Posted at 1:55 PM ET, 02/ 4/2011

Chris Cooley won't be cheering for the Steelers

By Dan Steinberg

Remember when Bruce Boudreau told me that he wouldn't be cheering for the Steelers in the Super Bowl because he hates the city of Pittsburgh? And I speculated that most D.C. athletes don't have their finger on the pulse quite like that? Well, Chris Cooley does.

"I love Green Bay, because I don't like Pittsburgh fans," Cooley said this week on ESPN Radio's Scott Van Pelt Show. "I'm over it. I'm over Pittsburgh winning. I've had enough of it. I can't stand them any more, running around D.C. all wild, slapping us in the face."

Now, he was obviously mostly joking here, but I'd say there was 0.47 percent seriousness. Van Pelt asked if this reflected lingering emotions from the FedEx Field Monday Night Football takeover.

"Oh, that was unbelievable," Cooley said. "Thank you, StubHub."

"Thank you Redskins fans for not showing up," countered Van Pelt, himself a longtime Skins fan. "What was that about?"

"It was rough," Cooley said. "It was rough. But there's nothing I have against the Steelers, there's really nothing I have against Steelers fans. I'm super jealous of everything that they've accomplished and that we haven't been able to accomplish as a team. And I want to make it to the Super Bowl. Bu ti just don't want to go home and have them all cheery and happy. See, I don't have to deal with any Green Bay fans."

As for Cooley's generic and generally upbeat comments about the 2011 season, they were generic and generally upbeat.

"I'm excited," he said. "I was excited for the way our team started to trend towards the end of the season. We had a lot of guys hurt, but we had a lot of young coming in and playing well. We beat Jacksonville, which was a big game for us. I felt like guys really started to buy in to what we're doing. And I know it's super cliche to say we were playing Redskins football -- everyone plays their own football -- but you have to have that team atmosphere. You have to have guys that show up to work and believe in what they're doing. I think towards the end of the year we had a lot of guys do that."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 4, 2011; 1:55 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley wears ugly Nats hat, meets Snooki
Next: Redskins: "Love is in the Air"

Comments

Go spin pots loser. You wouldnt even start on most teams in the NFL.

Posted by: wburn42167 | February 4, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Really. Why doesn't Chris Cooley shut his yap until the 'Skins start winning? Guy's become a whiner, not a winner.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 4, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Cooley is one of our best players. What's with all the vitriol? Cooley would be a starting tight end on pretty much any team. His hands are great (sans 1 game this year) and he can block the best of them. I imagine he will shut his yap when media stop asking him questions.

Why berate a consistently productive and well-liked player?

Posted by: sordidvox | February 4, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

False. Cooley couldn't carry Witten, Boss or Celek's jock strap...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 4, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

There goes old Fooley running his mouth.

Expect him to be traded for youth. That one game he dropped 5 balls in the 1st half showed his true skills.

Keep running your yap Fooley!

Posted by: PensRule | February 4, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

False. Cooley couldn't carry Witten, Boss or Celek's jock strap...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 4, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay you can make a case for Witten. But Boss and Celek??? You add both there numbers together and you get a Cooley.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Cooley has been a constant strong performer and one of the league's high-level TEs in his career. He deserves to win. I respect the work that he has put in regardless of the ineptitude of some hack players the team has installed on this offense over the years. If you watched the games you'd know that without #47, our 'hotshot' QBs probably wouldn't have converted a 3rd down all season. I'll even grudgingly respect Witten, but there have been few other TEs on these guys' level over the years. Boss and Celek are garbage, probably the most replaceable people in the division.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | February 5, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Cooley speaks the truth. I have nothing against the Steelers; I was rooting against the Steelers fans. The last thing ANYONE needs is a bunch of transplanted Yinzers driving around the DMV with "We got one for every day of the Week!" bumperstickers plastered all over their vehicles.

Posted by: jburksva | February 7, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse