Posted at 1:46 PM ET, 03/ 7/2011

GW professor tossed from home finale

By Dan Steinberg

(By Mitchell Layton - GWSports.com)

You know which local college basketball team whose name begins with George had the best week? It wasn't Georgetown, losers of three straight, or George Mason, which bowed out in the CAA semifinals.

No, the honor goes to George Washington, which won five of its last six to finish with a 10-6 league record, good for the fifth seed in the Atlantic 10 tournament. The final regular-season win came Saturday at home against Dayton; The Post's account is here. And as so often is the case, the most interesting part came in the notes at the very bottom:

Bob Kasmir, a part-time professor at GW, was honored at halftime for his financial contributions to the university. That didn't matter to one of the referees, who ejected Kasmir from his courtside seat with 13:45 to play.

Say what? A five-figure donor was ejected by refs on the same day he was honored by the school? I'd read 600 words just on that, for sure.

Kasmir declined to comment to me, but the GW student paper talked to him after Saturday's game. This right here is a fantastic blog post. Here's the money part:

From his sideline seat on the court, Robert Kasmir yelled at the referee over a foul call on sophomore forward David Pellom, prompting his removal from the court by a member of the athletics department.

"Basically, I told the ref he was the worst ref I'd ever seen and he wasn't worth the $1,600 dollars they were paying him and that was it," Kasmir said. "And then he ejected me from the game....I think the official should never be allowed to officiate another game in the Atlantic 10, in college basketball, in the United States."

Now, I wasn't there, and I don't know the referee's side, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in a country where you're not allowed to tell a ref that he's the worst ref you've ever seen.

By Dan Steinberg  | March 7, 2011; 1:46 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is this the new Wizards logo?
Next: Video: Danny Espinosa's Bazooka arm

Comments

I'm also a fan of an A10 team. So without even having to see the call in question I instantly agree with Professor Kasmir.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 7, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ed Hightower is working A-10 games too?

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 7, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Some things never change - I used to go to the GW games when they played their final years at Fort Myer, and then when the Smith Center opened up in the mid-70's because my next door neighbor's brother was sports information director at GW. My neighbor used to type the play-by-play on his typewriter while a spotter (sometimes me) would call out the action to him. They'd give copies to the coaches at halftime, and the press people. Anyway, the student section, even back then was one of the most irate and funny groups I've ever seen at any game. And yeah, I used to wonder about some of the refs, because I always wondered whether anybody ever wanted them to be better than Georgetown or Maryland. That's back when they went 7'2", 6'10", 6'8" across the front line, and with two dynamite guards.
But yeah, there's always been a thing about GW fans and refs that never seemed to mesh. Getting screwed on your home court just doesn't sit well with intelligent people for some reason.

Posted by: Brue | March 7, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. Professor Kasmir's dismissal was the turning point in the game. The entire crowd rallied behind him and the team played better. Maybe he can come to every game and help the Colonials win. Can't wait to see the guys beat up St. Joe's tomorrow night!

Posted by: ASchumacher | March 7, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Listen to the NCAA crowd control statement that is read before any game.

"(Name of School), the (name of conference) and the NCAA promote good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial or sexist comments or other intimidating words or actions directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches or team representatives will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site of competition. Also, consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited."

Posted by: joecct77 | March 7, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey joecct77 Go Frak yourself you mental midget. I don't care what the NCAA says, when they take our money, we are going to yell at them when they force feed us feces.

Posted by: khornbeak | March 7, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Saying you're a bad ref and not worth the money is not "Profanity, racial or sexist comments or other intimidating words or actions."

Posted by: awiseman1 | March 8, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The professor didn't use foul language buit was ejected? That thin skinned excuse-for-a-man ref should be fired!

Posted by: jeffc6578 | March 8, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse