Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 01/21/2011

Why does Koons love the Eagles? (UPDATED)

By Dan Steinberg

Reader J. sends along this video from Koons Automotive Companies, a Maryland, Virginia and Delaware dealership that has long advertised on local sports broadcasts. If you'll note, Krystal Koons is enthusiastically addressing a youth football team called the Eagles, wearing what would seem to be knockoffs of the Philadelphia Eagles' helmets.

"What's the deal here?" J. asks. "Are the Koons Ford people Eagles fans? Couldn't they have found a helmet with a different logo (or no logo at all) for their ad airing in D.C. media markets?...In any event, as a bitter Redskins fan, I can say that I will not buy cars or trucks from Koons Ford after this display. What do you think? Am I taking it too far?"

Honestly, J., yes, you're probably taking it too far. But I sure appreciate the passion, and the opportunity to discover that it's actually Krystal Koons and not Crystal Koons. Anxiously awaiting the e-mail from her defending the helmet logo choice.

And before you ask, yes, it's a slow news day. What of it?

UPDATE: Via Koons marketing director Amy Ruby, we learn the following:

* The youth team shown above was part of Vienna Youth Incorporated, a league in which a Koons employee has coached for five years. His actual team was used in filming the spot. This team won the league title in 2009, the year the commercial was first aired.

* The league lets the kids choose their franchise, and the Redskins are always the first team selected. As Amy notes, it wouldn't really be practical for every team in the league to be the Redskins.

* Jim Koons is a Redskins season ticket holder and a longtime supporter of the Darrell Green Youth Foundation. Many other Koons employee -- including, yes, Krystal -- are also Redskins fans.

* Finally, Amy notes that if my reader finds himself unable to shop at Koons Ford because of the Eagles connotations, he could always choose Koons Toyota/Scion, Koons Nissan, Koons Kia, Koons Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram, and/or Koons Chevy Buick GMC.

Well done, Amy.

By Dan Steinberg  | January 21, 2011; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards broadcast mentions vast virus database
Next: George Mason-James Madison: The whole world will be watching

Comments

Those kids will never amount to anything

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 21, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

i wish they would stop running that annoying ad using that aggravating phone app that repeats what she says in a high-pitched voice. i want to throw something at my tv every time i hear it.

Posted by: m114b | January 21, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Who doesn't like the eagles. Michael Vick is a talented Quarter Back and is probably one of the most athletic in my opinion.

Posted by: alecdifrawi | January 21, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecdifrawi | January 21, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The title of this thread is so wrong.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 21, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

My friend and I always text back and forth during the games to discuss the game and the horrible commercials. He wants the heads of the Ameritel triplets on a platter, but I convinced him last night to spare their life and instead kill 3 different people: the server and bartender in the Green Turtle commercial and one Eagle-loving Krystal Koons.

Posted by: sordidvox | January 21, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'll watch the triplets for hours if you promise I never have to sit through another Hadeed Carpet commercial. Why doesn't he blink? Is it part of the joke or does he always look like that? I don't get it.

It actually seems unlikely that the Koons' are Eagles fans. They have been here forever, my sister went to pre-school with Krystal. She doesn't fit the "I couldn't find a job in Philly after I dropped out of high school" model.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 21, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes, J, you are definitely taking it overboard. If they had the lowest price of several dealerships, you'd go there.

If you actually had real principles, what team someone rooted for wouldn't matter.

If they used their profits to kill babies or something, then I'd boycott right along with you. But to do that over a football team just makes you look like an idiot.

Posted by: moo21 | January 21, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moo21 | January 21, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Will never purchase a vehicle from Koons solely because of the ads. They make me feel like road rage in my own house.

Posted by: burke2010 | January 21, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think J. is totally justified. I would never buy from an Eagles-lover, just like I will never eat Buffalo wings at Wing Stop becuase of their stupid commercials with Troy Aikman.

Posted by: soffrin | January 21, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Very proud that Marketing came through with a thorough, clear and humorous response. well done Amy, indeed.

Posted by: dcborn61 | January 21, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I went to Loyola College with Krystal and have a picture of her topless from a bikini contest in Negril, Jamaica from a wet t-shirt contest. That's gotta be worth at least a 2011 Mustang right??

Posted by: HogsHaven | January 21, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

as someone who cringes in bob&edith's (cowboys fans), i understand where J is coming from, but amy's explanation make perfect sense - and good for them for using an actual local team in the spot! my brother was on a little league "indians" team back in the day, so the whole family could easily have been mistaken for cleveland fans on saturday mornings. thanks for getting to the bottom of this!

Posted by: rubyx4soho | January 21, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rubyx4soho | January 21, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Mine is the one in the middle in the back. He played center on that team. You should have seen the Championship game. They were down to a very fast and undefeated Chantilly team 14-0 and then started pounding the ball up the middle 5 yards a crack. They kept the ball the entire third quarter, then got a gift when the kickoff bounced off the helmet of the opposing player. Won the game 26-14. Best game I ever saw. I have the vid if you want to watch it over and over and over again.

But yes, Vienna Youth Inc. usually fields five teams at this level and one is always the Redskins. Not every team can have the same name and not every coach works for Koons.

Big Daddy

Posted by: favjr | January 21, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Big Daddy

Posted by: favjr | January 21, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Big Daddy

Posted by: favjr | January 21, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, how can they turn their back on DC sports when Skins fans make up 99% of their customer base? I'm done with Koons.

Posted by: jiji1 | January 23, 2011 7:12 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles? Really, you're more offended by the name of the team as opposed to the dealership's name?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | January 24, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse