Posted at 4:09 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Scott Van Pelt rips Maryland students again

By Dan Steinberg

(Photos by Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

I noted earlier that some folks, including ESPN's Scott Van Pelt, were disappointed by the student attendance at Wednesday night's Maryland-Florida State game.

The announced attendance was 15,186, though many observers thought that seemed high. Regardless, that was the lowest announced attendance for an ACC home game since February of 2003, when a home game against Wake Forest was postponed a day by snow and then played in still-lousy conditions. The school still announced a crowd of 14,222, the only ACC crowd under 15,800 in Comcast Center history before this week.

"I didn't know how many people would be here, but I wasn't surprised because our fans have been so great," Gary Williams said then.

He was slightly less enthusiastic on Wednesday, though he couldn't touch Scott Van Pelt. After a few snide remarks on Twitter, Van Pelt went on a three-minute tirade against Maryland students during an appearance on ESPN 980. Here is most of his speech.

"I was as angry....I still am," he began. "I may say things that get me into trouble. I just don't care. When I turned on the television and I saw that wall where the students are supposed to sit and it looked like the Longwood game, all I wondered is what happened to my university.

"And I know what happened: They started letting in a lot more smart people that are really driven about their futures, and you guys had to study last night, and good for you. We had class back when I went to school, too. And we went to games. Because part of a college experience is a well-rounded experience, and going to athletic games is a big part of that.

"And our students right now at Maryland have this attitude where they can't be bothered to go. Like the football games, they come late and leave early. There was a football game this fall where it was about 50-to-Idontevenknow against Wake Forest, and the student section was empty. I think it was 'hot' that day, or something.

"And last night, it's an ACC game, you're in the middle of the conference season, still have a chance to make the tournament, you're gonna have to run the table. And the team can use some support. And this might sound corny, and this is where I might sound like an old guy, and I don't give a bleep....

"The problem is this: we've got a student body now that believes that the season's one game, and it's the Duke game. And that's stupidity. That's one of eight conference games. They had to win last night. Thank God the team brought the energy. They had to provide it for themselves. And this is disgraceful, man. It's disgraceful that you can't be bothered to show up for a 9 o'clock game on a Wednesday night and provide a good atmosphere for a basketball team that's still not out of it.

"God forbid, God forbid this team ever cratered like Georgia Tech or Wake Forest is this season, because it'd be empty. And I read online, a student writes on one of the chat rooms, 'You wanna have a great crowd, have a great team. Who have they beat that's any good?'

"The notion that a college basketball team like Maryland would have to be great in order to earn the support of the student body is laughable. You can wait the rest of your life to be that jaded and that cynical, ok? But when you're in college, to think that the team has to earn your support? That's not how it works. You just support 'em because you go to college. And you're only there for a short period of time, so try not to suck. Try not to be so jaded and cynical, and show up eight times a year for conference games. It's not like we're asking you to solve cancer. Go to a basketball game. It's freaking free. That's all I've got for you on that....

"It just bums me out. I'm not mad at 'em. It just bums me out that they can't be bothered to go to a game....It's the ACC. You desperately need to win the rest of your games. And the crowd can provide an atmosphere that the team can tap into, and when they do, they provide a great atmosphere. There was an apathy toward the game last night that I just was stunned by....It bothered me so much last night....

"I think students are more motivated, they're more focused on their careers, they're more driven. Good for you. Part of the college experience is living a little bit, outside I have to do my econ homework. And look, you're talking to a guy whose GPA was pitiful, but things worked out for me in the end....I didn't miss games, you know?"

If you're curious, Maryland announced capacity crowds of 17,950 for all of its ACC home games in 2003-'04, 2004-'05, 2005-'06, 2006-'07, and 2007-'08. There were five ACC sellouts each of the next two seasons, and have been five thus far this season.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 24, 2011; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball, Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Torrey Smith puts his arm in the rim
Next: Nick Young's crazy 360-degree layup

Comments

But I guess attending a basketball game should take priority.

-UMD Grad student

Posted by: Broz1 | February 24, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm a alumnus and a season ticket holder. A day of work that started at 4AM and I was there for the 9PM game. Now granted, I left about halfway through the 2nd half, but the game was in hand by then.

Neither I nor the person running the official alumni assoc twitter acct could believe how light the crowd was. I joked with my friend that we should sit on the steep wall where the students normally sit because they were closer to the floor than our season tickets.

Posted by: lamaccountant1 | February 24, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Amen SVP. Amen.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 24, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@Broz1

I guess you would know since you are a grad student. It just seemed lighter than just for midterms. I also draw on my midterms experience. I didn't feel that all my classes gave midterms and almost certainly not in the same week.

I'm sure things are different now, as I'm drawing on experience from over a decade ago. However still puzzles me that so many students were missing.

Posted by: lamaccountant1 | February 24, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@Broz 1 I didnt know you could ride a highhorse on the internet. Impressive dude. I also wonder what the smell is when you leave the bathroom, because clearly it doesn't stink.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 24, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@Broz1 How many of these people are really studying for mid-terms from 9-11 on wednesday night. Unless your exam is on Thursday you should have been there. The real problem is that not enough students know anything about/care about basketballl

Posted by: jstack34 | February 24, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@lamaccountant1

The students typically have 3 tests per semester, divided evenly through the course. So they end up taking tests almost entirely at the same time for each class (within the same week). We're a third of the way through the semester and they're taking their first set of tests right now. I can speak definitively for the chemistry department anyway. All the tests are being given this week.

Of course, I could be wrong as to the midterm effect on the total volume. Sounds like it was pretty embarrassing.

Posted by: Broz1 | February 24, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I went last night and I don't get many chances to do so, so I'm with SVP here. I went to MD in the mid to late 90s and it didn't matter what time the game started, who we were playing, or what our record was. Every game was a must-see. A few times last night when we pushed the lead to 8 or 10 or whatever I stood up and cheered on the defense and realized after a few seconds I was the only one doing so. Lame, Terp fans. Lame.

Posted by: cao091402 | February 24, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks @Broz1

Things are different from before. Then again I was a business major who had AP credits for many "core" classes. Probably missed a bunch of midterms because of those facts.

Posted by: lamaccountant1 | February 24, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | February 24, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

As a student sitting in 101 since 7:30 for this game, the crowd was unacceptable for an ACC game. Sure the team hasn't won enough games, but the effort is there. The focus may not be there 100% but the effort is there. There isn't a whole lot more you can ask of them. I genuinely like this team.

Posted by: AndrewR1 | February 24, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

broz1, you are exactly the type of student he is talking to. because all of the terps that came before you didn't have midterms? right. I bet no one was complaining about midterm week last year when the terps were in contention for the acc title.

Posted by: terps241 | February 24, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm a current student, and granted I'm a senior so to me these last few games are about as important as anything else going on, but I still think the crowd was tiny. The people that showed up brought a lot of energy and it was certainly loud at times, but I agree with SVP that we need better. As a tour guide, I tell everyone that it is important to have fun while in school and not get caught up in academics only. Maryland has become an absolutely awesome school when it comes to rankings and academics, but we really do need to create that atmosphere that we once had.

Posted by: DoronTam | February 24, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

However, it was one game. They have the largest (fact) and one of the loudest student sections in the country. They have great fans (as an alumni I can vouch for them).
I watched the game and as a '10 graduate, I was also surprised at the attendance.

However, SVP, most kids live and die by their GPA in other majors much more than sports broadcast journalism majors do. Its a little biased to say that you were at the games considering IT WAS YOUR MAJOR to follow the sport. Kids can be well rounded without going to ONE basketball game that you happened to watch. I understand the "a basketball championship increases the value of a degree" argument. However, the growth in the schools reputation and degree value, year over year, is because of those kids that put in the hours in the books.

Maryland has great fans and as an alumni, who supports the teams and SVP, this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Posted by: terpfan06 | February 24, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terpfan06 | February 24, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terpfan06 | February 24, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It's nice that Scott Van Pelt thinks there are academic concerns at UMD.

Posted by: mjr24 | February 24, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

This is laughable Scott. First off, its not that UMD students are studying too hard to go to games- last time I checked we are in the same conference as Duke, Virginia, Boston College, Wake Forest and North Carolina- and those schools aren't full of dummies and many have rabid fan bases.
The problem is, as has been pointed out repeatedly, that we haven't been elite for some time. A fact which is criminal when you consider the plethora of talent in the DC metro area (easily the best high school ball in the country).
Since winning the national championship we've missed the tournament 3 times barely squeaked in several times more. That is unacceptable. Now, should student still show up to the game? Yes, but please don't act like they don't have a right to voice frustration with a program that is clearly unable to attract top tier talent who are only a stones throw away.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 24, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Ha the midterms excuse is laughable. Kids at Duke have to study as well, yet we all know the home court advantage there.

UMD is full of a different caliber of kids. I went to high school with a lot of them, and they are sort of apathetic. Kids who honestly are probably playing x-box or watching Jersey Shore.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | February 24, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

when you win a national championship and reside in the hot bed of high school basketball and then proceed to allow GW, GT and GM to all gain traction in your strong hold- there is something wrong. I know they say Gary doesn't pay and that he doesn't 'play' the AAU game but if I were a blue chip athlete I wouldn't come here either. How many blue chip athletes has Gary coached and turned into lottery picks?
They don't come because gary is an egomaniac. They don't come because he does know how to mold elite talent into superstar NBA athletes.
He's a four year coach in a two year world.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 24, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@Broz1

Parents aren't paying an arm and a leg for state schools.

When did Maryland become an elite University? Last I checked, it's ranked eighth of twelve in the ACC and #56 in National Universities, tied with Ohio State, Georgia, etc.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | February 24, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

GeorgeTowner2, not sure if that 'elite' comment was directed at me, but I was referring to MD's basketball program, not its academic reputation (which is ever improving).

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 24, 2011 6:46 PM | Report abuse

DC metro area (easily the best high school ball in the country).

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 24, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with this comment. DC has a rich talent base and a lot of quality basketball programs but to say DC easily the best high school ball is factually wrong. Flint, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tidewater, LA, NYC, Chicago , and Houston all are equal if not greater than DC in any given year in round ball.

DC metro area is up there, but would not just give them the crown.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 24, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI the 11th grade AAU rankings. One team from Maryland and one from Virginia in the top 25.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 24, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

@ terpfan06 Nailed it. @ SVP and almost all other comments..

I'm a student. I am and have been a diehard Terps fan (well, only football and basketball). My excuse: 2 exams this week, one was Thursday (today). While it tore me up to not go to the game, I still watched it on TV so I could study during halftime and commercials, which I wouldn't have been able to do at Comcast. No, I was not wasting time watching crap like Jersey Shore and American Idol or playing videogames.

In regards to our crowd, I'm ashamed of our sports crowd in general; our students are goddamn nerds. The accountants and engineers that have never brushed their teeth, dated a girl, or even talked to a girl in a non-awkward fashion for that matter, are 40% of our student section now...Look on the big screen at the games if you don't believe me haha. Our section doesn't even appear cool anymore. Go ahead and Youtube videos of the Cole crowd and that looks legit. That being said, I'm ashamed the art, crim justice, and other less stringent majors didn't show in full force last night but shoot, our Terps are on the outside looking in. Paying thousands of dollars to get a GPA high enough for a quality job > going to watch the Terps make a too little, too late run for the NCAA tourny... I'm an optimist and still believe it's too late to get over the hump. Essentially, it is ACC champs or NIT. In my opinion, we were ruled out of the NCAA tourny after the 2nd loss to VT, especially considering VT is a bubble team themselves. SVP, I went to your same high school and now college. I have not missed a bball or football game in the past 2 years. You da man but don't bash my Terp pride my man. Throw a couple G's in the form of a scholarship and I'll spend 3 hours at a game with an NIT-bound MD team and a Singleton-less FSU squad.

Posted by: ToddSchreck | February 24, 2011 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I put something like this over on terrapins insider-

a) if you are talking about engineering programs, Maryland is the 3rd best ACC school, and ahead of Duke (and Harvard btw)

b) Those Duke nerds only need to fill in 1200 seats, Maryland nerds need to fill in 4000.

c) How about letting the band play the "you suck" song? how about not blaring music over their cheers and chants? how about creating an atmosphere that feels more like a great college game and not a crappy NBA game?

d) Maryland also needs to stop selling out to TV and then complain that nobody's in the stands. 9:00 games suck for everyone, even if the tickets are free. I mean I can't wait to go to an 8:00 football game on Labor Day!

e) Current college seniors were born in 1990, and don't remember any sports before about 2000. 10 years of games that tipoff after bedtime has left an entire generation short of sports fans.

Posted by: someguy100 | February 24, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

@ToddSchreck --

The Cameron Crazies are full of nerds as well, and lots of them are engineering and other studying-intensive majors -- yet they pull if off, and quite well.

@ someguy --

the "yousuck" chants etc are lame, and just shows the fact that the character and quality of the UMD students is just inferior to Duke. For example, Coach K just this year requested that the student body stop with the "O" during the national anthem, and within a few games of his request, the student body was so quiet during the anthem that you could've heard a pin drop.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | February 25, 2011 12:13 AM | Report abuse

you're all right with valid points. i was at maryland when bias played and cole was always sold out. i never missed a game. it saddens me to see games with empty seats now. but let's be honest - the academic standards at UM were lower than they are today. my kid was accepted as a freshman in the fall and is working harder than he ever thought he could. he has yet to miss a football or bball game - and probably never will - BUT with the academic standards and benchmarks that MUST be met each semester in order to stay in your major or at this school, he is facing the possibility of having to change his major, or worse yet, transfer out of the only school he has ever wanted to attend. if he had a biology exam on thursday, he would have had a tough choice to make. ultimately, it is the social aspect of UM that he will remember long after the degree has (hopefully) been awarded, but is the lack of attendance at one or two games (ACC or not) worth the risk of not being there for all four years? the choice to attend or not to attend the sporting events is sometimes a function of apathy, but it is also sometimes a function of priority. classes across all majors are rigorous and demanding, and these kids are facing pressures and uncertainties that those of us who have graduated and secured jobs shouldn't easily dismiss.

Posted by: terpalummom | February 25, 2011 12:45 AM | Report abuse

with regards to the comment about "parents aren't paying an arm and a leg for state universities," it is all relative. as a parent of four college-bound kids, i am looking at the reality that it will cost us $400,000+ to put four kids through a state university. this does not include the month of meals that i will have to pay in addition to the expensive meal plan i am already purchasing to cover the $14 price tag on a slice of pizza, a small salad, a small order of fries and a soda once the meal plan has run out before the semester ends. or the $12 price tag for a case of water purchased on or near campus. in my book, that is an arm and a leg.

Posted by: terpalummom | February 25, 2011 1:14 AM | Report abuse

As has been said, I think it's more to do with the team just isn't that interesting right now. Maryland will always have to deal with the fact that there are so many other sports in the area to compete with for draw, what does Duke basketball compete with? Not to mention the large amount of students that commute to college park. The 15000 people that showed up to this game? Cameron would have to turn 5000 of them away because it's max capacity is 10000.

There are a lot of reasons for the low attendance, but ripping students who may have stayed home to concentrate on their own futures is pretty foolish.

Posted by: GKINMD | February 25, 2011 1:52 AM | Report abuse

some rather passionate responses to SVP post and one that I totally agree with is the starting times for major sporting events...AS colleges prostitute themselves to television 8pm for football or 9pm for basketball is unacceptable and too late not only for college but for younger viewers period...I would encourage new AD mr anderson to review student credit by scanning tickets either after the game on way out or at least after half time horn...i see many a studdent on regular basis leaving after the game starts just to get points credit...that to me is unacceptable...if i were a student the starting times would be my beef...too late...

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | February 25, 2011 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Feels nice to have helped those ACC sell-out games from 04-07. Where are the students now? The ol' scan and leave routine? Come on

Posted by: hockeypunk | February 25, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Game time starts are not an excuse. It used to be that a 9 PM start was something to be proud of as that meant prime time.

MD is 5 her times the size of Wake, 3 times that of Duke, so there are no excuses. I went to MD in the late 70s early 80s and you had to beg to get into Cole. Even Byrd was constanly full when there where extra bleachers around the top instead of tha awful upper deck.

All the 'academic' excuses don't fly. And to to those who defend the "you suc" chant, grow up.

Posted by: bal503 | February 25, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

You guys are right - "Sweat, Gary, Sweat" is really classy!

Posted by: someguy100 | February 25, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Wait, when did Maryland become a good school? What did I miss?

Posted by: BillyBeane | February 25, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

they should go back to having to sleep out for the games. as unfair as that may have been it:

a) was fun
b) weeded out people who didn't really want to be there
c) was a great reason to skip classes.

and i was an engineering major. you can be in a difficult major and still have fun. personal preference. i brought books and homework to games before, so I could sit in the front row and get work done before the game. nerdy? maybe. but watching some really good teams from that far away was a once in a lifetime opportunity. i'm ok with my choices.

i think it's not exactly realistic to expect everyone will feel that way, though.

Posted by: moo21 | February 25, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

University of Maryland has always been the worst college or university within a 100 mile radius of Washington Monument. Weused to recuit there but stopped after we discovered our entry level hires in variety fields from Umd just were notas well qualified as students with similar degrees from Howard, JMU, VCU, or VA State.

Except for JHU and Towson the state of MD has the worst colleges and universities of any state east of the Mississippi.

Posted by: sheepherder | February 25, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Dude,

I appreciate Scotty's passion for the TERPS and generally love his commentary, but really, elevating the crop of students at MD is not something to criticize. I went to school with Scotty, and he was hardly a model student, and I wouldn't say that academics were his first priority. I wouldn't blame the current students for putting academics first, and the fact that the team is mediocre, and the athletic department sucks may have resulted in their disinterest. When I went to MD, the games may have been sold out, but then again, our best player died of a drug overdose. Surely, there must be a middle ground here.

Posted by: Lkay1 | February 25, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Caltech shows more support for its basketball team, which just won its first conference game in 26 years. Caltech. Study in the morning.

Posted by: wbbradb | February 25, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

dcinmd1-

taking one year and one ranking does not establish a trend (though you may be right).

MD, DC and VA routinely have highly ranked high school teams (lets not forget dematha, gonzaga, dunbar, Montrose Christian, Oak Hill Academy, Blue Ridge School, Benedictine, Episcopal Academy, Norfolk Christan, Patterson, etc), excellent AU teams (search the other grades and past years) and every year DC hosts a USA vs Metro area all star basketball game (doesn't mean that much, but it does say something). While I'm certainly not taking away from other regions, but year in year out- the sense I get (and I'm fine being wrong) is that this region is offers the best high school basketball talent. My real concern, is why do so few of these players choose Maryland? More specifically, how did we not capitalize on the '02 national championship as a means of attaining top tier talent?

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 25, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Van Pelt continues to shop at stores that treat him poorly over a 7 year stretch. It happens .. if you're not that good, folks don't show up. What MD should be concerned about is these kids are tomorrow's alumni and if they're not going now ..

Everyday there is more competition for a student's buck or time. MD BB still draws well but there's no free ride. Get used to it.

Posted by: tslats | February 25, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Some good comments here all-around. My personal thoughts (as an alum and fan for the past 30 years):

- a 9pm game during an exam week is lame, everyone at the Univ should know what to expect attendance-wise if thats the schedule you put in place
- the student body needs to support their teams to a greater extent - way too much apathy in general for the revenue programs (football and basketball) from kids that seem to whine about not wanting to go to games "not worth" watching. As SVP said, its your damn school - go to the games and support your college
- the students at mens basketball games need to grow up - the swearing is bush-league and has given the Univ a black eye for years now. The "You Suck" chant is fine in my opinion, but theres a fine line between being rowdy and fired-up, and being a jerk. And dont get me started on the rioting.
- the Univ has done a great job raising its academic standards and standing, and needs to keep working to engage the students with their sports teams with events like the bonfire after the Duke BB game (too bad there wasnt a win to go along with that event, I'm sure it would have been a lot more fun and many more people would have been there)

Posted by: TerpInTime | February 25, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjp879 | February 25, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The current student fan-base is typical of any, I repeat any DC area fan today. If the team is not winning, we don't give a crap. The same thing is happening in football. Byrd is sparsley pop'd with fans now b/c they don't care if you make the Meineke bowl, or any Humanitarian cause, it ain't big time enough. The rumors of Leache on the leash registered on the Richter Scale (earthquakes for Dummies) for a brief period. That would get attention, but now that we have an old car (Edsall for Dummies)no one gives a crap.

As an alum ('76 & 84) I remember sitting in Cole books in tow, when the doors opened, studying up until game time. Fans back then cared about their school. Fans today only care about Face time and texting, not textual matters.

Posted by: Clarkent1 | February 25, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Thank you SVP.. as a former graduate, i went to every game not caring about studying for tests. that is a lame excuse if you have to study, you do know there are other times to study for a test than at night. How much you wanna bet these same students studying in their dorm rooms had the tv on to watch the game while studying

Posted by: skinfan2k | February 25, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, I guess the poorly written responses (and possible lack of computer skills) by terpsfan and the guy who doesn't think the students look "cool" enough anymore, and some other posters who identify themslves as UMD students belies SVP's theory that the problem is that MD is attracting smarter students.

Posted by: mike8 | February 25, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"The students have midterms this week....they were probably studying and trying to earn that degree they and their parents are paying an arm and a leg for.

But I guess attending a basketball game should take priority.

-UMD Grad student

Posted by: Broz1 | February 24, 2011 4:24 PM"
-->Well it wasn't a problem when they we're selling out EVERY game for years at both Cole and Comcast with 9 PM starts and if Duke would've been the opponent they would have been there. I'm not buying the "academic" excuse.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Caltech? The official attendance for that win was 387.

Posted by: someguy100 | February 25, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The last thing I want to do as an MD grad and MD fan is isolate certain groups of people. The truth is that MD fans let their team down. SVP is right. Two Freshman point guards who are maturing before our eyes. The two leaders of tomorrow. I used to be anit-Stoglin. Boy was I wrong. My biggest gripe with MD has been the out of town student body from NJ and NY who go home every weekend to see Mommy and Daddy and who look at the DC area as provincial. They couldn't get in their reach and settled for MD. The most non-commital people of all. They will die in NY and NJ. Perhaps they should have gone to school there.

Posted by: punkbarron | February 25, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The ticketing process at Maryland is a lottery based on how many games you have already attended. If you don't want to go to a particular game, but think you might want to go to a game later in the season, the system encourages students to scan your ticket at the gate and immediately leave. I would say it's pretty likely that all of the student tickets were claimed.

Posted by: Kuklie07 | February 25, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

they are fewer and fewer instate kids who come to the school, therefore last true fans. The majority of my friends while i attended MD were from NY/NJ and they have gone back and dont care about maryland sports. All they care about is the Yanks, Knicks and Mets

Posted by: skinfan2k | February 25, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Kuklie you are right, but you are forgetting that the duke game has already past and the pts dont matter anymore. I used to like when the Duke game was one of the last one of the year so it forces the majority of the students to stay at the games. This happens every year after the duke game with student attedance

Posted by: skinfan2k | February 25, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

It truly shows the character of the MD students when one of their suggestions on improving the student involvement is allowing the "You Suck" chant.

Groundbreaking stuff.

Posted by: Ol_Brob | February 25, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

DC metro area is up there, but would not just give them the crown.

Posted by: dcinmd1

according to espn it kind of is:

big Terps fan and yea it's upsetting, i saw the Terps lose to Pitt in the Garden earlier in the season and there were a ton a MD fans there, but it looked like all grads and people from MD like myself

gotta breed a new base of fans and it looks like the new breed is weak

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 25, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"Are these students really taking themselves this serious? I graduated in '03, and UMD was well on its way to a serious academic reputation. The games were all PACKED.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 24, 2011 4:51 PM"
-->Do Duke students use midterms as an excuse not to show up to games? Cuz last time I checked say what you want about Duke, it's a little (I mean a lot) harder to get into.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdtay11 | February 25, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | February 25, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet the "Hey you suck" chant was created by someone from NY/NJ. Now I love NY and NJ. Lived in NYC. I understand the people and love them for who they ARE. Good people but just not longterm MD fans.

Posted by: punkbarron | February 25, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Its because nobody wants to condemn Gary. He brings Zero excitement to the program and is a horrid recruiter. Everybody defends this guy but his teams are so mediocre that making the tournament is a win. This area produces some of the best basketball talent in the world and he continually lets it slip. I guarantee you that if a new coach with a new recruiting philosophy came in...the fever would be rekindled

Posted by: BlinkOSU | February 25, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey this is partly the University's fault...

WTF are you scheduling midterms on a week with 2 home games?

MD has 2 road games next week...couldn't the university schedule the midterms then?

Just really stupid on the part of the campus..and yes I went to UM and went to all the games and had a 3.5 average. 2 hours is not going to f'ing kill you in your studies. If it does, then you weren't doing enough the previous months.

Posted by: cavatellie | February 25, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I wrote a scathing letter to the Diamondback wondering if it was apathy or there was some kind of protest against the way tickets were distributed during the Duke game. One student responded saying they have more important things to do?

IT'S APATHEY!

Some may have had legitimate reasons such as midterms but on a whole the students are jaded by Maryland's successful past and a feeling of entitlement. The Duke game is all they care about and when we lost it they threw in the towel for the season!

I bought a couple of single game tickets last year for non ACC games and had to sit in the cheap seats while student seats around the court were empty. I was angry but figured it was because we were playing a tomato can?

This has now spread to ACC games during a possible NCAA tournament run! It is not acceptable!

I would recommend radically reducing the student section to the end zone only! If they cant fill that sell their tickets at will call for the REAL FANS!

This will free students up to study and not waste court side seats. I graduated from Maryland in 1976 and have never had a seat as good as the empty ones I see at Comcast.

It's a disgrace; that myself and the alumni I know are waiting for the new "ATHELETIC DIRECTOR" to fix!

Posted by: fatlabriley2 | February 25, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Its pretty upsetting that Van Pelt ripped MD like that. They stand by him, support him and love the "we're going to bentley's" shoutouts after a Maryland win.

Posted by: terpfan06 | February 24, 2011 5:20 PM"
-->Yes, it hurts coming from him, but it's more than ONE game, it's been a few seasons in the making. It used to be impossible to get season tickets AND many students we're left in the dark for tickets. Now you can get tickets to any game not including Duke, rather easily.

Again with the academics, no one was using that excuse when they were winning.

Bottomline, the basketball program is no longer considered one of the premier programs and the student section isn't one of the best either. If you think either isn't true your delusional.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

SVP is right on here. I just don't buy the argument that Cameron is smaller and easier to fill. Although their stadium is smaller, so is the student population (only 6000 undergrads and 4000 grad students). The so-called Crazies pack the stands for every game and cheer loudly, even if their antics are a bit overdone. I'm sure they manage to fit in studying for midterms as well.

These fans calling for Gary's head and blaming this on the team's lackluster performance in recent years are out of their minds. That's the definition of a fairweather fan. In my opinion and regardless of any of his faults, Gary put the program on the map. Case closed.

Posted by: nordicus | February 25, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

SVP is right. It was embarrassing for UM alums everywhere. Get your work done so you can get to the game. Maybe, I dunno, STAY UP and study if you have and exam the next day? Take some pride in your school, people. And that means more than wearing some shirt you got at the Book Exchange.

Posted by: kingrob76 | February 25, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I put something like this over on terrapins insider-

-->Ok one program! You can nitpik with anything. What's more likely getting into MD or Duke?

But if your not an engineering major which the vast majority aren't who the hell cares.

Do you want to go through law school rankings?

-->And how many students does Duke have compared to MD?

-->Maybe the school is concerned about their reputation, chant louder!

-->That's completely illogical. They make a lot of their $$$ through tv. How come nobody was complaining how late the Duke game was. I went to a school that actually charged to go to the games. When it's free you better show up. UNC is taking away the student allotment since they don't show up. Maybe that will wake up the crowd?

Enough of your sympathy for the student body, they have take a step back to the 80s. Any other excuses you want to make?

Posted by: someguy100 | February 24, 2011 8:07 PM

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Can we please stop talking about midterms? Seriously, that is the biggest joke of an excuse I have ever heard. 1500 students didn't show not because of a midterm, but because they quit on a team. They mistakenly think the season is over and our chances for an at large bid are over (or at least they thought so before the FSU game). Believe me, if we had beaten BC and Vtech last week, the students would have been out in full force. This had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with midterms. This had to do with front-running fans who, if we beat UNC, will be out in full force for the game against UVA next week.

Stop blaming the midterms. That is a joke.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The problem is 9 p.m. tip-offs. Its not about student support. School is competitive and students don't like 9 p.m. games. NCAA should do away with 9 p.m. games during the week. Booby Knight has gone on record when he coached sayig how much he disliked late games. Not good for watching on the tube either. I have to get up too early!

Posted by: jbeard32 | February 25, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Amen, SVP. Amen.

Posted by: ApBaby | February 25, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The issue that no one seems willing to talk about is the fact that Gary is underperforming. He has not put an elite product on the floor since the Nat'l Champoinship team. How long can he campaign on that accomplishment?

If he could simply recuit this area, the team would be in ACC championship contention year in and year out. But he cannot do that. So what happens is Duke and N. Carolina come in, take the area's best player and whoops MD's ass with them year in and year out.

Gary is a great coach (I guess), but he and his staff are horrible recruiters. Until that gets resolved the seats will be empty. This is the beginning of a long existing problem. MD has become a very average program. I'm sure some Gary lovers can bring out stats that say who has done this....or who has done that. But the point is, the state of MD and the DC Metro area is the most fertile basketball recuiting grounds in the country, and our home team REFUSES to recuruit them properly.

Here's to hiring Todd Bozeman.

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought | February 25, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

SVP and Gary are both cry babies. You have a bunch of factors all conspiring to bring down attendance somewhat in one game. 9:00 start, midterms, not exactly a rival or sexy team (FSU) for an opponent, a middling MD team...this stuff happens. I wish the whole country would pay a lot less attention to sports of all kinds, pro and college, we would be a hell of a lot better off.

Posted by: weljr65 | February 25, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

First - who cares about what an announcer thinks - report the damn game since you don't count.

Second - who was missing from the crowd, students or the paying ticket people? That is the real question. If it was season ticket holders and the off the street pay crowd - maybe they are tired of the season.

Not every game needs to be packed to capacity.

Posted by: Moderation | February 25, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, ripping kids because they might be more concerned about their future rather than a basketball game? I'm not sure that is the real reason, but I could hardly fault someone who chose to do schoolwork over attending a sporting event. Thats called having priorities, which we are constantly ripping kids for not having today.

Posted by: GKINMD | February 25, 2011 1:52 AM"
-->The students five years ago we're able to attend every game with similar start times, opponents, etc. I guess the quality of basketball is what change, it's gotten stale.

And if your comparing against Duke, why don't we downsize Comcast to create more demand. Isn't that what makes Duke so popular? Demand is greater than supply?

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: someguy100 | February 25, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@wmnatzakanian,
I love that idea of scanning after the games. It prevent the old scan and leave. The only concern I would have about that is students leaving early just to avoid lines at the end of the game just like the old people leaving the stadium early to avoid traffic.

Bottomline with technology they can prevent the "scan and leave."

I've already made this point charging some nominal fee for tickets might not be a bad thing. People don't think the tickets have any "value" since they are free. Where I went (Colorado) they charged for tickets so your damn right I went since I paid for it.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Agree fully w/ SVP.

There's less deep passion now. It should never matter how good/bad we are. Are you Maryland or not? That's ALL it should be about. Do you have that pride?

Is it that the kids are more future-driven now? maybe, but prob not... think it's more an issue of a swollen sense of entitlement.

Disagree w/ broz1.
I went to a D-III school an an undergrad and missed out on Cole Field... but always pulled heavy for MD. Another shot at the full "experience" was one of the drivers for me to choose CP for grad school --- and that from Van Munching - the farthest possible end from Comcast Center. Sat on that wall at almost every ACC game for 2 (non-tournament) years... saw epic Duke/UNC upsets... and would like to sneak in there again now.

Oh, and about being future-driven? not mutually exclusive... just gotta manage your time --- went to most of the games, got damn near a 4.0, and did a whole junk of stuff in between too.

Posted by: spark78 | February 25, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Van Pelt should have ripped Gary but we all know he doesn't have the guts. Since 2002 Gary has lulled a lot of people into a sense of complacency. Maryland basketball is capable of achieving better results(even with an 8% grad rate or whatever it was). Who wants to go see Gary choke basketball games away to inferior competition and not get into the tourney?!?!? Gary is washed up. We are all greatful for 2002 but that doesn't mean we will accept incompetence...at least I wont support it and I imagine most other competent professionals feel the same way.

Posted by: sjp879 | February 25, 2011 9:56 AM"

Well said sjp879. I think Gary should get to go out on his terms. But there is no question that the program has taken a step backwards.

We hold Fridge to a higher standard than Gary. This is a basketball school, shouldn't we hold the basketball program to a higher standard?

I keep hearing "third best program in the ACC" (that's like saying third best team in the AL East). So we don't aspire to be better than Duke or UNC?

But most importantly, we celebrate making the NCAAs instead of making the Sweet 16. They have gone to the NITS three times since 2004, when they hadn't done so previously since I started following them(I'm 25). And when they do make it, they can't get past the second round.

So Gary is so irreplaceable... are you telling me no other coach could get them into the Sweet 16? Not exactly high standards at a BASKETBALL school.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The mentality of Van Pelt and a majority of bloggers on this subject are akin to the Yahoo! editors featuring on their news site an NBA dunk when the Middle East is in turmoil and our lack of an energy policy will send gas prices over the top.
The cost of college athletics is excessive, including basketball, and especially in the cases of non-revenue producing sports. Coaches are paid too much and resources committed to pamper athletes in and out of the classroom are ridiculous. I guess when unemployment reaches 20 percent, groceries are unaffordable, cars are parked and not driven, and college costs exceed 30 thousand per semester, we will still be watching professional basketball players earning 25 million a year and smashing the piggy banks to get 65 dollars to attend a game - or drop everything to please Van Pelt when the Terps play CalTech.

Posted by: samueltillett | February 25, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

To the contrary, Maryland is far from the worst university in the DC area or east of the Mississippi for that matter. Per US News and World Report, Maryland is ranked 56 amongst the Best National Universities. The top 21 consists of only private schools. The top public school, the University of California –Berkeley is ranked 22. In fact, of the top 50 Best National Universities, only 15 of them are public schools of which six of those are University of California campuses. Maryland is ranked 18th in the Top 50 Public National Universities.

US New and World Report Best Colleges 2011

20,963 applied, 12,872 accepted
SAT 25/75 percentile: 10,50-1240
28% in top tenth
72% in top quarter
98% in top half

Posted by: TerpAlum | February 25, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"The fact is at the end of the day, this comes off as an alumnus calling current students "pathetic" for not having the same interests as him."

Posted by: someguy100 | February 25, 2011

But you could change his opinion by re-instituting the "You Suck" chant, right?

Posted by: Ol_Brob | February 25, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Caltech? The official attendance for that win was 387.

Posted by: someguy100 | February 25, 2011 10:44 AM"
-->You certainly don't know how to take a joke that's for sure. Can you give me the list 1-1000 of the best engineering schools in America?

CalTech is a D3 school!!!

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

One thing I believe these posts have proven is that the PASSION remains- so the question is Dan, are you going to take the reigns are expose the true issue at hand?

Its not studying, its winning.

Why are we losing? Because we have lesser talented players.

why are our players not elite? Because we don't recruit well (especially in our own region).

Why don't we recruit well? Maybe its because Gary took a lot of the local programs for granted sending assistants when he should have been there himself. Maybe he also got burned back in the day by Rudy Gay and has since sworn off all things AAU.

seems like a compelling story...

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | February 25, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Scott Van Pelt is exactly what is wrong with America. We're in a Recession--didn't he get the memo? So there are people at UMD going to school to learn things and earn a degree and make some valuable contribution to this country. As a Marylander, I want to see our university (paid for in part by my tax dollars) creating educated, valuable people--smart people, to use Van Pelt's phrase--who will bring some greatness to this country. Basketball takes a back seat to that any day, any time, anywhere.

Posted by: mdtay11 | February 25, 2011 11:28 AM"
-->The DC area is one of the most recession-proof areas. Not saying it doesn't happen but relatively speaking, the area as a whole is better off during these bad times than the rest of the nation.

But that being said, are Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas not in recessions right now? They sell out..

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I have to agree with Scott i'm not a UMD grad but i'm a huge Gary Williams fan and he gets the most out of the least and this bullsh_t about the Terps being elite PLEASE!! if they get elite recruits then those guys are one and done and that's why Gary won't recruit them.I get it that class is important i have an 18 yr old freshman and trust me for what i'm paying i want her to study. The ACC is one of the great conferences in college basketball today so if i'm a Maryland student then i go to the game and cheer my lung's out and have fun. Go Terps!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | February 25, 2011 11:30 AM"
-->There's a fine line for wanting to get the most out of subpar players and not recruiting one-and-dones?

If your satsified with consistent second round exits and NIT appearances OK. But clearly this program has lost it's luster.

It's amazing how brain washed some people are here. Gary gets a free pass compared to Ralph. Yes, he won a national championship but that was a decade ago.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: break20

Posted by: crabcakes | February 25, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey TerpAlum, keep comparing yourself to Towson and VCU.

Too bad Maryland is in a conference with:
Duke
UNC
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Boston College
Miami

All of which are ranked ahead of Maryland.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | February 25, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: jbeard32 | February 25, 2011 12:19 PM"
-->That is not a problem, it's an excuse. The Duke game was at 9 PM. The National Championship game is at 9 PM. UNC-Duke play at 9 PM. That used to be called PRIMETIME.

Anyways TV networks like to fit in as many games as they can on a given night(which is really two) so you have one game at 7 and then the other game at 9, then you can show SportsCenter or w/e.

It's beyond idiotic to suggest that MD should play at 7 PM and not be on TV.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: break20

Posted by: crabcakes | February 25, 2011 2:20 PM"
-->College Park is a very classy town I forgot...

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crabcakes | February 25, 2011 2:20 PM

I think every straw has now successfully been grasped in this comments section! Enough of the excuses - Maryland students had other things to do between 98 and 04 but they packed Cole and Comcast. All the sudden 35,000+ students were at the ballet, the library or in their bedrooms fretting about the recession?? The program has slid back a bit and the conference is not as riveting right now. That is all that matters.

It's also all that matters with the lower than hoped for attendance totals at FedEx Field, Nats Park and Verizon for the Wizards. You have to win to draw around here.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Instead of reading all of the nonsense first I decided to simply comment. Except for reading the first that states that it was mid-terms and how ---well you guys read it too so lets leave that one lie.BVP has and always will stand up for his school and fight for it,let me ask you folks what NATIONAL sports commentator in your lifetime EVER did that?I'll help NONE--EVER,I am 50 years old and never,I mean never has anyone in even a local news setting ever stood up for the UM in any capacity much less in this one which is the simpliest to quantify. Seriously,FREE TICKETS,this system sucks when these ungrateful creetons pick up their tickets only to redeem them so they can get more tickets to the "IN" game. Since when did it become only fashionable to be at the "it" game and "F" the rest. What a sorry assed student body,and the 1st comment piss off,there is much more to life and your college ed than what you speak. That is the damn problem with almost everything on our society today,from K-12 nothing matters but success,what happened to childhood,growing up.social skills?This is one of the reasons the world is as F'd up as it is,idiots that believe as you do sir---Broz1,get a life first, might help a hell of a lot more than you think. BVP I'm 100% behind your comments,if students don't care about the games and school spirit then F them and sell the tickets,discounted to people that care,Alums,that can't afford them but surely could use the boost that they get from "School Spirit" that the community gets form this and who care about the school not just how much they can screw us out of with their "Wall Street" bosses/crooks.I'm out. GO TERPS!!! I personally apologize to the team for their peers apathy and arrogance,you still have many that root you on and care,good luck.

Posted by: mfowler1 | February 25, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

-->College Park is a very classy town I forgot...

Posted by: break20

You're right. It's certainly not as nice as Durham. What a beautiful place.

I agree that the student fans should show up for all the games, not just Duke. I think most people here are on the same page about that.

Posted by: crabcakes | February 25, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Break20,

Why am I not the least bit surprised to learn that you are just 25 years old? You're telling me a 25 year old doesn't feel loyalty to the man who built this program from the ashes of the worst NCAA sanctions ever handed to a basketball program? What were you when that happened, 4 years old? Of course you don't have loyalty to Gary. But here's the good news: there is nothing, absolutely nothing, you or any of the young anti-Gary kids out there can do about it: Gary Williams is going to coach basketball at the university of maryland as long as he wants to. He has the backing of the boosters, he has the backing of the season ticket holders, and he is here to stay.

Deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's fire that guy and let Kevin Anderson pick our next coach. You either have to be extremely young or extremely naive, or both, to want Gary Williams replaced at MD.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

From a guy who supports a catholic school that hates catholics and runs a basketball program that "graduates" players who can't read, among many many other awuful qualities of the baskeball coaches, players and general alumni. Wonderful school you have there.

Posted by: MDFan | February 25, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Break20,

Deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 2:59 PM"
-->Well the writing is on the wall with KA's horrific handling of the Fridge as you know.

Yes, Gary did a lot but the program has regressed. How much longer should we be satisfied with the NIT and second round exits? Anyone born after 1997 that's all they can remember about Maryland basketball.

Do you believe in blind loyalty? I was somewhat in that corner until KA's handling of Fridge situation as he was turning around the program, he fired him.

The backing of the season ticket holders? Interesting, season ticket sales used to be very exclusive. You don't even have to be a Terp Club member anymore to get them.

I've said this before, I think Gary should get to go out on his own terms. But the recent play has been unacceptable.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

SVP is absolutely 110% percent correct, for people bashing him i bet none actually go to the school and see the people that actually attend it now. The amount of people in the libraries on a weekend is unbelievable and people at this school these days dont even know who Grievis Vasquez is or even the rules of the game or they dont like basketball because the sound the shoe makes when they run...and yes im being serious, kids there just dont like sports plain and simple they only care about there bio engineering homework or chem lab so they can get an A on it so mommy and daddy can be proud its ridiculous it doesn't matter if Puke or BC or whatever other smart school fills there arenas because they are "smart" also its just the type of people at maryland are completely different then what it used to be. As a current student and a senior i was at the FSU game, the entire game, even though i had 4...yes count that FOUR exams on thursday but if kids actually used time management these days maybe they can take a break from some stupid test that they end up trying to hard for and probably over studying and failing anyway and take two hours out of your day and just have fun, like one of my professors said, just relax for once go have a beer or play some pool and stop worrying about school for just a couple hours. but sadly i doubt the mind set at maryland is going to change anytime soon, i know i probably messed this up somewhere and people are gonna rip into this, and the ones that are probably dont even go to school at md or one of the ones that doesn't even go to the games cause they need to clean out there pocket protecters or fix there nerdy glasses, but i agree completely with SVP and i hope he reads this or ill find a way to send it to him myself

Posted by: skinsst21 | February 25, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"So I'm 25, I've lived in Maryland my whole life, my mother and all her siblings graduated from the school, yet I am not qualified to discuss this?"

Sure you can be young and perfectly qualified to discuss it. My point is that of those that don't have loyalty to Gary, so many are younger guys like yourself who don't fully appreciate what Gary did bc you were too young. If you were old enough to remember what this team was like in the late 80s early 90s, not on television, not allowed to play in the post season, having scholarships yanked from the program...well, from that to 14 ncaa appearances in 17 years, to winning a share of the ACC title less than a year ago, it's hard to imagine anyone who remembers those days well calling for Gary's head.

And I say he has the backing of the ticket holders because Gary always gets the loudest applause when they say his name...even after tough losses like the ones last week. The people who matter--those who pay to attend games and those who donate the big dollars to the university--they unequivocally support Gary. And that's why I say calling for his head is so completely pointless...there is simply no chance in the world he is going anywhere unless HE wants to.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Gary Williams record at MD. 14 ncaa tournaments in last 17 years. 10 consecutive 1st round wins in the NCAA tourney in our last 10 trips (longest streak of any coach in the country). 7 sweet 16s. 4 ACC titles. 2 Finals fours. And the reigning ACC coach of the year after tying the National Champion Duke for the ACC title last year.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 3:02 PM"
-->Thanks for past Gary's resume. Those 10 times in 10 trips are the times we make it. What's the second round record (and later) since the 2003-04 season?

Barno are you like 75 or something?, you are acting like the elder statesman.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"There isn't much other entertainment competing for students' interest in these places.

Posted by: crabcakes | February 25, 2011 2:20 PM

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2011 2:28 PM"
-->Kev29 wins post of the day!

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks for past Gary's resume. Those 10 times in 10 trips are the times we make it. What's the second round record (and later) since the 2003-04 season?"

And you keep bringing up NITs since 2003-2004...since, again, you are cherry picking stats, do you mind if I just look at our record since 2008-2009? 2 straight NCAA tourneys...clearly our program is on the right path when you consider just the last 2 years which included a share of an ACC title with Duke.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

to MDFan: I don't support Georgetown, I live there. It's a neighborhood- you do know that right?

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | February 25, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

2 straight NCAA tourneys...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 4:19 PM

You know who brags about 'making' NCAA tournaments? Winthrop fans.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

All right, i just read all these comments and i think we are getting way off base. I went to MD during the Bob Wade era. If you don't know who Bob Wade is/was, just stop reading now. Regardless of the fact that we had the worst coach in the ACC at the time, students still fulfilled their obligation and showed up. Why? Because we had pride in our team. Since my college days, I've become a season ticket holder and i am amazed at the inconsistent fan base among the students. Sure, let's go watch Duke and then we'll go when we can to other games. Seriously? Why don't you just stroke their egos a little more? Hey, Duke You're more important than anybody else! That makes me want to puke. For the students who care, here's a few pointers: 1. Memorize the schedule as soon as it comes out. 2. Memorize the starting lineups of all opponents by the time the season starts - paying particular attention to players who are from around here. 3. Stay up on news of opponents brushes w. the law or university. 4. study the names of all the conference referees and be able to recognize them by the start of the season. I'm not going to debate how smart or dumb Md. students have become, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I bleed Md. athletics, and i dont look for excuses to miss games. I live an hour away from campus now and i attended very home basketball game and football game, incl. a couple road games. Not looking for applause just fact. You want to compete with the big boys in college basketball, it starts with showing up!

Posted by: llloyd4terps | February 25, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"Since you arbitrarily chose "since the 2003-2004 season" do you mind if I arbitrarily choose since the 93 season? His second round record is 7-7. Not bad considering you are usually playing a very good team in the 2nd round of the ncaas.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 4:19 PM"
-->I didn't "arbitrarily" choose it, it's been almost a DECADE since we had any real success.

People have taken notice- crowds are thinning at Comcast, recruits aren't choosing MD, etc.

Answer my question: Is this acceptable to you, as in the state of the program since 2004?

Just admit the program has taken a major step backwards.

Do you think we can make the Sweet 16 this year?

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn’t realize this was a comparison of Maryland against the other ACC schools. I chose a school in Maryland, some in the DC metro area and some east of the Mississippi because they were mentioned in another post. Since it was brought up, however, I’ll use the Big East rankings this time.

Notre Dame 19
Georgetown 21
Syracuse 55
Pittsburgh 64
Rutgers 64
Connecticut 69
Marquette 75
Seton Hall 136
DePaul 136
St. John’s 143
Cincinnati 156
Louisville 176
West Virginia 176
South Florida 183

Providence College & Villanova are regionally versus nationally ranked so they can not be compared.

I’d print the freshman admission stats but I don’t think it’s necessary because you’re reading from the same magazine that I am.

Posted by: TerpAlum | February 25, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to loyalty and supporting your university that gave you your degree and a national championship in both football and basketball?

I went to Maryland during it's hay day 99-2003 and I missed 4 total games for football and basketball my whole career.

The DC Metro is completely fair weather fans. Let's see what happens when the Caps go through another downturn.

I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years now and I was at every single game for the 2009 2-10 season supporting my team and alma mater no matter what.

Scott Van Pelt couldn't have put it any better and I completely support him. Our fans are awful and they can't even control themselves by swearing instead of cheering for their own team. They're so worried about the other guy, like Duke, when you need to worry about your team and support them instead of cheering against the other team. If you support your team, you are cheering against the other team and doing it the right way.

It's all evidence of everything that is going on with our society today and how we are in such a downturn right now. If things are in your favor, take full advantage and come along for the ride. But the second something adverse happens, get out or run the other way so you're not apart of it instead of supporting and trying to fight through the adversity.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | February 25, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

DieHardTerp,
Are DC fans really any different than any other fan base? I mean you got the Cubs, Packers, and some other teams who seem to have "blind loyalty," but the vast majority of fans don't start supporting the teams until they start winning.

Posted by: break20 | February 25, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Break20,

You just proved my point. All teams are going to have bandwagon fans but you probably names 2 of the most loyal fan bases. It's sounds like you're in the unloyal category questioning loyalty itself.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | February 25, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Standing ovation to SVP. Right on buddy! Where were the students? Where were the other ticket holders?

As for academics, fine. Take your books to the game and study there while waiting for the game to start. That's what we did back in the day. God how I miss Cole!

As for basketball, I can't count the number of stars I have seen pass through Cole and Comcast. More than any other conference. I particularly enjoyed the Len Bias v. Michael Jordan and the Buck Williams v. Ralph Sampson matchups.

The ACC has won five of the last ten NCAA championships. No conference, in this day and age, can ask for more than that. And, I love that I have been blessed to get to two Final Fours. What a great experience they were.

The ACC is also the best conference, academically speaking, of any conference in the country save the Ivy League. Only the Big Ten and Pac Ten even come close.

Where are the students???? I don't know. Perhaps they take the whole thing for granted these days. SVP is right, they only want to see one game a year, and that is sad. Very sad.

Frankly, I wish we would play a few games in Cole. How I miss that place.

Posted by: steven09 | February 25, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank You so much SVP. I agree with you 100 percent. Like I said in my post yesterday, my friends and I are seniors, commute to Maryland, get to the gates an hour before doors open, get our courtside seats and attend every Basketball game. We go to class, do our papers and study, but we also support our team. We do a heck of a lot more on campus than the nerds who live on it. It’s just amazing that we have one of the nicest college basketball arenas in the country and people are to freaking lazy to walk out their dorms to a game. People at Maryland are so worried about their grades that they don’t take the time to enjoy the features of college such as Athletics. The reason why Maryland has become such a high academic standard school is because of our Athletics. However, it seems it has drawn in too many people who don’t care about sports that much.

I have lived in Maryland my whole life; I have always been a Terps fan and always planned on going to Maryland. Sure, I was excited for classes, but, it’s class, same as high school, I came for the sports and to support my team and state. I remember when I was in middle school not having some of my classes because my teachers let us listen to the tournament when Maryland won in 2002. Watching greats like Juan Dixon light up Cole field house, Greivis light up Comcast and seeing the atmosphere of both Cole and Comcast has been great. However, the game on Wednesday was not of that at all. There are just so many stuck up people worried about getting into graduate school wasting thousands of more dollars for a degree they don’t need that they just totally miss enjoying what the college provides them. It seems people just study so hard Monday- Thursday and when the weekend comes they go totally wild but they also miss the athletics that occur during the week. Again, people complain about rising tuition, well, you also pay for athletics fees, use them; we use ours to the max!!!! . Go Terps.

Posted by: cbdude | February 25, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't "arbitrarily" choose it, it's been almost a DECADE since we had any real success."

Interesting you chose the word "decade" but refuse to include the entire decade in your summary of Gary's recent work. Doing so would include 3 sweet 16s, 3 acc titles, 2 final fours and a national championship, so you conveniently cut out those first 4 years of the "decade" and instead focus on everything since 2004. Lets look at those "horribly unacceptable" seasons since the championship, shall we?

2003: sweet 16
2004: acc tournament title and a 4 seed in ncaas
2005: lost our best player (strawberry) due to injury early on, still beat number 1 seed duke not once but twice, and came within 1 win of ncaa tourney
2006: lost our highest scorer (McCray) early on, still came within 1 win of ncaa tourney
2007: 25 win team, enough said. Had chance to go to sweet 16 but turned ball over on final possession in 2nd round
2008: rebuilding with 3 sophomore starters, still came within 1 win of ncaa tourney
2009: Beat national champ UNC to get momentum heading into acc tourney, beat nc state and top 10 wake to get Ncaa bid, then beat solid California team

Oh how horrible the times have been. No losing seasons, no 20 loss seasons like UNC has had this decade. Our WORST season has been a 19 win season.

People need to get a grip when it comes to Gary Williams. He is not going anywhere and there is nothing you can do about it. So either support the guy or go root for another team.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

It's sounds like you're in the unloyal category questioning loyalty itself.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | February 25, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Of course he is disloyal. The guy already admitted he didn't even go to Maryland. Seriously, if you didn't go to Maryland and aren't a season ticket holder...why should the school should listen to you and fire our Hall of Fame coach?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

What cbdude mentions about waning interest in athletics - and by the way, keep up the good work. glad to see there are some passionate students still on our campus - isnt it our beloved AD's job to keep our student body interested in sports? Or is he on another witch hunt to can another coach?

Posted by: llloyd4terps | February 25, 2011 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

-------------------------------------

Done. GO MASON!!!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 26, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Will SVP get his panties in a bunch and whine and complain when the Terps are going to their 4th NIT in the past 8 years?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 26, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"2004: acc tournament title and a 4 seed in ncaas
2010: ACC title, ACC Coach of the Year, ACC Player of the Year, Cousy Award winner, National 3-point champ award winner, last second buzzer beating 3 pointer by eventual final four team knocks us out of tourney"
-->I said ALMOST decade and I'm not including the 2002-03 season. I'll trade some individual accolades AND February victories for a few Sweet 16s and the occasional Elite Eight appearance.

Are you satsified with the lack of postseason success?

Seems like their resume of the last ALMOST decades contains too many "one win aways"

Posted by: break20 | February 26, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, to some just making the NCAA's is enough to make them happy.

To others (like myself) just making the NCAA's isn't good enough while trips to the Sweet-16 should be the bare-bones minimum.

Oh well.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 26, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

This whole thread is FULL of off-base generalizations, from Terps and non-Terps alike, like any other YouTube ridiculous argument.

Here are some facts: SVP did not graduate from UMD. He left early to pursue his career in broadcasting. Don't believe Wikipedia.

This conversation should have never been about academics vs. school pride in the first place. The low attendance could not have possibly been because of too many exams in one week.

It's about motivation. Terp fans attended games for a while to see a team with an identity, a group of guys that they could relate to and get behind. i.e. Vasquez with his fire and ability, J. Williams for his potential and prospect, Hayes with his consistent and exciting 3-point play, Neal for his raw energy and heart. Now, what do we have? Who is our team?

Where are the fast-breaks? The good defense? The DUNKS? The blocked shots? The emphatic plays? The only way we beat Florida State was because of a missing Singleton. Our players play with a lot of heart, no doubt, and it's always rewarding to see. But we don't have a TEAM yet. We don't have that identity yet. And the season is almost over. THAT'S why people don't go to games. There's nothing to talk about the day after.

"Did you see that Milbourne dunk? Wasn't that Vasquez cross-over ridiculous? The alley-oop to J.Will? HOLY CRAP that was ridiculous?! Did you see that???"

None of that anymore. When THAT comes back to Maryland basketball, that's when we'll stop caring about only Duke, or come only when we are winning.

The majority of Maryland basketball fans (here comes a generalization that might actually be valid) aren't necessarily BASKETBALL fans, they are fans of a TEAM. They are fans of players, of characters, of exclamations. That's why we are known to be so passionate (read: vulgar). That's my theory. And that's the reason for people not going to games.

Posted by: pranu0719 | February 27, 2011 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Graduated UMD in 06, went in with superb SATs...so that explanation is crap...def would not have missed a bubble conference game to the 3rd place ACC team - but then again, I wouldn't have been able to get tickets back then!

Posted by: BmoreGal | February 27, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

guess the attendence if md was ranked 10th? hey gary, when were we last a consistent top 25 team? 6 yrs ago? 7?

unc has 5 new starters this yr and blows us out of the water....

Posted by: winterps1 | February 28, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

unc has 5 new starters this yr and blows us out of the water....

--------------------------------------

Hey who cares, some of those guys are elite one and done talents that Gary doesn't want. Coach K wants them, Roy Williams wants them, Coach Cal wants them, and so does Coach Boheim.........but not Gary.

So don't complain when they blow us out the water. Just be glad we have a coach that does not want them!

Posted by: UnFamiliarThought | March 2, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse