Fenty asks write-in supporters to back Gray

Mayor Adrian Fenty, in the month since he lost his re-election bid to Vincent Gray, has been generally gracious in his defeat.

But when a write-in campaign organized itself and started making some noise about challenging the presumptive mayor-elect, Fenty stopped short of a full-throated dismissal. That prompted WRC-TV's Tom Sherwood to call Fenty "obtuse" for not telling these guys to knock it off more directly.

So let this statement, issued via a spokesman this afternoon, put any obtuseness to rest:

"I appreciate the write-in supporters but my campaign is over and I accept the results. I ask my supporters to join me in supporting Vince Gray and in voting for Vince Gray, who will be our next Mayor."

UPDATE, 5:30 P.M.: John Hlinko, a main backer of the write-in push, responds:

"The write-in effort is a grassroots one of thousands of DC voters, so I'm sure there will be different reactions.  We all have a lot of respect for Mayor Fenty, and I know some people have already joined him in supporting Chairman Gray, and no doubt others will as well before the election.  Other folks will wait until November 2nd, and write in Fenty to send a message in support of his policies, and education reform in particular.  As far as me personally, I do understand and respect both paths, and think folks will need to choose for themselves.  But what I am emphatic about is that whatever happens, we will all need to unify together once this is over to keep making this great city even greater. Even those who opt to wait until November 2nd need to realize that they're choosing between good people who love DC and are devoting their lives to public service. Chairman Gray deserves respect, as do his supporters."

By Mike DeBonis  | October 15, 2010; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  Adrian Fenty, DCision 2010, The District, Vincent Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP delegate candidate to air graphic anti-abortion ads on D.C. stations
Next: See you in a week

Comments

All due respect to Mr. Hinko, he cannot wrap his word in prose of unity and respect but take the road of in your face--f--you rebellion against Chairman Gray.

Not only are they not accepting of the results--they target Gray's event to spit in his face and his derail his attempts to speak to the voters/constituents at a time DC needs to move past the previous divisions of the primary election.

In going forward, Gray should keep his tone of One City but he should adapt some cases a hardline. You can negotiate reasonably with those who think anarchy is a tool. I hope with the strongest and most fierceful tone that both candidates send a message like a teacher maintaining order in a class--your actions will not be viewed as acceptable.

Posted by: CultureClub | October 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Mayor Gray, don't fall for the okey-doke!

Notwithstanding Fenty's bogus "plea," it's pretty clear this sore-loser, non-grassroots write-in campaign to overturn the results of the primary that Gray WON, and Fenty/Rhee LOST, is very real.

If it were not real, DeBonis and the Post would not be writing about the write-in effort at least once every few days (if it's bogus then why write about it at all?), and these write-in clowns would not have spent thousands on polls.

I hope Mayor Gray does not get fooled by Fenty's plea and makes sure his supporters get to the polls in November.
_____________

How pathetic and arrogant is it that the Washington Post still refuses to accept the results of the Democratic primary?

Also, Mayor Gray, put your people in all the top cabinet jobs within five minutes of your inauguration (as Fenty did without any objection from the Post); don't get bullied or suckered into keeping the Fenty-ites amd Rhee-bots, including Henderson.

FACT CHECK: Relax. There seems to be NO sourcing for the Post's "reporting" that Gray hopes to make interim Schools Chancellor and chief Rhee-bot Henderson permanent schools chief. Nice try, Washington Post.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | October 15, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank you!

Posted by: drfields | October 15, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"...If they had wanted this write in and left Gray alone--that would have been one thing--they are disrespectful--and again very racial.

Posted by: CultureClub | October 15, 2010 7:17 PM"
__________

Cosign. This junk is so over the top it's not even funny. Mayor Gray needs to come in hard and strong post-election starting with picking his own cabinet across the board. Schools Chief. Police Chief. Everyone.

Stay strong, Mayor Gray. Don't get bullied or okey-doked by the Washington Post crowd. Rhee-moving Rhee was good but that's just a start.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | October 15, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Reading the comments above leaves me simply speechless. It seems that no matter what Adrian Fenty says he is not going to please the perpetuators of conspiracy theories. So people want to write him in for mayor in the general election. So what? That's the right given to them as voting citizens.

As for all of the commentary about the departing Chancellor, she may not have done business by the standards that other people deem acceptable, however she was doing what needed to be done. Some of these 'poor wonderful teachers' people keep talking about can't even accurately teach their content to the students. I have witnessed for myself some of the most egregious errors committed while teaching and I shudder to think of how many times some poor knowledgeable and capable teacher is going to have to reteach these children to undo the damage.

If I have a piece of advice for Mr. Gray it would be to watch his back and keep his eyes open because as soon as he does something that causes him to fall out of favor with those people who see him as the savior of DC, he will be gone too. And whoever is brought in to take on DC Public schools, my prayers are with them. With the attitudes I have seen displayed in print over the last couple of months I can guarantee that if the 'people' have their way, DC schools will be back at the bottom very soon.

Posted by: simplyamazed | October 15, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

"Reading the comments above leaves me simply speechless. It seems that....

[Rhee-diculous stuff omitted.]

Posted by: simplyamazed | October 15, 2010 9:26 PM"
___________

Just shortened it up a bit. All the best.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | October 15, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with someone above that even after Mayor Fenty releases a statement on the write-in movement along with Mr. Hlinko writing a statement it seems like some people will never rest with the idea that there is some conspiracy out there.

If anything the write-in voters want to make sure that Vince Gray needs to say and do some form of Fenty policies (a majority of which DC have enjoyed over the past four years) during his administration or pledge to do so during his administration.

Yes Vince Gray won the Democratic nomination but then again this isn't to become a member in the house or senate - this is for Mayor of DC. Your first vote isnt for Majority leader it is to lead the city - something different and more direct than a party platform.

The write-in campaign or ideology are bigger than a single party and if you had included both republicans and independents at the first go around there could have very well been a much different result.

I am for D.C. Statehood, voting representation, and a proud democrat but I don't think anyone here can agree, other than to say its the way its been done, that the closed party primary is right for D.C. anymore. The position of Mayor is too important and there should be an open primary with the top two going to the general election. Other ideas are welcome and I am sure I will read something of the sort here.

Posted by: DCref | October 16, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

DCrer

BULL.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | October 16, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

DCref

BULL.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | October 16, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

broadwayjoe wrote,

"If Mayor Gray tries the Obama appeasing-the-enemy route, he'll suffer the same fate as BHO, whose approvals have dropped from 70% to 44%."
------
I agree with you 100%! Also, how can you trust anything Mayor Fenty says? He’s a spiteful juvenile of a man that abused his power while in office. Remember when Fenty fired a football coach because the coach wouldn't let Fenty's sons play in a league they aged out.

Posted by: GoldCoast | October 17, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Okay! Firstly, I think Adrian Fenty is finally doing the right thing. His support for Gray is phony; but is a show of class. Secondly, to all of my caucasion brothers and sisters seeking writing in - shut up!!! You spoon with strange dogs; but can't respond when I speak to you. You meditate on that and you'll understand the misrepresented blacks east of the river.

Posted by: seflo73 | October 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@dccounselor72

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

you fail to actually start a conversation with me, just reject the idea out of hand - I did say I was willing to listen to other ideas.

Posted by: DCref | October 18, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@DC REF:

your comments are appreciated.

your ideas well founded... on all fronts.

Posted by: pdv1 | October 22, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse