Posted at 9:06 AM ET, 01/ 4/2011

Redskins Radio, week 17 highlights

By Dan Steinberg

I listened to a decent amount of the Redskins' week 17 loss on ESPN 980, the flagship station of the Redskins Radio Network. And I managed to hear three bits of dialog I wanted to pass along. I promise, I'm not doing this to try to make fun of anyone. They were just special moments.

Moment I: Fred Davis's Touchdown

Larry Michael: Fred Davis is open, it's a touchdown! Touchdown Redskins! Fred Davis! And the Skins are on the board!

Sonny Jurgensen: Good play, good play by Grossman buying time and just waiting for the guy to clear and come open.

Sam Huff: Boy, he was WIDE open. Nobody even...I mean, he hasn't caught a touchdown pass, so they didn't cover him.

Michael: Well, he caught one last week.

Huff: Did he?

Michael: In all honesty, that's his third touchdown of the year.

Huff: Well, good. Nobody was with him.

Moment II: The Giants Pass With a Late Lead

Michael: Why aren't they running the ball here?

Jurgensen: Doesn't make sense. Doesn't make sense.

Huff: Well, they have a bad offensive coordinator, too, to call a play like this.

Jurgensen: What do you mean too?

Huff: I mean also. How's that?

Jurgensen: Well, we have a good one. Kevin Gilbride is theirs.

Huff: I don't like either one of them.

Jurgensen: Oh, ok.

Huff: I like the defensive guys.

Michael: You'll be able to see Kyle in the locker room, go tell him.

Jurgensen: You can tell the coach in the locker room that.

Huff: What, [the] son? Ok. I don't like him.

Moment III: Eli Manning Throws the Ball Away on Third Down

Michael: Back to pass Manning, gets flushed out to the right, running for it, London Fletcher giving chase, and he throws it away.

Huff: He grounded the ball!

Jurgensen: He's out of the pocket, Sam!

Huff: I know, but you know....

Michael: Actually, that incompletion stops the clock with 8:47 to play.

Huff: He intentionally grounded it, that's what I'm saying, to stop the clock.

Jurgensen: But it's not a penalty, you're allowed to do that if it's out of the pocket.

Huff: I'm sorry, I didn't call a penalty, I just said he grounded the damn thing.

Michael: Well, there's no grounding outside of the pocket.

Jurgensen: No grounding, it's an incompleted pass.

Huff: Well, ok. He got away with it, now they've got to punt.

Michael: Well, he didn't get away with it, it was not a penalty.

Huff: Well, I didn't say it was a penalty.

By Dan Steinberg  | January 4, 2011; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's SportsCenter ad
Next: The National Anthem at the Winter Classic

Comments

I think everyone recognizes that Sam doesn't quite have it any more. Kudos to Sonny for being gentle even as listeners readily pick up his exasperation. No real pleasure in reading this.

Posted by: McKinley2 | January 4, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

They gotta be the worst play by play guys in the business.

Posted by: toddk82 | January 4, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Please Steinberg. It is obvious that you are trying to belittle Huff. Classy. Sure, he's lost his fast ball. But Sonny is still great and many of us just like the tradition of having them do the broadcasts. Give it a rest.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 4, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I can't think of a more fitting broadcast crew for these Washington Redskins. I love Sam. His lunacy/senility is one of the things that helps you take your mind off the fact that the Redskins are so awful, and that helps the listener make it through the game. A team like this needs some comic relief!

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | January 4, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I mean, it's all about entertainment value isn't it? As long as the play by play is solid, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Sonny, Sam and Larry are pure entertainment. It's like watching the game with your family- they don't hold back.

Also, I find it supremely entertaining when they bicker like old ladies.

If anyone honestly prefers Kenny, Moose & Goose...well...

Posted by: MyOpinionIs | January 4, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

This broadcast crew crossed the line from entertaining to cringe-inducing several years ago. Sam Huff should always be honored but the Redskins are not doing him or us any favors by continuing him on live radio.

Posted by: evwill | January 4, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I have been extremely frustrated by these guys for years now. It is hard to listen to the game on the radio. Sometimes you don't even know what is going on on the field even though Michael does his best.

It's pathetic. It needs to stop.

Posted by: Rory14 | January 4, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The Sam and Sonny reparte is the best part of the game. It's pure entertainment. Living in So.Cal.I can't get their broadcasts and I miss them. Far better than the duffuses on Fox/ESPN et al.

Posted by: bg1fan1 | January 4, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Sonny still has his QB brain. But Steinberg... please stop picking on Sam. We all know he's getting old. And he should pack it in soon. Stop trying to embarrass him.

Posted by: destewar | January 4, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually bg1fan1 if you really wanted to you could have streamed them on espn980, albeit with a huge delay.

Posted by: amorris525 | January 4, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Enough with embarrassing Sam already. What does this achieve? Why is it your mission to get him off the air?

Posted by: silverlaker1 | January 4, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The broadcast team is a joke. Sonny is only one worth listening to (about anything). Sam is old and played too many games before the concussion rule. BUT Larry Michael is a HACK. He is the worst.

Posted by: DCFanCouncil | January 4, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

So, when you get tired of bashing the 'Skins you pick on Sam? What next? The cheerleaders? Why don't you pick on Sam in person? Even in his 70's he would kick your butt without breathing hard. I guess that's why you don't pick on the cheerleaders either, afraid one of them would clean your clock too.

By the way, is that the best picture of you the WaPo can come up with? Your head can't possibly be that long and skinny and I am sure your eyes are not that close together. And those little ferret-like teeth must be some sort of distortion. I guess the WaPo doesn't want to spend much on photographers, like they obviouslly don't spend much on reporters.

Posted by: jimbrooks99 | January 4, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Give me Frank, Sam and Riggo. Would be gold.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | January 4, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the most impressive thing about this post is that it's been up for 3 hours with no mention of Frank Herzog.

Posted by: tha_prophet | January 4, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

time to put these two mules out to pasture.

Posted by: funkey | January 4, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The only negative of these broadcasts is Larry Michael. Sonny and Sam are old and senile but they're OUR old and senile analysts. But I"ll be goddamned if Larry Michael doesn't make my blood boil with every word he speaks. He's a stooge, and I have no respect for him, and I'm not the only one. Plus his voice is garbage.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 4, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Herzog......leave Huff alone.

Posted by: yampaco | January 4, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

To all that are saying the Steinberg should leave this group alone, I think you should redirect your attention to the organization that keeps throwing Sam out there every week. They should take him out of the booth.

If a professional broadcaster is going to routinely make comments like these on the air, reporters and bloggers have full right to pull out the quotes for their own use. They happen to be hilarious.

Posted by: champ82 | January 4, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is the worst play by play annoucer ever to do any area sports team..PERIOD!!!, Sonny is still listenable to..Sam has Alzhimer's but was great. New Booth should be Steve Buckhantz/Sony/Riggo/or maybe Joe T...Doc Walker is really good to

Posted by: tuffy6326 | January 4, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Viva Sonny and Sam! Don't force either of them out over this stuff. It makes the game sooo much more enjoyable!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 4, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone arguing for Rick "Doc" Walker in the booth needs to have their head examined. Do you really want to hear 4 hours of how player X is such a baller or spend time trying to figure out all of his pet nicknames? I can never figure out who is referring to as Hercules on the Redskins' defense, but I am pretty sure that Sellers is The Caveman. The fact that he has 2 hours every day on the radio is enough torture, especially when he is paired with John Thompson.

With regards to Sam, I think that the only way you are going to see any change is if someone has the guts to put this trainwreck on paper. I have only been in DC for 20 years, so I don't have any deep feelings for Sam (although I have met Sonny and he seems like a genuinely nice and engaging guy). Sam is clearly out of touch with what is going on during most of the game and the fact that Sonny needs to be his caretaker really distracts from the ebb and flow of the broadcast. I don't care much for Larry, either, but he might be better if there was a solid #2 in the booth.

Posted by: AlligatorArms | January 5, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@amorris525 - Are you sure that you can stream games? I thought that they were blacked out per NFL rules like with Nats and Caps games on 1500

Posted by: COYNECMC | January 5, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse