Posted at 3:57 PM ET, 02/ 3/2011

On Daniel Snyder's suit against City Paper

By Dan Steinberg

NOTE: The original headline of this item said the Redskins were suing City Paper, rather than that Daniel Snyder is.

Let me again gently poke my toe into these swirling rapids surrounding Daniel Snyder and the City Paper, since my intense love for transcribing radio interviews about the Redskins just cannot be quenched.

One of the main questions my friends have been asking is this: Even if he were aggrieved, why would Snyder be interested in pursuing this matter now, two and a half months after the story in question appeared, when doing so would only bring more attention to the story? This is a question LaVar Arrington asked several times on Wednesday, when Redskins COO David Donovan and PR guy Tony Wyllie appeared on 106.7 The Fan.

"Well LaVar, I'll tell you what," Wyllie answered. "When you're being accused of being a criminal, and when you make fun of your wife having breast cancer or being a national spokesperson for breast cancer, that crosses the line in my eyes."

Now, I've made clear before that I'm friends with Dave McKenna, the author of this City Paper piece. Still, I think I can separate that friendship enough to quote the passage Wyllie is referring to. Here it is:

[Dan Snyder's] wife, Tanya Snyder, is out selling the transformation, too. Last week she went on local TV to tell an interviewer that he is now surrounded by "better people," and that he's "grown and he's evolved."

Personally, I don't see that as making fun of someone for having breast cancer, or for being a spokesperson for breast cancer awareness. Neither did TBD; you can see a screen shot from the interview above. Clearly, TBD thought Tanya Snyder was talking about substantive changes in the team's owner, just as McKenna did.

But Wyllie at least twice referred to McKenna attacking Snyder's wife, saying "I have a wife. You attack your wife, that crosses the line. It crosses the line."

At which point Chad Dukes popped up to ask where McKenna had attacked Snyder's wife.

"It's in the beginning of it, where the writer basically demeans her role as a national spokesman for the NFL for breast cancer awareness and characterizes her as a spokesperson for the transformation of Dan's public image," Donovan said. "She's a breast cancer survivor, and she's gone on television, she's gone on radio, she's done press conferences, and she talks about breast cancer awareness and that's all she talks about. And during one interview four or five months ago, somebody asked her [for] a comment about Dan and she gave a one-sentence answer, and the columnist turns that into a comment that she's basically a spokesman for the transformation of her husband's public image, which is really quite demeaning to a very public and personal role she's had in the media to raise breast-cancer awareness."

Well look, I'm pretty well acquainted with this interview. It came on TBD's Parker and Parker, and it hit the Web because I asked Julie Parker (one of the hosts) to help me get the audio. Parker wound up getting me the video, which I duly posted, with some quotes.

The interview had two segments. The first was about the Fit For You 5K, and childhood obesity, and the NFL's campaign to spur childhood activity, and the NFL's line of women's apparel. The words "breast" and "cancer" were never mentioned.

The first segment lasted for about 5 minutes and 10 seconds, and Daniel Snyder wasn't mentioned. Then they took a commercial break. After that, they talked about football and her husband for the final six or so minutes of the interview. I transcribed 17 sentences of Tanya Snyder talking about football and her husband and how much fun he is and how much he wants to win, though I didn't transcribe the entire thing. I just went back and listened again. She talked about her husband for 52 sentences, including eight that were specifically about how he'd changed or evolved or gotten more comfortable in his role or with his employees. Please, watch the two-segment interview here, and decide for yourself if it was more about breast cancer (which was never mentioned) or about Daniel Snyder's transformation.

Anyhow, Arrington persisted in asking how much influence City Paper could really have to get the Redskins this fired up, and Donovan then answered the question I asked at the top: why do this?

"In the internet age, when something gets published, and it gets linked to and linked to and linked to -- and you can go around the internet and see the number of times people have linked to that column from the November City Paper," Donovan said. "I will grant you, nobody reads the City Paper, all right? But that article's been linked to on the Internet a lot of times."

I would submit it's been linked to a lot more times over the past two days. But I'm not a lawyer.

There are, of course, a few factual matters that the Redskins are disputing. And then there's the charge that the cover image was anti-Semitic, which Wyllie also discussed.

"I wasn't really [abreast] in Jewish culture, but I have at least five Jewish friends that I texted about this, and unanimously, they were very upset," he said. "Rabbi Cooper, when he found out about it, he was very angry about it and very offended....I mean, let me make a point: Dan has never sued anyone in the media. He understands, he's in a high-profile position. You're gonna get criticized. But one thing you're not gonna put up with is lies. You're not allowed to come out and just lie about you. And we let them know that we're upset about it, and they left us no choice."

You can listen to the Donovan and Wyllie interview here.

By Dan Steinberg  | February 3, 2011; 3:57 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas was like Denzel Washington, and his sharks are dead, and he expects to be booed
Next: Brett Haber on Daniel Snyder

Comments

Steinberg- what is your opinion on the image of Snyder with the devil horns in the article? I remember you also took slight umbrage and/or uncomfortableness to when a t-shirt had Snyder with devil horns and wads of cash in his fists (during the burgundy revolution bog posts). Thoughts?

Posted by: PropJoe | February 3, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein on the Brink nailed the response to this lawsuit.

Posted by: rdpinva | February 3, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

#slandersnyder

Posted by: locl | February 3, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Are ticket prices going to increase to fund this lawsuit??

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 3, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Snyder = pwnd

And yes, the horns were excessive, but when you combine them with goatee and other scribbles it just looks like the editors were making Snyder's picture more closely resemble the buffoon from their story.

Posted by: nibars16 | February 3, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Good god these people are dumb.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 3, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The only lie is Snyder calling himself a businessman.

He is a nerdy little pointdexter who thinks he can get back at people by suing them when all his flaws are put together on a list. Also this Wyllie guy is delusional and is clearly drinking the Kool Aid/getting paid astronomical money to defend indefensible positions.

I can't believe they dragged you into this Steinz. You are the only reporter I read regularly from the post and your coverage of the fan base shows you have your finger on the pulse of why there is all the vitriol for $nyder. Clearly Snyder believes you/Dave McKenna/media in general fomented all the rage about him because there is NO way the fans could've come to that conclusion on their own. Puh-lease, it is insulting that they blame others instead of looking in the mirror.

Keep doing what you do Dan & Dave, we need more reporters like you, not ones who are paid by the organization they are covering.

Posted by: paranoya333 | February 3, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

if they wanted to print something false they would've said that snyder has won several superbowls, is well respected in the town in addition to being kind like the Kent Cooke family.

Posted by: copedog311 | February 3, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This has to be one of the weakest lawsuits ever filed. This will never get to discovery. Snyder will drop it because of the continual abuse he'll take - and it will be plentiful! With football over and the other sports orbiting the lower rungs of fan interest, this story will have legs.

Clearly there's a lot of lying going on at Redskin Park. I blame the lawyers. They never turn down a chance to rack up those billable hours.

Posted by: Misty630 | February 3, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the City Paper can turn around and sue Danny Boy, if for nothing more than to recoup legal fees.

Seriously, Dan Snyder just does not get it.

Wonder what it is I've done to get "lucky" enough to have Dan Snyder and Peter Angelos as owners of 2 sports team I root for.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 3, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I did not get the anti-semetic thing with the graffiti pic but the whole thing paints a painfull picture of an owner who has changed or evolved into a better place. What is STILL NOT UNDERSTOOD is it takes an entire team to win and not a handfull of free agents. Look at the Pats only truly high profile guy is Brady. The 1st thing a real GM (Bobby Beathard)did was build a strong O-line & D-line.

Its a simple game run the ball well & overpower the other teams offense. Then you can win 3 championships with 3 different QB's.

Posted by: mdepo | February 3, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I am a season ticket holder and blindly loyal to the redskins, so I must defend Snyder a little here. Specifically, the article accuses snyder of:

1. Forging signatures as a telemarketer while at Snyder communications(Federal Offense)....
2. Selling 9/11 merchandise for profit.
3. Using Hurricane Katrina to cancel a lease for profit.
4. Charging a $4 per ticket surcharge for security after 9/11.
5. Exploiting Cancer and Diabetes patients.

These are some of the items that Snyder (and his lawyers) are saying are false and baseless accusations. I know for a fact that #4 is a lie because I have had season tickets since 9/11 and was never charged a surcharge for security. You cannot mix in blatant lies with facts and half truths and completely blast someone without reprucussions. If what the guy wrote is true, he should have nothing to worry about.

Alot of the items in the article are ridiculous accustations... he claims snyder is responsible for 1. selling beer in the mens room, 2. making a chinese actor perform using ethnic sterotypes in an audition, 3. selling expired peanuts, 4. Overcharging for a toy in the giftshop. Do people really think the chairman of a multi-$billion company deals with this type of minutia. If Snyder were to know about it and not take action, that is one thing, but there is nothing to back such an assertion up.

Also, he is suing for $2million and any judgement that is awarded is going to be donated to the DC homeless.

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

thats my problem with Angelos 4 years in I had to give up on the O's due a duffis owner and I am real close to finding a new football team maybe I should start watching more football (soccer)??

Posted by: mdepo | February 3, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What a really small man Danny boy is.

I'm not a millionaire but if City Paper
made fun of me I wouldn't care. Why
does low self-esteem, high school educated
Snyder care so much about a small paper pounding his stupidity.

He's rich, but he is a loser, the kind of guy who has a for sale sign on his car which hasn't been washed or cleaned in years.

So sad and so stupid and small--hey that's our owner!

Posted by: soc22210 | February 3, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

What a really small man Danny boy is.

I'm not a millionaire but if City Paper
made fun of me I wouldn't care. Why
does low self-esteem, high school educated
Snyder care so much about a small paper pounding his stupidity.

So sad and so stupid and small--hey that's our owner!

Posted by: soc22210 | February 3, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Not to split hairs, but the Redskins are not suing the City Paper, Daniel Snyder is, as an individual. There is a huge difference.

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 3, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

i think forsythe332 works for snyder communications.

Posted by: ewww | February 3, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

But he has been KILLING my team by trying to stay involved when he knows nothing about building or being on a winning team.

Posted by: mdepo | February 3, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 would appear to be a plant>?;)

Posted by: mdepo | February 3, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry... I'm not an employee of the redskins or any snyder affiliated company. I just cant stand the blatant lies that constantly get written about this guy. The integrity of the journalist profession is quickly deteriorating.

Just a loyal redskins fan. If people drop there seats, it just means mine will get moved closer to the action.

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 is such a plant. I'm telling you if they wanted to lie about the man they would've said he runs a very classy organization that is geared towards the fans and is following a long term plan to win several superbowls of which he already has won. All of that is false. I would write that on a sign, but it would probably get confiscated at the gate.

Posted by: copedog311 | February 3, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

forsythe,

There is video on YouTube of them selling beer in the men's room. The expired peanuts was provable and noted when it happened and overcharging at the gift shop is also provable. Also the amusement park leaving NOLA after Katrina is well documented too and I believe was even mentioned by Mayor Nagin at the time. As for knowing the minutia of the operations, no I don't believe Dan knew all of it but this is the sort of atmosphere he has created in an organization that values the $ over performance. Your defense is pretty weak.

Posted by: paranoya333 | February 3, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

The program where Danny Boy talks about making money off the sick...

PBS CEO Exchange
Season I
Episode 108:
Major League Entrepreneurs
Broadcast Date: January, 2001

Featured Guests:

Mark Cuban
Owner, Dallas Mavericks

Daniel Synder
Owner, Washington Redskins

Two entrepreneurs who are revamping their sports franchises. The Internet billionaire who co-founded Broadcast.com, Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, swaps plays with the youngest owner in the NFL, marketing maven Daniel Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins, who made his football team the most valuable franchise in sports.

Topics include:
• Playing in the Major Leagues
• On being an Entrepreneur
• The Business of Sports

Taped at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois

Posted by: Misty630 | February 3, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

This lawsuit isn't about what Snyder says it is. It is about intimidating the media, and specifically, the smaller media.

Notice that Snyder didn't go after the Post. That would be a fair fight. He went after a little guy. This is a warning shot by Snyder for all the blogs and little guys out there who feel they can criticize him. Snyder wants them to think twice before they do it.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 3, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

paranoya,
I work for a company with 37 people and I meet with our CEO on a daily basis. If I ever brought items into his office as trivial as expired peanuts or a beer vendor who sold beer in a bathroom, he would probably tell me to stop wasting his time. The CEO of a company the size of Snyders does not manage/train/evaluate every single employee in the organization. He does not participate in casting calls for actors. To imply that he was behind these items is ridiculous.

Also, the $25 fan appreciation day parking charge is a flat out lie. The statement that says he is the first owner to charge for training camp is also false (Jerry Jones did it first) If this guy can't get the small stuff right, how can he get the large items right?

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"Lastly, the guy who wrote the article is neighbors, and good friends with a anti-Snyder WashPost writer of this blog (Dan Steinberg), who linked this blog to the story. Snyder has subpeonad all communications between these two guys.... there is much more to this story than the general public is hearing. I have a feeling we are going to find some dirty laundry related to the post.

Posted by: forsythe332"

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

David Donovan and Tony Wyllie are the "better people" who surround Dan Snyder now?

I think he needs to find calmer, more rationale, thicker skinned people.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

.... the pestilential, malignant, and cancerous dwarf. Go to Extremeskins and join your fellow bowel-movement eaters because you will not be able to ban or censor anyone here. You are a mongoloid.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:40 PM

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

garrafa10,

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And I work in a legal dept. at a company with thousands of employees but that isnt the point, you clearly can't read because I wrote this.

"As for knowing the minutia of the operations, no I don't believe Dan knew all of it but this is the sort of atmosphere he has created in an organization that values the $ over performance."

So again, your defense is weak and your have now gone to personal attacks because I have proved most of the things you called "lies" as true. I also never implied he was at the casting calls or otherwise, but when you head up a corporation that employs those sort of tactics you better believe the blame starts at the head of the beast and filters down, just ask the CEO of BP. Finally if your defense is now "he wasnt the first owner to do it" which, to be honest I don't know, it proves your case is rapidly deteriorating.

Posted by: paranoya333 | February 3, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that forsythe332 is really Vinny Cerrato riding to the defense of his butt-buddy Danny-Boy.

Uh, oh saying Danny-Boy and Kindergarten Ninja are butt-buddies isn't grounds for a lawsuit is it?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 3, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

... McKenna is going down, and Steinberg is probably going down with him. ...

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:47 PM

Agree to disagree. Both become hotter commodities, probably get radio shows. A public figure like Daniel Snyder proving all four element of defamation of character is waaaaaaaaaay not going to happen, esp. if there are questions of fact (and way esp. if they get a jury in D.C.). Nothing positive happens out of this, except maybe the Lawyer and the PR genius who conceived this brilliant idea move on to be "better people" to surround someone else.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332, you had better face the facts you Extremeskins plant. Your hero will have his records subpoenaed by CP's defense attorneys and you can count on that as a certainty. As a public figure he will have an incredibly difficult time proving defamation. As for your seats being moved closer to the action, most likely you will be surrounded by opposing team supporters, especially when they play the Ravens and the Eagles. Enjoy.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

"Wow ... the power of invisibility and anonymity on the internet. Reads like "blog rage."

Posted by: dcsween"

Speaking of anonymity, what is your name, what do you look like, and where do you live? I am not the one who needs to walk around the city with bodyguards.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

paranoya333,

Sorry, but the argument that selling expired peanuts and beer in the bathroom is a reflection of how he runs his companies just doesnt fly with me. You do not know how he runs his companies and niether does McKenna and Steinberg. They constantly bash a person who they have very little contact with. They try to find ways to turn any action taken by the team or an employee to paint this as a wrongful act by Snyder. He gave the city paper an opportunity to retract the lies, and they told him to go kick rocks! He has every right to take them to court. The truth will come out in the end.

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

paranoya333,

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep trying to tell us what a great, grand, glorious guy Danny-Boy is forsythe332.

Wait, me calling him Danny-Boy isn't grounds for a lawsuit either is it?

How much is Danny-Boy and his defense team paying you to clutter up the blogs here with your "defense" of Danny-Boy?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 3, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The truth will come out in the end.

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 6:00 PM

Good luck to him with that.

[Also, to garaffa10, I'm dcsween of course.]

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how Wyllie went on the radio and told a lie (that McKenna made fun of Mrs. Snyder for having breast cancer) that was far more egregious than any lie, if any, that McKenna included in his piece.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 3, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"Face the facts... McKenna is going down, and Steinberg is probably going down with him. And your pathetic namecalling will not change the facts of this case. No one is trying to censor facts or even opinions, I think Snyder just is sick of the lies and half truths that these guys keep spewing."

Posted by: forsythe332

Face the facts. EVERYTHING in the McKenna article was either true and documented, quoted from sources, or opinion. On the other hand, the lawsuit makes several clearly false statements. For example, the article never said Snyder USED Agent Orange, it said he WENT Agent Orange (total defoliation for a better view). New York haa an Anti-SLAPP law with will allow the City Paper to recover for the lawsuit, which Donovan stated in his letter was brought for the purpose of financilly harrassing a smaller business, not because it has any meritorious legal claim (which it does not). The lawyers who knowingly make false statements to the court in the pleadings will also be sanctioned and could be disbarred.

Posted by: mcstowy | February 3, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

[Also, to garaffa10, I'm dcsween of course.]

Of course, indeed you are, and we are better people for it...

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, but the argument that selling expired peanuts and beer in the bathroom is a reflection of how he runs his companies just doesnt fly with me. You do not know how he runs his companies and niether does McKenna and Steinberg."

- Posted by: forsythe332

Um, I do.

Horribly. He runs them horribly.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | February 3, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can't win and he knows that. He's a public figure and libel laws set a very high bar. But he can cost City Paper a helluva lot of legal fees.

Posted by: poguesmahone | February 3, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Jewish lawyer. Snyder's lawsuit was meritless to the point of being frivolous. And the allegedly anti-semitic picture was not offensive to me - it was a juvenile doodle as befitting the satirical, over-the-top nature of the story.

I've long wondered when the last straw would drop where we finally abandon the team we used to love. Maybe this is it.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | February 3, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

OK so public health concerns are of no interest to the head of company? Interesting.

As for you, this is over. Your beef is clearly with the reporters/media for God knows what reason so we can agree to disagree on that argument. I would love for this franchise to win a Super Bowl every year under Dan as owner and if you are a Skins fan I'm sure we agree on that, but judging by prior seasons that probably will never happen even once. I do find it curious though that you're the only Skins fan who has chosen to defend mediocrity for this once proud franchise, my guess would be you work for Snyder or the Skins but that is something we will never prove.

Posted by: paranoya333 | February 3, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Is Forsythe332 reading the same material we all are? There wasn't a lie in the story and when someone writes about such a public figure, even a small paper like the CP will do their homework to make sure it is all correct. There are many more stories floating around about what an abysmal human Li'l Dan is than the documented ones in McKenna's article. The Redskins are not the team I grew up loving. They have become a reflection of their owner who is a vile and money hungry fool who gouges his fan base and tries to find ways around the laws to further line his own pockets.

Posted by: splitbill | February 3, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

An overwhelming number of the claims against McKenna confuse his right to an opinion with a provable falsehood.

Even the ones that could be proven false - you need "reckless disregard for the truth"

That is really tough to prove.

Basically, Dan Snyder and his minions are d-bags who have no concept of the law.

The horns argument is beyond idiotic. First off, I don't think think they are anti-semitic in nature.

Second, it doesn't even frickin' matter in a libel case.

Any lawyer with an IQ above 5 knows that.

Posted by: CF11555 | February 3, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 -

you,sir, are a bigger fool than Dan Snyder could ever hope to be...

God help you and your family...

Posted by: tindal0s | February 3, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of lawsuit I would expect of Danny the drop out...

A man who quits on college for mere wealth is not a wise man, he is a rash man.

Also I am Jewish, and didn't find anything about that photo anti-semitic. Yes the Nazi's did that kind of stuff in the 30's... But this isn't Germany and Hitler ain't coming back.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Just received an email from the Redskins that says, and I kid you not:

Love is in the Air.

Really.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | February 3, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

BTW, can any1 answer what the Rabbi's motives would be in his anti-semitic claims? Hope it's not monetary.
Any thoughts?

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | February 3, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts?

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | February 3, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I assume they mean, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-abraham-cooper

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

dan snyder, larry michael, david donovan, and tony wylie. what a bunch of scumbags

Posted by: slick3 | February 3, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

This lawsuit is an attempt at bullying by a guy with a little you know what.

As a Jew, I am offended by his frivolous use of the charge of anti-semitism. It is insulting.

Posted by: washwave | February 3, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Synder is a weak human being and I think I could find thousand people of Jewish faith who are not offended. What a reach. Negative attention is what he must want to attract. The people advising Synder could not have advised this action. He is a bully and ignores their recomendations. We as fans need to stop buying tickets, shirts and support the team by attending away games. SELL THE TEAM DAN!!!

Posted by: karl_grebe | February 3, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: karl_grebe | February 3, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Read the lawsuit:

Snyder asked for a retraction on some of what was written and the paper ignored it.

That's why they're in court three months later.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 3, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

2. Selling 9/11 merchandise for profit.
3. Using Hurricane Katrina to cancel a lease for profit.
4. Charging a $4 per ticket surcharge for security after 9/11.
5. Exploiting Cancer and Diabetes patients.

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't disagree with anything you said, except when you started blasting Steinberg. First of all, Steinz made full disclosure about McKenna--so that is a non issue. It really doesn't matter what is in any of those emails because the full disclosure was made. End of story. Secondly, Steinberg is not "anti-Snyder". He calls it as he sees it. Sometimes, he is critical of Snyder. Sometimes, he defends Snyder (as he did during the "ticketgate" non-scandal of 2009. But usually, he just reports the facts and lets his readers decide.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 3, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forsythe332

"Snyder and the Redskins charitable Foundation give more money to local charities than anyone in the DC area... yet this articles claims he exploits cancer patients, 9/11 victims and hurricane Katrina. I'm sorry, but if this isn't libel and slander, I don't know what is.

Lastly, the guy who wrote the article is neighbors, and good friends with a anti-Snyder WashPost writer of this blog (Dan Steinberg), who linked this blog to the story. Snyder has subpeonad all communications between these two guys.... there is much more to this story than the general public is hearing. I have a feeling we are going to find some dirty laundry related to the post."

Whether or not Snyder gives money to local charities in irrelevant. What he's going to do with any hypotetical settlement money is irrelevent.

Snyder is a public figure. In order to be libeled or slandered, he would have to prove that:
1. Something printed in the article (or said, for slander) is demonstratively false and
2. That the paper knew it was false at the time of printing.

Someone's opinion that Snyder's wife is trying to help his improve his image is not actionable.

As for e-mails between two journalists who happen to be friends---news flash!! lots of journalists are friends with other journalists and exchange e-mails. I'm not sure what they think the would find in that fishing expedition, but I doubt a judge will order those e-mails turned over to the plaintiff.

His lawsuit reads more like a statement from someone trying to get public opinion on his side. It's basically says "they were mean to me" and includes a lot of legally irrelevant material, such as saying that he gives money to charity or that his wife had breast cancer. Those things really have no impact on whether or not he was libeled. That some people might see the drawing as anti-Semitic is not really a matter for legal action either. Parody and satire are protected by the First Ammendment.

Posted by: lalalu1 | February 3, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"No one is trying to censor facts or even opinions, I think Snyder just is sick of the lies and half truths that these "

Us fans are tired of Snyder

Posted by: JDB1 | February 3, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Good things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people. I thought I was a good person, then I realized Daniel Snyder owns my favorite team in the world. This must mean I'm the worst human being ever.

I pray Daniel Snyder has a single bit of self-awareness and he does what's best for millions of fans around the world. Please sell the team Dan. If you truly are a fan, if you want The Redskins to win sell the team and watch as a fan. Millions of people will be grateful to you. I beg this of you Dan. Please!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | February 3, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | February 3, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

@NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass: By now you should know that Mr. Snyder doesn't respond to "Dan" or "Daniel." Please try again.

Posted by: terperin | February 3, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder is doing nothing here but proving he's a bully. It's sad for him, sad for the team, and sad for DC.

Posted by: Postbbrady | February 3, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I was an Orioles fan for close to 30 years before the treatment of Davey Johnson and Jon Miller by Peter Angelos drove me away. I don't know what my Davey Johnson moment with Mr. Danny-Boy is going to be (this isn't it), but I have think it's coming.

Posted by: zimbar | February 3, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

This really comes off as you sticking up for your journalist pal. I mean, you really went back and counted Tanya Snyder's sentences about Dan in an interview? You're agenda isn't blatantly obvious, is it?

The fact is, your buddy straight up called Dan a felon with the forgery remark. I'm betting there is zero truth behind that remark or any facts to back that claim up. Maybe if he'd said one of Snyder's former companies was accused of forgery, but he didn't. He said Snyder forged documents.

Posted by: mdterp2 | February 4, 2011 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdterp2 | February 4, 2011 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that guy forsythe332 was really a Redskins plant for Danny Boy Boda Dooshy! A real fan with season tickets would not defend anything Snyder has done because the team has sucked since he got here. He is a petulant little boy...

Posted by: Daedulus | February 4, 2011 1:29 AM | Report abuse

If anyone comes across any information about a legal defense fund for Mr, McKenna or the City Paper, please post it. I want to contribute.

Posted by: PostWebReader | February 4, 2011 5:26 AM | Report abuse

forgery allegations

Posted by: gor1976 | February 4, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Steinberg stay away from this with the lawsuit in the works? Why can't a rich guy go against a paper he believes published lies about him? And Steinberg keeps saying "I am not a lawyer" but this entire blog is a rebuttal of the Snyder lawsuit. So why not just come out and say this is you standing up for your friend McKenna?

Posted by: tundey | February 4, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forsythe332 | February 3, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

------------

Their publisher publicly offered him the paper as forum to post a rebuttal. Is "kicking rocks" the new slang for "writing a rebuttal", I'm getting old and out of touch with how the kids say thing these days.

Posted by: M__N | February 4, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Snyder has reached a new low. And this Donanvan is a real slimeball. I say some enterprising fan should print up a couple thousand t shirts with the image of Snyder from the City Paper. Sell 'em for 10 buck, you'd make a fortune....

Posted by: dbunkr | February 4, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

And, the nice irony of the man who profits off an enterprise called "Redskins" accusing others of using racial slurs...

Posted by: mvm2 | February 4, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mvm2 | February 4, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who doubts that forsythe is a plant or that Snyder would stoop so low as to start paying people to comment on blogs, remember Andyman.

Posted by: theamazingmouse | February 4, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So if you argue that Snyder shouldn't be held responsible for things that his underlings do, like selling expired Peanuts or beer in the bathrooms,I think in the unlikely event that this team ever wins anything meaningful again you would have to keep Snyder off the podium. If you aren't going to take blame for the small mistakes, don't take credit for the grand sucesses. Of course, my point is moot since with him at the helm the team will never be more than mediocre.

Posted by: David90 | February 4, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Snyder rapes dogs.

Posted by: LouisTheRogue | February 4, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been to any non-football events at FedUps Field since The Rolling Stones concert right after they opened the joint, so I wonder if the $4 security is added to tickets for non-football events there? Anyone know for sure on that?

Posted by: bbmcoachk | February 4, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

From Steinbeger’s post:

[Dan Snyder's] wife, Tanya Snyder, is out selling the transformation, too. Last week she went on local TV to tell an interviewer that he is now surrounded by "better people," and that he's "grown and he's evolved.”
——

===========

False and misleading accusation: Last week she went on local TV to tell an interviewer that he is now …

Fact: She went on TV to talk about the Fit For You 5K, and childhood obesity, and the NFL's campaign to spur childhood activity, and the NFL's line of women's apparel.

Fact: After the break the interviewer changed the subject matter and asked questions about Snyder to which she politely answered.

As I said before. I do hope Snyder wins and put a stop at this lazy and trashy type of reporting.

Posted by: hock1 | February 4, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Dan Snyder just does not get it.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 3, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Poop, look at it this way...at least we still have Kevin Anderson leading us to 'greatness' in College Park.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Can someone from the Post do a little investigative reporting on Forsythe and Hock1 by looking at IP addresses, etc.? I think it is newsworthy if in fact these people are the shills they so blatantly seem to be. They are probably from the same clownish PR firm that gave him advice about the lawsuit - the single worst PR gaffe since PR was invented. Their writing as shills is full of such blatant PR cheesebag loser "talking point speak." I wonder if the PR "gameplan" powerpoint drawn up by their firm included a line about Internet mesage board support, I'm willing to bet tht it did.

Come on, do a better job than this. You have to be the worst PR firm anywhere. The only advice worse than the PR advice (and possibly the legal advice) Snyder is getting on this lawsuit is the advice he gets on football operations.

Snyder and his utter hack of a PR firm have made the Skins yet again the laughingstock of the league - once again acting contrary to the interest of the fans.

Steinberg's article does a very nice job of documenting how trumped up these allegations are. Nobody went after Danny Boy's wife and certainly nobody maligned breast cancer survivors. Freaking stupid PR hacks laughing all the way to the bank with little Danny's money.

Posted by: Anonymiser | February 4, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Danny Boy,

Why don't you apologize for destroying Washington's football team? You pompous, self-righteous prick.

Sincerely
Ex-Redskins fan, current Ravens fan.

Posted by: jmarks09 | February 4, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@forsythe332

Your point is that this level of minutia is below the head of a billion dollar corp. That's not a great line of defense, as I have worked with several billion dollar corps who's CEOs and COOs love to dabble in minutia. In fact a good indicator of this is who good the final product is. An overly micromanaged company tends to have a lot of examples of poor service or product quality. It's a by product of managers and employees who don't feel empowered to use their expertise or judgment. They follow the leader.

Posted by: gconrads | February 4, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing is that nothing in the lawsuit suggests that the horrible mistakes the L'il Man made regarding the actual team are in dispute. And those are the most damning points of the article.

But yeah good old Forsyth will spew his bosses lines about how this is the year they've learned their lesson and they're only two good players away from a Super Bowl...

Posted by: Leofwine | February 4, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder will have his own records and private conversations subpoenaed and then we will certainly discover some interesting revelations about your hero, the pestilential, malignant, and cancerous dwarf. Go to Extremeskins and join your fellow bowel-movement eaters because you will not be able to ban or censor anyone here. You are a mongoloid.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:40 PM"

Bingo! If this lawsuit even gets into discovery and each and every allegation gets investigated, picked over & published, The Danny will regret ever bringing this up.
As one of my friends used to say "Ain't no bottom to stupid." Danny and his boys prove that every time they open their yaps.

Posted by: hawk1009 | February 4, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 3, 2011 5:40 PM"

Posted by: hawk1009 | February 4, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 is andyman

Posted by: reefer | February 4, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 is andyman

Posted by: reefer | February 4, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

From the lawsuit over forgery allegations:

Over the period of January through November, 1998, GTE, through its sales
agent Snyder, forged the signatures of hundreds of customers on letters of authorization
purporting to authorize a change of the customer's presubscribed interexchange carrier. Snyder's firm targeted poor minorities, particularly hispanics in southeast Florida.

That is not a lie. Its a fact and he paid a fine for it.

Posted by: eedfors | February 4, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Forsythe and Hock1:

Here's how your posts read:
Hackity-shill-shill-shill. Shillity-hack-hack-hack.

Look, there are only two possibilities, either:

1) (99.999999% chance) You are exactly as you appear to be, i.e. third-rate PR hacks for Snyder who are way overpaid given your obvious ineptitude and lack of talent for disguising yourself, let alone coming anywhere close to budging one cubic inch of the Everest of negative publicity that your, frankly, insane PR advice (or lack thereof) has singlehandedly created via this moronic lawsuit. I mean, really, it doesn't take Lisbeth Salander or Mikael Blomquist to crack this one open.

OR

2) (0.000001% chance) Congratulations, you merely write like you went to third-rate, hack PR flunky writing school and failed all of your classes.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that Snyder and his idiot PR firm have made a colossal blunder with this thing and yet again embarrassed fans of this once proud franchise. It's so bad, in fact, that the only way to save face might be to plow ahead with the suit and completely self-destruct.

I'm just counting the days before there are Egyptian-style protests outside of Redskins Park with thousands of Skins fans chanting, "Leave! Leave! Leave!"

Posted by: Anonymiser | February 4, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Snyder vs WCP is going to look like the courtroom equivalent of Detroit at Pittsburgh. Which is to say, a total rout. Dismissal is a lock, and sanctions against Donovan are odds-on. His letter basically fesses up to the suit being vexatious litigation; I wonder if he is THAT clueless, or if he's actually tanking this, having been forced by Snyder to file in the first place.

As for Forsythe332, I'm pretty sure he's not a Snyder plant. Honestly, I'd feel better if he was, because it is depressing that someone would defend Snyder of his own free will. Well, Louis Farrakhan called Hitler great, so I guess everyone, somewhere, has a defender.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 4, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Snyder was maturing with the hihering of a general manager and supposedly staying out of the football decisions but this lawsuit and the false reasons he gave on the radio interview suggests that the franchise is still rotten at the top. I am donating to the defense fund.

Posted by: mjfm5 | February 5, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Snyder was maturing with the hiring of a general manager and supposedly staying out of the football decisions but this lawsuit and the false reasons he gave on the radio interview suggests that the franchise is still rotten at the top. I am donating to the defense fund.

Posted by: mjfm5 | February 5, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I personally have no problem with them selling beer in the bathrooms. What's the difference between that and the guy who stands in the bathrooms at nice restaurants/bars and offers you clean towels, gum, mints, etc for a tip?

That said, I'm pretty sure the guy on youtube selling beer in a fed ex bathroom got fired. Don't quote me on that, but I thought he was canned.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

"“Our phones were ringing off the hook last week,” says Norma Lindsay, the chief liquor inspector for Prince George’s County. “Everybody—us, the [county] health department, everybody—got involved. That sort of conduct is absolutely against code, because it’s a health issue. "

"Hyde’s (longtime spokesperson for the American Society of Microbiology) disgust has some scientific backing....Hyde says bad bugs that hang out in bathrooms—she mentioned staphylococcal bacteria and E. coli—just love to travel the “oral-fecal route.” And once you get those beauties in your system, diarrhea is only an appetizer compared to the ailments they can cause."

Posted by: jbanks979 | February 7, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Anti-semitic? You own the "Redskins". Hello!!!!

Posted by: roscoe7 | February 10, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse