Posted at 7:21 AM ET, 02/28/2011

Here's Gary Williams sweating

By Dan Steinberg

The whole "Sweat Gary Sweat" thing is childish, cliched, immature, unoriginal, irrelevant, cheap, lame, boring, juvenile and crass.

But it's also true that the man sweats a lot. This was what he looked like during his halftime interview on Sunday evening. The still image really doesn't do justice to the amount of glistening that was going on. That's above average sweating, right there.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 28, 2011; 7:21 AM ET
Categories:  Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nick Young's crazy 360-degree layup
Next: Sports Illustrated on Ovechkin: A "Falling Star"

Comments

This man needs to invest in more breathable and lightweight fabrics.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | February 28, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

A future Hall of Famer deserves a little more respect than this childish waste of bandwidth. I miss the days when mature men were columnists for this formerly great newspaper. Shame on you.

Posted by: cfht | February 28, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

He's one of the greatest coaches, in any sport, at any level, in the country. He can sweat as my coach any day.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 28, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Barno1

Maybe you can rub up against him sometime and get that sweat all over you! Bet you'd love that.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Boy if only sweating directly correlated to winning.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 28, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I always said Barno had a woodie for him but to see him say it himself, he wins the award for Biggest Garylover/latent homo ever! Congrats Barno! Good for you for having the balls to come out of the closet, very proud of you young man!

Posted by: cm88 | February 28, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I beg to differ...Barno has some competition for "The award for Biggest Garylover/latent homo ever!"

I believe that would be me. I get goosebumps when he steps on the hardwood at Comcast, in his 22nd season. His fistpump is really a middle finger to all the haters.

Coach wins without All-American$, without catering to AAU peddlers like Lewis and Malone. Without a hint of impropriety....And still competes with he very best in the land. Gary, that horrible sweater and recruiter went to back to back final fours without one McD All-AA burger boy.

Suck on that for a minute...

fist pump to all y'all

Posted by: cfht | February 28, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I dunno if a 18-11 record is all that much to celebrate.

So take that fist pump of yours and sit on it. No seriously, sit on it, since you know, you admitted to having man-crushes.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 28, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | February 28, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Saying that Gary is a great coach and can be your coach anytime makes you a "latent homo"?

I know we've discussed this before, but it bares repeating. cm88 is the very worst kind of fan there is. He admits he hasn't stepped foot inside Comcast Center in years and then finally does ONE time this year...to see the Duke game. Talk about a frontrunning fairweather fan. All season long he has been mocking our recruiting class, mocking Gary, mocking the fans...calling for the firing of our HOF-bound coach--even though there is zero chance whatsoever that Gary will ever be fired from UmD.

To summarize: CM88 is simply not very intelligent

Posted by: Barno1 | February 28, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, give Gary a break. In fairness his current level of sweating is nothing compared to back in the early '90s, when if he forgot to take off the jacket in time, he'd sweat right through it--armpits and back.
Gary can coach, though; no question.
No question.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | February 28, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, not going to games makes you no longer a fan, so I guess the thousands that arent showing up for MD games because the cost to quality of product is too high, so now they arent fans either. Gotcha, that makes sense, but at least you are a true Gary fan, so maybe you should drink some of his sweat, be careful driving home afterwards, you may get a DUI.

I dont remember Mocking our Recruiting class, but I do remember saying I wish we could get better recruits, but if you can show a post that I mocked the kids, please show it.

Also, I dont remember Mocking fans, other than fans that have boyish crushes on the coach, so again please show that post.

And yes, I do mock Gary, because he is a drunk, terrible/lazy recruiting, old jerkoff that likes to berate and curse at teenage kids. Other than that, I love the guy :)

One of these days you will make a good point or win a debate, I am pulling for you Barno :)

Posted by: cm88 | February 28, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

John Thompson I has Gary Williams beat in the sweat department. The man used to carry a towel with him to all the games he sweat so much.

Posted by: Thundershock | February 28, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Should we just go ahead and start nominating the All-Time All-Star All-Sweating Team? I'll start with these, in no particular order:
Moses Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Shawn Kemp.

I'm talking about guys you'd see at the
free-throw line, sweat POURING off of them (enough to make you feel sorry for the
moisture-cleaning towel kids), and say, "DANG that dude sweats like all get out!"

A perspiration thread? Yeesh. Has the CAA Tournament started yet?
GO, MASON!