Posted at 9:24 AM ET, 01/ 4/2011

The National Anthem at the Winter Classic

By Dan Steinberg

I think superstar Caps blogger Jon Press spoke for a huge number of Caps fans when he wrote this on Twitter Monday morning:

I've never shouted "red" at a game before and don't intend to start now... but I did on Saturday, and it was pretty awesome.

"Same could be said for many of us," the gents at On Frozen Blog replied.

Plenty of people find both the "Red!" and the "Oh!" used by Caps fans to be cheesy, hackneyed or even disrespectful. And indeed, I think a certain segment of D.C. sports fans just wish those tics would go away. And yet, like the above bloggers, you had to sort of appreciate the moment on Saturday when those gimmicks signaled just how many Caps fans were in Pittsburgh.

"When the national anthem was playing, and all the ohs and the red and all that, that was where I really figured that there was a ton of us there," Karl Alzner told me after the game. It came through plenty clear on the television broadcast (I was listening to it on delay in the auxiliary press area), but it comes through even clearer on the above video. Fast forward to about 1:35. And bear in mind there's an audible curse word after the "Red!" part.

(Via @jbeardsley)

By Dan Steinberg  | January 4, 2011; 9:24 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Radio, week 17 highlights
Next: Why the Caps fist pump to DJ Pauly D

Comments

I usually hate the "red" and "O's" thing, but when the fans yelled "red" a lot of Caps fans in my section (including me) looked at each other with the realization that there were tons of fans there. It was pretty cool.

Posted by: AndrewKB | January 4, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with yelling "Red", as it's a tradition that comes from college hockey games at Cornell (the Big Red), and there are few crowds more intimidating than those at Lynah Rink.

I do have a problem with yelling "Oh", as it's a holdover from Orioles games.

Posted by: MaxWass | January 4, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The "Oh!" is actually "O's!", for the Orioles.

(I hate it.)

Posted by: yatesc1 | January 4, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It is disrespectful, classless, and some may feel unpatriotic. It figures that the Orioles idiots started it with Oh? O? And down the BW Parkway the clever Caps bandwagon types thought GENIUS, let's do Red.

You know the old saying "Act like you have been there before"? Yah, act with some manners.

Posted by: PensRule | January 4, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore must be so proud

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I hate the 'Oh' for Orioles with a passion. I still can't understand why DC mucks still do it ...
The 'red' is a fairly new thing ...

Generally, I think the anthem should be respected and not messed up with chants like these.

Love the Caps, but let's not act like we live in Baltimore.

Posted by: SavedByZero | January 4, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Love the Caps, but let's not act like we live in Baltimore.

Posted by: SavedByZero | January 4, 2011 10:10 AM

Many Caps fans are from Germantown, Olney, Laurel, Crofton, etc. The 'Merrlin Oooooeeeehhhhwwwww' periphery of DC, if you will. Edward Bennett Williams and Home Team Sports told them that Baltimore and Washington were the same place. That's why they continue that bull$%t.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I think it's generally accepted now at Caps games when folks chant "O" it's also followed by "Vie" as in O-Vie! for Ovechkin. It's audible in the upper deck that many folks add the "Vie" part afterward, just not as pronounced. I don't think too many Caps fans care about the Orioles.

not a fan of it myself, but thought I'd throw that out there for the folks that think there's a large Orioles crowd at Verizon Center.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | January 4, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I hate it, no matter where or when it happens. You have two-plus hours to do all the hoopin' and hollerin' you want. You can't be quiet for two minutes to reflect on those who gave their lives to make this country great? The National Anthem is not a pep song, folks. Stop using it to bring attention to yourselves and keep it to where it belongs -- on the flag!

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Nationalism is an illness

Posted by: somethingorother | January 4, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but what meeting did I miss where we were all told that we had to be completely humorless regarding all national symbols? The game is supposed to be fun. The anthem is part of it. Lie. Ten. Up.

Posted by: MaxWass | January 4, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I find the "Oh" disrespectful, as well.
And the singing of the Canadian anthem surprised me; the game wasn't in Canada.
And NHL-Live reported yesterday it was the highest rated regular season game since the 70's. -unbelievable!

Posted by: Hattrik | January 4, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Let's not lie to ourselves... there are still a huge amount of O's fans in D.C. Just last year the O's got a better tv rating in Washington for a few games then the Nationals did! It just seems to be to be a fact that the O's will always be more popular than the Nats in the DC/Baltimore region, like it or not.

Posted by: danielos38 | January 4, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"I think it's generally accepted now at Caps games when folks chant "O" it's also followed by "Vie" as in O-Vie! for Ovechkin."

So people are using the U.S. National Anthem as a cheer for a Russian who has made some cutting remarks in the past about half the population in this country. Simply stunning.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | January 4, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@Hattrik -- I'm guessing they played the Canadian anthem because it was a nationally broadcast game (in US and Canada). The Sabres play the Canadian anthem every game as well, regardless of whom they are playing, so it's not unprecedented.

For the record, I feel pretty much the same way as JP. I've never shouted "RED" at a Caps game before, but I felt obligated to do it at Pittsburgh on Saturday. As far as the "O!" goes, I'm a Baltimore native and Orioles fan, and have shouted it before at baseball games, but don't particularly think it belongs at Caps games. Keep the "RED!" if you like, but let's save the "O!" for the O's. Just my 2¢.

Posted by: PaintDrinkingPete | January 4, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaxWass | January 4, 2011 10:41 AM

Any other times you want to cheer for Baltimore during a Washington sports event? Or maybe honor Philadelphia, New York and Boston while you cheer for DC? Maybe start wearing purple camouflage to Redskins games?

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Keep the Red at Caps games and the O at Orioles games and lighten up.

I gotta say though, it really irks me what I see from some Baltimore and Washington fans. Grew up on Mont Co and a lifelong fan of both the O's and Caps. The Nats didn't exist when I grew up and I picked the O's but went with all the Washington teams and that's where I keep my loyalties. I'd never switch my allegiance from the Skins to Ravens any more than I'd ever switch from O's to Nats. Too often I see Caps fans disrespect people from the Baltimore area as not "true fans" and accuse them of jumping on the Caps bandwagon because they don't have there own team. I also see a lot of Oriole fans who look down their noses at DC area people who follow the O's. It irritates the crap out of me and I'm seeing a bunch of it on this thread. True fandom is defined by loyalty, not where you live.

Posted by: JS26121820 | January 4, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I too think blind nationalism is an illness. You don't want to do it, fine, but personally I love screaming "Red" and will continue to scream it at the top of my lungs. Im with Max - Lie. Ten. Up.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | January 4, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PensRule | January 4, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Like the manners of the Pens fan who shouted "Caps suck a$$" during the National Anthem? Or the manners of the Pens fans who flipped me off after the game? Or the manners of the Pens themselves who wouldn't shake hands after the game? Yeah. Time for a name change.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 4, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I've held out commenting on this inane subject long enough. Here's why I yell O during pretty much any national anthem at any sporting event I've ever been to. I was born in the 80's when there was no Baltimore football team and no Washington baseball team. So naturally I'm an Orioles and Redskins fan. Always have been, always will be. I can't bring myself to care about the Ravens or Nats, BUT I'm happy when they're successful. Being from Maryland, I identify with both B-more and DC. Heck, they're 35 minutes away from each other. I yell O for regional pride and not team allegiance. Yelling red on the other hand, I believe, is more of a bandwagon thing, so I abstain from that. ALL that being said (and if anyone is still reading this) regardless of your views on whether it desecrates our national anthem, my regional pride always soars when I hear O, and even red, when I'm watching a sporting event representing a local team playing outside of the DC metro area.

Posted by: hockeypunk | January 4, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

We are embarassing ourselves as Americans disrespecting the National Anthem screaming anything and it reminds me of how pissed I was during a Habs game when the Canadians shouted during OUR National Anthem.

We start to look like Philly fans when we do such ridiculous stuff. It is bush league.

Second, it is disrespectful to whoever is singing the National Anthem.

I would never expect Angelos to say anything about the :O: in Bal'more but I would think Leonsis should nip this in the bud as it just isn't right as Americans.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 4, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

DC guy, don't judge a few idiots as the whole bunch. There are idiots everywhere and Washington clearly boasts their share of idiots.

Pittsburgh is not Philadelphia just because they both are in Pennsylvania.

Posted by: PensRule | January 4, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that, Dan.

I've never gone in for the "O" and "RED" chants - I usually sing along to both anthems - but after reading this comment thread, I now know that it annoys Pens fans.

Pretty good argument for doing it at Pens games.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 4, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the singing of "O Canada," they've done that at all four Winter Classics. As has been noted, both anthems are always performed before all Buffalo Sabres home games because of the large contingent of Canadian fans who routinely attend games there (although they normally perform "O Canada" entirely in English). At the first Winter Classic, held in Buffalo, they continued that practice, and it stuck at the subsequent games. I'm guessing the official rationale is that the Winter Classic is an NHL-run event, not a team-run event, and so they sing both anthems as a symbol of all the teams. Works for me either way, as I love to sing "O Canada" more than I do our anthem. I got goosebumps last year during the playoffs when the Verizon Center crowd LOUDLY sang "O Canada" after the Frenchies booed our anthem up there.

I did note how the singer Saturday night sang just a single line in French ("Protegra nos foyers et nos droits," which is repeated twice as the final two lines of the French lyrics). It threw a lot of the crowd for a bit of a loop, as you can hear if you listen closely to the video because you'll note that the crowd's singing doesn't mesh with what the singer is singing. A more conventional way of performing it bilingually is to sing the beginning in English, switch to French, then switch back:

O Canada, our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.*
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

The singer on Saturday night replaced the one line denoted with the asterisk with the French line. Nice gesture, but a bit of an odd way to do it! (As an aside, no doubt the political-correctness crowd despise the standard bilingual practice noted above because it ensures that you get ALL the religious references--"la croix" and "God"--as well as the "sons" reference.)

Regarding "RED," I do not participate in it and did not on Saturday night, but it was something to hear how many folks were there. I hate the "O" far more than the "RED." "O" is a middle-finger gesture to the DC area and it's unfortunate that so many people are just lemmings who don't realize why it's offensive. I do rather wish that someone singing the National Anthem at a Caps game sometime would sing one of the other three verses (none of which contain "RED" or "O") and really throw the crowd for a loop.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 4, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I did neither on Saturday and cringed when both happened.

Though I did sell out the idiots on the "Oh!" by mentioning that it was a "Bhawlmuher thing."

Seriously, whether it is at the Phone Booth, FedEx Field, or Heinz Field, the crap isn't cool and needs to stop.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 4, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Though I did sell out the idiots on the 'Oh!' by mentioning that it was a 'Bhawlmuher thing.'"

The Pittsburgh fan in front of us was ticked and yelled, "You're not in Baltimore." (Actually, he added another word before "Baltimore," but the Post's blog software won't allow my comment through if I use that word.) I rather agreed with him. I think that was the only thing we agreed on. Most of the Pittsburgh fans seated around us were OK, but that guy and his son were both schmucks and sore losers. Guess every crowd has one.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 4, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I was happy to hear it over the tv, glad to hear so many Caps fans! I read that the players liked hearing it at the Winter Classic because it let them know their fans were up there with them.

I'm a Nat's fan and I still shout Oh! Its just a tradition.

Posted by: SarahMitt | January 4, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The "RED" is just plain disrespectful. Wear your Caps jersey if you want to show your pride and clap for your players.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 4, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@SarahMitt

Not at Nats games you don't. Nats fans killed that quickly by booing the idiots who think it is a "D.C. tradition."

Posted by: CapsNut | January 4, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29: My second comment, the one you replied to, was only directed at the nationalist opinions expressed above me. I said nothing about the actual chants, and in my first comment, said that I'm not a fan of the "Oh!" anyway for the same reason you're not. So next time, before you lay into someone, why don't you actually read what they're saying first. Saves later embarrassment.

@PensRule: Funny, I didn't know you were a hockey fandom historian. See, here I was giving the actual origin of the "Red" chant during the national anthem in the second comment in this thread, when all along I'd forgotten that the real reason is that all us Caps fans are idiots and bandwagoners. Of course, the Penguins don't have anyone like that at all. Silly me.

Posted by: MaxWass | January 4, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

the anthem is set to a British drinking song, so all the cries of disrespect are a little stoopid...yelling red? I'm ok with that. Yelling "O" is ok too....IN BALTIMORE. I hate it at caps games and wish I could stop it.

what did ov say about half the population?

Posted by: Alisterio | January 4, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Why, exactly, do they play the national anthem before sports games? Should they play the national anthem before you watch a movie at a movie theater? See a play?

Posted by: Aerowaz | January 4, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

what did ov say about half the population?

Posted by: Alisterio | January 4, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Nothing compares to the "O" chant at Maryland games

Posted by: mkbf26 | January 4, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

What did OV say about half the population? Go here for an answer:

Posted by: LionelMandrake | January 4, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

For those who say "lighten up," see below:

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aerowaz | January 4, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

To answer your question, After America’s entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into “The Star-Spangled Banner.” The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song. Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games. During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. “The Star-Spangled Banner” was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pregame singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports.

For more info: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/16023

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Nat's fan and I still shout Oh! Its just a tradition.

Posted by: SarahMitt | January 4, 2011 12:21 PM

A tradition that needs to be shoved up your a...

Posted by: Kev29 | January 4, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I was prepared for the "Red" and "O", having been to Caps games before, but I'm one of those who find it disrespectful. Too bad the fans can't sing the whole anthem that loudly.

Posted by: Macathe | January 4, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the fans can't sing the whole anthem that loudly.

Posted by: Macathe | January 4, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd settle for it being sung "respectfully."

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it again, Cornell hockey fans are probably the originators of the "Red" shout at Caps games.

And before anyone goes on a typical Ivy League anti-Americanism rant, it's not just Cornell. Clarkson University, another DI hockey school, also shouts a word during the national anthem. Here's a hint: Their nickname is the Knights.

Posted by: MaxWass | January 4, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

For those who say "lighten up," see below:

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

-------------

lighten up.

Posted by: M__N | January 4, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Count me as one more guy who never yelled "red" at Verizon, but damned if I didn't yell it as loud as I could in Pitt. I'm generally irritated and offended by the "O". I'm a Nat's fan. I grew up 20 minutes from RFK. I don't want any reference to Baltimore Baseball in my home parks, arenas and stadiums. But I will say that it felt different in Pittsburgh. I didn't scream "O" like I did "Red". But I was glad to hear it. I was equally glad to see the dismay from the Penguin fans sitting across the aisle from me.

Anyone know if "O" is yelled at Ravens games? If it is...we've got to abandon it. If not, I'm ready to say we've officially taken possession and own it.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | January 4, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts:

1) Not one mention of the reason the Canadian anthem is so prominently featured: IT'S CANADA'S GAME! It has nothing to do with how many Canadian fans are at the game, or whether the teams are HQ'd in Canadian cities. There must be no one here who remembers when about five NHL players - if that - WEREN'T Canadian.

2) The "O" thing, I must admit, has gotten old. But you know? I'm not into worshipping songs or hanks of cloth, either. They're not altering the words, are they?

3) But then, you know? It seems childish at best to use the common national anthem of both fan bases as an insult or a goad. You know?

4) But then, you know? Wasn't it cool to hear how many Caps fans were there?

5) It's a game, right? A song, right? A flag, right? That celebrate FREEDOM, including the freedom to make an a$$ of oneself, right? That's probably worth celebrating.

Right?

Posted by: poorskins | January 4, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"True fandom is defined by loyalty, not where you live.

Posted by: JS26121820 | January 4, 2011 11:32 AM"
-->I agree with this to an extent. I'm an Oriole fan and grew up/live in MoCo with no baseball team to root for and I never switched allegiences. But don't tell me Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers, and Celtics fans, among other teams are true fans if they have no connection to the city they root for and especially if they aren't consistent with their "sports geography." You can't exactly have a different favorite city in every sport and consider yourself a "fan" more like front-runner.

Posted by: break20 | January 4, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

That yell is not a slap in the face to the song, or to history, or to those serving their country, or to the uptight moron sitting a few rows behind you.

The tradition originated with Baltimore as ***all of the American history associated with that song you supposedly revere so much took place there***

If you want to continue getting pissy about an American tradition without most of you even knowing where it comes from, that's your right, but it isn't going to stop no matter what you think.

I've yelled the "O" in Camden Yards, and at the Cap Centre, and Cameron Indoor, Wrigley field, WHEREVER, and I will continue to do so whether ignorant, easily upsettable people like it or not, because I have the freedom to do so.

If you people truly love your country as much as you profess to, there are other, real ways to show it.

Now, if they had let that loser from Hinder (WHY were they there?) sing the anthem, THAT would've been disrespectful...

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 4, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

lighten up.

Posted by: M__N | January 4, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Grow up.

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Also, it was a really badass moment for us Caps fans and the Alzner quote was a beauty.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 4, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

lighten up.

Posted by: M__N | January 4, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Grow up. It's disrespectful.

Posted by: stwasm | January 4, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"I've yelled the 'O' in Camden Yards, and at the Cap Centre, and Cameron Indoor, Wrigley field, WHEREVER, and I will continue to do so whether ignorant, easily upsettable people like it or not, because I have the freedom to do so."

The freedom to do something carries with it the responsibility to know when NOT to do something. Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean that you "should." Saying "I do it because I can and if you disagree, up yours" is the height of ignorance.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 4, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The "O" tradition in the national anthem was started in Baltimore in the early 1980s. I was there, and it was cool. Of course, I was a teenager then, and many things that seemed cool to me then don't seem so cool to me now.

The fact that Caps fans continue this moronic gesture, in a different city, for a different team, almost three decades later just shows how far Caps fans need to go. And sorry to wave my cane here, but I have been going to Caps games for 35 years, and while things are definitely better now, we still have a way to go before the level of fan knowledge or appreciation matches Detroit, Boston, MSP, Toronto or Montreal.

Remember, this is the same city that used to yell "whoop, whoop, whoop" whenever Larry Murphy played the puck. Caps fans can now admire his name on the Stanley Cup and in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Posted by: ElGordo9 | January 4, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodness. I grew up in a political/military family and am very patriotic. If I want to yell red, I can. It's not disrespectful - it shows passion for something I love, including one of my country's own colors. I don't normally yell it at games but you bet your a$$ I yelled it loudly in Pitt in a section where Caps fans were outnumbered about 25:1.

I don't shout O but I like O for Ovi. And p.s., for the most part, American women are fat and overweight. It's a fact and so what if he says he doesn't like it.

To whomever brought up the Montreal issue from last year, they didn't talk during our anthem, they booed it. Completely different. TOTALLY different.

Game was awesome. I love Alzner's quote, too. "...we were..." Great organization and guys.

Posted by: HM328 | January 4, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Well "hoo," I agree, and so I'm headed to the nation's capital right now to yell it at tonight's hockey game. And with a little extra passion, after the experience of doing it at the Classic (and even moreso after reading a bunch of inane commentary).

The paper-thin arguments of various bitter minorities couldn't possibly trump my reasons for taking pride in this tradition, and so I don't have any doubts about whether I "should" do what I do.

I love this country, and you can continue to complain about how the yell doesn't align with your personal standard of reverence, but it aligns perfectly with mine, and it would be a far worse thing for me to wilt now over a little bellyaching or some peoples' bogus jockeying to come off more patriotic than those they disagree with.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 4, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"SarahMitt, if you know what Angelos did to block the A's and other franchises to relocate here to DC, the O is disrespectful and I am a former O's season ticket holder so it is offensive to all of us who suffered under the Angelos regime and blockade and had no other options."
-->Peter Angelos is the FIRST owner to try to block another team from invading his terrority. Yes, his territory, DC was considered prior to the Nats, the Orioles market and they had exclusive tv rights to the area.

But you seem to forget since you know A's history so well, the Giants have blocked them from re-locating many times including San Jose.

Posted by: break20 | January 4, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Why just shout the O and the Red and not sing along to the whole song? This is so awesome:

Posted by: dsyntax | January 4, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh is not Philadelphia just because they both are in Pennsylvania.

Posted by: PensRule | January 4, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Washington does indeed have its share of idiots. Mostly because alot of people from Pittsburgh have moved here.

Posted by: AlexVa1 | January 5, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

In the Pittsburgh they said the "Oh" was for Ovechkin.

Posted by: casser | January 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

THERE IS NO TRADITION AS FAR AS I KNOW TO DISRESPECT OUR FLAG AND ALL WHO YELL "O" AND RED ARE DOING JUST THAT.ALL WHO DO THIS ARE PUNKS AND JERKS. TO MANY MEN HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED FOR OUR COUNTRY TO DISRESPECT OUR ANTHEM.

TED LEONSIS SHOULD PUT A STOP TO OH! AND RED.SHOWING DISRESPECT TO OUR ANTHEM IS NOT A TRADITION ITS AN ABOMINATION.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | January 9, 2011 4:34 AM | Report abuse