Posted at 11:34 AM ET, 01/19/2011

The Wizards should buy Wizards.com

By Dan Steinberg

You know what I'm sick of? I'm sick of going to Wizards.com and being sent to the Web site for Wizards of the Coast, the world leader in hobby games. I'm sick of being told that "the story of Wizards is one of independence, inspiration, and opportunity," only to realize that they're not talking about Gar Heard; they're talking about Call of Cthulhu. I'm sick of being able to guess the URL for virtually every NBA team besides the one that plays in Washington.

By my quick count, 25 of the NBA's 30 teams give you access to their Web site if you type in TEAMNICKNAME.com. The ones that don't? The Thunder, the Jazz, the Nets, the Magic and the Wizards.

I guess Wizards of the Coast are minting money, and maybe they'd never sell Wizards.com to something as piddling as an NBA franchise. But dangit, I wish they would. Because I'm really sick of seeing dragons.

By Dan Steinberg  | January 19, 2011; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Clark on Redskins vs. Steelers
Next: Flyers announcer calls Caps effort "pathetic"

Comments

Dan, what's worse than this. Wanting to buy sporting goods from Dick's Sporting Goods and just typing in dicks.com ... yeah, not good.

Posted by: flee001 | January 19, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The 'zards should trade Yi and Blatche for that dragon. Or at least the guy with the sword. They need a stronger inside presence to attack the basket.

Posted by: DKSW | January 19, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Never happen. Wizards of the Coast actually wins road games, after all.

Posted by: Argonzo | January 19, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The only time I've ever fallen asleep while attending a pro sports game was during a Wizards game. Also, it was against Cleveland and La Bron, too. Basketball is some boring stuff.

Posted by: thornwalker1 | January 19, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

You could just remember to add "nba.com" to end, wizards.nba.com

Or do you also always type in capitals.com expecting the Caps' website?

Posted by: koalatek | January 19, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually Dan, Wizards of the Coast IS printing money. Ever heard of Dungeons & Dragons or Magic the Gathering? Guess who sells everything related to both? They also apparently now make Axis and Allies games too. I don't see a bunch of rich super nerds selling their precious website to a bunch of sweaty jocks. It's against their code.

Posted by: futbolclif | January 19, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I see what Dan did there. Oh, SURE, you don't know anything about d20s.

It's a shame that bullets.com doesn't work either...

"Since our inception in 1983, Grizzly Industrial®, Inc. [sic] has grown into one of the largest machinery companies in the United States. Our products can be found in all sizes of shops from the large industrial production users to the smaller cabinet and machine shops."

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 19, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

leonsis would only be interested in buying the domain if it counts as a road win

Posted by: Witter | January 19, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

That picture needs an image of a seadog.

Also Dan - I'm shocked that you never partook of some M:TG.

Posted by: M__N | January 19, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this team can focus on WINNING and not WEBSITES. I thought Leonsis would change the culture, but apparently that's too much to ask.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | January 19, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, I just got a brilliant idea!

The Wizards just need to finish near the bottom of the league (again) and hope to land a No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick (again). Next year the NBA will have a lockout so everyone should have an equal chance to win the draft lottery. Imagine if we won the No. 1 overall pick again (especially if Stern can pull some strings in our favor)! In 3-4 years, the Wizards, with a developed John Wall and two addition TBD no. 1 or no. 2 overall picks, should be competing for an NBA Title year after year.

Posted by: MillBurray | January 19, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I went to this site two days ago and emailed my buddies the exact same thing. Cant believe they dont own wizards.com

/storytime
//buttrue

Posted by: jpfterps | January 19, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Agt. Steinz, here's what you need to know: Stockpile your dual lands, and never waste your money trying to make a five-color deck work efficiently.
Knowledge for Life, my friend.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | January 19, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I know how you feel. When I tell people I live in Washington, they assume DC. I have to waste another few seconds explaining "No, no no, Washington State." Geeze, the time these people cause me to waste a few seconds of my life is precious. When you have to to type in "WashingtonWizards.com" instead of "Wizards.com" it gets cumbersome. You know how many seconds that wastes in a lifetime? It may be 10, 20 minutes tops! That could be used for something else more important.

At least still you have an NBA team worth complaining about. You wana trade the url for the team?

/Still bitter about Clay Bennett
//First World Problems

Posted by: mtgcolorpie | January 19, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

why? They will change the name eventually. Might not be Bullets. How about WashingtonSenators.com?

Posted by: Eckertae | January 19, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

You know what I'm sick of? I'm sick of going to post.com and being sent to the Web site for post.com postal information. I'm sick of being told that "the story of the post is one of shipping rates, postage stamps, and office hours," only to realize that they're not talking about Dan Steinberg; they're talking about the USPS. I'm sick of being able to guess the URL for virtually every newspaper besides the one that publishes in Washington.

Posted by: bryan_mcdonald | January 19, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't live in Washington.

But first off: typing in washingtonwizards.com is SO INCONVENIENT.

so inconvenient in fact that if i ever had to do it more than once (which i never would considering how horribly the wizards play) I WOULD BOOKMARK IT.

you would think that someone who runs an internet blog would know how to bookmark something like a website. but i guess not. considering that blogs are the fastest falling sector of the internet in terms of views. you would think bloggers would simply stop. 77% of internet users have read a blog before but less than 30% actually follow them.

i didn't even find this one myself. i was linked here by a friend. (simply proving that your readers are few)

anyway, "that guy with the sword" has probably won more games than the washington wizards has in the history of their franchise.

and the dragon is just plain BA and could probably dunk over anybody.

i expected some sort of more logical argument for changing the name of the website. try dicks sporting goods or even whitehouse.com (oh drat, i was hoping for it to be an obama blog)

finally, though wizards of the coast may not currently have a net worth greater than the washington wizards, i wouldn't be surprised if they passed them pretty soon. as the makers of hugely popular games, they don't rely on the sponsorship of millionaires and are also doing better than a 7-27 record. just saying.

also, dan, when you condemned wizards.com, the very last shred of your childhood died.

Posted by: hawkbydaywolfbynight | January 19, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Learn to use the favorites feature of your browser, it is not hard. Well it might be for you but not for the rest of us.

Posted by: Ben441 | January 20, 2011 1:23 AM | Report abuse

It's not just a bunch of D&D geeks controlling Wizards.com: Wizards of the Coast is a subsidiary of Hasbro, makers of GI Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony. You don't think the Wizards are strong enough to take on My Little Pony, do you?

Posted by: mikeinrockville | January 20, 2011 6:34 AM | Report abuse

M E H

Posted by: ubetonit | January 20, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

i bought pokemon cards from that site 11 years ago

Posted by: jefferu | January 20, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

They are hopefully changing the name. You want to know why this team sucks so bad, it's because of their name! Wizards??? Really? That's got to be the worst name in pro sports! I prefer to call them the Buzzards!

Posted by: Toochilled | January 20, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

What they really need to do is change the name of the team; and then we can all be happy!

Posted by: mgilham | January 20, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mgilham | January 20, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Capitals.com, United.com and Mystics.com don't lead to sports team sites either. Not every team can be as fortunate as the Nationals and Redskins.

Posted by: evwill | January 20, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Agent Stienz...SUperfan RAY here. Not to worry, our NBA Wizards are bound to have a new name in the near future. My money is on Washington MONUMENTS, sinces that's a knock-off from Monumental Sports and Entertainment. The red, white and blue will unfurl! And you'll be free of the land of dragonz.

Of course, it looks like acquiring the following website might be more problematic, as business looks brisk:
www.monuments.com. But at least there is no geeky fire-breathing involved.

Posted by: rblav40 | January 20, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

yeah, you need to shut up about this. cuz you're wrong and stuff.

Posted by: rev_ollie | January 20, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Knowledge for Life, my friend.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | January 19, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

--------------

The current Wizards deck is too Wall-heavy to do much damage.

At least they haven't tried to pick up too many mana-heavy Legends to suppliment the deck.

Posted by: M__N | January 20, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

A better solution would be to CHANGE THE TEAM'S NAME.

Posted by: drischord | January 20, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

You just drove up the asking price for the domain.

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 20, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg...please...you're killing me...I know it is a blog, but please add some value...some insight into the Wizards. Maybe if you want to go after the domain you could at least go for an owner quote or something. Again, I know it is a blog, but if it has the WashPost logo over it...seems like the paper to me. Please bring it on a higher level. Shouldn't be too hard. Get some interns on the project.

Posted by: sjd237 | January 20, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse