Posted at 1:24 PM ET, 02/18/2011

Greivis still calls College Park "my house"

By Dan Steinberg

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Greivis Vasquez spent much of his four years in College Park talking about how much he loved Gary Williams. He's gone now -- although he's back this week to get his jersey raised to the rafters -- but Greivis is still talking about how much he loves Gary Williams.

Like, during a Friday morning appearance on the Junkies, he was asked about the worst time Williams ever chewed him out.

"To be honest, I don't even remember," Vasquez said. "I think a lot of kids and recruits and players get that wrong. G-Dub don't yell at nobody. I mean, maybe the assistant coaches every now and then, he goes crazy on the bench, but the man won a championship. The man won an ACC tournament. The man won the regular season. The man got ACC players, first-round picks, first picks of the draft. I mean, he knows what it takes.

"And yeah, he's not gonna praise recruits, he's gonna tell guys 'You want to come to Maryland, because I can make you a player. Just look at Greivis Vasquez. You know, I made him a player.' He can say that. I mean, he never yelled at me. I think one of the reasons I'm here, for that matter, one of the reasons I have a remarkable career is just because he always had my back. He still has my back. You know, he's still in touch with me, he still calls me, we're still close. More than anything, we're friends, and I support everything he does."

And if Greivis still loves Gary, he also still loves College Park.

"This is my house, man; this is where I want to live the rest of my life," he said. "I mean, not in College Park, but around Maryland. It means a lot to me. It means a lot to me when I'm back here, especially with the people that love me, our fans, and the people that really care about me and support me in good times and bad times....

"I miss college, man. I miss being around here. Even in the NBA, even on our team, we talk about college basketball in the locker room a lot. We stay after practice, we always talk about that, because that's what you remember.....I'm just happy to be back. This is my house. This is where I love being. I'm just really, really excited."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 18, 2011; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball, Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Wise dancing
Next: Chris Cooley's Super Bowl party

Comments

I hope he breaks out a shimmy shake or two

Posted by: Skinssss21 | February 18, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ha. 3 opening round losses in the ACC tournament; 1 NIT appearance; and 3 second round defeats in the NCAA tournament.

Anytime you have a player that good, you HAVE to retire his jersey.

I weep for our program.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 18, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Because team accomplishments = player accomplishments, right?? Greivis was one of the greatest Terrapin basketball players ever, and there's literally zero shame in that. He is and was a great player and person.

Posted by: adam32 | February 18, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Only player in the history of college basketball to amass at least 2,000 career points, 700 career assists and 600 career rebounds. Only player in the nation to average at least 18 points and 6 assists last year. Second All-Time leading scorer in Maryland history. 5th Terp to win ACC Player of the Year. 3-time All ACC selection. Lead Terps to share of the ACC title and 3 NCAA tournament appearances.

Oh yeah, you just gotta weep for a program that retires a jersey from a guy like that.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Greivis went out fighting too. In the ncaa tourney game against eventual Final Four team Michigan State, in the final 4 minutes of MD's 17 point comeback, Greivis had 14 points, 2 steals, and 2 assists. Not likely to be repeated in an NCAA tourney game anytime soon. They'd have been talking about it for years and years, probably showing clips of it every March during the tourney, if that 3 at the buzzer hadn't gone it. It was a historic performance but it will largely get erased from people's minds because of that shot at the buzzer.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

lol: "I mean, not in College Park...."

Posted by: hockeypunk | February 18, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

BALL HOG. He never made anyone around him better. He was only out for himself. He only got the numbers because he stuck around like foot fungus.

Vasquez = Marylands JJ Reddick

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 18, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

...and I guess Scoonie thinks Dan Marino sucked too, and not a Hall of Famer, because he never won a Super Bowl.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 18, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Ball hog? Can you please explain how you can have the second most assists in Maryland history and be a ball hog?

As far as not making anyone better, I think DJ Strawberry and Mike Jones might disagree with you--both had by far their best seasons at Maryland the only season they played alongside Greivis.

As for his impact on the team, last year we were a top 25 team and won a share of the ACC title along with the eventual National Champs. This year we are not even a bubble team at the moment. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Vasquez's departure tho...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jordan was a ball hog too. And Kobe Bryant is the biggest ball hog ever.

Posted by: terp4lifer | February 18, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

My bad. I didn't realize Vasquez is to college hoops as Marino is to the NFL and Jordan & Kobe are to the NBA.

NEVER MADE A SWEET 16.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 18, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Walt Williams never made a Sweet 16 either. That MUST mean he isn't one of the all time great terps.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Essentially Scoonie is saying that because the Michigan State player hit that 3 pointer at the buzzer--which prevented the Terps from making the Sweet 16--Greivis Vasquez isn't an all time great terp.

Some people just don't think their comments through before posting.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Walt Williams came to a program that was in shambles. And the college game was a lot different compared to today.

Greivis lingered like a stale fart and got some nice numbers. He's a loser.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 18, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I wish I could drop the stats on scoonie like you do. With each of his attempts at responding to you he demonstrates how ignorant he is. Here's my question, does scoonie actually call himself a Md fan? If so, why are you being so negative? If not, you must really have no life if you have so much time to comb the WaPo and then comment on stories about teams you don't even support. Vasquez improved tremendously in each of his 4 years at Md. it was awesome to watch him grow. Don't try to argue his stats or his value to his team.

Posted by: TerpsfanstuckinNC | February 18, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terp4lifer | February 18, 2011 2:40 PM
============

hahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, you got us all. Greivis is way better (or at the very least on the same level as) both Kobe and MJ........

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 18, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing, if you don't appreciate GV and what he meant to the program, you aren't really a MD fan. He's everything you can ask for from a player. He stayed for 4 years, improved every year and graduated. He is the type of player that distinguishes us from say the Calipari Memphis teams. We are a team full of grinders and underdogs. That's what makes it even sweeter when we win. We actually have people we can be proud to call alums. You don't hear Tyreke Evans or Derrick Rose talking about Memphis like GV talks about MD. Either embrace who we are or don't pretend to be a Terp.

Posted by: nyterp | February 18, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Love you Greivis! Come chill at my place in cp anytime u want ;)

Posted by: Braaaaah | February 21, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Man, I am really surprised by the hate for Greivis. There were some maddening moments along the way w/ GV, but his senior year was incredible and a very fun ride. He deserves to have his jersey raised. Congrats amigo.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 21, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse