr. was better with a needle and thread than that.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | January 24, 2011 7:24 AM | Report abuse

It isn't that the jersey is oversized, it is that they stitched on the name and numbers way too low.

That's a uniform FAIL.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 24, 2011 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how a professional sports team could screw something up like that. He should keep it though he played well.

Posted by: adambishop | January 24, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

maybe he was just getting back to his roots. you know, wearing donated jerseys that are 10x too big

Posted by: philarmy | January 24, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Dan, while I find this hilarious. I was hoping to see something of the kid right behind the Capitals bench on Saturday in Toronto. He was wearing a bright orange suit that had black stripes throughout it.

Hoping to see some photos of that.

Posted by: jnolan11 | January 24, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dan, make sure you send this to Paul Lucas at the uniwatch blog.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | January 24, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The NBA and Wizards should sell a replica version of that particular Shakur jersey.

Posted by: JPRS | January 24, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

That was an "H Street" Chinatown knock-off special jersey!!!

That's the first thing I thought of when I turned on the TV and saw that...i was ROFLMAO!!!

I say knock-off, b/c I own a few too...ha ha!

Posted by: jmt4m | January 24, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

It's a Gordon Gartrelle and it's tucked into his socks!!!

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | January 25, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

his jersey pretty much defines this team: Assembled poorly last minute in desperation to put SOMETHING out there...

Posted by: bull_ish435 | January 25, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Next we'll see jerseys with WIZRDS on the front.

Posted by: colezig37 | January 29, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse