Posted at 10:26 AM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Rich Chvotkin goes to 17 with "Hoyas win"

By Dan Steinberg

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Just about every time Rich Chvotkin gets really excited, I try to make some note of it. Like, Monday, for example, I posted the audio of his call from Saturday's win over Villanova. He said "Hoyas Win!" 16 times after the Hoyas won. That seemed like a lot.

Silly me.

It took all of two days for Chvotkin to out-do himself with 17 of those suckers following Monday night's win over Louisville, the Hoyas' fifth straight. Apparently 17 is believed to tie the modern-day Chvotkin record. Once again, via ESPN 980, Georgetown Athletics and Evan Chvotkin, here is that game-winning call. People in the know claim this was done in one breath, but whether or not that's true, it's still impressive.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 1, 2011; 10:26 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball, Georgetown
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ted Leonsis and the pixels of despair
Next: The Caps and Super Bowl prop bets

Comments

Chvotkin is simply the best play by play baskeball broadcaster ever! How he has not been picked up by ESPN or one of the bid networks is beyond me. Selfishly I hope he never leaves!

Posted by: JAMNEW | February 1, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

What a clown. You won't find Johnny Holliday whooping it up like an idiot on Maryland broadcasts. And, get Georgetown out of the Verizon Center. They have their own basketball facility. Use it.

Posted by: Jayman77 | February 1, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

LOL, thanks Jayman, spoken like a true fan of the Twerps, who look like they couldnt beat an area high school team this year...theyre getting worse and worse year after year....can you say "NIT here we come again"?....

Posted by: opticlguy | February 1, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

great idea jayman - they can play at McDonough in front of 2,000 fans?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 1, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Where did I tout Maryland's play on the court? I was comparing the two radio broadcasters. I am a Maryland alum, and yes, I do think their overall play has been mediocre.

And Duke's Cameron Indoor "Stadium" only seats about 10,000, which is I know is a lot more than McDonough, but that's enough for them. If Georgetown is such an upper echelon team, build a bigger arena on your own campus.

Posted by: Jayman77 | February 1, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

dang jayman that hate is coming through kinda strong today lol. With that said, exactly where would they put an on campus arena? And where would the people park? Cameron Indoor is located on a rural campus not a historical hot spot in the nations capital. Come on dude I know you went to maryland but try and think before you speak.

Posted by: zvick11 | February 1, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Me and my buddy actually turn down the volume on the TV and turn on the radio just so we can hear the end of the game, especially if Georgetown is winning. When Georgetown made Final Four a couple of seasons ago I used Mr. Chvotkin, "Georgetown wins" as my ringtone.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 1, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

As a Maryland alum who was a longtime Georgetown fan prior to attending MD (and I have always liked both) I simply do not understand the venom that some Terp fans have toward the Hoyas. The Hoyas are immensely popular in the DMV and feature a good number of local players. Simply put, their on-campus facilities do not support their following the way Verizon Center (and the Cap Centre before that) does. Anyone who watched last night's broadcast, could hear how loud it was at the end of the game. Much louder than the pro basketball team that occupies that arena.

As to the radio broadcasts, Holliday is every bit the homer. Go Terps! Go Hoyas! I got love for both.

PS. Gary needs to stop this whole "Gtown owes us a home game before we will agree to play them every year". It's crap. It was a toruney played on Gtown's home court but they were not the host, which is why MD donned the home unis and the floor said BB&T not Georgetown.

Posted by: keino83 | February 1, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Jayman77 -

you say your comments are about Rich Chvotkin well Holiday is no Clark Kellogg.
I've listened to Twerp broadcasts and Holiday is "homer locked". This guy refutes every call against Maryland. Each announcer does what they are there for, to announce for the home team. And for your second point, why would a small University like Georgetown build a 10,000 seat arena? You seem to be a college student, that doesn't make sense. Furthermore, what does the arena have to do with wins?
Georgetown wins in your arena as well as their arena the VERIZON CENTER.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | February 1, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse