Posted at 9:53 AM ET, 02/16/2011

Carlos Rogers says Skins are "nowhere close" to Super Bowl teams

By Dan Steinberg

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

There are two ways to look at the past Redskins season. Or, at least two ways. Maybe more, if you have access to 3D glasses and/or large amounts of alcohol.

But the two ways I'm thinking of go like this: 11 of the Redskins' 10 losses came by less than a point, plus they beat the Super Bowl champions. That's the good way. On the other hand, they had 10 losses.

Dan Snyder subscribes to the first theory, saying his team was "competitive as can be this year" in a recent interview. Mike Shanahan has at least hinted at that theory as well, saying "on the positive side, there were six games in there that we had a chance." Carlos Rogers, though, seems to like the former theory.

"We've got to get players in here," Rogers told Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier on 106.7 The Fan Tuesday night. "I think we've got the right coaches. I wouldn't put it on the coaches, because we don't got players right now to fit, especially on defense, the 3-4 scheme. You're looking at teams that are very successful, as in the two Super Bowl teams, you're looking at their player personnel, we're nowhere close to them. And I can't speak from the offensive point of view. I know they want to make changes, bring in some more players, receivers. I don't know what's gonna happen over there. But from the outside, we've got to get more players to give our whole coaching staff a chance."

As to whether he'll be one of those players giving the coaching staff a chance, Rogers was eminently non-committal.

"A lot of things been going through my head, man," he said. "I can only control everything that's in my hands, besides the franchise tag. I'd rather stick around here and play. I wouldn't want to go nowhere. I'd rather start my career here and then finish it here, but right now it's about numbers and getting what you think you're worth.

"From [the team's] standpoint of view, they always want to lower what they think you're worth, and agents want to get the best for their clients, so you've just got to meet in the middle about the whole situation. I'd rather stay here than move and go somewhere else, but at the end of the day, I think if I'm here, it'll be something good for this team, one less person they've got to worry about. If not, I'll just go on and help the next team...."

"Everybody looks at their second contract. That's the big one. A rookie contract is nothing compared to your second one. That's what I'm worried about. That's what I want to do. And I don't want to go to another team because they offered me maybe a million dollars more and I'm playing for some team that I [don't] want to besides the Redskins. I'm gonna balance all things out, dealing with the defense, offense, coaches, where I think I fit better for a team and also the money."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 16, 2011; 9:53 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two Redskins fans and their FedEx Field sign
Next: Seth Greenberg's Lefty Driesell impersonation

Comments

Basically he wants to get paid like Dunta Robinson did last year in Atlanta.

Robinson signed a six-year, $57 million contract. The deal contains $25.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus. Robinson will also receive $5 million in option bonuses. 2011: $5.5 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2012: $6 million, 2013: $7 million, 2014: $9 million, 2015: $9.5 million, 2016: Free Agent

Rogers isnt getting that kind of scratch.

Hell even if the Redskins gave him the big check, he might drop it before he got to the bank.

Note to Carlos, work on catching the ball not running your mouth. Everyone knows that we were/are not suited for the 3-4. That's why I was so shocked to see people surprised we were losing. It's going to take time to get the right guys in here.

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 16, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Dan Snyder subscribes to the first theory, saying his team was "competitive as can be this year" in a recent interview.

That's almost as bad a PR move as suing over that article in the newspaper I don't even remember the name of anymore.

THE REDSKINS STINK! FINALLY ADMIT IT AND TRULY REBUILD INTO A REAL TEAM!

You would think, after the Super Bowl featured two teams who faced a myriad of injuries but still survived because of good FOOTBALL COACHING, QUALITY TEAM DEPTH that maybe Danny would get the hint.

I guess not. And we are all bound to this torture.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | February 16, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Danny's job is to support the team, in the public he should stay positive. Imagine the uproar if he "undermined Shannahan" by calling out his players.

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 16, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Carlos says, "A lot of things been going through my head, man," he said. "I can only control everything that's in my hands..."

Which isn't much, as shown through his inability to control interceptions in his hands.

Posted by: mastakush2k | February 16, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

BrokenClipboard, Danny isnt making the moves. He brought in a super bowl winning coach and a real GM to run the team. Are you suggesting he dump those guys?

I can't imagine what people would say if he fired his coach and gm after one year.

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 16, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't want a competitive team. I want a dominant one. They have been more or less 'competitve' for the last few years. All that gets them is a bunch of close losses.

Posted by: zyvo23 | February 16, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Hondo5 - it's not the moves of the current GM, coach - it is the marketing perception BS that this team is close. It is not close at all.

The Redskins need to admit the truth, that the last 10 years have robbed the team of any direction and team depth, say that we are going to take our lumps for a few years(similar to what the Wizards are finally doing) and build a team that consistently makes the playoffs without having to sneak in by winning 5 in a row and contend for a championship.

I want a real, professionally run organization. And the Redskins need time to get there. But the marketing by the owner, etc won't allow that truth to actually come out. That is my issue.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | February 16, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It's the forbidden truth around Redskins park for most of the past 10 years, but I'm glad Carlos stated it publically.

I still hope, if football minds truly are running the show, that the team will set moderate expectations for next year and truly focus on rebuilding with a young core. Obtaining that core invovles hoarding draft picks and not continuing to make the Albert Haynesworths of the world multi-millionaires

Posted by: jbanks979 | February 16, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Man that’s deep. I appreciate carlos's honesty.
Now myself being someone that believes that one good turn deserves another. I have got some advice for you.
Quit being a moron. Stop spending money and picking up foreclosures. Maybe try sucking it up and playing through one of your partial injuries. Guys like Carlos are sad. All the talent in the world but no heart. If carlos and fat al had half the heart of london or flip daniels, they'd be all pro again.
They shouldn’t even give this fraud air time. Paulsen scrapes the barrel every time. He really sucks.

Posted by: wynnebs | February 16, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Carlos Rogers. We need a NT, RDE, RILB, LOLB, and a FS. That's just the starters. We also need better backups at almost every position. We need to get a ton of guys in here. We can't do it with the draft alone. We are going to have to sign some free agents. we are going to have to bring in a lot of undrafted free agents too.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 16, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

L-O-L at Rogers even thinking about the franchise tag. GET REAL DUDE. Congrats on learning about double moves in your 6th year.

Posted by: paperwc | February 16, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to figure out how "11 of the Redskins' 10 losses came by less than a point"

That is some crazy math, Mr. Steinberg.

Posted by: MrDumberton | February 16, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers said it all himself by stating "I can only control everything that's in my hands."

If Bruce Allen throws a big contract at him, he'll probably drop it.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 16, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The fact is that anyone who knows football saw that the Skins were going to struggle on D by installing a 3-4 with the 4-3 players they have.
Season 1 is over, now is the time for Allen to make some moves and bring in some players that will fit Shanny's system.
This is not a one or two year project!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | February 16, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@MrDumberton: I thinking the same thing. I had to read it a couple times. "11 of the Redskins' 10 losses came by less than a point". Did I take the crazy pill? Steinberg, I'm assuming you mean by less than a TD but I'm too lazy to do the research to confirm.

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | February 16, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"11 of the Redskins' 10 losses came by less than a point"....um...isn't that impossible??

Posted by: michaelklopman | February 16, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

BrokenClipboard

The Redskins don't need to rip the whole thing down to build a real, professionally run organization.

This is the NFL, where parity rules. Playoff teams turnover over 50% from year to year. Teams win the super bowl one year and don't make the playoffs the next, which simply doesn’t happen in any other sport.

I don't know about you, but when Danny hired Allen and Shannahan and removed himself from football decisions, I took that as a sign that he knew things needed to change. Truly a much bigger self-indictment than anything he could have ever said. As they say, talk is cheap no?

I'm not sure why you need the owner to tell you the team isn’t that great (yet), do you not watch the games? The guy didn’t promise anything. He didn’t say we were going to make the playoffs or the super bowl. Actually, I would like you to post any quote from Dan Snyder regarding the talent on the team. After the season was over, he said the team was in good hands (not his) and he was encouraged that we were competitive. In fact is the team was competitive, but just being competitive doesn’t cut it which is why he said he was happy in the direction the team was going. You can deduce that he wouldn’t be happy with the team as it is now cant you? So what’s the big deal?

The problem is that people always have expectations that exceed our talent and 2010 was no exception. 2010 in fact was worse than usual because we had a potential hof QB who played like garbage. Interesting enough, we seem likely to draft a QB (getting younger) and he will likely play quickly (take our lumps) just as you want. So again, what’s the big deal?

I did not think the Redskins were a playoff team this year (and the owner didn't even have to tell me, imagine that!), so it did not shock me when they went 6-10.

So far as I can see Shannahan has done a pretty good job of getting younger and trying to build some depth. The Mcnabb trade was a terrible move and unfortunately it covers up some really good moves. Give these new guys some time and stop worrying about what the owner doesn’t say.

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 16, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Cheese-Boy:

Where ARE you hiding the Jack Anderson Op-Eds on this internet geegaw?!? I've been "surfing" your quaint alternative rag for over an hour and have found nothing but George F. Will's tortured baseball metaphors and leftist Sturm und Drang concerning Sarah Palin's Kevlar panty shields.

Forward me to your ombudsman, post-haste!

Warmest Regards,

GGordon

PS I do NOT need Carolyn Hax telling me what a "Power Bottom" is!

Posted by: GGordonLibby | February 16, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Was just joking about the 11/10, less than a point thing. Realize that both of those things are impossible.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | February 16, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"11 of the Redskins losses in '10 came by less than a point." Um,how can a team lose by less than a point? Then you say "...on the other hand they had 10 losses." Let's see. They loss 11 games by less than a point but then they had 10 losses. What the...?!

Posted by: semilost44 | February 16, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Fixing the Redskins is going to take time and patience. They need to think years ahead, not what player will help make the biggest short term splash. Making a splash may sooth the ego of the owner, but it does not make good football sense. It does not help the team become a consistent winner.

They are now paying for all of the draft picks traded away in previous years. They have NO depth. In order to fill out the team, they must take castoffs from other teams and hope they perform. This is one of the reasons the Redskins were the oldest team in the league last year.

They need an offensive line. It does not matter who they have at any of the skill positions if there is not consistent blocking. Fixing the O-line means looking 3, 4, or even 5 years into the future. It means planning ahead for player retiring. When a linemen retires, his replacement should already be drafted.

Since I think it will take patience, I think that after next season when they are again 6-10, the owner will again fire the GM and coach. The problem then becomes, who would want to work for Dan Snyder.

Posted by: cbm1 | February 16, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

--------------
Those half-point defeats will really kill you. And they drive Vegas up the wall.

Posted by: theamazingmouse | February 16, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like Carlos is angling to be signed as a FA by the Steelers, who need CB help, to play in their secondary with former 'Skin Ryan Clark.

Posted by: DCtoDE | February 16, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Rogers isn't worth the kind of contract numbers posted here.

Addressing the Redskins lack of talent is a process that in my mind will take 2 to 3 years of good drafts and smart moves in free agency for younger vets.

And it may very well be the full 3 years.

Does Shanahan have that long?

Will Snyder give him the time?

Or does Shanahan himself at 57 have the patience for that type of rebuild?

The one thing I have to credit Dick Vermeil for is how he came back to the Rams after making his reputation with the Eagles.

He came in his late 50's/early 60's and still had the patience to build the Rams through the draft.

He didn't make a lot of high profile moves for older players.

But the moves the team did make were by and large ones that panned out for the team.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 16, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Well. If Carlos Rogers cannot get more fired up for his team than that he should just move on. "Must be the money" "Must be the money" Carlos has made it clear he knows the song but isn't real sure that he wants to be a Redskin. Players just don't want to be here anymore what does that tell you. Could we get a new franchise say in Maryland and start over - that would be better than this junk. What a complete mess and what really is a joke is that there are 90,000 fans that support this stuff each week. The fans should go on stike! I bet that would change alot of things.

Posted by: Baller1122 | February 16, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Think of a bell curve. This is a players overall skill during their career. Typlically the Skinz pick up FA after they have past the curves peak and begun to regress - but apparently this time is when the FA is at their highest dollar value. So there is a delay between the current skill level and their dollar value, where value is delayed and not reflective of the current skill. The Skinz have been obtaining PB level FA's past their bell curve peak, when their value is at the highest. Once on the team, because the skillset is diminished, they become a regular starter in skill set, not a PB player, thus diminished return on the investment (which equates to the irate fan). The FO needs to reverse this trend and be the team who makes the players rich free agents. Develop a star, and then lose in FA or trade for more draft picks before their contract ends - you lose players, but you win games. So what if we lose that rising star to FA or via trade? We'll make new ones through sound coaching, through the offense/defense scheme and through the draft. This is how its done these days.

Posted by: bsdman | February 16, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is dead on. Green Bay is about 890 miles from Ashburn. Pittsburgh is about 230 miles.

Neither is very close.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 16, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

why not get paid? you hear and read the guy's subject verb agreement. he is not much of a threat to any employed person out there. he needs to make as much as he can via football and sit back for the rest of his life. I am not mad at him one bit.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 16, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

All jokes aside, Rogers is a solid NFL CB. he's not Champ or Deon, but he's better than both the guys starting for the Steelers now. Let him hit the market and he is gone!

What I like about Rogers is he has been the most honest of all players here. While 90% of the roster lies about the talent here and being a play or player away from the super bowl, Rogers has stayed away from the butt kissing game. Many stupid fans they think that is disloyalty. It's just a truth blind loyalist don't want to hear.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 16, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg might have been joking about the whole "11 of 10 games by less than a point" thing, but Carlos' quote was no joke. "From [the team's] standpoint of view..." From their STANDPOINT of view? I'm not sure what they were teaching at Auburn, but English was apparently not part of the curriculum.

On the other hand, even with that blunder, he sounds like Shakespeare compared to Clinton Portis.

Posted by: right-to-self-defense | February 16, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Carlos is absolutely right that the Redskins are "nowhere close" and he's one of the reasons why. He's a below average corner and if he thinks he's worthy of a big money contracr, he's delusional. When he says "we've got to get players in here," he's correct, and the first thing the Redskins should do is get a good corner to replace him. No other team would be stupid enough to give this slacker a big contract, so Carlos, shut up and improve your game.

Posted by: scg1055 | February 17, 2011 2:20 AM | Report abuse

What's not to understand about the joke Steinberg made???

The bottom line is that we delusional-post cooke-fantasy-football-redskins-fans have travelled that same road over and over again for the past almost 20 offseasons: looking for apologies we do some crazy math then it's snyder-in-free-agency-land and the bandwagon starts rollin' and by week 6 pfffffft.

But hey, it's a lot more fun than being a fan of the browns or lions. At least the Skins are a show. If you take a look at last year: The week 1 Dallas-hype, the heartbreaker against the Texans, the funniest game I've ever seen against the Bears (that was a shitstorm of football follies), the buttersworth soap...
Our owner is starring in ads!!!! The browns or lions owner will never have a cameo in an ad. Never!!
HTTR!! Go get Asomugha, ship the next 8 first-round-picks to Philly for Vick, keep Buttersworth for comic relief and send Favre a text message "Got the balls to be a Foreskin?"
(cynicism, sarcasm and loads a nostalgia)

Posted by: vladoiu | February 17, 2011 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scg1055 | February 17, 2011 2:20 AM
=========================

You remind me of Dan Snyder - in love with other team's players while devaluing your own.

Rogers is not below average.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | February 17, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Good players who want to play here are a rare breed these days. I value covering receivers over getting picks. Therefore Los > DeAngelo. Let's keep the guys who we drafted. Pay the man what's fair, no more than that

Posted by: poconnor | February 17, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

What Steinberg meant was that 11 of the losses in the 2010 season was by one point. '10 is an abbreviation of 2010.

Posted by: jokes_driscoll | February 17, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That's smart negotiating by Los Manos de Piedra.

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 17, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I am always amazed to here people say "we aren't suited for the 3-4"....NO DUH...it was YEAR ONE of a transition to a completely defensive style. Of course we aren't going to have all the pieces/players for the system.

Yes the Redskins were a top 10 (statistically) with the 4-3...but we had no aggressiveness...we couldn't get to the QB, and we had no turnovers. Who cares if you allow only 200 yards?? That means that your opposing teams are just scoring in less time because you can't pressure the QB or take the ball away!!

If you didn't notice...3 out of the final 4 teams in the playoffs run the 3-4 (though Ravens are really now more a hybrid 3-4)...there's a reason for that.

Posted by: goosedude | February 17, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

He needs to get paid enough to keep him here. Whether it's what he wants, what the team wants or what neither want, but like Rogers said, some where in the middle. He is a talented corner and the last thing this team needs it to have to look for another one! The inability to catch int's sucks really bad but he is to good of a corner to let go and then have to replace. I want to see the team get better not worse.

Posted by: Rep281 | February 18, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Meh, Carlos wont sign a big contract, Im pretty sure hell drop the pen any time Allen throws him one.

Posted by: arbano1 | February 18, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Carlos Rogers had the nerve to mention the franchise tag and himself in the same sentence! Are you kidding me? What an idiot this guy is, he needs to have his head examined!

Posted by: Beltwayboy7 | February 18, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Man, does Auburn u. offer any english classes. Maybe Carlos didn't attend. "we don't got player that fit". Come on Carlos.

Posted by: rayjay1 | February 18, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rayjay1 | February 18, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of this idiot and bring in a corner who can actually control the ball when it's in his hands.

Posted by: GYamada0394 | February 18, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Only way to keep the Redskins from losing 10+ games this year is if a strike/lock-out keeps the season at or below 9 games.

Posted by: JCM-51 | February 20, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

What would this overpaid($14 mill plus) knucklehead know about what it takes to win a title? and skins are 42-54 with his brick hands on the corner, and with 8 career INTS... thats about what, almost 2 mill per pick! paleeze, get rid of these over-rated fools from our team.

Posted by: rigginsrocks | February 20, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rigginsrocks | February 20, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Let Carlos go ....and never look back....kind of like Carlos's coverage on deep routes.

Carlos has gotten beat more then any CB in Redskin history. If he gets big money it only come from number one dumb..DANNY

DANNYBOY STILL RULES so Carlos will probably get big payday.

Posted by: dannyboyrules | February 20, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

For the statistical record the Redskins had 10 losses by a total of 105 points. The average margin of loss is...10.5 points per game, not very competitive. Now 1 of the 10 losses was by 1 point, not less than but a point. 7 losses were by 4 points or less and of course one loss was by 31 points (Donavan who?) but over the season average, I cannot see how anyone can call this a competitive team. Unfortunately everyone's math seems to add truth to the CIA Fact Book Report: The USA is the worst industrialized country in math scores. Keep making us proud! USA USA I can't add.

Posted by: optodoc | February 21, 2011 7:25 AM | Report abuse

"11 of the Redskins' 10 losses came by less than a point"

Huh? Are there fractional points in football?

Posted by: truthbeknown | February 21, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

What is this MORON talking about?
The Skins, lost 11 of 10 games by less than a point?????
That's impossible, since the NFL, has NO (3/4, 1/2, 1/4) points.

Some of these writers are "out in space" somewhere???

Posted by: Trophyjeff | February 21, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I dont know why everyone is dogging on him. He is a solid starting CB. He isnt a probowler like Hall, but he is better than most #2 CBs. What he really needs is to spend a summer at a WR camp, catching balls. That would bring his game to the next level. They shouldent pay him guaranteed money based on his potential though, make it incentive based.

Posted by: doug18 | February 22, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Carlos would be good for the Redskins, but when he says he can only control what is in his hands, I think of all the dropped INTs that were in and out of his hands...

Posted by: ACounter | February 23, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Carlos came back strong from a nasty knee injury. He is a solid corner. Pay the man and move on to fixing other holes in the roster.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 23, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse