Posted at 5:39 PM ET, 03/ 8/2011

Vinny Cerrato on Al Saunders, Jim Zorn

By Dan Steinberg

Lookit, I'm just gonna provide another blog post from Vinny Cerrato's 19-hour appearance on the Mike Wise Show, because I enjoy this stuff far too much.

I especially enjoyed this dialog between Cerrato and Mike Wise Show producer Chris Johnson, about whether or not the second Joe Gibbs Era was a success, especially considering the backsliding between years two and three.

CJ: Why did he stop? Why did he turn it over to Al Saunders?

Cerrato: The media.

CJ: The media????

Cerrato: Yes, you guys were killing him, you kept saying....

CJ: He's JOE GIBBS!!!!!! He's a HALL OF FAMER!!!!!!

Cerrato: Stop, stop a minute. Remember we had struggled against Philly, we had struggled against Tampa, and you guys, the media, were saying Joe you're over the hill, you can't call plays any more. We won the playoff game with Sean returning the fumbles for touchdowns and LaVar intercepting the ball or recovering the fumble, and Joe read all the media stuff, felt like if he brings in a guy....And I think you know what, I think if Joe would have continued to do what he was doing we would have went back to the playoffs again. Joe Gibbs, what he did for the organization, was he brought back confidence, faith, belief by the fans....And I think we were making progress, and I'm telling you, if Joe would not have left we'd have gone back to the playoffs in Zorn's first year, we would have went back again.

And suddenly, it's clear that the Redskins actually had the talent for four playoff berths in five years, instead of the two they managed. Later, Wise asked Cerrato how he reacts when people say he helped destroy their favorite franchise.

"I wouldn't say it's destroyed," Cerrato said. "One huge mistake. Jim Zorn was a huge mistake."

At which point Wise said you can't put everything on Zorn, and that Cerrato was in charge for two years, and then asked if he really blames his demise on Zorn.

"I don't blame it on Jim Zorn, I blame it on that we hired the wrong football coach," Cerrato said. "You know, if we would have got the right head coach? If Joe would have stayed? We would have been in the playoffs again. I totally believe that."

By Dan Steinberg  | March 8, 2011; 5:39 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who wants to go to the Wizards-Bucks game?
Next: How Alex Ovechkin got back on Twitter

Comments

Dan, these wounds were just starting to heal. Why must you open them again?

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 8, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The gift that keeps on giving. Sort of like herpes.

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 8, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato = The herpes of Executives

I wonder if he blames speeding tickets on smooth pavement

Posted by: Black706 | March 8, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I would empty my bank account for a pay-per-view to watch someone literally poop in Vinny Cerrato's mouth.

Can't he go off and film Kindergarden Ninja 2 or something.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 8, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Normally, I would say who cares. But this is so funny!

Joe Gibbs hired Al Saunders because of the media?

Vinny hired Zorn, but he says they hired the wrong coach?

I want to know what the weather is like in Vinny's world!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 8, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree that the Al Saunders hire was a really bad move. On paper it looked great. Guy had something like 5 years in a row with a top offense in KC/St Louis. But we finally had continuity and were coming off an 10-6 season and likely one carlos rogers pick 6 from the NFC championship game. Then we go and spend all this money on Archuletta, Lloyd, Carter, etc and on top of that bring in a new playcaller...it was the wrong direction to take that offseason...we should have stuck with the continuity we were building.

But the 2006 debacle happened not because of Al Saunders but because A) CP got injured in the first playoff game and B) Pierson Prelieu got injured on the opening kickoff on MNF against the Vikings. We lost those guys and never recovered.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 8, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

* A) CP got injured in the first PRESEASON game and

Posted by: Barno1 | March 8, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:

I'll agree CP getting hurt really affected the redskins that year.. but Piersen Prelieu? PIERSON PRELIEU? are you kidding? he was mediocre at best while a Redskin... you give him way too much credit.

Posted by: Bking1168 | March 8, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is so in to revisionist history. What a crock.

1. I think Joe Gibbs did well (all things considered) in his return. But a big chunk of what he used to do as an offensive coach (putting receivers in motion to allow the QB to get a read and the audible) was limited by a quicker clock...the need to call plays sooner. Gibbs didn't have a Beathard (or even Casserly) who could get production from the draft and temper Gibb's tendency to go for veterans (like Brunell).

2. it's just laughable that Joe Gibbs was intimidated by the media.

3. Joe Gibbs left the second time b/c he was ready to go. To argue "we'd have been in the playoffs if he'd stayed another year"...maybe we would have. But that denies the reality that Gibbs wasn't staying.

4. To argue that it's all about Zorn is just stupid. What about Spurrier? What about the talent-poor roster?

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 8, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't want a team built to make the playoffs - I want a team made to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

And Cerrato - who hired Zorn? Really?! Who cares what THE MEDIA says - it was YOUR JOB to decide if Gibbs should still call plays, etc. What a wimpy cop out.

It is not Jim Zorn's fault that the Redskins have neglected to build a team the right way for over a decade.

Cerrato = filth. I can't believe a guy who was around such legendary coaches could have NO CLUE.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 8, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 8, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:

Posted by: Bking1168 | March 8, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Nope, I'm not kidding I'm dead serious. Yes it's true, Prelieu was indeed pretty mediocre, but he was hugely important to our defense. His season ending injury--which was just a split second after the ball had been kicked on the opening kickoff--had big implications for our secondary that year. Everyone was playing out of their normal position the rest of the year and our defense slipped from top 10 to 30th in the league. Prelieu wasn't great but we didn't have a replacement.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 8, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"Cerrato: Let me just say this, I'll make one statement: If Joe would have continued to call the plays after the second year, we'd have went to the playoffs again"

This much is true.

Posted by: WorstSeat | March 8, 2011 11:15 PM | Report abuse

How do you hire a person so fundamentally dishonest, slimy, quick to evade responsibility, and devoid of basic integrity, let alone keep him as your manager for x-number of years of all the people who make up a modern NFL organization?

Every time Cerrato opens his mouth, it is more damning of Dan Snyder's ability to judge good people and good managers of people and processes.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | March 8, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I have herpes and I am an engineer who works for the largest herpes dating and support site herpesmate . com. I have to tell you a secret, you can choose not to believe me. But the truth is that this site has more than 1,880,000 members and about 80% members are good looking in my estimation.
Unfortunately, STD rates soar worldwide and most people with STDs don't even know that they have them. The government should grant more money for STD education to lower the rates of STD transmission.

Posted by: pozguy | March 9, 2011 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Herpes is one of the most misunderstood std's out there. The simple truth is that 90% of the adult population has it but doesn't realize it. If you ever get a fever blister you have herpes. The only difference between mouth herpes and the other kind is simply where it's located. It's the same virus, resting at the back of your brain untill something triggers it and you get an outbreak. There is no difference in oral herpes and the other kind, just the location, and there is no cure for herpes, though drugs such as Valtrax can stop an ourbreak once you get one. Odds are these wrestlers already had the virus and why the big to do here is beyond me. You may know more about herpes on the dating and support site POZmingle. Good luck to you all!

Posted by: juliarix | March 9, 2011 12:55 AM | Report abuse

He just doesn't get it, does he? JG won the games he did in SPITE of Ninny Cerrato! Nothing before or after! He had years to cultivate a winning culture. Bad decisions to worse choices. He wanted coaches he could conrtol, that's why he passed on Greg W, despite overwhelming support among players and fans.

This clown is much better suited as doorman.. I guess.. he'd prolly figure out a way to screw that up too.

Posted by: iubiquity | March 9, 2011 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato is so delusional. Do they have a 10 step program for failed GM's? Admit you have a problem Vinny

Posted by: dbuggs | March 9, 2011 6:17 AM | Report abuse

lol...herpes references more appropriate than you might thing at first.

Posted by: dbuggs | March 9, 2011 6:21 AM | Report abuse

When Gibbs didn't back Gregg Williams tribute to ST21 he lost the team. Even if it was a surprise, it's the kind of thing a leader who is in touch with his players acknowledges as the right thing to do and deals with any discipline behind closed doors. Danny and Vinny had the chance to hire Williams who, although not holding the greatest record as a head coach, had the loyalty of the players and who had overseen the only respectable aspect of this team in the Danny era. But no. They wanted someone with a little less back bone and independence...at first.

Hiring Zorn was the result of Vinny and Danny playing fantasy football and Topps card collecting with the roster and their coaching hires. After their middling success, somehow they got it into their heads that what was needed was some good old fashioned micro management. After spending one and a half seasons getting destroyed by local and national media for that, and an actual holy crap by God rumbling of a threat to the bottom line, Snyder finally realized he and Vinny really actually suck at running a football team (as opposed to a football business).

I don't blame Cerrato for trying to talk his way out of what he did, the guy's best shot at a job is in football and he's done an awful lot to give people a reason to ignore his resume. If he was smart he'd take a cue from DC history and just tell people he was ordered to do that stuff by Snyder. Of course, that's if he was smart.

Posted by: nkeitt | March 9, 2011 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I always knew Vinny was Waylon Smithers but I didn't know he was also the crazy cat lady.

Posted by: Leofwine | March 9, 2011 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato had a hand in over a decade of mediocrity for the highest grossing NFL franchise. Yet, he takes responsibility for only one -- ONE -- bad decision during his tenure. If that's truly the case, then he's guilty of being a do-nothing, bootlicking yes-man who simply took a paycheck to go along with Snyder's fantasy football strategy.

At least Matt Millen had the stones to come out and say, "I sucked." Vinny really believes that nothing was his fault. Vinny's campaign of revisionist history only reaffirms that he was the source of nearly all that was wrong with the Redskins franchise over the past 10 years. Please keep him away from the team and Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 9, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 9, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm seeing a lot of comments defending Cerrato that it was just injuries that sunk 2006, 2008 etc. While the injuries definitely hurt, whose fault was it that we never had any depth? Losing Jansen and Thomas hurt, but the fact that we never spent any draft picks on o-linemen hurt most of all. All Cerrato ever did was just put a band-aid, in the form of veterans, over the problem and hoped it stuck. When those veterans didn't pan out or got hurt, it apparently wasn't his fault that we never had a back up plan.

Posted by: Andymr | March 9, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

i love this guy. there has not been a time int eh past 10 years where his foot has been out of his mouth. it is incredible to watch.

Posted by: funkey | March 9, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"When Gibbs didn't back Gregg Williams tribute to ST21 he lost the team. Even if it was a surprise, it's the kind of thing a leader who is in touch with his players acknowledges as the right thing to do and deals with any discipline behind closed doors."

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the Bog. Joe Gibbs did anything BUT lose the team after the Taylor tragedy. First off, just because he didn't know about the tribute didn't mean he didn't back it. He didn't "discipline" anyone for it, give me a break. Second of all, if memory serves me, we won that game. And the next one. And the next one. And the next one...to make the playoffs. For someone who "lost the team" gee it sure seems the team was fine.

Why would you post something so dumb

Posted by: Barno1 | March 9, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

This is such garbage. If it were all Zorns fault why did the team suck again this year with Mike Shanahan as coach and essentially the same (some would say upgraded) roster?

I really hope no team is ever dumb enough to give Cerrato a job in this league again, the guy obviously hasnt learned from his long track record of sucking.

Posted by: jdusaf | March 9, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

That was the low point. After that short week, which included the funeral in Florida and then the Thursday night win against the Bears, we won 4 in a row to the playoffs....and all was forgiven. The team definitely rallied around Gibbs.

However, the impression that he may have lost touch a bit with the locker room lingered. The murder, and the emotional aftermath, was pretty much what, in my opinion, wore Gibbs out so much and led him to retire that offseason.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | March 9, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@Barno1, I have to agree 100% that that '06 injury to Priealeu was huge...it received little attention and is generally overlooked but you are absolutely correct it changed our entire defense. It would not have been a huge deal had we not let Ryan Clark leave despite being huge for the secondary and ST's development. But of course we did and once it was apparent that Archuletta was a fraud we were completely done for...@nkeitt, to kind of pigyback @barno that comment makes no sense...Gibbs lost the team yet beat the Bears, @Giants(Super Bowl Champs), @Vikings(our biggest competition for the 6th seed), and Cowboys(NFC East champs) in consecutive weeks (all after the ST tribute game)...I surely hope Shannahan loses the Skins soon if thats the case.

Posted by: bcrawfo1 | March 9, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Gibbs definitely didn't lose the team during the weeks after ST21 was murdered. I think maybe what the poster was saying was that Gibbs stated post-Bills game that he was unaware that the Defense was going to play with 10 for the first play. That, compounded by the 2 Timeouts before the Bills FG, sort of cemented an impression in the media that Gibbs was out-of-touch a bit, and had maybe lost his edge."

2 things:

1) I think you're giving that poster too much credit...the 10 men on defense was against the Bears the following week, not the Bills.

2) I blame the ref much more than I blame Gibbs for the 2 timeouts. First of all, you used to be able to call 2 timeouts...so Gibbs can be forgiven for that. But secondly, I recall an old ref who had been in the league for years but was retired at that point said that the ref screwed up for calling a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Gibbs for that. He said the ref should have used discretion in such a situation and let Gibbs know you can't call 2 timeouts. Gibbs exact words were "can I call another timeout?" and he said the ref then blew the whistle instead of saying "no, you can't."

Posted by: Barno1 | March 9, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Not a big deal, Barno, but I'm pretty sure the 10 men start on D was against the Bills.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | March 9, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Second of all, if memory serves me, we won that game.

----------------

It doesn't.

Posted by: theamazingmouse | March 9, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

You didn't emphasis the "stop."

..."STOP, STOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!" in a really high pitched voice.

-vinny cerrato

Posted by: rachel216 | March 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

*emphasize

Posted by: rachel216 | March 9, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Second of all, if memory serves me, we won that game.

----------------

It doesn't.

Posted by: theamazingmouse | March 9, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Correct. It was against the bills. We won the 4 games after that game.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 9, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse