Posted at 3:39 PM ET, 01/19/2011

Gabe Klein takes a pass on D.C. Council run

By Mike DeBonis

Looks like two will be enough for one day.

On the day that Patrick Mara and Bryan Weaver, both Ward 1 residents, announced they would seek a vacated D.C. Council at-large seat, a third Ward 1'er -- former city transportation direction Gabe Klein announced that he would not.

He did so in a post on his personal blog:

I have done a lot of soul-searching, and have come to the conclusion that my passion is not in a role on the Council. If you don't have the passion for it, you shouldn't do it. It's been a tough decision to make with all of the support, but the right one for me and the race.

I am more of a CEO/Entrepreneur than a legislator, and my passion lies in utilizing and mixing technology, transportation options and infrastructure to make cities more livable, sustainable, and vibrant (and fun).

Klein had been pondering a run, encouraged by supporters of his old boss, former Mayor Adrian Fenty. In bowing out, he made no explicit endorsements, but shared some parting thoughts:

By Mike DeBonis  | January 19, 2011; 3:39 PM ET
Categories:  The District
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeMorning DeBonis: Jan. 19, 2011
Next: DeMorning DeBonis: Jan. 20, 2011

Comments

Klein: We have some good candidates that are entering the race, so lets see what they say, and who is really courageous enough to take some risks, do good work, and who is toeing the old political line and focused on their own needs first. It's pretty easy to spot if you look hard enough.

Codewords for:

He'll support the one who will ignore the 400 million dollar deficit that the Fenty Administration left and continue the reckless unsustainable deficit spending on luxury pet projects that appeal to the progressive (elitist) liberals of the city.

I noticed that he didn't once note fiscal responsibility in his comments.

This was a good decision for Klein. He is a food cart CEO/Entrepreneur. That is his forte'.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 20, 2011 6:19 AM | Report abuse

This is good news to hear!

Posted by: JonBonJovi | January 20, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

this guy's ego is way overflooded. at the end of the day, he's just another ddot director. sure, he did some good things. gabe needs to check his ego at the door though.

Posted by: onthecontrary | January 20, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Ward7Res wrote in the Washington City Paper: Shucks... and I had the election night headline all ready to go.... might as well post it here now.....

GABE KLEIN DID NOT WIN!!!!!!!

This was a funny comment!!! LOL LOL

Posted by: JonBonJovi | January 20, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think that :
concernedaboutDC, Ward4dc, and Johnbonjovi, and GoldCoast should run.

I would personally appreciate hearing how they would improve the state of the DC Government instead of constant slamming .

Can they still pick up petitions for the Council At-large seat?

Posted by: pdv1 | January 20, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@pdv1: What a silly comment. If I were a politician, which I am not, I would take a fiscally conservative stance in governance in the District considering we are facing a 400 million dollar budget deficit with only enough reserves to payoff the exisiting debt. Thanks to Ex-Mayor Adrian Fenty. I would not have gone on a spending expedition of luxury pet projects knowing cities across the nation were facing economic turmoil. It is like purchasing a ferrari when you have ford money. Particularly, when the first budget submitted in the Fenty administration was dependent upon borrowing from the rainy day fund to balance it. A practice that continued throughout ever year of his administration bringing us to the state of our economic affairs today.

During recessionary times government just needs to get the basics right. I'd ignore the cries of the liberal elite to spend more with less revenue and more debt. That is called "irresponsible", "reckless" spending. I'd hire a cabinet that are EXPERIENCED in the areas to which they are appointed and mandate that they manage efficiently and effectively WITHIN their budget and hold them accountable when they go outside of it.

During the times of plenty, like the Clinton 90's, I'd move to do the more progressive, and expensive, projects that wouldn't cripple the cities treasury.

Kleins claim to fame when entering D.C. Government as the DOT chief was catering the Mayor's birthday party. He was owner of a street catering business and executive of a failing car-sharing business. Not an ounce of experience in highway/roadway street maintenance or engineering. Experience in federal highway grant requirements: Zilch!! He wouldn't meet the standards that have been set for the position that he just vacated.

I know, you care little about deficits or budgets or spending plans, your preference is do to what you want when you want it at all costs. I know your work. You have and always will be Fenty's failed cheerleader.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 20, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

pdv1, hey dude, why don't you run. Please stop your attacks. You don't know me and I darn sure don't know you. You are beginning to sound unstable and that's scary. No I don't want to be a politician. Most politicians are corrupt and don't work in the best interest of the people. After the recent incident in Arizona, many people will think twice before entering politics. Getting death threats are being shot is very scary to most people. Guess what, I am one of them.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | January 20, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

pdv1, I am beginning to think, you are Josh Lopez. If so, give it a rest and disappear. Most DC residents don't care about you, Fenty, or Klein. We have forgotten these individuals, but the Washington Post is still obessed with these individuals.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | January 20, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

After the recent incident in Arizona, many people will think twice before entering politics. Getting death threats or being shot/assassinated is very scary to most people. Guess what, I am one of them.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | January 20, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

concernedaboutDC, Ward4dc, and Johnbonjovi, and GoldCoast, and most of the other aliases are all just my alter egos. So what if we are all the same hate-obsessed person? We do a great job of flooding the comment boards and making people think we actually are lots of people! BTW, down with food carts, bike lanes, white wine and people! Oh, and I hate anyone that is successful, so if you are, and have a story written, I will tear you apart to make myself feel good. (I got lots of time bein unemployed)

Posted by: _concernedaboutdc | January 20, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

bawhahahahaahaha @CaptainKangaroo! It's best to just walk away from PDV1.

@concernedaboutdc. The REAL concernedaboutdc...Great Comments!

Posted by: thelildiva4u | January 20, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Why was my comment removed? The Washington Post continues to be a cheerleader for Fenty and his posse.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | January 20, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

_concernedaboutdc aka pdv1, please seek help. LOL

My comment is to the fake _concernedaboutdc using the real concernedaboutdc screen name. I don't see any comments made by the screen names Ward4DC or GoldCoast. I guess next you be saying, I am thelildiva4u. She's a woman and I am a man.

Our private parts are not the same and I can assure you of this. LOL

I take these blogs with a gain of salt.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | January 20, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@_concernedaboutdc: I love the name, how fresh, unique and creative. However did you come up with it? Simply, brilliant.

You are the reason this nation needs stricter gun control laws. You are the type that would stalk and creep up cowardly behind someone and exact violence upon them because you have mentally devolved.

Get a grip!!! K?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 20, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

It's amusing to read comments between liberals and Democrats fighting. DC is in a mess because of it's liberal progressive policies put in place by majority left wing liberal Democratic government.

Posted by: RushLimbaurg | January 21, 2011 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Rush you need to take a volume. Your broad criticism of individuals on the line of political partisanship makes you seem disconnected from reality and dependent upon talking heads from Fox News to implant a thought into your head.

You too need to Get A Grip!! K?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 21, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

concernedaboutdc, the DC Council is left wing liberal Democrats. Any and everything goes. Liberal DC Councilmembers Phil Mendelson and Jim Graham want to allow illegal aliens with no social security numbers to be able to get a DC Drivers License. If this isn't liberalism, then I don't know what.

Posted by: RushLimbaurg | January 21, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse