Posted at 12:19 PM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Scott Van Pelt on the Edsall hiriing

By Dan Steinberg

Remember after Ralph Friedgen got fired, when Scott Van Pelt suggested that the Terps better get Mike Leach as the replacement? Here was the quote.

"It's like Christmas time. A kid wants a bike for Christmas, not a book. Leach is a bike; anybody else is a book. And it had better be Leach."

Well, obviously, it wasn't Leach. It was an Edsall. And when Van Pelt was on ESPN 980 again this week, he returned to the issue.

"I'll be very frank: I don't know what went on, and the people I was talking to, I don't think they necessarily know what went on either," Van Pelt said. "But I'll say this: if you got rid of Ralph to bring in a guy that was gonna excite the fan base and put butts in seats sight unseen, Leach was that guy. I think Randy Edsall's a fine football coach. In fact, I think he's a very good football coach, but you already had one in Ralph Friedgen, who was an alum.

"It was sticky - he wanted to be extended and blah blah blah - but look, I was on your show prior to Christmas, and I made the analogy, something about it's Christmas and kids want a bike and Leach is a bike. Edsall might not have excited people initially, but I think he walks into a pretty good situation. I think he'll be good. And look, all these clowns on the chat room boards that are saying they're never gonna go to a game, what are you gonna do next fall? Not watch football? You're gonna support Maryland. So if they're good, everybody will forget all the anger that they had last week."

I happen to agree. Although if they're bad, people won't really forget the anger, clowns or otherwise.

By Dan Steinberg  | January 7, 2011; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaVale McGee's slam dunk practice session
Next: Todd Yoder's wife tore Chris Cooley's meniscus

Comments

The real slap in the face is that Leach's teams are so interesting. He had Texas Tech as Game of the Week four weeks in a row. He never went three weeks without his offence scoring a TD. He never had a 2 win season. U Conn plays and wins ugly. It's like watching paint dry. The fact that this was not the AD's 1st choice and was likely dictated by the suits' fears of Craig James and ESPN makes it all the more infuriating. This clown and his clown friends canceled their season tickets. There's lots to do on Saturdays other than go to Byrd Stadium - just ask the majority of Maryland fans whose indifference left the stadium half empty under Ralph, who was one of ours.

Posted by: flynnie321 | January 7, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I will be there to support the school but question the AD Anderson. What the hell was he thinking?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 7, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

SVP reads Terps Insider?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 7, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Even coverage of Leach saying crazy Leachlike things would have = more attention for Maryland football. I'm an alum who's been to maybe two Terps football games since graduating over a decade ago. A coach like Leach who prefers a dynamic, aggressive offense might've lured me to a few more right out of the gate.

With Edsall, yeah, if he does well, people will start to show interest. But with Leach that interest came before he even set foot on the sideline.

I thought Leach must've been a behind-the-scenes done deal for Maryland to have botched Ralph's firing so poorly. Ooops.

Posted by: scrappledog | January 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scrappledog | January 7, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell Van Pelt that we 'clowns in the chat room' help keep him and his network on the air. Having attended Terp games since 1963 I can safely say that I will not be attending this fall. It's not replacing Ralph, it's HOW they did it. If you don't stand for something, you don't stand for anything. The University should be setting examples of good ethics, not exemplifying bad ethics. Naive or not, I have support the University because it represented an ideal. That ideal has been cheapened, and so will my support be equally reduced. There are LOTS of other universities to support, and lots to watch on TV or attend games. Maryland is no longer has a good Athletic Department management team.

Posted by: bfjam | January 7, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

NCAA accuses Texas Tech of recruiting violations.

enough said.

Posted by: laud001 | January 7, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Did Maryland supporters really want a coach who routinely refers to his own players and others as MFs (you can watch it on YouTube)?

If excitement is all that's important then let's get rid of the whole idea of the student athlete and just make college football a semi-pro league. Then you can have as your goal pure entertainment, and throw morality and character building out the window.

Win at any cost fans have forgotten that college sports is about life, and not simply about self gratification.

Posted by: Ride2K | January 8, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

You may not be worried about these “clowns” in the chat rooms saying they won’t attend games. It’s the vast Silent Majority that one might have hoped would have attended more games that is more concerning.

Posted by: TerpAlum | January 8, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

SVP reads TerrapinTimes.com and occasionally posts on it.

Posted by: joshf823 | January 8, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse