Posted at 10:11 AM ET, 02/15/2011

Red Zebra announces new Orioles deal

By Dan Steinberg

A week after the news broke that the Nats were likely to make 106.7 The Fan their flagship station, that station's local rival -- ESPN 980 -- re-upped with the other local ballclub.

Yup, Red Zebra Broadcasting sent out a press release Tuesday morning announcing a two-year deal to broadcast Orioles games on ESPN 980 and SportsTalk 570.

"It only makes sense to have the O's on the station that is the home of ESPN, Major League Baseball, the All-Star game, the playoffs and the World Series," Red Zebra's director of programming, Chuck Sapienza, said in the release.

If you're keeping score, that means this current alignment of sports radio properties will continue to look like this.

Red Zebra: Redskins, Orioles, University of Maryland, Georgetown basketball, University of Virginia (on 570).

The Fan: Wizards, Nationals, Virginia Tech.

Federal News Radio: Capitals, Ravens, Navy football, GW basketball, Nats (as an affiliate).

By Dan Steinberg  | February 15, 2011; 10:11 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Knuble cannot live without beer
Next: The Caps confuse Ray Whitney

Comments

go o's!

Posted by: hockeypunk | February 15, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

a few questions:
1. What are the radio rating of the Orioles vs Nationals in the DC market?

2. How strong is the 980 signal into suburban Baltimore? I read that 980 has high ratings in Baltimore as well.

3. Given that 980 carries the Orioles, why do they not do any cross promotion? No other shows relating to the Orioles or baseball, and the other talk shows never even talk about the Orioles.

Posted by: jk1492 | February 15, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, Snyder's radio station exists to support the Redskins. They are not going to spend much time talking about the Orioles. On the other hand, the fact that it was an established sports station before Snyder bought it means that it is a good vehicle for the Orioles, in any case. I expect the Nats' numbers will go up with the stronger Northern Virginia signal on WJFK.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | February 15, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

jk1492
I work in Bmore county and live in Fed Hill in Bmore City and 980 comes in fine so long as the sun is up. It doesn’t come in too well north of the city. Nobody will listen to O's games on 980 though because they are locally on wbal. The only reason most people up here like me listen to 980 is for the Skins.

Posted by: doesntmatter | February 15, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The idea that any local DC radio station would carry the out-of-town Orioles makes me sick. If you want them, listen to WBAL, but stay out of DC.

Posted by: dontknowdiddley | February 15, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Angelos and Snyder deserve each other.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 15, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

And yet, what is the Bhawlmuher affilate for both the Redskins and Nats?

Posted by: CapsNut | February 15, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Another example of how Snyder doesn't give a crap about Washington. He is willing to market and sell whatever comes his way, even if it is a broken down team like the Orioles who like the Pirates have been at the bottom for the past 13-14 years.

If you are going to broadcast a loser it might as well be the hometown club.

Ha.

Snyder is upset the City Paper portrayed him with horns, but to a lot of us that have followed Washington sports before he came to own the Redskins, he is indeed the devil.

The product he has put out on the field at Fedex Field is nothing short of excrement year after year.

Only the class of Joe Gibbs for a short period restored any luster that was here previously.

As long as Snyder is here, Redskins' tradition is dead.

You can see from the Shaun Rogers meeting this week that the Redskins still haven't given up on the idea of signing more 32 year old ballplayers for their last place team.

Still haven't learned a thing.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 15, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Funny reading the comments from the bitter, whiny crybaby Senator/Natinal fans.

Hahahhahahha

They're just jealous because they know the O's are gonna be so much more better than the Natinals this year and it just eats them up inside.

Hahahaha

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 15, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

jk1492: I work in downtown Baltimore, and the signal here, 3 blocks north of the Inner Harbor, is horrible. I actually pick up a station out of Cincinnati on the 980 signal, regardless of whether I'm in my car, my office, etc. When I'm on my way out of the city, heading NE on Monument/40/Orleans St., I can pick up the signal once I'm east of Johns Hopkins hospital, and keep it all the way up I-95 almost to Aberdeen - but only if the sun is up.

CapsNut: If only.

Posted by: RCBJr | February 15, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

i'll try to simplify this for the remaining handful of blO's fans in the DC area:

106.7 + 1500 > 980

any questions?

Posted by: DCPowerGator | February 15, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a change of subject but does anyone know when we get out of that stupid MASN deal with the Orioles? The Nats should have their own regional cable network i hope this isnt permanent. 980 sucks and so do the Orioles. Lets go Nats!

Posted by: MrWillie | February 15, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm a DCer who prefers the O's, Nats didn't get here until I was 19. Camden Yards is an upgrade over Nats Park. I root for the Nats 156 times a year though.

Posted by: break20 | February 15, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse