Posted at 11:08 AM ET, 01/18/2011

Steve Buckhantz lets rip with a Dagger

By Dan Steinberg

There was a time when the Wizards were winning frequently enough, and Gilbert was bombing in last-second clinchers with enough regularity, that the mere appearance of a Steve Buckhantz "Dagger!!!!!!" may not have necessitated multiple blog posts.

Sadly, that time is in the distant past. I asked Buckhantz Tuesday morning how many times he's been able to use his signature call this season; he thought that Monday's Nick Young three-pointer was only the second. And how did it feel?

"It was physically and emotionally therapeutic," Buckhantz e-mailed me.

Here here. Plus, I love Yi's reaction.

(Via Truth About It)

By Dan Steinberg  | January 18, 2011; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin makes Saturday Night Live
Next: Post Sports: NFL Championship games, Wizards make progress and the Caps head out on the road

Comments

Yes, it was nice to hear the "dagger" call yesterday, although I was worried it may have come a little too early, given the Wizards' ability to let large leads slip away in the final 30 seconds

I posted this comment over on Wizards Insider, but will repeat it here, given that this particular Steinberg post is about Mr. Buckhantz:

One of the CSN TV producers needs to drill it into the heads of Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier that when the Wizards play at 1 p.m., it's not nighttime outside. All throughout yesterday's game, Buckhantz kept referring to "tonight" this, "tonight" that, when delivering stats or talking about the game against the Jazz. Chenier and Chris Miller also continuously referred to "tonight's" game. I understand it's very rare that they broadcast a "day" game, but that's still no excuse.

Also, someone tell Buckhantz to stop using the word "collectively" when describing how the Wizards are doing as a team. All you need to say, for example, is "the Wizards are shooting 80% from the FT line." Collectively is redundant.

Thank you!

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | January 18, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting to hear Buck let loose with a "Backbreaker" when Young nailed that three pointer. I was a bit surprised/disappointed that he went with "Dagger" in given the time/score situation.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | January 18, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Thank you!

Posted by: HonestBroker1

Posted by: ged0386 | January 18, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Are you this much of a anal whiney biiich in everyday life or is that just your blog personality? Who cares what they say as commentators. I watch the game to see the game not listen and critique them. Get a life."

------------------------------------

Are you this much of an anal whiney ***** in everyday life? Who cares what someone comments in a blog? I read these articles to get inside information, not to decide what is and what isn't an acceptable pet peave. Get a life.

Posted by: ouvan59 | January 18, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or normally the dagger call is used when buck is referring to the other team putting the finishing touches on the terrrible wizards.

Posted by: jdb70 | January 18, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdb70 | January 18, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

jdb70 - I think he uses "backbreaker" when it goes against the Wizards, and "dagger" when it goes for the Wiz.

Posted by: quinn3 | January 18, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This is too trivial to even comment on. Oh wait, I just did. Never mind.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 18, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

This can't be possible is my favorite, Buckhantz quote

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | January 18, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386

Whoa Nelly!! I take it you watch your Wiz on TV w/ the sound turned down as low as it can go. And if you don't care what Buck says and if it's all about the action, why bother clicking through on this "Dagger" blog entry? I prefer to listen announcers who aren't stuck in a rut, who can rise above the daily grind of announcing almost 82 games a year, who can make each game and each play sound unique.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | January 18, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

my favorite daggar moment was when the wizards went to new orleans 2007-2008 season and was playing the second seeded hornets. Wiz were undermanned with Gil and Caron out. The wiz were tied at 106 with 7 seconds left and no timeouts and deshawn hit a game winning 3. DAGGARRRRRRRR

Posted by: jefferu | January 19, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

you suck, HonestBroker.

Buck and Chenier are awesome, and you sound like their mother-in-law the way you are nitpicking. Are you an english teacher? Or do you just wish you were?

Another Buck quote I love is "...annd the Wizards turn it over.." which is always said with an annoyed tone. haha

Posted by: bigtriumverate | January 19, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Buck and Chenier are very good, in my opinion, but my favorite moments for both are the Verizon Center Kiss Cam escapades from a few years ago. THAT was epically funny.
"DAGGER!"