Battleground States Will Pick the Winner

On a day when the financial markets are in turmoil, on a day after the Redskins won (that's what's really important here in Washington), our political staff has talked to both Democrats and Republicans and discovered that voters in the same old so-called Battleground States will decide who becomes our next president.

As Dan Balz and Peter Slevin write, "Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio and Florida are expected to dominate the attention of the candidates." They also note that Republican nominee John McCain's selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate "has helped to harden some of the red-and-blue political divisions of past years, dampening [Democratic nominee Barack] Obama's hopes of picking off some solid GOP states."

Our Readers Who Comment take this article as opportunity to continue their daily discussion of the presidential race; some debate the subject of the story -- what it might take to get the 270 electoral college votes needed to win; many express concerns about the markets; others applaud or attack Palin, and the claque of Hillary Clinton supporters who post regularly continue their complaints that she is not a part of the Democratic ticket.

We'll start with jhough1, who wrote that "The financial news today killed off the Palin nonsense. Even the media are going to have to start thinking and talking about the economy as they begin to understand that bankruptcy does not threaten banks alone. It will be a surprise if Obama goes under 350 and probably 400 Electoral College votes..."

And Jaxxon said, "It is in the darkest days, when our nation's banking system is going down the tubes and people are really retrenching, that I want to hear Sunny Sarah and her inspiring cheerleading of "Hoockie Mohms" to make me feel better..."

guytaur1 added, "Republicans Cry Less Government is better. Proof of this is today's less government regulated Financial Market."

And Honest_Abe predicted that "The era of Republican inspired fast money economics is coming to an end."

Jaymand said, "Wisconsin and Washington State could also be possible wins for McCain. Nevada, Colorado and Virginia seem to be leaning torwards McCain at this point. It would seriously hurt McCain's chances if Obama can carry Virginia."

morning135 wrote, "...Of course it comes down to the same old states, did people really think this whole new political paradigm was going to lessen their importance?"

gracedelvillar said, "Obama will stay awake at night asking himself why he did not pick Hillary. Obama will lose because Hillary voteers will vote Palin. Women rock the vote. It is not red states blue states but women stating their point of view by voting for Palin."

But ngh13 wrote, "...gracedelvillar, while I am a firm believer that all are entitled to their opinions, I think it is foolish to assume that many of the SENSIBLE supporters of Hillary Clinton... will vote for McCain/Palin out of spite because a woman is on the ticket..."

gwshening said, "...As many have predicted, Obama will lose and lose big. On the other hand, if the Democratic ticket was Clinton/Obama, the Democrats could win easily. Unfortunately, the The Democrats always find a way to lose."

sminersc said, "Thanks NH for bringing McCain back into the picture in the first place, majority of voters up there must have had a brain freeze during the primaries.
9/14/2008 11:56:21 PM

palintothepress complained that "More than two weeks have passed since we were "introduced" to Sarah Palin. So far, she has agreed to TWO interviews: with ABC and Fox News. What are she - and McCain - hiding?..." Howard Kurtz has an excellent column on that subject this morning.

wmboyd said, "...Everything is riding on how well Palin does in her only debate with Biden...and how Independents view her. If she shows brilliance, McCain's bet pays off. If not....debates are won or lost by answers not by speeches..."

Grant55 wrote, "Don't forget these "hockey moms" were the same ones who were "security moms" four and eight years ago (2000 and 2008) and who gave us George W. Bush...You would think they might learn to not run to the Republican Party every time they start trying to detract people and cow them into fear. But nope..."

BillS1 said, "Palin's introduction raises the prospect of again fighting the social wars... Obama needs to step out of this game--say we are a pluralistic society, that the democratic party has people of all faiths, and they are welcome. Same goes for guns. But, democrats have to mean it, and find ways to implement this."

We'll close with Garak, commented on my least favorite part of today's politics in writing, "...the residents of these states can all be expected to be bombarded with robocalls and all the other intrusive and annoying parts of the campaigns. While those living in other states have peace and quiet. As someone who lives in a battleground state, I want direct election of the President so I can avoid all this garbage..."

All comments on this article are here.

By Doug Feaver  |  September 15, 2008; 7:23 AM ET
Categories:  McCain , Obama , Presidential Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Much Ado About Lipstick
Next: AIG Bailout Infuriates Readers

Comments

Unfortunately Obama may not win, despite this country being ruined by GOP rule for the last 8 years. This is still America and this country is still as racist as ever...only now the racists know not to PUBLICLY espouse their hatred.

Posted by: Jill | September 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I was born and raised a dyed in the wool Pennsylvania Blue Collar Worker. I was educated and grew up proud to be a Union Steelworker. I was raised with hunting, fishing, and some religion being a normal part of my life. Everyone in mine and my wife's family (happily married 38 years now) were all Blue Collar hard working people. Back then, I was taught by my parents to “pull the lever” straight Democratic. In those days you had that option of voting completely by party.

I became an electrical engineer. I was still a blue collar worker. I was on my job facing the staggering heat of bright yellow hot steel and in winter the biting cold at my back. Any steelworker can tell you the same.

But, today, the Democratic Party is not the party I was born and raised in. Somewhere they left the Nobel causes of John Kennedy and degenerated to the Liberal agendas of Dukakis. I remember him as the man who tried to “politically subvert” my Constitution Right to own a firearm. Thus began my disillusionment with the Democratic Party.

As I grew older, I realized I was still a Democrat but the Democratic Party had changed and no longer represented the Blue Collar working man that built this great nation.

The Democratic Party became the party of big government, waste, and socialism.

The “American Dream” was gone. Hard work was subverted into a “share the wealth” with those that chose not to work. The Democratic Party turned its back on the working man and celebrated the liberal socialistic view it has today.

Despite the objections of my wife's and my own parents, aunts, uncles, etc. my wife and I changed and registered as Independents. We had become ashamed of being registered Democrats.

Though my work has taken me out of Pennsylvania and into Ohio, we have not lost the values and ideals instilled in us by our parents.

We will vote for McCain and Palin. They are the people that most closely resemble the Democratic Party of old. The Party I was once proud to be a part of.

As for my family, my Mother and Mother-in-Law are still alive and planning to vote. My mother, now 86 years old, will vote for a Republican for the first time in her life. Likewise my Mother-In-Law at age 80 will do the same.

This election will not be as "close" as the pollsters predict. McCain will win by a large margin. Polls mean very little. Even exit polls tell you nothing.

I vividly remember Susan Estrich declaring a Kerry victory with the monotonous reasoning of "Exit polls don't lie, exit polls don't lie". How wrong she was.

Posted by: John Ohio | September 17, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

For 53 years out of 54 since leaving high school, John McCain has been on the US payroll. The one year he actually had a regular job was as a beer salesman (excuse me, Vice President of PR) for his new father-in-law's beer company. And now his leading economic adviser says he isn't qualified to run Hewlett Packard! It's the economy silly.
...and yes another thought, about his early days as a Naval Aviator, consider this new (and true) ditty to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies -
The Ballad of Ace McCain
Come and listen to a story about a man named John
Buzz’n European ladies with his throttle pushed full on
Then one day he was flyin’ over Spain,
And some nasty tension wires pulled down his plane

Crash that is. Wipeout. Admiral’s boy.

Well the first thing you know ol John’s off to a game
Quarterback was Staubach of later Cowboys fame
Said fly-to-Philly for to watch old Navy win
But the ground reached up and pulled him down again

The way home. Tail-gate party. Sody-pop.

Well now its time to say goodbye to John you’d surely think.
But just re-call how it began by dumpin’ in the drink
Flew right past his landin’ mark in Corpus Christi Bay
and birthed the name of Ace McCain he carries to this day

Reverse Ace that is. Wreck a plane. Or two or three.

Y'all go vote now, y'hear?.

Posted by: BillyMcG | September 16, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

As we have said right along, Mr. Obama doesn't have a chance, and at the very least, he certainly needed Hillary. After spending millions & millions, he still has no one convinced he can lead the country. All he talks about is "change", but what does he mean by that? This man has no experience and if he was a true patriot and actually cared for his country, he would step aside and give his spot to Hillary Clinton, the TRUE legitimate Democratic Party nominee with the 18+ million historical votes. The only thing Mr. Obama has managed to do is to polarize factions of the Democratic Party & split it. Mr. Obama is a misogynist & a racist and will not be going to the White House. He certainly will not have the votes of the women of this country.

Write In Hillary 2008 = ENUF!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that no one comments on the failure of the pollsters in the last two Pres elections ? If the youth vote is squarely behind Obama and the minority vote is behind him, are they being included in the polls ? Cell phones aren't polled and most youth only have cell phones. If the new voter numbers for these states are accurate, then these voters could easily swing several of the states in question to Obama.

Posted by: Falmouth | September 16, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Any group of people who think "elite" is a derogatory term will never have to worry about being labled as one.

Posted by: BDR | September 15, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

McCain will have been born during the Great Depression and shall be leaving us one when he dies.

Posted by: B.Rollens | September 15, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I just watched McCain (shown on CNN) make some remarks about the economy in the face of today's crises regarding Lehman and Merrill Lynch. Now that Palin is not dragging him around by the hand like a confused child, and he's on his own again, it's painful to watch him. He can't put two sentences together without reading from his script that he actually thinks he's "sneaking" a look at. His words (and obviously his thoughts) are halting. He does not have a clear idea of what's going on. He has said in recent weeks that this is not a campaign of the issues, but of personalities. McCain is only four years older than I am, and I can tell you his "personality" is fast losing out to old age.It is becoming a very important issue indeed. It scares me to think that a man whose mental grip is fading might actually wind up in the White House. As I sit here in front of my newest Mac, sync my iPod Touch, and open a browser tab to check for some of the online tutoring that I do, it occurs to me that it might have done his mind some good to have joined the 21st Century and at least figured out how to send an e-mail. Sad and scary: that's what McCain is at this time. My vote is going to Obama.

Posted by: Kathleen | September 15, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Obama's toast. Done in by a VP candidate. Lightweight. Kinda start feeling bad for the Dems. Maybe Lord Rove will let us toss them a "mercy win" or something. Keep their self-esteem up and all.

Lord knows they whine enough as it is.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

By now anyone who has put any thought into the election has already decided who they are voting for. Lets be honest, at this point the election will be decided by the idiots that havent.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The VP debate doesn't matter.

The presidential debates would only matter if McCain suffered a stroke or a heart attack during the debate, which is unlikely.

The final tally will show that a small fraction of the university-educated whites, the totality of blacks, and a majority of Hispanics supported Obama, while the rest supported McCain. This adds up to a McCain victory by close to 15% in the popular vote.

It is astonishing that the only factor that matters, Obama's skin color, is treated as if anything else mattered.

Americans are in a state of collective denial unique in this nation's history. Is it shame? Or is it so much comfort with prejudice that racism isn't even an issue?

Posted by: Domingo Tavella | September 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What government regulation would have helped Lehman and what do taxpayers care if they fail? Lehman is an investment bank. There aren't any depositors to lose money in their accounts. Lehman gambled on the subprime mortgage market and lost. End of story. Taxpayers should not bail out corporations for bad investments, Lehman, Bear Sterns, whatever. Freddie/Fannie is a different scenario. They are necessary to reviving the housing market by buying or guaranteeing mortgage loans.

Posted by: NickinVA | September 15, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a people getting what they so richly (no pun intended) deserve....Way to go bushie!

Posted by: pj451 | September 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Who says Hillary Clinton would have *wanted* the VP slot? I'd be willing to bet good money that she doesn't, and that what she's actually hoping for right now is that McCain will win so that she can run against him in 2012.

Posted by: Parrish | September 15, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Obama will lose because he failed to unify the Democratic party. By not choosing Clinton, he chose to be divisive and polarizing. If this guy can't even unify his own party, how can he unify the country?

Posted by: Jane | September 15, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

If everyone would look at America's history, nobody would vote Republican.

Americans need to do their research on all candidates. I rather vote for someone that has a law degree then someone that has a degree in Journalism. This is the first time in history a black man has broken the barrier of the white men's politics. Sounds like the white men are running scare. Ask any Native American Indian how they feel about this election or does anyone care.

I am a white woman voting for Obama. So what is my label?

Posted by: Sweet Phoenix | September 15, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone putting down identity politics?

I wasn't going to vote for Obama until he added Joe Biden to the ticket. I too have hairplugs, and so do many men I know. We support Joey, because we know what he had to go through, and we can identify.

Posted by: Frankie Kastanivich | September 15, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

the mccain/palin ticket is full of lies, just like the current bush administration. if the people in the US are to dumb to understand this, than they deserve another four years of lies and coverups. obama/biden all the way!!!

Posted by: doa y | September 15, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Thank God I wasn't raised by a "hockey mom."

Obama will win because the past eight years brought to you by Bush/Cheney have been a disaster for the United States and McCain only offers more of the same or in some cases, policies that are even worse.

Posted by: BarryOR | September 15, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Remeber what McCain said about his pandering gas tax scheme earlier? "I don't care what the economic elites have to say." And his economic advisor Gramm, who said everything's fine with the economy, we're just a nation of whiners?

Posted by: Tom J | September 15, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

The NY Times had a great piece on Sarah Palin. She sounds like an up-and-coming Bush:
Places personal loyalties & grievances above the public good.
Believes in the War on Science (lied about, then covered up evidence, on global warming; and doesn't believe in evolution, like any good Republican).
Encourages librarians to remove controversial books.
Has very little experience or knowledge of the world outside her state.

Posted by: Josh | September 15, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I think it's OK McCain chose a woman, I think it's great as a matter of fact. The problem is this woman is not qualified. Look at "The Market" today. She may have the intelligence to understand it, if she'd given it any thought, but she hasn't. The President and VP are not crash courses in current events.
The states that are so quick to swing Republican in the last few days should take a good look at Gibson's interview and get past that "Hot" thing and she did OK. If we need an OK VP then can run. She sold the airplane for a loss, as Mayor she left Wasilla with a $22 million debt. She is always one step ahead of a scandal. Ambition and arrogance leads to big trouble

Posted by: Anna | September 15, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Good let The Obama take Browns Place.

SARAH PALIN IS ACCUSED OF AN AFFAIR.
HotPres.com

Obama's new ad lipstick on a Pig,
TheVeep.com

Posted by: Peter | September 15, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

BRITISH PRIME MINISTER BROWN SUPPORTS BARACK OBAMA

LONDON - BRITISH PRIME MINISTER GORDON BROWN voiced support for UNITED STATES DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE BARACK OBAMA, saying he would help Americans struggling with an economic downturn.

In a move seen by some British media as a break with a political convention requiring foreign leaders to remain neutral ahead of US elections, BRITISH PRIME MINISTER BROWN praised MR. OBAMA as a fellow “progressive politician” who would help ordinary Americans in tough times. With eight weeks to go before the presidential election, MR. OBAMA and his Republican rival John McCain are neck-and-neck in domestic opinion polls.

BRITISH PRIME MINISTER BROWN described the race for the White House as “electrifying” and said: “It is the DEMOCRATS who are generating the ideas to help people through more difficult times.”

“To help prevent people from losing their home, BARACK OBAMA has proposed a Foreclosure Prevention Fund to increase emergency pre-foreclosure counselling, and help families facing repossession,” he wrote in an article in The Monitor magazine, a monthly political publication.

2008 UNITED STATES DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL RACE

DEMOCRAT HARVARD LAW VS. GOP REPUBLICAN D STUDENTS

OBAMA OF HARVARD LAW AND PRESIDENT OF HARVARD LAW REVIEW
BIDEN OF SYRACUSE LAW

MCCAIN OF NAVY ACADEMY LAST PLACE D STUDENT
PALIN OF MOOSE COLLEGE

GOP Republican Wall Street SRO (Self Regulatory Organization) Robber Baron Supercapitalism Is Down And Will No Longer Rob the U.S. Treasury and American People

STOP DESTRUCTIVE GOP REPUBLICAN WALL STREET SUPERCAPITALISM OIL SPECUALTARS (OIL MILLIONAIRES BUSH, CHENEY, RICE, MCCAIN, PALIN)

NATIONALIZE U.S. OIL FOR NATIONAL DEFENSE
NATIONALIZE U.S. OIL FOR NATIONAL DEFENSE
NATIONALIZE U.S. OIL FOR NATIONAL DEFENSE

WHY A BARREL OF OIL ILLEGALLY SHOT UP FROM $24 TO $145 DURING THE GOP REPUBLICAN (MCCAIN, BUSH, CHENEY, RICE, PALIN) ADMINISTRATION

GOP REPUBLICAN BUSH I OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL EXECUTIVE
GOP REPUBLICAN BUSH II OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL EXECUTIVE
GOP REPUBLICAN CHENEY OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL EXECUTIVE
GOP REPUBLICAN RICE OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL EXECUTIVE
GOP REPUBLICAN GUILIANI OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL STOCKHOLDER
GOP REPUBLICAN MCCAIN OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRE AND OIL STOCKHOLDER
GOP REPUBLICAN PALIN OOOOOIIIIILLLLL COMMISSIONER AND OIL STOCKHOLDER

TOGETHER WHAT DO THEY ALL HAVE IN COMMON?

THEY ARE ALL GOP REPUBLICAN OOOOOIIIIILLLLL MILLIONAIRES AND OIL STOCKHOLDERS

GOP REPUBLICAN OOOOOIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL IS THE NEW CRACK
GOP REPUBLICAN OOOOOIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL IS THE NEW CRACK
GOP REPUBLICAN OOOOOIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL IS THE NEW CRACK

CAN YOU SAY GOP REPUBLICAN CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC, ROB OUR U.S. TREASURY, AND SPECULATE FOR OBSCENELY HIGH PROFIT RETURNS ON WALL STREET OIL STOCKS

WAKE UP AMERICA, BECAUCE THE WORLD ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT THE CRIMINAL GOP REPUBLICAN PARTY OF CONSPIRATORS

NATIONALIZE U.S. OIL FOR NATIONAL DEFENSE AS A VITAL RESOURCE

AMERICA AND AMERICANS FIRST

NO MORE GOP REPUBLICAN WALL STREET OOOOOIIIIILLLLL SPECULATION AND FRAUD AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

IF YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE AMERICA, THEN PROVE IT AND STOP THE GOP REPUBLICAN RAIDERS UPON OUR U.S. TREASURY AND OUTSOURCING OF U.S. JOBS

GOP Republican Wall Street Get Rich Quick By Robbing America Treasury Wild Speculators Created The Enormous National Debt, So Make Them Pay For It And Balance Our Budget.
GOP Republican Wall Street Supercapitalism Speculators Have Committed Treason Against Our Country.

Hillary Clinton Will Destroy Sarah Palin From Mooseville College.

Will the GOP Republican get rich by selling America party take credit for any of their disasters? GOP Republicans are successful at failing and hurting OUR COUNTRY in the eyes of the WORLD. Can we really afford to ignore what the ENTIRE WORLD THINKS OF US?

How does the WORLD perceive AMERICA led by Barack Obama? Extremely favorable.

How does the WORLD perceive AMERICA led by John McCain? Extremely negative.

FOUR MORE YEARS ANYONE?

Eventually, Americans will realize that doing the same thing (electing GOP Republicans) will not yield different results (stock market disasters, economic disasters, world view disasters, failed foreign policy disasters, failed domestic policies disasters).

Spraying perfume on a new GOP Republican Pig will not create a bright and shiny candidate. Garbage in equal garbage out. GOP Republican garbage in yield (stock market, economic, foreign relations, domestic policies) garbage out.

McCain has perpetually been a failure from school until now.
Palin has perpetually been a failure (with a hillbilly hockey mom accent) from day one until now. Her bear hunting Arctic outback kids prove it.

Do you really need someone to tell you these basic facts? Under the Freedom of Information Act, all of this information is available free if you choose to type in the questions.

Lets prove to the Europeans and the World that we are not stupid, because they think that we are after two terms of Forrest Gump Bush.

D Student Crash Every Plane McCain and Hillbilly Trailer Palin are not reflective of the American People.

If Palin had a brain, then she would have considered the immense responsibilities demanded of the Office of the United States Vice President or President; and politely declined McCain’s crack induced invitation. GOP Republican Party is a joke.

If FOX NEWS does not clean up it’s filthy RACIST acts of discrimination, then American and European audiences will B O Y C O T T FOX RACIST NEWS.

REPORT SAYS GOP REPUBLICAN OIL AGENCY RAN AMOK

INVESTIGATION OF GOP REPUBLICAN OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET

INVESTIGATION OF GOP REPUBLICAN MINERALS MANAGEMENT SERVICE OIL MARKETING GROUP

GOP REPUBLICAN Government officials in charge of collecting billions of dollars worth of royalties from OIL and gas companies accepted gifts, steered contracts to favored clients and engaged in drug use and illicit sex with employees of the energy firms, federal investigators reported.

Investigators from the Interior Department's inspector general's office said more than a dozen employees, including the former director of the OIL royalty program, took meals, ski trips, sports tickets and golf outings from industry representatives. The report alleges that the former director, also netted more than $30,000 from improper outside work.

The report from Inspector General contains fresh allegations about the practices at the beleaguered royalty-in-kind program of Interior's Minerals Management Service, which last year collected more than $4 billion worth of OIL and natural gas from companies given contracts to tap energy on federal and Indian lands and offshore. The revelations come as Congress is set to consider opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and areas off the coast of Florida for drilling.

The royalty-in-kind program, based near Denver, allows energy companies to pay the government in OIL and gas, rather than cash, for the privilege of drilling on government land. It has been the subject of multiple investigations since 2006 by the Interior Department's secretary, its inspector general, the Justice Department and Congress for alleged mismanagement and conflicts of interest.

In the report released yesterday, investigators said they "discovered a culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" in which employees accepted gratuities "with prodigious frequency." The report cited one e-mail from a Shell Pipeline representative asking a woman in the royalty office to attend "tailgating festivities" at a Houston Texans football game: "You're invited . . . have you and the girls meet at my place at 6am for bubble baths and final prep."

Besides Shell, the energy company employees mentioned in the report worked for Chevron, Hess and Gary-Williams Energy. The social outings detailed in the report included alcohol-, cocaine- and marijuana-filled parties where certain employees of the Minerals Management Service were nicknamed the "MMS Chicks" by the energy employees. The companies paid for federal workers to attend football and baseball games, PGA Tour events, Colorado ski trips, paintball outings and "treasure hunts," investigators found.

"The OIL INDUSTRY holds shocking sway over the ADMINISTRATION and even KEY FEDERAL EMPLOYEES,". "This is why we must not allow BIG OIL'S AGENDA to be jammed through CONGRESS."

The current director of the Minerals Management Service, said that he takes the report "very seriously".
Employees identified in the report told investigators that they didn't think ethics rules applied to them because of their "unique" role in the agency and that they needed to socialize with industry representatives for "market intelligence," according to the report. Those employees, some of whom have been transferred to different offices, have been recommended for internal administrative action.

The inspector general's release comprised three separate reports, including one devoted to the program's director. It alleges that Smith improperly worked part time for Geomatrix Consultants, an Oakland, Calif.-based environmental and engineering firm, and marketed the company to government clients.

Additionally, the report said that the director had an inappropriate sexual relationship with a subordinate whom he paid to buy cocaine, promising her a bonus in return. The director admitted to the sexual encounter.

The director, who now works for a private OIL company in Denver, did not respond to requests for comment. Investigators referred their findings to federal prosecutors.

Justice officials also declined to comment on their decision about the criminal case against the highest-ranking official named in the report director of the Minerals Management Service, who worked in Washington. She is accused of improperly arranging a million-dollar deal for two retired employees.

The wife of the procurement policy administrator for the WHITE HOUSE OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET, retired from government service Jan. 31. She declined to comment on the report. She told investigators she had a "personal issue. The Justice Department's decision to charge created a rift with Interior officials.

One of the two retired employees pleaded guilty in July to a federal conflict-of-interest charge related to the investigation. Another employee has been under investigation for similar conflict-of-interest allegations.

Before he left, Mayberry created a job for himself by writing the job description and the criteria for selecting the winning bidder, court documents show. He started a company out of his Texas home and was awarded a $150,000 contract in June 2003. He later hired Dial, the report said. Mayberry's firm collected $788,000 worth of contracts.

The royalty-in-kind program, which started as a small pilot project a decade ago, has been touted as a way to simplify the way OIL AND GAS COMPANIES pay for the right to drill on federal land and offshore. Instead of calculating the profit from a well, they can simply give the government one-eighth to one-sixth of whatever they take from the ground.

Revenue rose quickly, from $1.5 billion in 2004 to $4.3 billion last fiscal year. But the growth occurred "in an environment with relatively unstructured in-house oversight," the congressionally convened Royalty Policy Committee said in a December report. Previous reports have said that companies were allowed to revise their million-dollar bids for projects indiscriminately, that government workers routinely failed to seek out legal advice on complicated deals and that the agency used outdated computers and a $150 million software program that resulted in royalty money going uncollected.

A lawyer who represented states and tribes entitled to a cut of the royalties, said it was nearly impossible to get accurate numbers from the agency. "They kept hemming and hawing," she said.

In late 2006 questions arose over its handling of leases written in 1998 and 1999 that allowed major OIL companies drilling in the Gulf of Mexico to avoid billions of dollars in royalty payments.

Former Interior Department auditors accused the agency of failing to bill companies. "We weren't allowed to audit them. It was disturbing," said an auditor who sued the federal government for not collecting royalties. "You couldn't see what was going on."

The minerals agency director said that the harm done by the royalty employees was to public trust and Treasury, and acknowledged that financial considerations were given to firms that gave favors to federal employees, and he said the contracts will be audited.

Do you really question the motives of GOP Republicans Criminals? America must Immediately Nationalize U.S. OIL and Gas For National Defense.

DEMOCRAT HARVARD LAW VS. GOP REPUBLICAN CRASH JET AND MUDVILLE

U.S. Presidents From Harvard Law
John Adams
John Quincy Adams
Rutherford Hayes
Theodore Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt
John Kennedy
Barack Obama

President and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama Contrast With D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain

Growing Up

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain was privileged, given everything by both parents, and worked for nothing.

Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama grew up poor, raised by his Irish-American single white mother and Irish-American white working class maternal grand parents. Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama was given nothing and worked for everything.

Education

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain was a D student and graduated last in his class. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain and McBush Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire share failed academic records. He partied constantly and dependent on favor handouts from his high ranking father and grandfather. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain earned nothing on his own similar to McBush Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain is also Internet illiterate which slows down his information processing capacity. Is this good for the country?

Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama worked hard and became PRESIDENT OF THE HARVARD LAW REVIEW. Everything that Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama accomplished he did on his own. Irish-American Barack Obama’s HARVARD Scholarship ranks among the best. Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama’s hard work represents the American Dream.

Community Service

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain poor studies translated into poor performances in the military where he crashed several planes and recklessly endangered the lives of others. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain was never trusted by his colleagues nor loved by his peers. The highlight of D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain’s career was getting shot down and becoming a prisoner. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain served his country by getting handouts from his guards. Getting handouts seems to be D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain’s modem of operations. WillObscenelyRich Crash Every Plane McCain, who finished 894th out of 899 at the Naval Academy and who lost five jets, return competence to the White House? To lose one plane over Vietnam may be a heroic tragedy; to lose five planes here and there is carelessness.

Irish-American Barack Obama turned down large profits after graduating from HARVARD LAW to serve the community in Chicago where help was needed most. The community learned to trust and love Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama for his dedication to public service.

Marriage

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain walked out on his family to chase a younger woman who was on drugs, embezzling money from her company, stealing, and facing criminal charges, until her privileged family saved her from trial. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain’s dysfunctional family represents chaos and lack of respect when he curses her in public.

Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama married an intelligent IVY LEAGUE attorney and adores his beautiful young daughters. Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama’s First Family represents what America is striving for. Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama has always been surrounded by and still maintains a great respect for women (Irish mother, Irish grandmother, sister, wife, and two daughters). If anyone is in tune with and favors the betterment of working American women, then it’s Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama.

International Diplomacy

The World wants no more chaotic McBush Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire-D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain.

The World loves Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama and will follow America’s leadership behind Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama.

If D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain had to make another emergency landing on a deserted island with Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama onboard as one of the passengers, then it is safe to say that D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain would assume the role of Gilligan, while Irish-American and Harvard Law Scholar Barack Obama would assume the role of the professor.

Hillary Clinton Will Destroy Sarah Palin From Mooseville College.

Navy pilot John Sidney D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III should have never been allowed to graduate from the U.S. Navy flight school. He was a below average student and a lousy pilot. Had his father and grandfather not been famous four star U.S. Navy admirals, D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III would have never been allowed in the cockpit of a military aircraft.

His father John S. "Junior" McCain was commander of U.S. forces in Europe later becoming commander of American forces in Vietnam while D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III was being held prisoner of war. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III's grandfather John S. McCain, Sr. commanded naval aviation at the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.

During his relative short stunt on flight status, D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III lost five U.S. Navy aircraft, four in accidents and one in combat.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain III lost jet number one in 1958 when he plunged into Corpus Christi Bay while practicing landings. He was knocked unconscious by the impact coming to as the plane settled to the bottom.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's second crash occurred while he was deployed in the Mediterranean. Flying too low over the Iberian Peninsula, he took out some power lines which led to a spate of newspaper stories in which he was predictably identified as the son of an admiral."

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's third crash three occurred when he was returning from flying a Navy trainer solo to Philadelphia for an Army-Navy football game.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's fourth aircraft loss occurred July 29, 1967, soon after he was assigned to the USS Forrestal as an A-4 Skyhawk pilot. While seated in the cockpit of his aircraft waiting his turn for takeoff, an accidently fired rocket slammed into D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's plane. He escaped from the burning aircraft, but the explosions that followed killed 134 sailors, destroyed at least 20 aircraft, and threatened to sink the ship.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's fifth loss happened during his 23rd mission over North Vietnam on Oct. 26, 1967, when D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's A-4 Skyhawk was shot down by a surface-to-air missile. D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain ejected from the plane breaking both arms and a leg in the process and subsequently parachuted into Truc Bach Lake near Hanoi.

"Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I [D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain] did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship's name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant."

When the communist learned that D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's father was Admiral John S. McCain, Jr., the soon-to-be commander of all U.S. Forces in the Pacific, he was rushed to Gai Lam military hospital.

The communist Vietnamese figured, because POW D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain's father was of such high military rank, that he was of royalty or the governing circle. Thereafter the communist bragged that they had captured "the crown prince."

For 23 combat missions (an estimated 20 hours over enemy territory), the U.S. Navy awarded D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain a Silver Star, a Legion of Merit for Valor, a Distinguished Flying Cross, three Bronze Stars, two Commendation medals plus two Purple Hearts and a dozen service medals.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain had roughly 20 hours in combat. Since D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain got 28 medals, that equals out to a medal-and-a-half for each hour he spent in combat. There were infantry guys -- grunts on the ground -- who had more than 7,000 hours in combat where I'm sure a prison cell would have looked pretty good to them by comparison. The question really is how many guys got that number of medals for not being shot down.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain has been an unchecked master at manipulating an overly friendly and biased news media. The former POW turned Congressman, turned U.S. Senator, has managed to gloss over his failures as a pilot and collaborations with the enemy by exaggerating his military service and lying about his feats of heroism.

D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain has sprouted a halo and wings to become America's POW-hero presidential candidate.

Former naval officer and the owner of an OOIIILLLL-trading company that inked defense contracts worth $1 billion is the modern presidential money man. The law forbids high-level supporters from writing huge checks, but with help from friends in the Middle East D Student Obscenely Rich Wall Street OOIIILLLL Millionaire Crash Every Plane McCain is receiving large donations.

Barak Obama proved why November's presidential election will end in a 50-state sweep. John Crash Every Plane McCain has no chance. It's like George Bush climbing into the ring with Mike Tyson; one thundering left hook and the Crawford Caligula would be sprawled across the canvas. "No mas"! The same fate awaits the crabby senator from Arizona. The polls are skewed to look like there's a political horse-race going on. There isn't. It's a complete rout. There's one well-toned thoroughbred striding from venue to venue electrifying the ever-increasing throngs, and one doddering, old mare limping towards the glue-factory. Someone should put a stop to it before Crash Every Plane McCain gets hurt.

At the Victory Column in Berlin's Tiergarten, Obama extracted Old Glory from the burn-pile and gave Brand America a desperately needed shot of adrenaline. 200,000 ecstatic Germans jammed the streets in what turned out to be the political shindig of the year. Many of them were waving American flags and chanting, "Obama, Obama, Obama". It was like Jack Kennedy had risen from his moldy sepulcher and made his way across the pond for one last rousing ovation. Obama has the very same affect on crowds. Its a gift and he knows how to use it to great advantage.

"People of Berlin, people of the world, this is our moment, this is our time," Obama boomed. "I know my country has not perfected itself, we've made our share of mistakes and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions. But the greatest danger of all is to allow new walls to divide us from one another."

What can we say about Obama's oratory skills that hasn't already been said? He is one of those unique characters who knows how to tap into the collective psyche and put them under his spell. He is the closest thing to a Pied Piper we've seen in the last half century. Whatever one thinks of his politics, his speeches are a welcome reprieve from the simian blabbering of President Dimwit.

"I speak to you not as a candidate for president, but as a citizen; a proud citizen of the United States and a fellow citizen of the world." (Roaring applause)

JOHN Crash Every Plane McCain: Maverick or Freak?
Have you taken a look at the crowds at a Crash Every Plane McCain event. Usually, there aren't any. Typically, there are more journalists and cameramen then people; and even they look bored. It's the truth. He generates no enthusiasm at all. None. He may be the most uninspiring, tedious, pure-vanilla candidate of all time; a complete dud. I challenge anyone to recite from memory anything John Crash Every Plane McCain has ever said in his 40 years in office. Time's up! When Crash Every Plane McCain begins to talk, its a signal for women to pull out the nail-files and for men to figure out how they're going to get out of cutting the lawn this week. Really. No one listens.

And the people that do manage to drag themselves to his speeches out of a sense of obligation are (you guessed it) scowling white guys with baseball caps pulled tightly over their ears or nearly-ambulatory Korea-era Vets who think the United Nations is a communist front-group that's planning to air-drop blue-helmets into Duluth to take over the United States. Tin-foil hats anyone?

Popularity and charisma, how does one survive in politics with neither. That's the question, and it may be the biggest mystery of Crash Every Plane McCain's candidacy. He's just not a likable guy. No one ever talks about hanging out and having a beer with John Crash Every Plane McCain, because they know that he might go "Jackie Chan" and start busting the place up. And he's utterly impossible to listen to. His high-pitched squeaky voice is about two octaves higher than a dog-whistle and twice as annoying. So how is he going to beat Obama. It's a total mismatch.

Crash Every Plane McCain is the perfect candidate for the GOP Republic party that has completely collapsed. He's like the "Jolly Roger" on the front of an iodine bottle; Brand X. In 2000, the Republican Party boasted it was the "party of ideas". What ideas? The Republican Party has never had ideas because the corporate mandarins and blue-blooded kleptocrats that run the party are suspicious of ideas, ideology, doctrine, philosophy or anything else that veers from their primary objectives of crushing the poor, despoiling the environment, carpet-bombing brown people wherever they may be, and enriching themselves. That's all they care about. The task of the right-wing think-tanks is to treat "war and tax cuts" like they're ideas. They're not. But war and tax cuts ARE the two foundation blocks of the Republican Party. There's nothing else; there never has been. Don't look for ideas; there aren't any. GOP Republican get rich quick by defrauding the American People, robbing the National Treasury, sending American jobs overseas, and raising the national debt.

Hold Bush, Cheney, Rice, and Crash Every Plane McCain accountable for the crimes they've committed during their time in office.

Obama is not a candidate; he's a phenomenon. Obama is an explosive, vital, charismatic politician. When he speaks people feel better about themselves and their country. And, they're more hopeful about the future, too. That's what makes him unbeatable.

Crash Every Plane McCain, on the other hand, is the perfect embodiment of his party; a rusty, broken-down hulk that's been stripped of its engine, its fenders and all its moving parts. Even the steering wheel is gone. It's a dead-loss; nothing is salvageable.

Crash Every Plane McCain is in way over his head. This election is going to be a real embarrassment for him. It's too bad. He should be back at the Phoenix Rest Home shooing kids off the front lawn instead of waiting for the ax to fall in November. It's a rotten way to end a career.

GOP REPUBLICAN PLANE/TRAILER WRECK MCCAIN/PALIN

With Wall Street OOOIIIIILLLLLL stocks paid under the table to Sarah Palin OOOOIIIIILLLLLL Commissioner from OOOOOIIIIIILLLLLLL Millionaires Crash Every Plane McCain, Bush, Cheney, Rice and Guiliani; it appears that Sarah Palin OOOOIIIIILLLLLL Commissioner, her large family, dogs, cats, chickens, and hogs can now move out of their trailer. Guiliani went from GOP front runner to anonymous polygamist. Guiliani is the biggest joke and shares home dysfunction with Bush, Cheney, Rice, Crash Every Plane McCain and now Sarah trailer Palin OOOOIIIIILLLLLL Commissioner. OOOOIIIIILLLLLLL Millions stolen from Our Treasury did not help their dysfunctional families.

GOP Republican Wall Street Get Rich by robbing the American Treasury and outsourcing American jobs party has officially been dissolved. Plane wreck McCrash and Train wreck Trailer Palin OOOOIIIIILLLLLL Commissioners have destroyed the already dysfunctional GOP Republican Party of Corporate Welfare Thieves.

Democrats and Independents are the official parties. Blessings to America and the World for peaceful cooperation and the elimination of unjust wars for GOP profits. The People First Party has arrived and Rich Wall Street millionaires will no longer use the American People as their cattle. Americans today are all free independent Democratic People in pursuit of happiness in the spirit of cooperation.

“We joined up with an altruistic vision of promoting freedom and justice around the world,” said Vince Emanuel, a Marine lance corporal who did a tour of duty in Iraq from August 2004 to April 2005, explaining why he was marching and protesting the GOP Republican Convention.

“Except we saw the killing of innocent people and the destruction of property ... for a lot of us it was very disenfranchising."

The veterans group tried to hand a message to the campaign of GOP Republican John Crash Every Plane McCain calling for a withdrawal from Iraq, reparations for the Iraqi people, and full medical benefits for veterans. No one from John Crash Every Plane McCain’s campaign received them.

Prerequisite for the United Stats President and Vice President is advance degrees, especially in Constitutional Law. D student McCain and hillbilly Palin are excluded from the highest offices in the World. The debates will be fun: Harvard Law vs. Crash Jet and Mudville.

Hillary Clinton Will Destroy Sarah Palin From Mooseville College.

Posted by: GOP Republican Wall Street Millionaire Speculators Caught In Own Trap | September 15, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse