Posted at 9:31 AM ET, 02/24/2011

George Mason pep band plays Rage Against the Machine

By Dan Steinberg

Any longtime reader of this here blog knows I have a soft spot for Doc Nix and the Green Machine, otherwise known as the George Mason pep band. I mean, every sports reporter who's ever seen or heard these guys has a soft spot for them. Likewise every sentient human. Likewise Bill Murray.

So when I heard the Green Machine has recently added a Rage Against the Machine medley to their songbook, I was understandably curious.

"A new arrangement by our Assistant Director Jeremy Freer," Doc Nix e-mailed me. "Rocked it for the first time at the JMU game. Bulls on Parade mashed up with Killing in the Name. Haven't had a rapper in the band for a while so it's good to have that back."

Indeed. Indeed it is. This video comes via Tom Block, chairman of the Green Machine Boosters. See more of the band's work on his Twitter feed, or at its Web site.

In other news, the CAA and Doc Nix have organized the conference's first ever Pep Band Jam, running in conjunction with the upcoming CAA tourney in Richmond. The initial event will feature the bands of Mason, JMU, VCU and Old Dominion, but he hopes to make it a 12-team party in the future.

"All 12 of us rocking together at the same time, a show like no other!" he described. "All the collaboration and cooperation infused with the individual creativity of each group, and, of course, the competitive spirit that brought us all together. Not a battle or competition, but a showcase for all of our talented, hard-working groups."

This year's event is a week from Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at the Richmond Convention Center.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 24, 2011; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Terps and their crowd
Next: Another look at Baltche

Comments

girl in red is having a little too much fun especially for a flute player.

Posted by: shnooogen | February 24, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

thanks dan!!!! :-D

Posted by: kanona82 | February 24, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Awesome.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 24, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I was totally into this video after I realized I could just hold my thumb in front of Girl In Red

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | February 24, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nobody rocks out harder than that girl in the red. That is truly incredible.

Posted by: Ol_Brob | February 24, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

that girl's got the Rage in her. good for Mason. their pep band rocks.

Posted by: destewar | February 24, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen a flute player as excited as Girl In Red since Alyson Hannigan went to band camp in American Pie.

Posted by: mercedeskk | February 24, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought flute players had all the fun, like that one time at band camp...

Posted by: Sportaholic | February 24, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The sound quality of the recording doesn't do the performance justice. See them live and prepare to be awed.

Posted by: bj7499 | February 24, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

P.S. - Girl in Red, make my babies please.

Posted by: bj7499 | February 24, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Also, would prefer not to have the singing. It will never be as good as the sound of the band alone.

Posted by: bj7499 | February 24, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

and this one time in band camp....

Posted by: MrWillie | February 24, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I am totally down with the Girl in Red now that I realize, she was, like, 7 when Rage broke up and probably in utero when Killing came out.

Parents of GiR: ya done good here.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 24, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and also: isn't GiR a piccolo player (piccolist?) vice a flautist? Tough to tell from the vid . . .

(I ask this as someone who never, ever got within 50 miles of a band camp, not that there's anything wrong with that, as AP proved.)

TOTALLY hidden gem now that I've spent way too much time scrutinizing this: check out the rapper. Own it, big man. Pure class.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 24, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The Girl in Red has been the superstar of the band all year. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I watch her during every song.

I can't wait to see her in her green and gold war paint tonight. She is worth the price of admission.

Posted by: trstvns | February 24, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you gotta interview girl in red. Doc is great but that chick is awesome

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 24, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The Green machine can't be beat and has been Mason's secret weapon for years.
Doc Nix be pimpin'!
GO, MASON!

Posted by: WaPoPimp | February 24, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The Green machine can't be beat and has been Mason's secret weapon for years.
Doc Nix be pimpin'!
GO, MASON!

Posted by: WaPoPimp | February 24, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I can't turn away. Like a moth to a flame. It's like "you do what they told ya."

Posted by: terlin1 | February 24, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Girl in Red does not have to ask anyone if it rocks. Girl in Red decides for herself, and ROCKS.

Posted by: TyroneSlothrop | February 25, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The singing sucks and is totally unnecessary.

Should have mixed Freedom in there, too

Posted by: LD_fan82 | February 25, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse