Posted at 1:09 PM ET, 01/ 4/2011

Why the Caps fist pump to DJ Pauly D

By Dan Steinberg

As soon as HBO concluded episode 2 of its 24/7 series with DJ Pauly D Beating Dat Beat, it was obvious that the song would become the fans' anthem. And indeed.

"Beat that beat up washington," John Carlson wrote on Twitter not long after the Winter Classic ended, and Washington did. One Caps fan apparently requested the song from a Pittsburgh DJ on Saturday night. "Get that DJ Pauly D ready!!" another said on Twitter. "Pauly D and fist-pump dance time?" asked yet another. A fourth anointed Beat Dat Beat the song of the day on his Tumblr page on Sunday. Several Washington Post sports writers represented Sunday night on Capitol Hill.

Caps fans have shared stories of buying the song on iTunes or humming it on game days. And when Elliot in the Morning interviewed Mike Knuble this week, he was introduced to the strains of DJ Pauly D. "You had me fist-pumping there, with that music," Knuble said.

And yet, the unanswered question lingered: whose idea was it to link a Jersey Shore sensation with Washington's hockey team? This demanded a Sports Bog investigation.

My immediate thought was that it had to be someone with a European taste in dance music and enough dressing-room standing to rule the iPod selection. That meant Alex Ovechkin or Nicklas Backstrom. Alternatively, it could have been a wry veteran with a strong taste for irony. In other words, Matt Bradley.

Here's the part of the story I was missing, though. There's one member of the team who's young, in touch with pop culture and with two seasons playing for the New Jersey Rockets of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League on his resume. That player's name is John Carlson.

"It kind of started when Jersey Shore came out," Carlson told me Saturday night, after he had finished his last interview about the actual hockey game. "Everyone was kind of making fun of me, but I stayed strong. I love New Jersey, and I'll rep it all the time. Then everyone started actually watching it, and I think it just kind of spiraled from there."

Karl Alzner remembered Carlson playing Beat Dat Beat for him on the way to the airport earlier this season. Alzner, who's nobody's dummy, recognized the potential right away.

"Obviously it's not the best lyrics, because he's just talking for most of it," Carlson's defensive partner told me. "But the beat is good, the chorus is fun, and that's what I really look for in a song."

(If you listen to the entire song, which I've now done in the interest professional propriety, you'll realize that Alzner is, in fact, correct about the talking thing. Sample spoken word lyric: "This is DJ Pauly D. Being a Guido's a way of life. I don't represent all Italians. I represent myself." Or this. "Yo, how come every time I'm DJ'ing, there'll be a hot-ass girl, but she got an ugly-ass friend. C'mon man, I ain't got no time for that." And so on. Can't really sing along to that.)

Now, Carlson is not the official postgame DJ -- he said that honor is performed by a more senior player, typically Backstrom or Brooks Laich. But after initially playing the tune off Carlson's iPod, one of the vets scored it for himself and it became the victory anthem, or what Carlson refers to as the team's "feel-good song."

"Every team does it, I think, they have a feel-good song after a win," he said. "After every win, they throw it on."

"We didn't have to convince anyone," Alzner added. "Because one of the older guys wanted it. And when one of the older guys want it, you can usually make it happen."

So, the fist-pumping? Was that done for dramatic effect with the HBO cameras looming? To the contrary. That's actually part of the routine.

"Well, I think no one really wants to fist pump on TV," Alzner said, referencing some of the bashful looks above. "I don't care. It doesn't really matter to me."

And finally, after one of the biggest January wins in franchise history, in front of a massive national audience, against a bitter rival, did the Caps actually Beat Dat Beat on Saturday night? Well, sort of. There were so many post-game interviews on the ice, and such a massive post-game media horde in the dressing room, that the team's normal private time was cut short. So they indeed played the song, but in abbreviated fashion.

"It wasn't loud enough, though," Alzner said, gesturing to the tiny speaker in the Heinz Field dressing room. "The sound doesn't carry well. That's just a little guy; you need the big speakers. I came over here to turn it up and it wouldn't go up any louder, and then I kind of lost the buzz."

So what's next? Well, DJ Pauly D already knows what's up.

"Washington Capitals fist pumping to DJPaulyD in the dressing room This Is Great!!!!" he wrote on his own Twitter feed, which has 580,000 or so followers.

"I'm trying to get someone to get him down to a game," Carlson said. "I doubt he's a hockey fan, but maybe it'll help his reputation."

Anyone in a position to make this happen?

By Dan Steinberg  | January 4, 2011; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The National Anthem at the Winter Classic
Next: Football Insider Live: What will the Redskins look like in 2011?

Comments

Anyone in a position to make this happen?

IDEA FAIL!!! DONT DO IT!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | January 4, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oy... What about the Caps' reputation?

Posted by: Langway4Eva | January 4, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 4, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure you can get anyone from Jersey Shore to make an appearance for $10K. This is the world we live in.

Posted by: JillC | January 4, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of stuff that makes Dan Steinberg the best in the sports bog business.

Posted by: rademaar | January 4, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Pete Kalamoutsos books Pauly D at Fur and is friends with all the Russian players. Pauly is playing at Fur on Jan 29th. Pauly is about 50K

Posted by: DCTT | January 4, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

My fiance loves Jersey Shore and I cannot STAND it. But, I am okay with this. I agree with the above poster that this should be what they play at VC but ONLY when we win. 19,000 fans fist-pumping in unison. Good stuff.

And, great bog Dan.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | January 4, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 4, 2011 1:39 PM

HAHAHA YES!!!!!!

Posted by: rubyx4soho | January 4, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice legwork, Dan. That was one of the greatest episode endings in television history, and I've rewatched it wayyy too many times to count since it aired, because the happiness in that room was effing palpable

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 4, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Another vote for making this the Caps' new goal song.

We were fist pumping to this song with other Caps fans in one of the parking lots by Heniz after the game. It was great.

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | January 4, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 4, 2011 1:39 PM

co-sign

Posted by: champ82 | January 4, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I was fist pumping with some other Caps fans on our way out of Heinz Field on Saturday night.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 4, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I vote yes to playing this after a home win. 18k fists pumping would make me laugh.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 4, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I downloaded the song on my iPhone Saturday and was fist pumping all night after the game in Pittsburgh. I couldn't figure out why my elbow was sore on the ride home Sunday. Not until I was telling someone how we were all fist pumping all the way out of the stadium and all night in the bars did I remember about the fist pumping. BEAT DAT BEAT UP!!! Let's go CAPS!!!

Posted by: busterpatt | January 4, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

...like a piƱata!

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | January 4, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah, beat that beat up! That 24/7 footage was priceless. I second that we need to get Pauly D here for a game, and that it should be the new goal song.

Posted by: thebastille | January 5, 2011 4:45 AM | Report abuse

WTH. I'm fine with the song and all and found most of this article to be hilarious!

However, the Caps will never win a Stanley Cup as long as the Nicklas Backstrom/Brooks Laich tandem is controlling the post-game iPod selections. Backstrom is my favorite Caps player by FAR, but I have seen him dance and there is a reason he refused for HBO. On top of that, he's SWEDISH, for crying out loud--which means he knows absolutely nothing about music! Brooks Laich is a machine, as a player and a person, and his only charge should be saving the world with his steely gaze and crashing the net. That these two are put in charge of rhythmic stylings post-game is something I consider both reprehensible and unacceptable for a supposed championship team. No Cup for you, Capitals. There, I said it.

Posted by: justemmaroo | January 5, 2011 7:44 AM | Report abuse

This should be the Caps new GOAL song, followed by every fan fist pumping in unison._______________________________________________

That would be AWESOME! You just made me laugh!

Posted by: Babeeornge | January 5, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

DJ Pauly D will be in Baltimore for the Polar Bear Plunge, (because he and Joe Flacco are both from Jersey) Jan. 29th, so it seems like around then would be good....

Posted by: zabbrotzman | January 5, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse