Posted at 2:27 PM ET, 02/16/2011

Feinstein can't bring up Dan Snyder on Kornheiser's show

By Dan Steinberg

Maybe this is old news, but it feels new to me. In his blog this week, John Feinstein wrote that Tony Kornheiser has asked him not to bring up the topic of Daniel Snyder on his radio show. Here's Feinstein:

Tony Kornheiser has specifically asked me not to bring up Dan Snyder on his show. I feel queasy about this but Tony's my friend and it is his show. It isn't as if there aren't plenty of other forums for me to talk about Snyder and Snyder is one of those guys Tony simply isn't going to go after--not because he's paid by him but because he likes him.

Look, we all have blind spots. If you tell me something bad about Paul Goydos or Tom Watson or Gary Williams or Mike Krzyzewski or Mary Carillo or Joe Torre or Bobby Cox I'm not going to listen. Snyder is one of those guys for Tony. So is Mitch Albom, who we also disagree on. If I had a show and he wanted to come on and rip Watson's politics, I'd probably say, 'look, I'm sure I agree with you but the guy is my friend so let's not go there.' And he wouldn't go there. So, Tony and I don't talk about Snyder. We agree to disagree--vehemently.

(Via Reader Ivan.)

By Dan Steinberg  | February 16, 2011; 2:27 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen leaves a fan a voice mail
Next: Charlie Davies on the bear hug, the Stanky Leg, Georgetown and Raclette

Comments

Hold on a second there professor....

Snyder is suing a local Washington DC paper? Did this just happen? You should mention it in other bog posts to get the word out. In fact, it'd be even crazier if you had some kind of connection with the whole story.

Posted by: PropJoe | February 16, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Case in point to my comments on previous BOG post. I'm sure it didn't hurt that TK isn't much of a Dave McKenna fan either.

TK used to be a good writer, but was always a mean person. Figures he would be in lil Danny's corner.

-------------------------------------------
Steinz... Are you legally obligated to run this garbage? For every "feel good" stories there are dozens of examples of Dan "lil devil" Snyder and his league of mismanaged minions running roughshod over fans, media outlets, and well as threats to WRITERS.

Did he get to you?? WAKE UP Dan WAKE UP!

Posted by: DCFanCouncil | February 16, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCFanCouncil | February 16, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, what is the deal with the DC media being so afraid to criticize a figure that is consistently among the top 3 most-hated figures in town?? (was consistently right behind George W. Bush and Marion Barry in Washingtonian polls). And what's the story with Kornheiser? Is it a religious thing or what? (then again, Feinstein isn't afraid). And yes Feinstein lists a few guys he won't criticize, but let's be honest -- Gary Williams, Mary Carillo, Coach K?? -- Mother Theresa compared to Little Danny Snyder. Never been a bit fan of Tony -- i get tired of his incessant whining -- but this pretty much seals the deal. In a relatively slow local sports week, no talk about the lawsuit?!?!?

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | February 16, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post is by no means a perfect paper. No media outlet is, and no person is for that matter. They/we all make mistakes, from time to time. But I've been following this paper for a long, long time and I have yet to come across a bigger mistake than the Post's puzzling decision not to discipline, or better yet, dismiss John Feinstein. He made outrageous claims last fall that Mike Shanahan was using racial coding in his handling of Donovan McNabb, yet it went completely unchallenged by his employer.

Publicly calling or insinuating someone is a racist without even the slightest shred of evidence is about the most despicable accusation you can make about a public figure. It is not okay to accuse someone of "racial coding" when there is no evidence to support this disgusting claim.

Feinstein defended his comments by claiming it's perfectly understandable to believe racism played a role given the history the Redskins organization. It is not understandable, and it is not okay. There are countless institutions in this country--including government institutions--that used to discriminate decades ago. Every time a person gets disciplined by any government agency in 2011, should they assume it's because of their skin color since 50 years ago that may have been the case? That is bologna racial-victim mentality nonsense, and anyone who engages in it should be ashamed of themselves.

You are not a victim because your ancestors were discriminated again. I am not a victim because my great uncle and aunt were tortured during the Holocaust. And it is not okay to always assume any white supervisor who disciplines a black employee did so because of skin color or vice versa.

We have come so far in this country when it comes to racial issues, yet people like John Feinstein still do their best to set us back 40-50 years. He should have been fired on the spot. Yet he kept his job at the Post without so much as even a public reprimand. This is, in my opinion, the Post's biggest mistake in recent memory. You cannot let something like that slide. It's just not right.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll first say I'm a fan of this bog and I will read most WaPo articles, if nothing else, but b/c I'm a Washingtonian. That said, I'm a very cynical person (as most of my posts portray) and it's so painfully obvious how slanted the paper is towards Snyder and the Redskins in general. Of course both the owner and Skins deserve criticism when it's due to them (which is often), but it's stuff like this that makes you shake ya damn head:

Notice that they had to throw in a "?" after the backhanded praise for the story behind the story. As in, this can't be right, the Skins did something positive?

I'm Ron Burgundy? Just report the story.

Posted by: PropJoe | February 16, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Mary Carillo is a good tennis analyst, but I don't know why someone would name their son Mary.

Posted by: mike8 | February 16, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd see the day when Kornholio became one of Snyder's lap dogs. Alot of people in this town revere Kornheiser, I'm not one of them. He's been a cold arrogant schmuck to alot of people over the years. Back when he was writing for the Post he sank his fangs into stories like this. Now that he's on the payroll he he folds like a cheap suit. The little respect I had for Kornheiser is now gone.

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 16, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

anybody else sick of seeing barno1 comment on race? leave your White Citizens' Council views out of the sports discussion. I feel like you play the race card more than Al Sharpton at a klan rally....

Posted by: jkblodge1 | February 16, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes, everyone is sick of him and tries their best to ignore him.

Posted by: mike8 | February 16, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

very lame of TK

Posted by: slick3 | February 16, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

TK is worthless. I've been saying it for years.

He has no credibility and is Snyder's *****

Posted by: CF11555 | February 16, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"you play the race card more than Al Sharpton at a klan rally"

Not sure how wishing Feinstein didn't play the race card means I'm playing the race card. You'll have to explain that to me.

"leave your White Citizens' Council views out of the sports discussion"

First of all, I am Hispanic and Jewish, I don't think the White Citizens' Council would have me. Second of all, it always amazes me that those of us who are against the playing of the race card, against race-based policies, and want a more colorblind society...are accused of being bigots by those, like jkblodge1, who simply don't have the intelligence to come up with any other counter-argument.

Feinstein should have been fired. I will continue beating that drum every time I see his name pop up. Deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Objectivity is one of the basic ethical tenets of the journalism profession.

Apparently Tony needs to look that word up

Ignoring facts is a version of propaganda.

Covering for your "buddies" is not what the media is paid to do, but the sure do quite of bit of that, not just here, EVERYWHERE.

Posted by: EK3000 | February 16, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Serious question: Is there anyone who "likes" Dan Snyder who isn't paid by him?

As for TK, he's about what Snyder deserves. An embittered, ancient has-been coasting on Wilbon's fumes.

Posted by: thediesel | February 16, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Violate one of TK's pet taboos and he's all over you. try to shut down a newspaper and he's cool with it. TK you are a scumbag.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | February 16, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you write, "Speaking of, in the week that news broke of Dan Snyder's lawsuit against CIty Paper, there was never a sustained discussion of the issue on Tony Kornheiser's radio show. A radio show that's largely devoted to the D.C. sports and media scene. That seemed odd."

As others have pointed out, there's nothing odd about TK's behavior. In fact, it was completely predictable. He relishes his role as a carnival barker who wants preferential seating at the Palm and in Snyder's owner's box. That's TK's prerogative, but it's pretty lame.

Posted by: eric22 | February 16, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Tony should go into another line of work. Snyder's performance as owner and this obnoxious lawsuit are two of - if not THE - biggest sports story lines in this city right now. It would be like a St. Louis sports journalist refusing to discuss the Pujols negotiations. I've always liked Kornheiser but he is way off base here.

Posted by: jksesq1 | February 16, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"there was never a sustained discussion of the issue on Tony Kornheiser's radio show"

I think I've listened to literally every minute of TK's radio show during this time. Unless I'm forgetting something, the entire discussion was on the day the story broke; TK was commenting on a story in the WP and said "I'm going to talk about this story. There are other stories that I'm not going to talk about" (clearly implying the CP lawsuit story).

TK isn't shy about nailing the Redskins, so you can't just call him a Dannyboy lapdog and leave it that.

I would have like to have heard him address the issue, but seriously: how productive is it to go into a story about your boss clearly being a moron? Where's that going to go other than "boom, your show's canceled"?

I'm obviously a TK fan, but I think this is clearly defensible example of picking your battles in a non-suicidal manner.

Posted by: joebleux | February 16, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Objectivity is one of the basic ethical tenets of the journalism profession.

Apparently Tony needs to look that word up"
Posted by: EK3000 | February 16, 2011 3:47 PM

But Tony is not a journalist. He hosts a sports radio talk show in which he expresses his opinions about sports news. Even when he wrote for the Post he was a columnist not a reporter.

He's not Sportscenter. He's not obligated to talk about anything objectivly. If he doesn't want to talk about Snyder, he doesn't have to. Nor do you have to listen to him.

Posted by: MyOpinionIs | February 16, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Whose bread I eat, his song I sing. Sing it Tony, "Hail to the Redskins, hail victory."

Danny's actions must violate every cell of Tony's journalistic being. How TK can ignore the situation is beyond me.

Posted by: deepvalue | February 16, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Glad Andy and Szabe don't have any problems with blasting their boss.

Posted by: mike8 | February 16, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, everyone is sick of him and tries their best to ignore him.

Posted by: mike8
-----------------------------

I just wish WaPo would upgrade their awful blog software and include an "ignore" feature. He'd be #1 on my list.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 16, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein is a well respected, controversial, talented, author and sportswriter. Tony Kornheiser is a sell out. Plain and simple. He is also a very successful,lazy, dishonest, former journalist. He cashed in a long time ago and his opinion is no longer worth a damn. How can you have a radio show that is primarily devoted to DC sports and not mention the Snyder lawsuit debacle? I am certain Feinstein is far more disgusted with his "friend" than he lets on. He should be. He shouldn't sully his rep by going on that show anymore.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 16, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

And this is how Steinberg got fired.

Posted by: vn11701 | February 16, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Your little fit of pique sounds like a back-handed slap to your friend Tony.
That being said please fire away at Dan , the tiny tyrant.

Posted by: pd2710 | February 16, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I am by no means a fan of Korndogser but I'm with him on this one. Public vs Snyder: TKO! No refunds, move along folks!

Red here:

Posted by: iubiquity | February 16, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Unlike some folks, I am a huge TK fan, but I am disappointed he didn't address the lawsuit story as that was the number one sports-related story in DC for about a week.

I would at least liked to have heard his comments on the whole anti-Semitism claim in the suit.

Posted by: gkronenberg | February 16, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Dan, TK is not a journalist anymore; he's an entertainer. Anyone who works for ESPN is an entertainer. There are very few true sports journalists left anymore. Feinstein, as much as he annoys me, is a journalist still.

Posted by: jay4811 | February 16, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Im out of the area but listen to TK online. I love his show but this really disappoints me.

Are Andy & Czabe talking about the lawsuit on Sports Reporters? Looking for honest answer here

Posted by: jpfterps | February 16, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, jpfterps, they are. And that shows you that fear of being fired is not why Tony isn't talking about it. Czaban is as critical of Snyder as almost anyone and, yet, whaddayaknow, Snyder signs his checks too.

Anyone objective who has followed Tony K's commentary over the years knows he's not afraid to say something that might get him in trouble with his bosses.

Maybe, just maybe, Tony actually likes Dan Snyder.. not because Snyder pays him but because he actually likes him.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

You missed the point on this one, Steinberg. Kornheiser is a HATER. If he was a company man, he'd want to talk about the BEST owner ever, every minute of every show.

Posted by: jburnetti | February 16, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

why would anyone have anything bad to say about Mary Carillo? she doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence (paragraph) with Dan Snyder.

Posted by: bliegus | February 16, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser jumped the shark like a decade ago.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 16, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

you guys are missing the point. TK is still funny, and smart believe it or not. Have you listened to his show or just bashed it? He isn't a journalist, but guess what, neither are you!

this blog is "kind of" funny, but Dan, the stories about your true personality, or lack thereof, are out there, I hope you are putting some of it away today because, baby, this is getting old.

Posted by: sorenoid | February 16, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This Snyderblog will never get old - there's always NEW stuff everyday - keep the heat on Snyder and TK ......butI have to disgaree with John on the Ike Cox thing - Ike Cox beat up his wife and got off scott free.

Posted by: PTLRMD | February 16, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

To iubiquity. I didn't think the Frandsen (?) article was anything close to a slam-dunk. Do political writers stop criticizing politicians with whom they disagree after covering a few talking points? How long did WaPo grind away at the Nixon administration concerning Watergate before Nixon resigned?

When you have a cause that you feel passionately about, sometimes the only way your voice gets heard is to continue to 'bang the drum'.

There is no TKO...no need to move on, keep storming the castle good people!!

Posted by: TusconSteve | February 16, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Tony. Fact of the matter, the Snyder bashing is old and tired and Feinstein jumped on that train a long time ago. Tony and John Jr are good friends and have discussed the topic many times over.....what is the point to do it over and over?

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 16, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

How about stop using the name Redskins and instead call them the Washington football team with the racist name. Change the damn racist name of the team!

Posted by: jmarks09 | February 16, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

When less than 1 out of 10 Native Americans, according to polls, find the name Redskins offensive--why do so many patronizing people like the above guy find it offensive on their behalf? I still can't figure out the answer to that question. It really does seem that a higher percentage of Bog readers find the term "racist" than actual Native Americans. Maybe they just hate the Redskins team, not the name?

Here's some food for thought:

Sports Illustrated also conducted a poll on this issue with similar results. Must be so frustrating to find out the term isn't really racist after all. At least according to more than 90% of Native Americans.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

This should surprise no one. TK wants to keep his job a while longer. He may well be "personal" friends with Snyder, as people with money are always insulated form those without money. I don't blame TK for running with such a thug, although I'm sure he's somewhat aware as a former journalist that Snyder is a deranged vindictive egomaniacal clown who can blow his top over the slightest thing. In TK's position, I wouldn't tug on Superman's cape either. It's not like people are crying out for his moral leadership on this issue. That's supposed to be the job of outlets like the Post.

Posted by: Standardman | February 16, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Tony K : You USED to be really good, then really bad, now.....hit the wall while on a jumping shark....

Posted by: aginsburg | February 16, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

ok, so how long do you continue with this hate mongering? Snyder is gonna be the owner until he dies. No amount of anger and hostility expressed will change that. Furthermore, everyone will still support the team. Believe me, he, his family, friends and inner circle all hear you loud and clear! You can say it is of their own making, but they are wrying in humiliation right now.

I don't see where there's anything to gain by mandating a firing squad on a corpse. He's already been crucified. He feels it and he will learn from it. How could he not? I submit that right now he is desperate to atone for his monumental misdeeds.

So what do you hope to accomplish from a continued barrage? He is going nowhere, believe that! You're stuck with him. The only thing that could possibly change the outcome is to incite the masses into a murderous rampage. I seriously doubt you want that.

So the question again becomes, what do you hope to accomplish?

The only other rationale for is to satisfy your bloodlust, or perhaps to pacify the initial hate into a more manageable tone down the road, in which case I can halfway understand.

Posted by: iubiquity | February 16, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

TK cannot be taken seriously anymore. If he ever could be. I stopped taking him seriously years ago, when he was on WTEM with Pollin.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 17, 2011 12:59 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight....

Some Sportwriter wanted talk to another Sportswriter about some guy... but the other sportswriter didn't want to talk about him because he was friends with the guy...

And... you want to write about this because??

Do you find this news worthy?
Do you have nothing else to write about that you have to write about sheer garbage?

Man.. what is wrong with you blog writers?

This is worse than reading the lotion bottle when I'm taking a dookie...

Epic FAIL.

Posted by: regxjin | February 17, 2011 4:33 AM | Report abuse

I worship at the altar of Uncle Tony, but being objective for a minute...if this were, say, Al Davis suing the Contra Costa Times for slander, TK would've been all over it on the show and it would've probably been in the 'A' block on PTI to boot.

Double standard? 'Course, but Uncle Tony's been around long enough that he has that right, I guess.

Posted by: BMoreChil | February 17, 2011 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is nerf Dave Barry. He's not funny and his friends aren't funny and thus his show is just plain bad. Him covering for Snyder is unfortunately not news. I hope Feinstein gets a real forum to call him out because like him or not Feinstein still has integrity. Kornheiser is proven here to have none. He retired a long time ago.

Posted by: dcmusician2 | February 17, 2011 7:13 AM | Report abuse

First, Mr. Tony's 2 hour show beats anything else on talk radio for wit, unadulterated sarcasm and variety. Deal with it.

The only shame is that TK is uniquely qualified to get the little penguin on the phone, take the conversation to new places, poke a little fun at the mess Snyder has created and see if this man actually has a brain inside his head.

Which explains TK's dilemma...deep down, Tony knows Snyder is an empty suit. Why use his radio show to prove it conclusively? There's nothing to gain in the bargain.

Posted by: howjensen | February 17, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: howjensen | February 17, 2011 7:32 AM | Report abuse

That makes sense, Tony's a lot like Snyder, an arrogant little jerk. Also, Tony wants to make sure he doesn't get cut off from the food in the press box at FEDEX field.

Posted by: hammeresq | February 17, 2011 7:52 AM | Report abuse

TonyK the clown. Literal clown. He needs a big happy Redskins nose, Synder's skinny knickerbockers and Wilbon's size 18 shoe.

Posted by: tomass169 | February 17, 2011 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is being paid indirectly by Snyder - radio 980 is still owned by Dan Snuyder. Why would Kornheiser bite the hand that is feeding him?

Posted by: DavidAu | February 17, 2011 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Kornhole has never been a sports journalist. Ever.

Posted by: shanks1 | February 17, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"Tony about the money"

Tony is done! Post did not care to keep him on. (probley because he not worth the money he wanted lol)

I can't believe people actually listen to commercial talk radio or sports.

Thank goodness for wpfw.

Posted by: shamken | February 17, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that what Snyder is doing to the city paper?

And I still do not see how it anti-Semitic when Snyder is a Sciencetologist.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 17, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser, the arrogant nebisch actually believes he has accomplished great things which is why he is so arrogant. Look at all the clowns who are on TV and radio and he hasn't done so much. He doesn't allow criticism of Snyder but does not hesitate to jump all over other people including average Joes who don't have a forum to respond. I don't patronize any of the companies who advertise with him and am inclined to write to those sponsors and tell them so. That is how to realize a small measure of response to this put.

Posted by: chopin224 | February 17, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I've been a Kornheiser fan for a long time, but this stinks.
For all those who excuse him for not being a journalist, it's ridiculous that we no longer hold commentators to any kind of standard. Entertainment can't just be propaganda; there has to be some attempt to look at things objectively or else it's meaningless. When you are hobnobbing with the owners or players, that blindspot's enormous. When you not only refuse to criticize them, but aren't willing to debate them on your show, you're just shilling for them. What makes sports so engaging is that it's real; take away that authenticity and you're left with a WWF show. Ducking the topic of Snyder. Wow. Leaving Skins fans, who've suffered through his ownership for 11 years, out to dry.
Keep it up, Dan Steinberg.

Posted by: minorthread | February 17, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

This one caught me off guard as well. Long time listener to Tony's various radio gigs but something was up here. Funny that Tony is ok with demeaning attacks on the way women dress (a part time weather woman?) but pulls up short on the big story. Who's wearing the tawdry outfit now Tony?

Posted by: tslats | February 17, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Snyder's suit is a story, I get it. However, as a sports talk item it bores me to tears. If Tony were to talk about it then I would turn the channel to the Mike Wise show until the discussion was finished. It's not that I'm a Snyder apologist. It is simply that this story is not entertaining sports talk and Tony's show IS entertainment, it is not the news.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 17, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"...on Tony Kornheiser's radio show. A radio show that's largely devoted to the D.C. sports and media scene."

I'll preface this by saying that I do not listen to Kornheiser's show every day. That being said, I have NEVER heard him once talk about DC sports on his show, or in fact ANYTHING DC-related (other than national politics), unless he was somehow involved in the story. He never talks Caps, Nats, Skins, Wiz, DCU, etc. He never talks Hoyas, Terps, GM, GW, etc. Which is why I cannot understand why DC people seem to love him so much. I get more "local" coverage from other shows, both on 980 and JFK.

Posted by: RCBJr | February 17, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I guess Kornheiser knows where his bread is buttered.

There's just nothing like media integrity in this town.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 17, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mike8 | February 16, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

____

Lmao. That's just wrong.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 17, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Three things:

regxjin is dead on it--journalists talking to each other through the media is not news. It is journalists making themselves the news. I swear to God I'm beginning to think Woodward and Bernstein's opening of Pandora's box (this is when they showed a whole future generation of reporters that being a reporter was more than just being Lois Lane, that they could actually bring down a president) is more than destroying journalism.

I think Woodward and Bernstein elevated cultivating personality and dilettantism to coveted status. These are bad characteristics for esteemed citizens of a great country to emulate.

I've consistently found barno1 to be well-considered, and his belief that Feinstein is critically irresponsible is also dead-on. (In the past year I have grown to want Mike Wise added to the list).

However, barno1, please reconsider your stance on the name "Redskins." The Penn/Annenberg study you cited used this question

“The professional football team in Washington calls itself the
Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?”

I don't believe that any answers to this question are a proper gauge of whether the name is offensive to sampled pool. If someone called me up and asked if I found something offensive or doesn't it bother me, I'd almost automatically deny to anyone out loud that something bothers me--even if I found the "something" offensive.

I can see defending our keeping the name of our team, but I cannot see denying that it is a racial epithet. I personally believe this, and there is a federal ruling that "Redskins" has lost its trademark protection status because it is a racial epithet.

The history of the name (this phony "Lone Star Dietz" wikipedia bs) is irrelevant to this issue, because words change meaning and are affected by changing ameliorative and pejorative connotations (eg. "gay" "liberal" "fox news").

The issue isn't whether in the present moment "Redskins" is a racial epithet. As sure as up is up and down is down, "Redskins" is a racial epithet.

The issue is whether we care that much about it being a racial epithet.

I am a Redskin fan and I even remember the words that JKC changed in the fight song ("Scalp 'em swamp 'em, we will take 'em big score, Read 'em weep 'em, Touchdown, We want heap more"). I am STILL a Redskin fan and I would rather be a 0-16 Redskin fan than a 16-0 anyone-else fan.

I'm not picketing or marching downtown to get the name changed.

But, if it was my team?

My team wouldn't use a racial epithet as a nickname, for the same reason I don't want my kids to walk around with encrusted mucus on their sleeves.

Posted by: OldDad | February 17, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah, my 11:05PM post last night was in response to TusconSteve's.

Posted by: iubiquity | February 17, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I wrote this in LeVars Hard Hits column:
I hear about people saying Snyder is an idiot for this and for that. He is in my mind also. But, when I think about it, how does an owner make money to compete in the NFL. Say we slap a franchise tag on McNab (just an example) because he had a great season, we now owe him in the neighborhood of $23 million. And last year we did it with Portis (another example) thats another 16 million. Two players $39 million dollars. Thats a lot of hot dogs and T-shirts. Add in a free agent like Hanynesworth and you're over $55 million dollars. The owners are right to try to change the pay structure. This can not keep spiraling out of control. And the fans are right in saying they cant support the increases to continue to fuel this labor agreement.
While I am on the subject, Snyder is right to sue the journalist, we all wish we could sue these sorry sports writers for their lousy columns everyday. It is no longer journalism it is personal vendettas supported by the constitution, which gave them the right to report news, not use the news as a personal weapon to attack people. So for all of us less fortunate people I say spend your money and sue their butts. I can not believe I have written a kind word about Snyder, that just goes to show how bad the other side is.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 17, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Tony K is still relevant??

Really?

Posted by: jbanks979 | February 17, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Barno.

you are an idiot. I can wish for there to be unicorns but that doesn't mean they will sudden pop into existence. Same deal with your stupid colorblindness argument. You can say all you want that our society should be colorblind but that won't make it so. It won't change the fact that white families are worth 16 times more in this country than black families. 200 years of slavery followed by 100 years of discrimination does not go away because people like you say it does.

Our society is stratified with the African-American population on the bottom. You say we should ignore race but when confronted with a white society council jab you respond with a defense based entirely around your race and religion. Didn't even pretend to defend your views with anything of any intellectual merit. So much for colorblind.

Posted by: AskReeves22 | February 17, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Good for you, 1bmffwb, you actually read what McKenna wrote.

It is defamatory. The next question is, what is the value of an irreputable reputation? What is the compensable value of Snyder's reputation? If it's a dollar, like in the movie QBVII, that doesn't help him.

On the other hand, if the preexisting irreputable reputation was caused by prior defamatory comments, what then?

Snyder has to defend himself on the basis that if he doesn't, then he's a guy who doesn't stick up for himself when he should.

Snyder does a few right things--eg. he doesn't muzzle the espn980 guys who criticize him. He does want to win, and he does put his money where his mouth is.

No, he doesn't do things right enough. He tinkers, he's rockheaded, he does nothing publicly to ameliorate his excrutiating PR.

On the other hand, these are Guy Characteristics. I tinker, I'm a rockhead, and I let some pinheads run their mouths about me while I'm thinking "if someone wants to believe some BS over their direct impressions of the fine and memorably humorous times with me, then screw 'em."

Of course, I don't tinker with something that isn't all mine, or that I can't fix or replace, or that is important, like someone else's respirator in the hospital.

It's hard to stick up for a guy who doesn't stick up for himself.

On the other hand, the Redskins don't all belong to Snyder alone. The Redskins are also somewhat the long-time property of our community. Snyder may have the ability to tinker, but not the right to disrespectfully tinker.

If the man keeps fiddling with the dials of our figurative NFL respirator, then we ought to smack him and any of his defenders upside the head.

Posted by: OldDad | February 17, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me how much the public is susceptible to being handled. Daniel Snyder has done many things wrong and suing the WCP is probably one of them but not because he's wrong to sue. He's wrong because the media will hang him out to dry for it. The WCP deserves to be sued. But the problem is that once you strike out at the media they have the last word...always. Ths is just more evidence of it. If a newspaper were to falsely print that you had committed a felony my guess is you would at the very least ask for an apology. And if they refused to fix the error I'm guessing you would seek satisfaction in other ways. Newspapers are under an obligation to be 100% truthful. The WCP did not live up to this obligation. And no media site is going to call them on it.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 17, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Whether Snyder or the journalist is wrong...........I really don't care and I certainly don't want to listen to Tony or anybody else talk about it. How about those George Mason Patriots!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | February 17, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

TK belongs with the Danny. They are two of a kind.

Posted by: ftlmikeflorida | February 17, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

When I read the sports page, I want to read about the Redskins making moves to be a better football team, not so that I can read a 5 page article on Snyder, his business ethics or lack therof and a lawsuit he has chosen to file.

I have enough BS in my own life to deal with to want to sit there and listen to all of Snyder's issues being brought forward.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 17, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what's worse, that Cornhuckster won't allow discussion of Snyder -- or that he defends Mitch Albom and his bundled up Hallmark cards dipped in Karo syrup, rolled in sprinkles and packaged as inspirational bestsellers in Wal-Mart.

Kornheiser is now up there with Snyder on my list of D.C. Detestables.

Posted by: scrappledog | February 17, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Barno.

Posted by: AskReeves22 | February 17, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Reeves, it's you who is the idiot. Nowhere, not anywhere on the blogs nor at anytime in my life, have I ever said we are a colorblind society. Never did claim or imply racism doesn't still exist. Never have I stated or implied there aren't historical disadvantages nor did I imply we are past the time where the horrible effects of slavery are gone. You obviously have serious, serious reading comprehension issues.

" 200 years of slavery followed by 100 years of discrimination does not go away because people like you say it does."

No sh*t Sherlock. Who said that it did? Again, you are creating a straw man argument that I never made and then knocking that down. Why don't you try debating point for point with me instead of putting words in my mouth you unbelievable moron.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder is one of those guys Tony simply isn't going to go after--not because he's paid by him but because he likes him."

my god that was good for a laugh

Posted by: funkey | February 17, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

One whiny Jew, preventing another whiny Jew from bashing yet another whiny Jew.

Sounds like all the planets are in alignment to me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | February 17, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser, what an awful journalist.

Posted by: ozpunk | February 17, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser, what an awful journalist.

Posted by: ozpunk | February 17, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser, what an awful journalist.

Posted by: ozpunk | February 17, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Why is TK even a sports writer... he is a mna that goes to bed at 8:30pm every night... he has other people do his news for him and then has that whiny, I know everything... and when push comes to shove, he cowers down to who signs his checks... he probably is being told not too.... TK to me is not a sports reporter, just another Ron Burgundy who reads whats on the teleprompter... he is boring and his shows are painful... even Wilbon is starting to stink on that show... I stopped watching a while ago... it used to be a daily view for me.

Posted by: rvanags | February 17, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, appreciate this story and find it quite interesting.

Posted by: berkeleyhoya | February 17, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is the same sort of gutless twit that would refuse to publish Muhammad cartoons - he obviously learned his lesson of cowardice quite well from his WAPO buddies. Go hide Tony!!!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | February 17, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Steinz is funny when he is not grinding axes. Feinstein goes after Snyder, Kornheiser goes after Wise, Steinz goes after Kornheiser... it's all just an echo chamber of attempted one-upmanship.

Borring. BOG is losing its luster.

Posted by: hithere1 | February 17, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bfjam | February 17, 2011 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Gee Tony Korndog asked "Fiendstein" not to talk about Little Danny. But he says he in turn won't listen to anyone bad mouth Bobby Wife-beater Cox (look it up people) That's a real interesting comparison "Fiendstein."

Posted by: Dog-1 | February 17, 2011 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dog-1 | February 17, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

all three are from the same tribe so you will find bin laden at the 7-11 on rt.1 before you get any of these guys to be honest and transpearant and simply call that scum bag snyder what he is. kornheiser is a bald poodle and the need to shut him, mr. potato head wilbon and these other clowns out of the media. it is like politicians, they are all tired, old, and uninformative and definetly not funny. they are snyder tea baggers and for a check they will take one on the chin.

Posted by: doyouktt | February 17, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for bringing me up on Kornheiser. I suspected for years he was in the tank with Snyder but I don't listen to him nearly as much as I used to. You can't have my ear if you're not genuine. Wilbon who used to be all for "smashmouth" football said he wouldn't let his kid play football, too dangerous. I'm done with him. Kornheiser's helping a guy who lives in la-la land and is killing the Redskins. Done with 'em both.

Posted by: kls1 | February 17, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, now that I think about it, it's almost certain that Kornheiser is serving as a paid marketing/media adviser to Snyder, and probably told Danny to go ahead with this lawsuit. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he could actually be named as a party. That would explain the silence policy.

Posted by: kls1 | February 17, 2011 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Tony won't criticize Danny not because they're "friends". It's because he's on the payroll. Tony Kornheiser is a bought-and-paid-for journalist. If this wasn't sports, it would be a scandal.

Imagine if a political reporter announced that he wouldn't allow discussion of Sarah Palin on his show. Not just wouldn't allow criticism -- wouldn't allow her to be addressed at all. That's not journalism.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | February 19, 2011 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser, Wilbon, Jurgensen, Lindsay Czarniak and plenty others are on Danny's payroll. I was watching some sports show on NBC called "Capital Games". It should have been called "The Let's Kiss Danny's Butt Show". These people were claiming that Danny had NOTHING to do with the Haynesworth and McNabb cantracts and knew nothing about it until they were signed. Later in the show, Lindsay Czarniak was having a nice and polite interview with Danny and Jerry Jones at the Superbowl.

I don't even waste my time reading, watching or listening to any local sports media.

Posted by: RalphZero | February 19, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Obviously there are a large number of small minded individuals who read this tripe and agree with the "you're either with us or agin us" mentality you display. Do not count me among them.

To start with McKenna's article was vicious, personal in nature, mostly a rehash of old news. As much as I dislike much what Snyder has done to the Redskins under his stewardship, the timing of the article (after Snyder had hired Allen and Shanahan and turned over football operations to reasonably respected pros) amounted to nothing more than picking scabs off old wounds that were starting to heal. I think it was a cheap shot.

I don't blame Snyder a bit for being pissed and suing. The media in general is little different that any other special interest group. Groups tend to support and protect their own regardless of whether they are actually morally or legally right. So be it...This is human nature, but to attack someone (Kornheiser) not because he is defending Snyder, but solely because he declines to pile on and kick him for taking on one of the journalistic brotherhood, is about as juvenile as it gets. Kind of like the original McKenna article. You both need to grow up.

Posted by: worgadd1 | February 19, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: worgadd1 | February 19, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Daniel Snyder is like anyone else - he makes mistakes and seems to be learning from them. Yes he is rich, but that is not a bad thing. Yes he is very confident, which is probably one reason he is rich. Yes he owns the Redskins, which we wish we did. So for me I root for the team, and don't really care who owns the team, as long as they aren't cheapskates. I'm sure he probably does wonderful charitable things too, he just keeps them private as they should be. So for this lifelong Redskin fan I am with Mr. Tony on this one. As our mother used to say - if you can't say something nice...

Posted by: bfjam"

-------------------------------------------------

bfjiam, along with worgadd1...are two of Snyder's BM-Eaters at Extremeskins. On one very small and microscopic level you must pity these pathetic and execrable creatures and their job of defending the malignant and pestilential dwarf.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 19, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I might fall for someone sticking up for Snyder, but these last two posts, just, please get real. Snyers keeps his charitable contributions to himself? What? Kornheiser can get paid by the people he reports on? Who ARE you?

Posted by: kls1 | February 19, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes -- could the Post possibly put some sort of notice there on "Submit," like, "Your post went through, but nothing will happen for about 60 seconds." These boards are always full of people posting twice or three times, it catches me, too.

Posted by: kls1 | February 19, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sports censorship in our nation's capital...say it ain't so, Joe!

Posted by: JCM-51 | February 20, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how many people don't know how Snyder owns the media in DC.
Like much of the DC media, TK is an EMPLOYEE of Dannie Snyder. He also is a toady who butters up the rich and powerful and does not have much use for anybody else, including his listeners. He is a nasty little man who had the author of the CP article fired from a part time job at the WP for criticizing him.
Most of those Snyder has not hired are also fearful they may lose access or future job opportunities by criticizing him. If you want honest reporting on Danny and his team, watch John Riggins, not TK and AM 980.
The only people taking Dannie's side on this are his employees. And yes, he has a history of having them post on boards like this.

Posted by: jos587 | February 21, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

No one said Tony was stupid. He is smart, smart like a fox! he is whistling and skipping with his big o bag of money all the way to the bank. i mean, really, who among us would speak out against the hand that feeds us? If I just got the prime luxury seating at all the home Skins games, not counting working for him, that would be enough to love danny too!

Posted by: csquare67 | February 23, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse