Posted at 3:24 PM ET, 02/ 2/2011

Shaun Suisham is glad the Redskins cut him

By Dan Steinberg

(By Gene J. Puskar - AP)

More than a year after the Redskins cut Shaun Suisham, the former kicker still elicits a surprising amount of passion in this town. I can't tell you how many people have gleefully told me they're hoping he misses a potential game-winning field goal for the Steelers on Sunday. Or that they expect he'll do that. Or that they're certain he'll do that. Or that they just bet next month's mortgage payment that he'll do that.

Rick Maese did a nice job catching up with Suisham during the AFC playoffs, but he talked even more Redskins during Super Bowl Media Day, when ESPN 980's Andy Pollin grabbed him for a few minutes.

"It's part of being a kicker in the NFL," Suisham said of being cut by the Skins despite making 18 of 21 field goal attempts. "I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out, though. It brought me here."

Later, he said he "couldn't be more excited" to be with Pittsburgh, and that "this has worked out just great." Still later, he was asked about the knowledge that one missed kick can change his life.

"That's not the way that I approach things," Suisham said. "I mean, you certainly see that from time to time, it does happen that way some times. But like I said, now I'm glad I got cut."

"I'm Glad I Got Cut; the Story of the 2009 Washington Redskins." Has a certain ring to it. Pollin attempted to bait Suisham into saying something bad about Redskins or Cowboys ownership, which he cleverly declined to do. But he did make it clear how happy he is.

"They're all wonderful jobs in the NFL, absolutely," Suisham said. "Every job you can get in the NFL is awesome. Here, certainly, coming from ownership, there's a sense where it's maybe not as corporate. And for me, it's an environment that is conducive to just getting ready for the game and enjoying the game of football. It's awesome. I love it."

Whereas in Washington....

"You're trying to take me somewhere I'm not going," the eminently unquotable Suisham demurred. "I'm just happy in Pittsburgh. Real happy. But I'm very thankful for my opportunities with the Redskins and the Cowboys. I wish them the best. But I'm happy I'm a Pittsburgh Steeler right now, for sure."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 2, 2011; 3:24 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau won't be cheering for the Steelers
Next: Brooks Laich wants more hunger

Comments

Dude just isn't a clutch kicker. He'll hit the 45 yarder in the first quarter when it's 0-0 but when it comes down to the game winner his brain gets scrambled.

Good luck in the Super Bowl, I'll be pulling for Pittsburgh but for their sake I hope the game doesn't rest on his leg.

Posted by: Parlett316 | February 2, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 2, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Suisham than Gano

Posted by: MillBurray | February 2, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Suisham doesn't want to say anything bad about the Redskin for fear he'll be sued.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 2, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Guy was a class act here and will prob turn into another David Akers. He is one Steeler I will be cheering on and if the Steelers win I hope he hits the game winner. Maybe Synder will sue Suisham for missing 3 FG's in 2009

Posted by: karl_grebe | February 2, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for his Ray Finkle moment. We saw it against the saints. The noose is tightening and he is all set for a massive choke on the biggest sports stage in the world!

Posted by: wynnebs | February 3, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"To be sure, people want Swish to miss because they hate Pittsburgh, not because they hate Swish. It's so goddamned painful to constantly have former players thrive elsewhere, and former Pro Bowlers on other teams arrive here and suck. I ache from this fact. Swish helping the Steelers to the Super Bowl is like salt in the wound. Him missing, and Steelers fans' suffering, is the band-aid."

I love this comment, Thanks! As for someone I use jokingly call "Swiss-Ham-Sandwhich", he's really not that much different that the PK we've had in the last few years, serviceable but can choke in the worst ways at the worst times. At least Swiss-Ham-Sandwhitch didn't choke, from what I remember on a game tying EXTRA POINT...ulike Grahm "Bat Guano" Gano.

Posted by: eello | February 3, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Just like the rest of the,"CRY BABIES" I remember, on this very post, he was praying to stay in Washington and almost cried about it.
Hey, i wish him good luck and never thought he was that bad,inconsistant, but not bad. My problem is statements made like, "I'm glad they cut me"....come on...grow the heck up...Guess you can say this AFTER you get blessed with bieng on a successful team.

Posted by: briannalynn21 | February 3, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Typical Redskins move, cut Suisham who made 85% of his field goals and replace him with Gano who made 68%. Now that's what I call progress. Hail to The Redskins.

Posted by: scg1055 | February 4, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

85% is a mirage bro, 48 yards was his top range, and the skins rarely made him kick from 49+. He missed game winners/tyers on a constant basis. Good guy, inconsistant and weak-legged Kicker. Remember the kickoffs? He gives the Returner a 10-yard head start every time.

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 4, 2011 7:15 AM | Report abuse

IMAGINE THAT....THE WASHINGTON MEDIA TRYING TO BAIT SOMEONE IN TO SAYING SOMETHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE REDSKINS......GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!!! THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN THE POST'S AND OTHER LOCAL MEDIA'S HATE AGENDA TOWARDS THE REDSKINS, IS HOW EASILY THEY BRAINWASH THE WEAK MINDED REDSKINS FANS!!! I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD LIVE TO SEE THE DAY THAT REDSKINS FANS TURNED THEIR BACK ON THEIR TEAM, AND JOINED FORCES WITH THE MEDIA IN THROWING ROCKS AT THEIR OWN TEAM, AND MAKING THEM AN EVEN BIGGER JOKE IN THE NATIONAL VIEW. CONGRATULATIONS REDSKINS FANS FOR ALLOWING THE WASHINGTON POST AND ALL THE OTHER HATE MONGERS TO TURN YOU TO THE DARK SIDE.....SIMPLE MINDED FOOLS!

Posted by: frmi | February 4, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Getting cut from a sorry-a$$ed, pitiful team that has had 2 winning seasons since 1999 is a reward, not a punishment. Just add Suisham to the long list of players who've gone to better careers once they've left Washington. If you really want to punish a player, make him STAY on the 'skins.

Posted by: tigger0705 | February 4, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

The reviled Randle-El was also welcomed back with loving arms by a real team. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/02/04/sports/football/AP-FBN-Super-Bowl-Returning-Steelers.html?ref=football

If Superman were brought to the Redskins, the team would be a big block of kryptonite. Hahahahahahahahahaha......

Posted by: edwcorey | February 4, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

a young kicker makes 86% of his field goals and gets cut.

that makes perfect sense.

now he's kicking in the superbowl and dumb-dumb redskins fan say "he's not clutch".

what clutch kicks were there for a 4-12 team? even if all three of his missed field goals were game losers, the team still would have been 7-9.

maybe after the superbowl is over, he and greg williams, ryan clark, mark brunell, antoine randle el, pierson prioleau, and antonio pierce can get together and compare superbowl rings.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | February 4, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Suisham. Hope he kicks a game winner on the last play of the superbowl

Posted by: coparker5 | February 4, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Most players who leave the Skins keep their mouths shut. But you can bet Fat Albert and Stink Nugget won't.

Of course, all the fanboys will insist they're just disgruntled ex-employees and refuse to listen.

But the bottom line is clear: this is a dysfunctional organization led by a miserable little toad.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | February 4, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse