Posted at 11:46 AM ET, 01/21/2011

Wizards broadcast mentions vast virus database

By Dan Steinberg

I'm pretty sure I was trying to watch the Bucks-Wizards game on Wednesday, but somehow I missed the part where the CSN audio went nutty and a woman's voice came on talking about a "vast virus database."

At least, that's what reader @adinger claimed happened. And since his profile picture features Al Iafrate's skullet, who am I to doubt his honesty? Did anyone else hear this? Was anyone actually watching this game?

By Dan Steinberg  | January 21, 2011; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps celebrate a win
Next: Why does Koons love the Eagles? (UPDATED)

Comments

I heard it. Being a techie, I took it to be a reference to Avast (a freeware anti-virus company).

Posted by: joebleux | January 21, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I have watched maybe 5 minutes of the Wizards on TV. In the middle of that 5 minutes was the point where some computer using Avast told me that the "Avast virus database" had been updated or needed updating before some one hit mute on the PC or mic.

Posted by: kolbkl | January 21, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I heard it too.

Posted by: tundey | January 21, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I heard it. It was definitely for an Avast virus database update. My computer has the same audible pop-up message a few times per week.

Posted by: jwb9 | January 21, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Lucky for Dan she didn't suggest UNIX.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 21, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Lucky for Dan she didn't suggest UNIX.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 21, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

So that's been the Wizards' problem all year - a virus!

Posted by: BeeBop4 | January 21, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Heard 3 times this year. It was the voice of the Avast Soft protection. It does that after you run a virus scan.

Posted by: sire1 | January 21, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

nothing more annoying than hearing "Windows sounds" (chime, ding, bong, etc) loudly in the background during radio shows. haven't really heard them during TV yet...chalk it up to The Curse O' Les Boulez!

Posted by: wu-wei1976 | January 21, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I totally heard this. My girlfriend has "Avast" virus security on her computer and it makes the exact same sound every time she opens her computer. This is the second time it happened this season. The first time when I told her about it (I thought she had opened her computer only to see it was still closed) she said I was nuts. The second time I heard it I tweeted about it and others heard it to.

Glad to know I'm not crazy. But yes this has happened several times this season, and yes, its "Avast Virus Security"

Posted by: WillYoder | January 21, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

My guess is the announcers were bored and started to surf the internet for more interesting fare will still on the air. Probably checking out that Youtube video of the texting woman walking into the mall water fountain.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | January 21, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse