Posted at 3:08 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Portis goes out with a [redacted]

By Dan Steinberg

(By Ricky Carioti - TWP)

Clinton Portis's tenure in Washington will be remembered for many things: gutty playoff runs, ridiculous costumes, and spellbinding radio interviews, among others.

It would be hard for him to lead a gutty playoff run or don a ridiculous costume on the day he was released, but he was up for one more fantastic radio appearance. The Redskins Insider blog already nailed the boring stuff, but someone must record the final profanity for posterity.

This came at the end of more than 30 minutes, when 106.7 The Fan's Holden Kushner told Portis he believed he was breaking down and was now a No. 2 back.

"You're entitled to your opinion, man," Portis said. "I think for myself, I always believe that I'm a No. 1 back....I don't think it's gonna be long before it comes out that there was something more left in the tank. I this this league is transitioning to a two-back system, but for me to sit with the idea that I'm a No. 2 back, I would never do that. I would never even let that adapt to my mindset. And I'm gonna always think I'm the baddest [BEEEEEEEEEEP] on the field."

That is a good way to go out. Put that right up there with Portis Pockets Straight, We've Got a Genius For a Head Coach, and 53 Men's Packages.

Speaking of which, Portis also gave out one parting defense of speaking his mind. And it's hard to disagree that he did, always, without fail, speak his mind. This came when he was asked what he will appreciate most from his time in Washington. He said a whole lot, but he concluded by talking about his mouth.

"The thing that I'm most appreciative of that might get me in trouble as well is always being me. You know, I don't think I ever changed or I ever adapted to what someone else wanted. I was always me and always stood for what I believed in. I think being a stand-up guy meant more to me than any number or any record or any touchdown that I ever scored. When I go look in the mirror, I can smile every day knowing there wasn't anything make believe or fake about anything I did....

"I never made a quote that I would say oh don't put my name. Anything that I said, I said it, and if you go back and listened to the whole interview, it was me. And I never recapped that and never really apologized for anything that I said despite how people took it or how it was chopped up or what words were deleted and how the spin came out. I always spoke the truth, and I think that's bigger to me than the rushing record or the touchdowns or anything else."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 28, 2011; 3:08 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The time Bryce Harper tipped off a pitch
Next: Atlantic 11 Week 14: Mason triumphs

Comments

I just read a dozen articles full of Charlie Sheen quotes. Clinton Portis seems like a down-to-earth, level-headed paragon of modesty in comparison. I'm having a hard time reading normal news stories anymore. Darn you, Charlie Sheen! You have diminished my capacity for outrage!

Posted by: nortrax | February 28, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Clinton Portis for telling that uber-dbag Holden Kushner to sit the f down. It amazes me how easy it is to become a media pundit these days...the fact that Holden Kushner is paid to give his opinion on sports topics shows just how thin the pool of quality applicants must be.

CP, Don't ever change man. Thank you for your many years of service to this franchise and community. You brought a lot of smiles to a lot of people. My only regret is that injuries prevented you from breaking Riggo's record. Who knows, maybe we can bring you back for a smaller price tag and you can still have a shot to take Riggo down.

Either way, good luck CP. You will be missed.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 28, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Miss you CP. Thanks for a lot of fun

Posted by: jpfterps | February 28, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

what an idiot

Posted by: slick3 | February 28, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

CP... stand up guy in my eyes!!! DC is gone miss you out there on Sundays bra! Whoever you go to, I hope you go out there and prove all these HATERS wrong! No matter what just always be you... thats what I always respected the most and made you my favorite Redskin!

Posted by: kelvincoggins | February 28, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

CP may not be the most eloquent speaker but he spoke from the heart. I am sorry he didn't take the Skins' rushing-record, I think he was a much better runner than Riggins and one heck of a blocker. Here is hoping that you will come back.

Posted by: hock1 | February 28, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

He will be remembered more for his antics and his interviews than anything he did on the field in a surprisingly unremarkable burgundy and gold tenure.

Posted by: jochpo | February 28, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Typical....He IS a 2 back...Good Riddance.

Posted by: DCFanatic | February 28, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Holden is total dbag. between he and Wise, I don't know how anyone could stomach that show. That hack show was lucky to get this interview, and then what do they do? Shove it right back in the guy's face and tell him his career is over.

Well played. That will make a lot of athletes want to come on your show now.

Posted by: philarmy | February 28, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Dan, that was the most informative bleeping I've ever read. Letter for letter. Bravo.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

There are roughly 1,700 players on NFL regular season rosters. All of them play positions, but not all of them are Football Players. CP is a Football Player. I'll miss him. Good luck Clinton.

Posted by: prestoj | February 28, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Clinton, best of luck and may your pockets always be straight.

Posted by: TheDubb | February 28, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

You're my boy CP, always. All the best.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | February 28, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis the tortoise football days are over...he can say what he wants but even he knows it.. He has had a good career nothing to ashamed about. Cya portis , thanks for all you,ve done ...now don't let the door hit you on the way out

Posted by: Mark99 | February 28, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

With Clinton in the game, there was always hope (at least for me) that the Skins had a chance to score and win. What a shame that we never had an offensive line that could really help him excel and that he had to take a lot of their blocking duties on himself. What a shame the way he got pulverized the last two seasons. Best of luck to Clinton, however, the cards play out for him.

Posted by: Chicagoburned | February 28, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The man was a great back, but I am so glad he did not break Riggo`s record!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 28, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X, as said on the Chappelle show, Dan Steinberg makes me and every white guy I know look like Eminem. I love Dan's work, but, after reading through some of the links about some of the things Portis said over the years. I honestly didn't know "steal a punch" was that unknown.

Posted by: berkeleyhoya | February 28, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Cut off nice touch,lets try again,thank you CP,to all of you lame-brained not know a damn thing about how football should be played rich boys this man gave his all,all the time every Sunday. I will shorten the original there are but 3 running backs in Redskins lore that embody everything that is a Redskin and everything that is a back,and those 3 in know order are Larry Brown,John Riggins,& Clinton Portis,no one blocked and picked up a blitz better than CP,no one,today,tomorrow,and few from yesteryear. These 3 are everything there is to being all around backs,Brown was what 5'9"-185 wet,carried 25-35 times a game for Allen and never,I mean never gave an inch to anyone,I remember seeing him in the mid 1980's at the Potomac Market dude could hardly walk,but that man still drove his Redskin Gold Caddy like he owned this town and damnit he did,Riggo,well what else has to be said about the man,walked to his own drum and stuck right to all of you rich little Republican brown nosers as you worshipped the ground he walked on,and now Clinton,barely bigger than Brown,never met a blitzing linebacker he couldn't knock on his butt,never gave up,never dropped with the first hit,Brown with more size and speed,yet all of you want to dog this man,I for one thank him,thank you Mr.Portis for being a Football player,for giving your all every Sunday and even more for telling the rest of these know nothing box sitting fair weather fans that they don't know what the hell they are talking about,maybe you have lost a step,haven't we all,I wish you the best and thank you for all of your gritty performances,your toughness,and your real representation of what being a Redskin is all about. I think what you had to say about Gibbs says it all,nobody ever quit on that man,maybe we lost but we never quit,and that will always be good enough for me. You Mr.Clinton never quit on us either and I thank you.

Posted by: mfowler1 | February 28, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Fare thee well, Janky Spanky. Have the insight to listen to your body and know when to hang it up.

No more Dave Duersons, rest his soul.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 28, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I will miss his intellectual coversations with John Thompson. Like listening to Chef from South park talk to Mushmouth from the Fat Albert cartoon.

Posted by: bal503 | February 28, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Spoke his mind"? No doubt.
"Spoke the truth"? Enh, not so much.

And I love how he thinks speaking his mind is such a great trait. 'Cause it's SO hard to find people like that nowadays.

"Outspoken but clueless" about sums it up.

Good RB though. It was a terrible deal (Bailey and the high pick) when we made it, but his play made it better than I thought it would be (still bad though).

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | February 28, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Just shut up and leave, man! You are an average runner at best.. FOUR YPC in Wash screams mediocre! Go back to school and learn 5th grade English! Sell drugs like you would've been doing if not for football!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 28, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@bal503 - ROFLMAO. That was funny... not many Fat Albert references these days.

Seriously, I agree with an earlier post - one of Portis's best runs was his first one.. some success mixed with failure from then on out. He did have a good string of games during the J. Gibbs #2 playoff run and that big run in Philly.

He also has been armed tackled and fell down wo contact alot the last few years. I will give him that he did man-up taking on blockers. Did a good job with that - let's be honest though, he hasn't done much the last couple of years. Good luck and good riddance CP.

Posted by: rskinsfan | February 28, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

you the man CP. alot of skins fans are blinded these days to the point where they can't recognize a great football player when they see one (for a lot of reasons, including the owners mishandling of the franchise). but i know you gave everything. in a way, i feel the Skins (top to bottom) let you down. good luck with the rest of your life. i hope you can come back on a reduced salary. but if not, take care CP.

Posted by: destewar | March 1, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I remember when I saw him in his first skins game, his first touch was a long ( 60 yard or something ) running touchdown - I said to myself "holy cuss - he's the real deal" - but it was like a mirage or a magicians trick. He never really did much after that except for a very few and far between sparkles.

I will say this - he was the best blocker for a running back that the skins have had yet. Of course that and a couple bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.

Posted by: US-conscience | March 1, 2011 1:32 AM | Report abuse

In his introductory news conference, he said he would encourage his friends to come to the Redskins to "get paid." That's all you need to know about Portis. His performance never came close to matching his paycheck. He was a slacker and he mouthed off too much. I'm glad he's gone.

Posted by: scg1055 | March 1, 2011 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Portis is to be lauded for speaking his mind because that is a great quality. BUT he should be slapped for always doing it in public when sometimes speaking his mind should be done BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. It's like telling someone they are ugly - it may be true but it's incredibly insensitive.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 1, 2011 7:51 AM | Report abuse

The vast majority of you "don't let the doorknob hit ya" people are idiots. Portis gave it his all EVERY DOWN. What more can you ask of him? The only difference between he and Riggins is that Riggins was fortunate enough to be on 2 of the best teams in NFL history. Both of these guys spoke their minds, did kooky stuff, and did't care what others thought of them. But Riggins is beloved and Portis is reviled. Why? Is it Portis' fault he came along in the Snyder era instead of the Cooke era when being a Redskin actually meant something? Every Redskins fan should be thanking this man for his 7 seasons of service. Sure his body is breaking down. That's only because he would acutally hit blitzing linebackers instead of acting like he tried to block them but just missed like all of the other backs he played with. I'll be in the front row when he goes into the ring of honor at FedEx.

Posted by: largetony86 | March 1, 2011 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks CP!! The very first touch of your redskins career 65 yards to the house!!! I really wish we had better personell,and personell management to help make this a better career for you. I really thought at the time after 2 1500 yard seasons and coming here that you had a shot at the all-time rushing title. It didn't work out, but like so many others have said here you embodied what a true redskin was and should be. A person that fights tooth and nail for everything on and off the field. A person that wasn't scared of anyone on and off the field, and a competitor. The U is in the house. Seems like we do well with these players. I hope we get Hankerson somewhere in the draft. Good luck CP!!!

Posted by: Hackersk | March 1, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I would rather have more playoff wins and a superbowl ring than the truth.

Posted by: yesyall1 | March 1, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Portis did not like to practice. He played hard on Sundays, but he used that as an excuse for why he should not have to practice hard. That is just not how it's done by the true greats. Adrian Peterson's nickname is All Day because he works hard in every practice and game. What are Portis's nicknames again?

Posted by: paperwc | March 1, 2011 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Southeast Jerome was my favorite.

Posted by: greenbem | March 1, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

He was funny and cool and a great running back in the "Dollar Bill" days. Then he turned into a jerk and the epitome of what's wrong with the 'skins and the DS curse.

Posted by: footballfreak | March 1, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance...

Posted by: chombie13 | March 1, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Whatever anybody thinks of Portis, he's the third-best running back in Redskins history.

Riggo is No. 1, and everyone knows his resume. No. 44 played with a lot of heart. That gets lost in all the talk about what a character he was, etc. For those 'Skins fans out there who've only known the Snyder nightmare, I wish you could have witnessed Riggo carrying Washington to the promised land in Super Bowl XVII.

Mr. Larry Brown is a close second. I know Larry didn't have a long career, and the Redskins fell in Super Bowl VII. If you see any video of Larry, you'll know why his career was short. But, man, what a heart.

Portis is No. 3. Some of the things he said made me cringe, but he played hard on Sundays. He was -- at times -- similar to Brown in fearless running. Portis is breaking down, and that's what happens. I think some folks don't appreciate what a toll the game takes on players, especially running backs.

My 'Skins have featured many other superb running backs: Mike Thomas, Joe Washington, George Rogers, Kelvin Bryant, Gerald Riggs, Earnest Byner, Reggie Brooks (one season), Terry Allen and Stephen Davis. Davis might have an argument, but Portis was better than those guys. Not bad.

Posted by: gaspeny | March 1, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Thank's CP; love you bro; best blocking RB in Skins history and a very good running back and with a better O-line who knows? anyway, good luck in the future.

Posted by: dargregmag | March 1, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I would rank Stephen Davis ahead of Portis... career was shorter here but he ran harder and was a class act. Some might argue Byner too for the heart and soul he showed but he wasn't as talented as Portis.

Posted by: rskinsfan | March 1, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Good Riddance.......now lets get rid of the other prima donnas

Posted by: wthaljr | March 1, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis was a BADDD Mamma Jamma and a TOP THREE alltime best Redskin running back. All of you Pollywanna/Naysayers should go bash bricks into fine dust as punishment.

Posted by: dcjazzman | March 1, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis needs to be judged by his performance on the field of play and not for his off the field antics or radio interviews.He leaves as the #2 rusher in franchise history and if not for injuries would be exiting as the all time leader. He gave his all on the field of play and was the best blocking RB of his generation and one of the best in league history. He also owns the top 2 rushing yards in a season by a Redskins RB.Take your opinions about his character out of the equation and judge by his play on the field.

Posted by: Beltwayboy7 | March 1, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

A football player used a blipped word? Slow news day. Given that Portis has been a steady performer in bad times, a little more respect, maybe, Dan?

Posted by: Nemo24601 | March 1, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'll always* be a fan of Clinton Portis. He played the game like a warrior - taking on hits and giving himself up to protect QB. While he had his flaws and peculiarities that alienated some, the lasting image I'll always have of him is as a player that attacked blitzers in pass protection with the same dedication that he showed in his 20+ yard runs behind a pulling guard like Randy Thomas. A lot of RBs can learn a lot from him, especially in terms of becoming a valued part of protection schemes, which makes them more dangerous and complete a player.

His play illustrates why I walked away from fantasy football a few years ago (after he had helped lead me to a title in his rookie year). I value guys who play football over guys who accumulate stats. There's no stats for throwing a block that allows your QB to throw away instead of getting sacked. And that style of play took a big toll on his body over the years. He's got a LOT of mileage on those legs at 30, considering his two years in Denver he was one of the youngest players in the league.

Thanks for the effort and best wishes in the next stage of your career*.

(* - unless he signs elsewhere in the division.)

Posted by: csh2000 | March 1, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Portis,

We appreciate your efforts here in Washington! BTW, the intelligent fans realize that you played mostly behind a horrible offensive line and put up remarkable numbers. To me that's the difference between you and Riggins; riggins ran behind one of the all-time great lines and you played behind a line that was not even mediocre - your line stank!!!

It burns me up to hear morons like Riggins constantly criticize you, knowing that he was quite the character himself and often drunk himself into a stupor. Will never forget Riggins episode with the Supreme Court justice.

You did well, CP, going to miss you here!

Posted by: JosephColeman1 | March 1, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Portis,

You did well, CP, going to miss you here!

Posted by: JosephColeman1 | March 1, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

clinton portis was the prime example of the dan snyder era. one prima donna gone.

Posted by: miked4 | March 1, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: miked4 | March 1, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

To me, Portis got into the same conversation with Riggins and Brown. That is saying something. And no one can deny he was superb at picking up the blitz. There were times when Portis looked great, and gave everything, and that's what gets him a mention with Riggins and Brown. But one of the huge disappointments is that someone with that kind of talent, and who sometimes gave that kind of effort, also seemed to pout a lot of the time and leave us wondering whether he really was giving it his all. And at no time did we wonder more than this last season when he threw himself down on the ground without any tackler near him. So, for my part, thanks Mr. Portis for when you did give it your all. I'll unfortunately not be able to shake all the memories of the other let-downs, and sideline controversies.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 1, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

About 3-4 years ago I took my young sons to a pratice at Redskin Park. I am from DC and have been a skins fan my entire life. I expected not to like him as a person, we found him to be charming, a leader, and a very popular guy among his teammates.
People can write what they will, this is blog....but I can't see how people can trash him they way they do. Is he worth 8 million next near..no. He did play his with heart, gave his best effort, when healthy was our most consistant back last year, and if we had a team full of player that gave his effort or ability we would be the team with the poor results we have had in the past decade.
Is he perfect... no! Is anyone writing in this blog? He played his guts out for this team, and blocked and did lots of the dirty work. Albert Hanyesworth is a bumm and deserves all the negative feedback he gets......Clinton does not.

Posted by: markh1362 | March 1, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You guys really did not understadn that whole interview.. one, Portis gets paid to do that interview each week... two... Portis is banged up and a #2 back... CP did his job and gave us a good run... he is not worth 8.2m salary and just like Charlie Sheen, thinks he is worth #1 money. RB's have a hard time realizing when things are harder for them and they are on the decline... take a look around the league.... everyone has 2 backs and a lot of them have their starters locked... he is a 2 back... Redskins made a smart move, for once.

Posted by: rvanags | March 1, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

All of the CP haters, just wait until a back misses a pass pro or you need that tough yard. Please re-sign him and let him outrush that drunk 44 who all of a sudden seems to people like he smelled like roses when he played. Ask Sandra-baby. You think the grass is greener with ATV. Just wait, you'll see. CP...thanks. Thanks for being you and SE Jerome and whoever else you wanted to be. Thanks for showing up on Sunday. 26 for life...

Posted by: HeavyGEE | March 1, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse