Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Snyder hopes McNabb is his 2011 starting QB

By Dan Steinberg

Daniel Snyder gave about seven zillion interviews on Friday, and I'm still trying to track them all down, but in at least two he said explicitly that he hopes Donovan McNabb is the team's 2011 starting quarterback. Here he was on the Jim Rome Show.

Rome: "Who's your starting quarterback next year?"

Snyder: "Hopefully it's Donovan McNabb. Right now it's Donovan McNabb. I think he's a proven leader, and a terrific person, terrific person. And I'm hopeful we'll continue as we had last season."

Snyder said much the same to 103.3, ESPN Radio's Dallas affiliate.

The rest of the Rome interview was largely about Snyder's maturation as an owner, which is how the segment started.

"I've matured," Snyder said. "As humans, we get older. I got the club, I was 34 years old, and I'm 46 now. I've been around the block, I understand how patient you have to be in the NFL, and how much effort you have to do as well. So it's taken me some time, but I'm like a good wine, I'm maturing with age. It's something that I'm proud of. I'm proud of a lot of the accomplishments, and I'm proud of the direction now of the franchise with Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen. I've got some really good people. They're doing a nice job, and working hard."

Later, Rome asked Snyder if this was difficult.

"No, it's the same process I went through with Joe Gibbs for four years," Snyder said. "As Joe said, he had no budget, and he exceeded it. So my role is to help sign the checks, support what they want to do and their missions in free agency, and whatever decision and route they take I'm sure will be different than what Joe did, but I'll be the same as I was with him. And I think he went on the record just recently again, reiterating the same thing, that his experience with me was spectacular, and I was supportive and never said no to him, as he said."

By Dan Steinberg  | February 7, 2011; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Snyder on Haynesworth
Next: Nick Young's Afro is incredible

Comments

One more pile on:

"So it's taken me some time, but I'm like a good wine, I'm maturing with age."

It's clear from statements like that, he's either the least self-aware person on the planet or he is just genuinely terrible at PR. Because it's apparent to everyone on the planet aside from him, maturation is not screaming "I'M MATURE NOW" with really terrible platitudes about maturation. Maturing invovles.............actually acting mature, growing a thicker skin, letting GOOD football people truly run the show, and "not" threatening a free paper with bankrupcy for an unflattering portrayal.

Posted by: jbanks979 | February 7, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is the most immature 46-year there is. Time to finally haave your Copernican revelation.

Lose the name Redskins. Cortland Malloy got it right: football fans won't hate you for it. More people will admire you for it.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 7, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If a bottle of wine is bad, doesn't it just turn to vinegar as it ages?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 7, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

As I've always suspected, the entire fiasco was mostly that freakin Vinny Cerrato loser!! That's why he could not find another job in football!!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 7, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Lawsuit. Not mature.

Posted by: 202character | February 7, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good boy, Dan! Keep your comments nice and fawning or you will get sued!! I am not sure that little DannyBoy wants to take on the rest of us, but he was a putz before he bought the team, has been a putz since he owned, and will always be a putz. He single-handedly took one of the most respected organizations in the NFL and has taken it right down the tubes.

Danny wants McNabb to be his quarterback?? I thought he was going to keep his useless fingers off and really give the coaching staff an opportunity to build a team. Team, Danny. Not a random collection of your favorite old players who are smart enough to take far more than they are worth and then moan about not being treated like kings.

Posted by: seazen | February 7, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Buckles, we've heard this all before. You've proven yourself incapable of being a competent owner and my favorite team will never win with you at the top of the org chart.

Please sell the team.

Posted by: buster_c | February 7, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Is this an indication that the trade for McNabb, and the contract he was given this year, are largely the result of Snyder's pressures, although Shanahan and Allen are resisting more strongly than earlier coaches/GMs?

Posted by: asdf5 | February 7, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If he really was taking the hands off approach that he says he is, the correct answer to who the starting qb is is whoever shanny decides is the starting qb is the starting qb. Not that I agree with shanny but I do think there are signs here and there that a lot of this hands off stuff is just a PR front and nothing legitimate.

Posted by: mja712 | February 7, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mja712 | February 7, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Bronco Fan and a former fan of Shanny. He won two Super Bowls here but in the following decade the teams were less than average. He was a control freak and the GM reported to him. He made poor decisions on selecting players and especially the QB position. I don't know anything about Allen but it might work if Allen selects the players and shanahan only does the coaching.

Posted by: jjbaill | February 7, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

how could snyder possibly want mcnabb as the skins quarterback? what an idiot

Posted by: slick3 | February 8, 2011 3:40 AM | Report abuse