Posted at 9:38 AM ET, 01/11/2011

Snyder on FedEx Field

By Dan Steinberg

About midway through Tuesday morning's D.C. owners summit, Daniel Snyder was asked about the possibility of moving the Redskins back to D.C. This was interesting.

"I think that first thing is we're probably looking at what we're going to do with our training facility," Snyder said. "We're halfway through our life cycle of our stadium. Ultimately I don't know where we'll end up, but I'm very open to everything. I grew up with RFK, enjoyed its intimacy. FedEx Field, I think I've done the best I can to make it a fantastic stadium, a state of the art stadium. We've spent a lot of money to really update it....We are the largest tailgate parking lot in the NFL, and you go out there and see a sea of burgundy and gold four hours before the game. It's really remarkable."

The event's moderator then followed up, pointing out that FedEx Field does really poorly in fan surveys and asking whether he needs a new facility.

"I think that ultimately, obviously, we'll have a new stadium someday," Snyder said. "But right now we've got a fairly new stadium, and I think it comes down to what we try to do for the fans there. It's been pretty good."

Still later, Snyder was asked about publicly financed facilities.

He said that he spent $150 million of his own money "to upgrade the stadium as best I can. Having seen a lot of different stadiums, and seen public finance vs private finance, it's something that if you're considering building something, you've got to look at. But the obligation on the owner is really primarily to pay for it. When it comes to the city and asking the city to do something, you try to do what's best for the community."

By Dan Steinberg  | January 11, 2011; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Atlantic 11 Week 7: Georgetown wobbles
Next: Snyder: No to HBO's Hard Knocks

Comments

Good political answer. Unless Snyder is going to pay the bulk of the costs, stay in PG. DC doesn't need to spend money for a stadium on the RFK site where all the proceeds, minus taxes on tickets, would be given to the owner.

Posted by: dccavalier | January 11, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Well that's where you can't have it both ways. Jack Kent Cooke pays for the stadium largely out of his own pocket. And every one whines because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a corporate welfare stadium like Baltimore does..........I give Cooke tremendous credit for paying for it himself. And I will give Snyder tremendous credit for paying for one himself if he does it.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 11, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It would be fantastic to have the Skins in the District again, but can anyone realistically imagine a). Snyder digging into his own pockets to finance the whole thing or b). the DC city council/mayor getting a deal done that makes good fiscal sense? The answers are "NO" and "NO". So for the foreseeable future the Skins will be in that awful, no personality FedEx field in the armpit of the metro area: Landover.

Posted by: dbunkr | January 11, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Did I misread this or is he hinting at the possibility of Redskins Park moving to DC?

Posted by: nepetro | January 11, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

In other news, condos on Joe Gibbs Way see 2023 futures prices plummet by 70% of their previous value.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 11, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Corporate welfare" (while it is completely the wrong concept to allude to when public money is used to finance a project that will be paid back by taxes) oddly sounds like a liberal idea, yet is mostly championed by the right. I find it funny that the right finds it okay to funnel public money (in the form of tax breaks or otherwise) to businesses, but finds it abhorrent to funnel money into what could be effective social programs to invest in actual people. It's as if they're blind to the fact that just as the minority of people using welfare funds individually may game the system, corporations are not immune to abusing the system either.

Posted by: crzytwnman | January 11, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Would be a good idea to move Redskins Park to DC. A lot of the players are young and would like to live in the city. More importantly, it would help the Redskins become more of an interwoven fabric of Washington, DC, like the Caps, Wiz, United and Nationals.

Posted by: NAT1971 | January 11, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

personally i could care less about the stadium, how about a winning season and some playoff games?

Posted by: jacksonalex | January 11, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nepetro | January 11, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sure he's talking about a bubble or indoor facility so they won't have to go practice in a local gym when the weather is bad. It's not coming to DC.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 11, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Never had a problem with Fed Ex. Never taken more than 45 minutes or so to get there and park on game day from Montgomery County. I suspect most of the people who complain about the stadium don't go to the games in the first place. Traffic around the stadium WAS an issue, about 8 or 9 years ago. It has since been fixed...yet those that don't go to the games don't realize that and still complain about the traffic even though they don't go to the games.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 11, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1

Traffic isn't a problem anymore? HUH?????

You are literally the ONLY person who has ever said/written that....Traffic SUCKS at FedEx -- it takes FOREVER to get out of that awful lot. Yes -- I do go to the games. You are delusional.

Posted by: dbunkr | January 11, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I would think his comments about a practice facility stem from them not having an indoor facility they can practice in during rain/snow/high wind. Not a bad investment on his part when every other cold-weather team has this.

Posted by: jcurrin | January 11, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"I grew up with RFK, enjoyed its intimacy. FedEx Field, I think I've done the best I can to make it a fantastic stadium, a state of the art stadium. We've spent a lot of money to really update it....We are the largest tailgate parking lot in the NFL, and you go out there and see a sea of burgundy and gold four hours before the game. It's really remarkable."

What a crock of feces. The greatest service Dan Snyder could render to the Redskins and their supporters is to die.

Posted by: garrafa10 | January 11, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The redskins are not leaving PG in the foreseeable future. Listen to what Synder said he invested 10 pct of his total net worth into improving Fedex and the stadium is only halfway through it's lifecycle of 30 years. The redskins have even purchased additional properties around Fedex in the past few years. Synders net worth is about a billion why would he in debt himself with a 3 billion dollar stadium?

Posted by: waterboard | January 11, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Getting out of FedEx is awful. Period. Getting in isnt bad anymore. But getting out is near criminal at times.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 11, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Sensible people, especially season-ticket holders, should be thrilled that Snyder doesn't want a new stadium. Why? Because some chunk of the cost of a new stadium is going to come from Personal Seat Licenses. At the new Giants stadium, that has meant $1,000 to $20,000 per ticket/seat. Even though the team needs (vast) improvement, I look forward all year to going to the games. If a new stadium is going to cost me a $40,000 PSL fee for my four seats, I can't justify the expense. How many of you will be able to?

Posted by: StevenGrossman | January 11, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

If you park in the stadium lots it is miserable. If you park a little farther out at the cash lots...it's much better. I'm in Columbia and go to every game. I'm usually home by 5:30 or 6 from a 1pm start. Of course that gets better as the year goes on and people lose interest.

I would say that my #1 complaint about the stadium is the concessions. Slow, always running out of things, bad attitudes, disorganized. I guess it must be hard to hire good help for just 10 dates a year. But having friendly, hustling people at the concessions and making/having enough food on-hand to quickly service guests would go a long way to improving a dreary gameday experience.

Posted by: CByrd1 | January 11, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Change the racist name of the Washington football team Danny Boy. Go Ravens!

Posted by: jmarks09 | January 11, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

jmarks09, how about you change your racist name first.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 11, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

As others have noted, the comment about the Redskins' practice facility relates to building some sort of indoor space in which the Redskins can practice. The Post ran an article a few weeks ago, I believe sometime in December, regarding the Redskins' lack of such a facility and some barriers in the way of the Redskins' building one. The main problem, if I recall correctly, is that Redskins Park is located near a stream's flood plain and local environmental and safety regulations prohibit the Redskins from constructing a building within the flood plain. Two of the Redskins' existing outdoor practice fields are within the flood plain, and that's OK because it's not particularly dangerous to have an outdoor football practice field get flooded, but apparently the Redskins' building a covered facility there is a problem. I guess there isn't sufficient room elsewhere on the Redskins Park site, perhaps?

I believe the other issue the Redskins had last month when it snowed was that the grass fields froze and the Redskins thus wound up practicing on AstroTurf, so I think the Redskins were talking about installing heating mechanisms underneath one or all of the grass fields to prevent that problem in the future.

I seem to recall Joe Gibbs being opposed to adding a bubble at Redskins Park because it makes the players soft.

(I've made a special effort to use the word "Redskins" as many times as was grammatically feasible as a special favor to jmarks09.)

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 11, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

On the traffic at FedEx, I went to my first game (against the Giants) in several years and it took me 45 minutes to get there and 45 minutes to get home. I live in Arlington and came through the city. 45 minutes is excellent. I parked in the Cooper lot.

Posted by: Loggie1 | January 11, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Remove all the extra seats you crammed in there, without adding commensurate restroom or concessions stands, and the stadium would be fine. Of course you won't do that.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | January 11, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | January 11, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Getting out takes a while at pretty much every stadium I've ever been too. Even Byrd stadium when it's half full takes a while to get out of campus, because everyone's leaving at the same time.

But thanks for at least someone else being honest about traffic getting IN to fed ex...as Jpfterps said, it's really not bad anymore.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 11, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I look for a new Redskins Park to built on land the Redskins purchased near the stadium, its no secret the Loudon County residential experience for younger redskins players has been counterproductive to their success in recent years.

Posted by: waterboard | January 11, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waterboard | January 11, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

All these owners who say they paid for the stadium out of their own pockets, well perhaps up front, but as soon as t place is built and finished, they get a bank or banks to finance a mortgage and they get their money back.

As for a new training facility (how about building the indoor practice center on the existing parking lot and make employees and players walk or carpool to work) and new stadium (Fedex is not even 15 years old yet), hey Dan, look west, way west, like LA west!

Posted by: bbmcoachk | January 12, 2011 6:46 AM | Report abuse

I am taking credit for them building a bubble.

I think no one has said they need to do this more than I did on the blogs of WaPo....

I also take credit for going back to gold pants.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 12, 2011 6:53 AM | Report abuse