Posted at 2:31 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Feinstein, Kornheiser and Snyder, Day II

By Dan Steinberg

If you'll excuse me for a moment, this item involves a Washington Post staffer transcribing an interview between one Washington Post staffer and one Washington Post freelancer staffer about an ex-Washington Post staffer. If that kind of thing turns you off -- and clearly, for many of you, it will -- stop reading right now. Go outside. It's lovely out. Maybe try some gelato.

Ok? Everyone gone? So, on Wednesday, John Feinstein put a few paragraphs about Tony Kornheiser and Dan Snyder at the bottom of a blog entry about Tiger Woods. The gist was, Kornheiser had asked Feinstein not to discuss Snyder on his radio show, which is why the two never got around to talking about the City Paper lawsuit.

So I wrote about this. So did Pro Football Talk. So did Deadspin. So did WTOP, whose Kornheiser-Snyder item is actually the No. 2 most read story on its site as I type this. WTOP actually reached out to Kornheiser for comment; "Tony is going to take a pass on this," his producer, Marc Sterne, told the station.

But if Kornheiser's morning sports-talk show won't discuss the issue, Mike Wise's rival morning sports-talk show will certainly discuss Kornheiser not discussing it. Hence, Feinstein showed up on 106.7 The Fan on Thursday to answer Kornheiser-Snyder questions.

"It is frustrating, and that's why I said I was queasy about it," Feinstein told Wise. "I wrote [the blog item] basically because so many people had said 'Why won't Tony bring this up with you?' and specifically said, 'Does he not want you to talk about this?' That's why I said, no he doesn't, and I respect that, because it's his show, and he has a relationship with Snyder....

"The thing you have to do when you do what we do is understand that you have biases, try to be aware of them and try to be fair to them. I try to be fair to Dan Snyder even though I don't like him personally. If he ever does do something right, I would hope I would acknowledge that. In fact, I think I said Shanahan was a good hire. But I think that Tony's getting criticized for not even talking about this story, and I agree with that, I have told Tony that. I'm not talking behind his back. But as I said before, it is his show, and you're entitled to talk about what you want to or don't want to, as long as you're willing to accept the criticism that comes with those decisions, whatever they might be."

Feinstein pointed out that other Red Zebra employees have discussed the City Paper lawsuit, and have been harshly critical of Snyder. And he pointed out that Kornheiser considers himself more of an entertainer than a journalist, now that he has no connection to The Washington Post. And yet he said you still have to draw lines.

"You know, he kind of plays a journalist on ESPN five days a week," Feinstein said. "So there's a little bit of a line there. Tony, for example, has gone and sat in Dan Snyder's box. Because of my relationship with Steve Bisciotti from when I did the Ravens book, he has invited me to sit in his box. I won't do it. I don't think I belong there. If I'm going to a Ravens game and I have a media pass, I should sit in the press box. That's why I'm there. That's why I'm allowed into the stadium. Dan Snyder's daughter and my daughter go to the same school. And guess what, even if Dan Snyder and I didn't dislike each other intensely, I don't want to socialize with Dan Snyder, because I have to write about him and I have to talk about him."

And if you haven't gotten your fill of Post people writing about Post people talking about Post people, I should point out that ex-Post columnist Len Shapiro -- who joined CSNWashington.com as a contributor this week -- also discussed the issue on Wise's show.

"Tony and everybody else over at the station is in a real tight spot; the guy who's paying their check is acting like a moron, and they're really not allowed to talk about it," said Shapiro, a longtime sports media critic. "They can say all they want that there's nothing on high about let's lay off Mr. Snyder, but I suspect that if Tony were to [say] what almost everyone else is saying these days, it would have to be critical of a guy who is really trying to trample on the First Amendment rights of the City Paper and Dave McKenna. I'm troubled by it, of course I am....

"If you can't [criticize Snyder] on his own radio station, then maybe -- not maybe -- I think you lose some credibility. Why would listeners want to keep listening to a station where the hosts are not gonna be totally objective and be critical, even if the guy who pays their checks owns the station?"

By Dan Steinberg  | February 17, 2011; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eagles president on McNabb, Shanahan
Next: Virginia celebrates the Redskins

Comments

Feinstein is such an asshat.

How he got away with saying the following is an absolute joke:

(And I don't care that other quick race card draws like Wilbon did the same. No excuse for such unsubstantiated and slanderous claims.)

“The first spin is that he doesn’t know the terminology of the two-minute offense, i.e. he’s stupid. The next day, it’s, well, his cardiovascular, he’s out of shape, i.e. he’s fat. Now, he’s leaking to Chris Mortensen … that we had to cut the playbook in half because of McNabb. I think there’s racial coding going on here, and it’s my belief that that kind of behavior is worth firing a coach for. Dan Snyder’s not gonna do it, but I think it’s out of control.”

Posted by: PropJoe | February 17, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Nobody actually thinks ESPN blather shows have journalistic values, do they?

Posted by: JkR- | February 17, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein is tired and old. Steinberg must be dating David Mckenna. They are both obsessed with hating on Dan Snyder. It's sad. Get a life...there must be something else you blog about. Anyone with a computer can blog. How about we drag your family into this and accuse you of forgery. I am Jewish....so it must be OK. Stupidest arguement in the world. Why dont you guys get girlfriends and be happy.

Posted by: frownupon | February 17, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

It's a two hour show each day and they aren't exactly short on content. I listen b/c it makes me laugh. I enjoy being entertained by the show. We'll all survive if one talking head passes on a story that we've heard a bazillion words already dispensed on. I think the only people who truly care about Tony not talking about this are other journalists who feel obligated to talk about it b/c they don't have the benefit that Tony does in determining what goes into his own show.

Posted by: jbakerman | February 17, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodie, more of the same.. running short on original material are we, Steiny? Korndog doesn't want to rehash more Snyder talk? Wow! Truly groundbreaking, earth-shattering coverage! Oh yeah, did you hear.. Bret Favre retired.

Posted by: iubiquity | February 17, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, the thing is that Snyder is the biggest lightning rod for discussion in the area so he'll continue to be the focus on blogs, radio stations, etc. He's not even a polarizing figure since you can clearly see 90% of comments, hack sports tv anchors, underachieving sports columnists, etc (every once in a while you'll have an actual competent writer or tv personality make valid criticisms of him without showing their biases, unlike a Feinstein). all severely dislike him. I don't blame them, I suppose. All that equals ratings, page views, etc. Snyder deserves harsh criticism, no doubt. Lots of rocks being thrown from glass houses, that's for sure.

Posted by: PropJoe | February 17, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I dont have a radio show and care greatly about this. Seriously. It really bothers me that Tony would ask Feinstein not to speak about the lawsuit. Certainly Tony is not obligated to speak about, but he should allow others to bring it up.

I am a huge TK fan, but this really bugs me. Thanks for the continued coverage Dan.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 17, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

jbakerman, so you have no problem with ESPN not talking about Roethlisberger's off the field incidents because they have plenty to talk about and everyone else was discussing it?

Posted by: NFeKPo | February 17, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PropJoe
"Feinstein is such an asshat."

No matter what we think of Feinstein, Snyder, Kornheiser or Steinz, I think we should all agree that "asshat" is the funniest damn word there is.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | February 17, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Kornheiser have beef with McKenna from way back anyway? Is he still holding that grudge?

Posted by: tha_prophet | February 17, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

LOL jbakerman. i completely agree with you.

Posted by: destewar | February 17, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Fat, bald, and orange is still better than Larry Michaels.

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 17, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Only slightly related, it is sad that Lenny Shapiro, a member of the media, doesn't know what the First Amendment actually is. It doesn't allow the press to publish whatever they want about whomever they want to publish it. Whether or not Snyder's lawsuit holds any water, he is not trampling any First Amendment rights. Now,, he may be attempting to use his financial leverage to get a third-party to do what he wants it to do, but that's a separate matter and has nothing to do with the First Amendment. The First Amendment only applies to the government (government interference with the press).

Posted by: gkronenberg | February 17, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Michael Vick canceled his Oprah Winfrey interview. Isn't that controlling the media...Stiein is not blogging about that every hour. Shocker !!

Posted by: frownupon | February 17, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It's not about who owns the station, I don't think.

Sheehan and Lovero, and Czabe (not that no-good weasel Pollin) all criticize Snyder pretty harshly.

Sounds like this is more about Danny and Tk's friendship, or something more.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | February 17, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@gkronenberg

The Clique knows full well that the First Amendment is not in play here. But the Frist Amendment is a very useful tool for The Clique to convince others to rally around one of their own members as they close ranks around the same.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 17, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And the response is to bash John F.? I don't get it. For the record, I hope Dan Snyder gets a really bad headache. Or maybe chickenpox.

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 17, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Did everyone just read the same post I did? So Snyder does something that almost 100% of the media, specially here in D.C, has commented about and Tony K. does not. That deserves criticism."

NOBODY IS SAFE. And it should always be that way. F media members protecting each other. Call a spade a spade.

and off-topic..I agree with some earlier post... when is the WaPo online going to get rid of this comments functionality that was written back in 2002. Seriously, barely anybody reads the print newspapers anymore, you might as well get your stuff together online.

Posted by: PropJoe | February 17, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Good for Fenistein, Snyder is a complete creep and the fact that Kornheiser is carrying water for him should be made public. Tony Kornheiser = Larry Michael.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 17, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Lavar sold out to Snyder and proved he's a stooge
Kornheiser won't slam Snyder so he's a stooge too
Wilbon was always critical of Snyder, but heaven forbid you point out how lousy a person his idol Michael Jordan is so he's just another stooge

in fact, outside of Steinberg, Czaban, and the Junkies, it seems like just about everyone in this town is incapable of calling it down the middle.

Bunch of puppets disguised as "journalists"

Posted by: tylerjeffries | February 17, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"It is his show, and you're entitled to talk about what you want to" -John Feinstein
----------------------------------------

"I respect that, because it's his show, and he has a relationship with Snyder...." -John Feinstein

----------------------------------------

"If you tell me something bad about Paul Goydos or Tom Watson or Gary Williams or Mike Krzyzewski or Mary Carillo or Joe Torre or Bobby Cox I'm not going to listen. Snyder is one of those guys for Tony. So is Mitch Albom, who we also disagree on. If I had a show and he wanted to come on and rip Watson's politics, I'd probably say, 'look, I'm sure I agree with you but the guy is my friend so let's not go there.' And he wouldn't go there. So, Tony and I don't talk about Snyder." -John Feinstein

----------------------------------------

"Tony Kornheiser has specifically asked me not to bring up Dan Snyder on his show. I feel queasy about this" -John Feinstein

Seems that a certain someone is talking out of both sides of his big mouth...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Steve Bisciotti...has invited me to sit in his box. I won't do it. I don't think I belong there. If I'm going to a Ravens game and I have a media pass, I should sit in the press box. That's why I'm there. That's why I'm allowed into the stadium. Dan Snyder's daughter and my daughter go to the same school. And guess what, even if Dan Snyder and I didn't dislike each other intensely, I don't want to socialize with Dan Snyder, because I have to write about him and I have to talk about him." -John Feinstein
-----------------------------------------

"If you tell me something bad about Paul Goydos or Tom Watson or Gary Williams or Mike Krzyzewski or Mary Carillo or Joe Torre or Bobby Cox I'm not going to listen." -John Feinstein
------------------------------------------

Well it's a good thing a man of such upstanding moral character and journalistic integrity doesn't ever have to write about guys like Gary Williams, otherwise his credibility and objectivity might come into question...

Oh wait...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

How'd I guess a thread about Feinstein would bring Danny-Boy's #1 fan out?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 17, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we just have too many sports talk shows. But these "journalists" who claim a sense of objectivity and then sit in an owner's box for the big game, sorry it doesn't work that way. I'm not a big fan of Snyder, Wilbon or Tony K. I haven't heard Feinstein enough to have a good or bad impression. The one thing about the Junkies, they give you full disclosure. They tell you if they like someone and why.

Posted by: Redtopper2 | February 17, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I know you read all my comments so I'm sure you've seen me repeatedly say I don't agree with his decision to sue. My mocking Feinstein has nothing to do with Snyder.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

TK sitting in Danny's luxury suite reminds me of how a number of tv "journalists" have been seduced/brainwashed by their wealthy employers over the years (just watch the parody of this on 30 Rock as Alec Baldwin mentors Tina Fey). They get their talking points out there this way, and their employees get so used to access and money and perks that they don't want to go back to living like the rest of us.

Since coming back on radio TK has gone on numerous rants about how he, TK, embodies the American Dream, how his life is totally different from ours, how he feels demonized as a rich person (I bet that came straight from Danny's mouth--too bad Mr. Snyder doesn't realize he's being demonized for his terrible judgment and pettiness), and how he never wants to go back to being a regular person. And you have to remember that TK is off the WaPo, no longer has any books out there, his TV series Listen Up lasted two minutes, and he got fired from Monday Night Football. He's a LOCAL radio guy and he's got PTI, and that's it. Pretty good, but no longer a superstar. Which is where Danny comes in--TK needs to keep his "Mr. Tony" persona going so he can still go on the air and ask for theater tickets and whatnot, and keep the limos and wine coming his way (these are all things he talks about regularly on his show). Mr. Snyder is one of Tony's few remaining tickets to the limelight, and that's more important to him than shining the light on Mr. Snyder, his friend, whom he once criticized pretty harshly on his old radio show.

So, it's weak stuff, and disappointing. The TK Show has its moments (did a pretty good job of talking about the crisis in the Middle East this morning, for example), but there's WAY too much of Tony talking about Tony. Way too much. Ten seconds in to one of his "I embody the dream" rants which incorporate some uninformed right wing talking points half the time, and I'm onto another station.

And it ain't good that Snyder owns ESPN 980. We get way less criticism of him--sure they discuss things, but they're careful, very careful to not cross the line.

Posted by: preacherskid | February 17, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

This is so stupid. You only need to listen to The Sports Reporters with Czaban and Andy to know that Snyder-bashing is not discouraged by Red Zebra. So stupid to think that just because Tony won't do it, the order must have come down from Snyder.

Posted by: tundey | February 17, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is only a slightly smaller tool than Wilbon the race hustling mouthpiece. Fact is were Kornheiser Snyder's friend he should freely defend him rather than avoid the subject altogether.

Posted by: Soupcan | February 17, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Steinz is funny when he is not grinding axes. Feinstein goes after Snyder, Kornheiser goes after Wise, Steinz goes after Kornheiser... it's all just an echo chamber of attempted one-upmanship.

Borring. BOG is losing its luster.

Posted by: hithere1 | February 17, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Let me repeat - Tony's show is not a news show, hell half of the days of the week, you wouldn't even be able to figure out it's got a sports connection (what with all of the plugs for windows, bagels, ice cream, sandwiches, and various monkey references). It's pure pop-culture. Might as well call it Tony Talking To His Friends. No Snyder? Works for me!

Posted by: jbakerman | February 17, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

It's hilarious that the Washington Post/106.7 guys (minus the junkies) talk about how people can't talk bad about Snyder, when it's all they do. They are totally obsessed. I have heard Feinstein and Tony talk about Snyder in the past. Feinstein HATES Snyder, so why would tony ask the guy for an objective opinion when he knows he is incapable of giving it. Tony is one of the few sports guys that doesnt use Snyder for cheap tricks, now they are trying to take him down.

What's great is that people are starting to get tired of it all. They are catching on and catching on quickly. Just wait for the Redskins to start winning and watch Wise and Steinberg try to tap dance. What will they write/talk about then?

Posted by: Hondo5 | February 17, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I picture Kornheiser at this point in his career looking at his bank account and peering into retirement and saying, 'OK, Mr. Snyder, I'm putting my trust in you.' Tony? Prepare to be disappointed.

Posted by: clocker58 | February 17, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

sounds like TK has gone to the dark side. I used to be entertained by PTI but listen to the John Riggins show instead. Wilbon is ok, but TK is too hard to take. I have never listened to his radio show. Perhaps if he did take on hard subjects like Snyder's dismantling of the positive image the redskins once had, TK would have more credibility as a sports entertainer.

Posted by: DavidAu | February 17, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@gkronenberg where do you get off? Are you one of Danny boys' A..lickers? Do you have tea & crumpets w/ him at his palace at 11900 River Rd. in Potomac? It's OK for him to fire and criticize employees and use the 1st Amendment as a defense when they sue him. But if somebody critisizes Danny boy in the media, then the 1st Amendment does not apply? So it can only be used by people agaist the government and by rich jerks? Bet you are too much of a Danny boy A..licker to answer.

Posted by: MPPW | February 18, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow. The Redskins employees are out in full force today defending their retarded little midget who lucked into money and bought a team he has now destroyed.

You idiots know the Post can see the IP address of the posts, right? The vast majority of the supportive comments - outside of the truly moronic Barno1, who simply has no excuse for his stupidity - have IP addresses from, you guessed it...Ashburn, Virginia.

Posted by: thediesel | February 18, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So nobody else lives in Ashburn but Redskins employees. What a genius. Is Washington Post that paranoid that they check IP addresses ? Get over yourself.

Steinberg, Feinstein and Mckenna are the three stooges. They even look like them.

It's sad that three grown men are that obsessed with another man. They must not have any ladies in their life. Sad and Lonely.

Posted by: frownupon | February 18, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So this is where all the TK fans post after the TK show is over. I was wondering what you did in your off hours.

Love Feinstein. Love him on TK's show. Love his blog. Love the fact that he is one of the few remaining "reporters" who can still claim that title and write well at the same time.

Keep up the good work Dan. Snyder deserves the heat.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 18, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Geat job Dan for having an obsessive compulsive disorder about Dan Snyder. Something to be proud of.

Posted by: frownupon | February 18, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse