Posted at 3:20 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011

Meet the George Mason basketball team

By Dan Steinberg

George Mason is 19-5, receiving votes in both major polls, and in the top 25 in RPI, behind just two non-BCS teams. Things are going well. And yet some D.C.-area sports fans may not be quite acquainted with the Patriots yet. This video, posted by the school's athletic department, might help. It's also quite funny.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 8, 2011; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Redskins "We Are Washington" intro video
Next: D.C. United Olsen's Army campaign hits Metro

Comments

I guess it's cute but it is certainly cherry-picking some stats. GMU is *tied* for first place in the conference. While Larranaga does lead the conference in wins, he also has been coaching at his school and in the conference longer than many other coaches. Going into this season, he had an overall 61% win percentage. That would put him no higher than 2nd place among CAA coaches. Hey, I'm all for team pride. In the spirit of team pride, I say "Go UNCW" (tomorrow), "Go JMU!" (Saturday) and "Go VCU!" (next Wednesday).

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | February 8, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for dropping that knowledge on us, LurkerNowPoster. Isn't your local paper the Richmond Times-Dispatch? What are you doing here, where the stories are relevant, and VCU basketball isn't?

Great video - "can they dunk? I like dunks."

Posted by: BiggieSmallz | February 8, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

VCU only has to play Mason in Richmond this year. And, the CAA tournament is in Richmond EVERY year. Now, THAT'S cherrypicking.

Posted by: deepvalue | February 8, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

My local paper is The Washington Post. I even grew up in DC. However, I went to a rival CAA school (not VCU, but my alma matter is a VA state school) and am perfectly allowed to talk trash about George Mason. Can a local UVA grad talk trash about Maryland? Heck Yeah!

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | February 8, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Livin' on a Prayer, the Remix?

MASON NATION!!!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 8, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought LurkNowPoster was a University of Maryland fan.
It's a known fact by now that Gary Williams doesn't have the balls to man up and play Jim Larranaga. George Mason has quietly creeped up and is taking away Maryland's glory, especially since they are not doing anything to deserve it like George Mason.

GMU RPI 23
UMD RPI 77

GMU record 10-5 as of 2/8/11 after UNCW win.

UMD record 15-8, up next a real tough Longwood team that doesn't belong to a conference yet.

Posted by: variaban | February 8, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Correction, GMU record 20-5.

Posted by: variaban | February 8, 2011 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I like turtles!

Posted by: PhattyMcPatty | February 9, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Let the talkers talk and the haters hate. (Deep, I know.)

The CAA is rising to power one mighty Doc Nix pimp slap at a time.

GO, MASON!

Posted by: WaPoPimp | February 10, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I like the dig at JMU at the end... lol "Has James Madison ever been to the final four?"

Posted by: destewar | February 11, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse