Posted at 11:25 AM ET, 03/ 9/2011

The best Vinny Cerrato radio call

By Dan Steinberg

I'm not exaggerating: I could write 50 more blog posts about Vinny Cerrato's 17-hour appearance on the Mike Wise Show this week. In fact, I probably will.

If you've got 17 hours to kill, I'd really recommend you listen. If you don't have 17 hours and you want to read the comedic highlight, here it is. Until I find the next one. It began with a caller who wanted to respond to Cerrato's contention that he would not draft Cam Newton.

Mike Wise: John, you there?

Vinny Cerrato: John? C'mon.

Caller: How you doing? Yeah, I just wanted really quickly to say that the first thing I've taken so far is that I would recommend to anybody you draft Cam Newton.

Wise: Yes, yes, Vinny said that.

Cerrato: You would draft him or would not?

Wise: No, Vinny said that he would not draft Cam Newton, go ahead.

Caller: Yeah, I would draft him because Vinny said he wouldn't. Number 2, is it amazes me how smug Vinny can be sitting there knowing that he ruined a franchise that's been storied for 12 to 15 years, and that he has every excuse in the book for why he failed other than the fact that he either made the wrong decision or was a yes man for a guy that is just completely incompetent.

Wise: He's blaming you for destroying a franchise. Vinny, your response?

Cerrato: Well, I would tend to disagree with John. I mean, he's got his opinion, so move on. Thanks for the opinion, John. Don't agree with it, but thanks.

By Dan Steinberg  | March 9, 2011; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaVale McGee brings showmanship to best dressed contest
Next: Matt Hendricks on signing his contract

Comments

John is my hero.

Posted by: WallyG3 | March 9, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

vinny cerrato is not human

Posted by: bjf3b | March 9, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I second what WallyG3 said.

Dan, please post more of this ASAP!!!

Posted by: CalleJoFan | March 9, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

All you need to know about Cerrato is: who is he working for? Since he left San Francisco the only team he's worked for is Dan Snyder's Redskins. No other team will hire him. That says it all...

Posted by: phs123 | March 9, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is an idiot. Why is he even being considered relevant anymore. It's easy to blame others for your mistakes, but it takes a real GM to admit faults.

Posted by: classicskins | March 9, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

But Vinny does have the perfect eyes for Radio, can't argue that.

Posted by: jgarrisn | March 9, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Agree!

Posted by: alex35332 | March 9, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

LOL thats great

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | March 9, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

We, as Redskins fans, can't "move on", Vinny: the franchise is still in ruins.
One more thing, Vinny: say hi to Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas for me next time you stop by the Unemployment Office.

Posted by: Sportaholic | March 9, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

This gentleman worked for two storied franchises that WON in the 80s....both are having a hard time recovering even now to get back to where they were.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 9, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 9, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

We, as Redskins fans, can't "move on", Vinny: the franchise is still in ruins.

Posted by: Sportaholic | March 9, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

We, as Redskins fans, can't "move on", Vinny: the franchise is still in ruins.

Posted by: Sportaholic | March 9, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

We, as Redskins fans, can't "move on", Vinny: the franchise is still in ruins.

Posted by: Sportaholic | March 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

We, as Redskins fans, can't "move on", Vinny: the franchise is still in ruins.

Posted by: Sportaholic | March 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

classicskins said:
-----------------------------------------
Cerrato, I believe, was technically an Executive Vice President during a period in which we had no "GM" per se. Based on VC's work, it appears EVP is a position that requires a fair bit of fingerpointing and minimal accountability.

Posted by: bacaje | March 9, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

If you cannot name 100 Black NFL executives that are a better choice for GM than Vinny Cerrato, you should not own an N
FL team. If you cannot name one, you are Dan Snyder.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | March 9, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

There is one thing worse than being Dan Snyder. It is being Dan Snyder's butt boy.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | March 9, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | March 9, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The guy could be on the deck of the Titanic and "disagree" it is going down.

Sadly, we won't soon see the last of this jack@ss because we are the only ones who will pay attention to him.

Posted by: DCV1 | March 9, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You can't heap too much on Vinny as he was pretty much of a yes man for Snyder. His reason for being here the fit his talents perfectly: His ability to manipulate free agent contracts to squeeze every drop out of the salary cap. For an owner who was and still may be dedicated to the proposition that you can buy a Super Bowl team, that was an invaulable skill and he did it well. No one (except maybe Vinny himself) ever said he was a good evaluator of talent.

Posted by: akmzrazor | March 9, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I fail to understand why any media outlet wants Vinny the Lapdog's opinion on anything.

It wasn't worth anything when he "worked" for the Redskins. Now he's even more useless (although less harmful to the team).

Posted by: DC2Dallas | March 9, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

John, whoever you are, I applaud you. Well done, brother.

Posted by: RIP-21 | March 9, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

thank you john.

Posted by: tedunni1 | March 9, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like proving the guy's point for him...

Posted by: CapsNut | March 9, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

FL team. If you cannot name one, you are Dan Snyder.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | March 9, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

So now Snyder's a racist too?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 9, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

But Vinny does have the perfect eyes for Radio, can't argue that.

LOL! . . . yep he should elope with that runaway bride chick from GA . . . Eyes wide open!

Posted by: 1234five | March 9, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, I would tend to disagree with John. But not entirely.

Posted by: richs91 | March 9, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The caller was half right. Cerratto AND moreso Snyder ruined this franchise. Remember, it all starts with Snyder's incompetence and arrogance. Cerrato is just one of his many mistakes. And if you think Cerrato is smug...talk to anyone who has worked with or for the lil' dictator.

Posted by: dbunkr | March 9, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Keep these coming! They're pure comedic gold, in a deeply sad way!

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 9, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

i hate you so much vinny

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | March 9, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The only thing as idiotic as Vinny attempting to speak as an expert evaluator is giving him a platform for doing so. What's wrong Wise, couldn't get a credible source?

Posted by: sparman | March 9, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sparman | March 9, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is a thug and I recall reading articles that other GM's in the league saying that this guy should not be a GM, nor has eye for talent. The bottom line is that he is delusional and Snyder must have loved him for some other reason. What a screw up blaming Zorn, who they hired and screwed over and knew he was not capable and used his as no one wanted to coach here including Fossel. Boycott this team.

Posted by: mofares | March 9, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sparman | March 9, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's voice was even more whiny than usual, but I will give him credit for showing up on Wise's show, knowing he would face the wrath of a fanbase that utterly dispises him.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | March 9, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Man, I really, really wish I heard this live. That is pure comedy. It can't be as funny via audio as in print. I just laughed out loud at my desk. Never done that before. Wow. This made my day.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | March 9, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

John, you now have my sincere and utmost respect.

Mike Wise, thank you for having the marbles to bring that doofus Cerrato into the studio and on the air. As far as I'm concerned, you gave me my birthday present early. And I thank you.

Vinny Cerrato, oh how I hate thee. Let me count the ways-

Deion Sanders, Jeff George, Chad Rhinehart, Albert Haynesworth, Trung Candidate, Sleepy, Gimpy and Dopey, Sherman Lewis, Durant Brooks, Jason Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Antwaan Randle El and Mike Williams

Posted by: capsfan0837 | March 9, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

lmao ...way to go John

Posted by: Mark99 | March 9, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Vinny is thankful for John's opinion? Amazing.

Posted by: RedCherokee | March 9, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

vinny
"the thing is" vinny "the thing is" you totally suck as a football talent evaluator
"the thing is" you were dannie's lap dog playin' in a league that has no use for your limited knowledge on a subject you seem to thing you know something about looooser

Posted by: lantallen | March 9, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Snyder runined the team by hiring Vinny and by making many other horrible decisions. He should be ashamed but he's not and thats part of the problem.

Posted by: sjp879 | March 9, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Aw, but Dan Snyder really wants to win! Ha! What a bunch of imbeciles are running the Redskins! I'll be really surprised if Shanahan accomplishes much of anything with the 'Skins. I predict maybe one playoff year in his tenure here, and no more than one win in the postseason. And that's only if he's lucky. By then it'll be closer to 20 years than 10 of the team in disarray.

Posted by: preacherskid | March 9, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

let's be honest here. vinny was only puppeting what the idiot midget told him to do.

Posted by: rev_ollie | March 9, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The only thing you can say about Vinny is that he is a gigantic d0uche. I'm still willing to completely empty my bank account for a pay-per-view to watch someone hold that piece of trash down and literally poop in his mouth.

Wouldn't be any different from what comes out of his mouth now.

Barno, notice lately you're not really sticking up for Vinny anymore glad you've finally come to your senses and welcome to the darkside.

Vinny, if you're reading this, go fcuk yourself. Seriously.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 9, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

In my circles, we call making a bad choice a "Vinny."

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 9, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Since 1976, Jim Zorn has played or coached almost every year in the national football league. Vinny Cerrato has only one person who thought he could be an NFL executive. That was Dan Snyder. Because Vinny did exactly what Dan Snyder told him. Jim Zorn did not ask for the head coaching job. Nobody wanted it because of Snyder and Cerrato. No one has offered Vinny a job since leaving the Redskins. No body will.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | March 9, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Why/how does Vinny get time on the radio? Who cares what he says??? And to ask him what he thinks about the draft??? That's a huge laugh ! Does he still defend his 3 2nd round WR-TE picks. Has anyone been as bad as Vinny in the history of the NFL? I think he is worse than Matt Millen.

Posted by: dayz73 | March 9, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the point should be emphasized that he was on the Mike Wise show!

Posted by: bobilly2 | March 9, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the nerve of this guy! He is crazier than my man Charlie Sheen!I have to bite my tongue on this site b/c I don't want to get banned, but if you want to read what I really think about this guy check my website out at http://www.BeltwayBoySports.com and you will see!

Posted by: Beltwayboy7 | March 9, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

trust me know one in 49er organzation liked Cerrato 2nd Walsh, rice and montana won titles not Vinny

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 9, 2011 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vinny. Now Shanahan got to build the Redskins with few draft picks, high salaried players with NO PRODUCTION and ANGRY FANS!!!

Posted by: clifton3 | March 10, 2011 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Vinny must be a Republican...

Posted by: ScottChallenger | March 10, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I love this dude. Vinny was THE WORST EVER

Posted by: jpfterps | March 10, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Stop giving this idiot DC air time - he should be run out of town with Danny.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 10, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Going to have to borrow this, or possibly closer to what I'm thinking, "gotta get the paper and drop a cerrato in the can"

================================
In my circles, we call making a bad choice a "Vinny."

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 9, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jslckr4 | March 10, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Vinny a Republican? No way. Only a liberal would give a ton of money to people who don't produce.

Posted by: abar1 | March 10, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Vinny,

"I told you not to be stupid, you moron."
-Ben Stern

Posted by: c_e_daniel | March 10, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I wish he would just own up to the fact that he stunk. Heck, even Matt Millen admitted that he was terrible in Detroit. That makes him a few notches above Vinny in my book.

Posted by: playahatah | March 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's interview for a postion for the 'Skins was that he played racket ball with D.S. True story.

Posted by: boyn4884 | March 10, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

the judge in the City Paper lawsuit case should order Snyder to give John the team.

Posted by: dhenken1 | March 10, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dhenken1 | March 10, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think John's on to something. When making a tough decision, find out what Vinny Cerrato would do and do the opposite.

Posted by: yo_tamon | March 10, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yo_tamon | March 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yo_tamon | March 10, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

17 hour appearance!?!

Posted by: rfe18 | March 10, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Vinny needs a visit from the "Adjustment Bureau" as he's clearly on his own mindless path and taking this team right with him into non-contention and oblivion. I'd rather have Matt Damon make picks, because as history will show ol' Vinnay put the bolero hat on and kept turning the doorknobs right instead of left at every possible opportunity.

For those that haven't seen the movie, that won't make much sense to you, but that's your fault, not mine.

Seriously, the caller made a valid point as a fan about being totally and completely frustrated as to the picks, contracts and spending over the years by the Skins management team. It''s palpable and real. We're tired of being losers, and as fans we don't have any control other than boycotting games and spewing venom on talk radio or the Internet. I still have fun watching THE GAME, even if the jerseys are burgandy and gold, so the one outlet left to me is this, and here it is.

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | March 10, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise? I don`t think so. I don`t think it is very wise to have this idiot on the show! Come to think of it, I can`t even believe that Mr.UnWise has a show! Just trying to stir it up like always. Right Mr.UnWise? I cannot even believe both head`s would fit in the studio together!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 10, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"Only a liberal would give a ton of money to people who don't produce"

So Snyder is a liberal? Wrong!!

Posted by: junkiwonteverread | March 10, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse