Posted at 4:51 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011

Cooley on Snyder, City Paper, Redskins

By Dan Steinberg

I'll tell you one man who gave more radio row Super Bowl interviews than Dan Snyder: Chris Cooley. He was out to promote SportsBuzz, and he sure got the site a lot of publicity on a lot of different radio stations, anyhow. Throughout his interviews, he said he was sick of Pittsburgh fans, surprised that Donovan McNabb got benched, hopeful about the future, and so on.

Just for fun, here are three things he said in three of his interviews that seemed a bit more unique.

Dan Snyder

Colin Cowherd asked Cooley how frequently he and the other players see Dan Snyder.

"Mr. Snyder comes to practice every day, pretty much every day," Cooley said. "He's around the players, he's personable. I mean, he's a guy that we talk to. I know him well. I like him, I think he's a great guy. It's been tough for him in the media, but in terms of players, I mean, I've been there eight years now. I know him, I know him well. I like him."

City Paper

The Junkies attempted to ask Cooley his thoughts on Snyder's lawsuit against Washington City Paper. This was a tough one to handle, understandably. So the focus then became sort of whether this was a wise PR strategy.

"Here's what I would tell you, because I can't say anything about what decision Mr. Snyder makes and what angle he takes," Cooley said. "When I do something that I'm not happy with or that I want to do better, I'll just say, 'Look, this is what happened, I'm trying my best, I'm doing everything I can do. It hasn't gone right, I'm gonna keep trying, because it's something I love.'

When Eric Bickel of the Junkies attempted to ask a follow-up, Cooley sort of cut him off.

"I don't know what you want [Snyder] to say," Cooley said.

"Take the high road," E.B. suggested.

"The thing was, initially, I mean, how many people read that newspaper?" Cooley asked.

"Nobody," Bickel said. "Nobody reads that paper, so now he's made it way bigger. Now the whole world reads it."

Finally, he asked Cooley about how to handle public criticism when you're a public figure.

"The thing is, I know that we're in the entertainment business, and I know that everyone cares about it," Cooley said. "I'm open to it. I'm not gonna come on and talk to you guys and say eff off, you're talking bad about me. I mean, I dropped the passes, you know? It's a mistake. I'm trying....It doesn't bother me at all....Again, like I said, [it's] a public entertainment business. It's not a personal attack. I'm fine with it. I'm fine when people criticize me. It happens. You see it every day."

The Redskins

Cooley was also on something called the Max & Marcellus Show, and he was asked what it's like to watch two Super Bowl organizations after having spent his entire career with the often tumultuous Skins.

"It's been tough for me," Cooley said. "I'm going on eight years playing for the Redskins. I couldn't be happier with the opportunity that they gave me....Our fan base is amazingg here. Our fan base has really loved me, has given everything to me. It's so tough, because I really love the team I play for, but year in and year out I have to defend [it] to everybody, I have to say 'We're gonna be a good team, we're exited about next year.' And you watch teams like Pittsburgh, they're winning every year. And it's tough. I don't want to go anywhere else, but I definitely want to win games. And so I'm jealous of these teams."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 8, 2011; 4:51 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Olsen's Army campaign hits Metro
Next: About that Blackstrom jersey

Comments

The smartest PR Player we have.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 8, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

He's definitely smart. Though he's only been here 7 years, not 8.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 8, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Classy guy--his comments come across as honest, but tactful. Too bad we don't see more of that around here...or anywhere else, for that matter.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 8, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What if the Redskins owner was that MATURE!!!

Posted by: clifton3 | February 8, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

What if the Redskins owner was that MATURE!!!

Posted by: clifton3 | February 8, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

["Mr. Snyder comes to practice every day, pretty much every day," Cooley said.]

Makes you wonder how Snyder has that kind of free time. Not exactly grinding out the next slam-fest communications fortune, is he?

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 8, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

It would seem that someone you see on an almost daily basis; someone you work with; someone who wants to instill trust, etc., would loosen up and say "Call me Dan".

Nope. He continues to be "Mr. Snyder" to the players, the GM, the entire community. You can buy respect, Danno.

Posted by: adjjones | February 8, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Nope. He continues to be "Mr. Snyder" to the players, the GM, the entire community. You can't buy respect, Danno.

Posted by: adjjones | February 8, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan shilling for Cooley once again. This time to promote SportsDUD.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | February 8, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

What are people talking about? He comes off as witless, cliche spewing dolt. I don't get the attachment people have for this guy. These radio shows have him on and he NEVER says anything remotely interesting or insightful. He's incredibly boring, that's way different from "classy". At least Portis will speak his mind and say something honest from time to time.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 8, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

E.g. "Our coach is supposed to be an offensive genius. But every time I look behind me there's Jason on his ass. Ask the genius. Maybe he can tell you why." C. Portis, 2009,

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 8, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Personally i think Cooley is being a big fat poosie here.....Somebody needs to step up to Danny Boy. Sure the players like the guy he gives them millions of (our)dollars. BUT, He screws the fans and ultimatley has no respect for the fans.

The Eagles will never win a Super Bowl because the fans suck. We will never win a Super Bowl because the owner sucks. Karma is a pain....the worst part is Danny is only 45 he has probably 40 more years of this.

I have been selling me season tix that have been in my family for 50 years. The guy I sell them to is obviousley an idiot. I only hold them hoping for the fans to buy him out Packers style.

I have something planned for this fall, with 50 of my closest friends at the home opener. Planning is in its final stages. Yes we will probably all be all be arrested but it will be worth it Danny cannot hide from this.......embarrasment central...

Posted by: inthemiddle2 | February 8, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley gets me sick. Dan Synder's personal barf bag.

Posted by: tomass169 | February 8, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

well, well, well, fat cooley has taken over for Wilbon as the the tea bag catcher. he can't catch a football so a bag on the chin is looking pretty good for him. he can't run anything but control routes and is a joke watching on seam routes as he is a weeble and can't out jump a midget wrestler. i am sick of him and these other clowns putting on a show. i lost respect for the dough boy when he and that bum punk Colt Brennan made that 3rd grade video about Romo and Witten. He cannot carry Jason's jock and is the most overrated hitch, curl, 7 yd. bench running, butter fingered bum in the league.

Posted by: doyouktt | February 8, 2011 10:24 PM | Report abuse

He knows who writes his checks. Smart man - tho, of course I completely disagree with what he said.

Posted by: dc1020008 | February 8, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm jealous of your wife, too, Chris!! I'd LOVE to sleep with you every night. You're sooo cute!!

Posted by: rpcv84 | February 8, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will always be the beloved team of Washington.... So, we need to just be thankful we have them. Remember when the Senators left town? A winning team begins with the fans!!!

Posted by: JMG4 | February 8, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMG4 | February 8, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Nobody cares about the Senators. I mean c'mon, that horse is more than dead, so stop beating it.

To compare the Senators to the Redskins is laughable, at best.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 8, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

you know, had this been portis, in all his broken english glory, commenters on here would be sharpening the pitchforks.
but whenever cooley says something, folks on here jump head first up his a__.
in fact, i think portis says stuff like this all the time

Posted by: ryjufox3 | February 8, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

One day, I'm all alone out River Road. My car breaks down. It's getting dark and frigid, windy. Cars all going by.
Then this black Mercedes slows down and Dan Snyder pops out. He asks me, "You need help?"
I said, "I sure do, I'm just down and out. Old car, no money to fix it, nowhere to go."
Well Dan just pulls out his cell phone and calls some people. I mean 5 minutes later this guy shows up with a briefcase just full of money, later turned out to be five thousand $100 bills. Then he hands me the keys to the car he showed up in -- a new Cadillac. Then I hear his chopper. It drops down a big magnet on the roof of my old car. Danny says, "We'll have this recycled to save the trees," and gets on the roof of my old car, and rides off into the sky. I'll never forget it. Dan Snyder, what a man.

Posted by: kls1 | February 9, 2011 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Jason Witten>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chris Cooley.

Posted by: jbworldwide | February 9, 2011 1:09 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Cooley quote is: 'We're gonna be a good team, we're exited about next year.' These Redskins say the same thing after every loss and at the end of every year, and evry year they finish last. I'd like to see Cooley spend more time on his game prep and less time doing interviews. I don't understand his popularity. He's an average player, no better. He's part of the problem.

Posted by: scg1055 | February 9, 2011 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Poor Cools, he is politically correct with old Danny boy. He has to be , the man pays him. Good luck Cools with Danny Boy, you need it. He and Shanny could turn on.

Posted by: vaparrot | February 9, 2011 6:51 AM | Report abuse

SportsBuzz needs a better ISP. Took forever to load in Chrome!

Posted by: bbirdy202 | February 9, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

You guys are a scream. You want Cooley to publically dog out the guy who signs his paycheck? Why don't you guys try calling your boss a doosh in the media and tell us how that works out for you.

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 9, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Mr. Snyder comes to practice every day, pretty much every day...He's around the players, he's personable. I mean, he's a guy that we talk to."

How sad is it that "Mr. Snyder" still hasn't realized that a good owner shouldn't be meddling in the day to day affairs of team practices.

What's sadder is knowing that he made Joe freaking Gibbs call him "Mr. Snyder" at every encounter.

Get over yourself DANNY

Posted by: jbanks979 | February 9, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

mr cooley is just the latest stooge in the mr snyder empire..overpaid and unable to speak his mind...just a few years more and he will retire...now learn how to catch the ball in 3rd down so your qb can move the chains...

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | February 9, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

It's time the NFL force Snyder to sell the Redskins to a more mature, team owner--someone like our other DC sports team owner, whom the city and players respect and revere. And no, I don't work for that other team owner! Snyder has run our franchise into the ground. All he cares about is making money, not winning. It's time to get someone like the Rooney's in here.

Posted by: dancadanca | February 9, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Is asking a player to publicly comment on the guy who signs his paychecks really good reporting? (thats a rhetorical question)

Posted by: TerpfanMA | February 9, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some of the commenters on this blog are.

Cooley is SMART. Would you criticized your boss in a public forum? Would you say anything negative about the company you work for knowing that the man who pays you will hear what you say? Obviously not, because you'd be fired.

Who knows what the players think of the organization (or fans for that matter) behind closed doors. What we hear is what they want us to hear. Read between the lines if you want a clearer picture.

Obviously he's hoping the team gets better just as much as we do, but it hasn't and it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Is he going to stop saying "We will be better. I think we'll be a good team next year."? Of course not! Don't we all say the same thing every New Years day? "This year is going to be better. I'm going to finally achieve this goal." Why? Because it gives us hope and a reason to keep trying.

Posted by: MillBurray | February 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

1. You can't say "my boss is an a-hole" to a batch of reporters if you want another paycheck. This isn't a-kissing; it's an adult talking. Too many star athletes think that being paid mega-bucks is the definition of "professional." Money can't buy maturity.

2. Cooley clearly says Snyder's a fool for targeting a tiny little newspaper because now EVERYONE is reading the entire article. He goes on to say that, if he were Snyder, he would suck it up and move on. Apparently, many posters here think it'd be better said by a narcissistic, illiterate mumble-mouth.

3. Would you people prefer it if Cooley said "We're really gonna suck this year! I think I'll pull a Hayne-y on the 40-yardline and snort some turf! My teammates ain't worth a crap!" Try that out with your boss, your co-workers, and a national newspaper, then get back to me.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | February 9, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Snyder Communications is an oxymoron.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | February 9, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

come on people lets revolt. follow the lead of our brothers in egypt. we have a ruthless dictator that has been in power far too long! but we don't even have to protest, just quit caring! so simple just don't give a rats **s about the dead and lifeless washington synderskins and the evil dictator will go broke and fade away!! JUST STOP CARING!

Posted by: jacksonalex | February 10, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Of course the players love Snyder - he overpays all of them. Know anyone who joined the team because they thought it was a winning organization? Any FA sign a below market contract with Snyder? Nope and it'll never happen.

Posted by: Leofwine | February 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Root for A.P.R. - Anyone Playing the Redskins. I am a mid 40's long time fan, remember all the super bowls. Married into a family with season tickets - not thje reason but was a nice dowery! 2 years ago when the fan-suit debacle hit, with the little old lady on the front page of the Post, I decided in protest to root against the skins for one year. It was a great year, as the team went 12-4 (losses vs wins). You see, you just need to change your perspective to improve your mood. Last year I gave them another chance. Now back comes Snyder with a vengence. I AM DONE. Riggo had it right - he is a bad man, with a dark heart. So, I encourage all fans to ROOT A.P.R.!
Guarantee you will get the same satisfaction as I did, and you still have something to do on Sunday's. Note - it's also important to not buy skins stuff, attend games or listen to any of the Snyder properties. ROOT A.P.R.

Posted by: garthgraham | February 10, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Not mentioned in Snyder's lawsuit:
During the 2006 season, vendors offered shelled nuts in royal blue and white 5 oz. bags adorned with the Independence Air logo. Problem: The airline had gone under about a year earlier. The supplier told Washington City Paper that it stopped shipping the airline’s nuts “before Independence Air went out of business.” A spokesman for the Peanut Council told City Paper that to prevent rancidity, the recommended shelf life of a foil bag of out-of-shell peanuts was “about three months.

Would not have known that except for McKenna via Snyder.

Posted by: Leofwine | February 11, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Cooley needs another career as he cannot catch a football and as I understand it, a receiver needs to be able to catch the ball. Cooley is just another Narcissist.

Posted by: hz9604 | February 12, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I am not a big Snyder fan, but that is the reason we have a judicial system.
For Snyder to roll over like a rented mule would be preposterous.
The papers need to be accountable for their actions just like the rest of us.
Let the court system do its thing, I say.

Posted by: tripferguson1 | February 13, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse