The Barack Obama Show

Republican-leaning Readers Who Comment have been relatively absent from Wapo political stories for the last couple of weeks, but they found their voice this morning in writing about TV critic Tom Shales's review of last night's many-channeled Barack Obama Show.

Shales wrote that "It was the easiest thing in the world, watching the skillfully edited hodgepodge put together by his campaign, to picture Obama as president. That's one thing the film was designed to do, especially for the doubters and those scared, "undecided" voters out there."

While many agree, many others do not. And Tom made a mistake that at least a dozen commenters cited, the first being chuckbarb23, who said, "Mr. Shales, I believe it was his mother, not "granny" who got the young Barack up at 4:30 in the morning to do his lessons."

That point aside, they either accuse Shales of cheerleading for Obama, attack Obama directly or praise Obama's virtues. Good to see both sides back in the fray with only five days to go.

We'll start with guytaur1, who wrote, "If you rate the success by the vitriol it gets in response from the republicans. It has been a great success."

guytauri1 may have been thinking of Linda7, who said, "I love the headline "appeal to the masses" it fits right in to why this Obama guy scares the beejeezus out of me."

Or Dan72 who wrote, "ZZZ... Boring. Ever wonder why Obama needs to "sell" us so much on his policies? See you Tuesday!"

But OldManTalkingsaid, "Obama, Obama, Obama, at 72 I never thought I'd be chanting for a young Black guy for President, but as the song says, the times they are a changing."

guisher wrote, "The one positive thing I can say for all of the 'haters' is: despite the fact that you (for some reason) despise Obama, if (by God's grace) he can win this election, he will STILL set policies that will benefit you and your family. I just don't understand why so many folks seem to hate this man!..."

catherine7 said, "That Informercial was done extremely well, which appears to be how Barack Obama does everything. No McCain in the entire 30 minutes, which is why it was so well done..."

But frankn1 wrote, "The only thing Tom Shales artical is missing is the POM POM girls jumping up and down.... So Sad"

And jesimon said, "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing while others judge us by what we have done. Obama feels capable of doing everything and we should judge him on what he has done; He does not have my vote."

speedo1 wrote, "It was a video appealing to people that can't take adversity in their lives and feel that the government will solve all their problems."

ericandbetsy wrote, "As an undecided (until last night) independent voter, I was a bit turned off by the ad and could not watch the entire thing... I certainly do not want the likes of Pelosi, Reed, and Frank to be emboldened anymore then the Republican side. I'm voting for an old reliable instead of the shiny new toy."

Scruffy1970, said, "...the liberal media wants to paint this drug using Muslim as Christ and it is ridiculous. The infomercial was a bunch of hogwash and Bill Clinton praising this clown is just because Bill Clinton likes to hear himself talk. Clinton and Obama have super huge egos which mean they are both masterful liars."

moemongo wrote, "Very well done and focused on concerns of the normal family."

johnbsmrk said, "...This writer puts his finger on the key: the unspoken comparison with McCain. Old, backward looking, continually attacking and not really advancing any kind of vision..."

But bobmoses wrote, "...Shales is a joke. Anyone want to guess what his reaction would have been to the same commercial put out by a Republican? Move Shales to the Op Ed page and get someone who wants to be a tv critic in there. The Post is a disgrace. From the first page to the last."

jhtlag1 said, "Thanks Tom. I'm guessing you're a little on the liberal side but appreciate the "slighty arched brow" in critic-ing this political broadcast."

nychap44 wrote, "I would like to hire Obama to sell my magic kitchen chopper. How do I reach him to make the offer?"

forgetthis said, "I think we should prolong this campaign for another two years. At this rate of spending, Obama's campaign would have successfully regained all the wealth we lost to the Saudis in that time frame. Go Team America!"

We'll close with DimView, who recalled the last time a presidential candidate bought 30 minutes of network time and wrote, "I liked Ross Perot's Infomercial better."

All comments on this article are here.

By Doug Feaver  |  October 30, 2008; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  McCain , Obama , Presidential Politics  | Tags: McCain, Obama, Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are the Polls Wrong?
Next: Readers Believe Obama Polls

Comments

Funny how the brainless chanters from the Right criticize Sen. Obama's "infomercial" (what a word...). "Drill, baby, drill" "U-S-A" and "Joe the plumber" do not help getting the country out of the mess it is in.

Posted by: om4n | October 31, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

blevins20061 I skipped the Oprah Hour special, and took Mr.Obama's advice, turn off the TV and explained to my daughters why I am voting MCCAIN/PALIN.

Well dear, I have news for you, you have skipped "life" clearly an ignorant person who cannot be enlightened and keeps their children from being enlightened. You people scare me.

Posted by: msreginacomcastnet | October 30, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Who in the hel.. does this person thinks she is? We are all in this mess the together! She sounds like a republican elitist, as all republicans are. Of course, the masses are the people hurting jack as... I can't stand people who do not want to be part of reparing a broken government. go away all the Linda7 likes.

Posted by: msreginacomcastnet | October 30, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting that so many conservatives are so frightened of Barack Obama, considering that a few short months ago they were equally afraid of John McCain. These same conservatives bitterly fought inside their own party to keep John McCain away from the helm. These folks seem very fickle, with the only constants being fear, anger, and panic. If it were John McCain and a moderate running mate vs. Hillary Clinton and (say) Nancy Pelosi, I'd be voting for McCain... BUT when McCain picked the political equivalent of Brittany Speers, I lost faith both in his judgment and his professed concern for the nation. Either John's 'over the hill' and has become one more 'old man', or his ego has clouded his common sense. At least Barack Obama seems to have a head on his shoulders and an ability to think clearly under pressure. And his campaign is a monument to his managerial skills (unlike the makeshift and failing ad-hoc McCain apparatus, which seems cobbled together by folks who can't plan past tonight...)

Posted by: tbrucia | October 30, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Go GOP!

Posted by: blevins20061 | October 30, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Why are "Inspired Americans" who seek a dramatic change from George W. Bush pigeon holed in a category of cheerleaders?

The heart of Obama's platform is that "we the people" will to do the heavy lifting together under a team of inspiring leadership. There are some basic level programs - like health care (kind of a human rights issue really) that government can provide an assist on.

If you look at what "Left" is on a global scale, Obama is actually much closer to the middle. Democratic does not equal "Socialist" and Republican does not equal "Religious Extremist". It is time to move past labels and "one size fits all" party platforms and to talk about common problems and solutions.

Posted by: DonJulio | October 30, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama's presentation was gifted. The right wing, knee-jerk response is typical.

The right wing of the Republican party should take responsibility for a culture of fear and hate that they have built and empowered. It is a tragic day in our country when a major political party moves so far from the center and so fills it's members with fear, hate, and propaganda that they cannot see one good characteristic in the candidate from the other party or understand that everything Obama says is aimed at helping us as a nation.

My prayers are with the people on the right. My heart aches to see them so tortured. It is a sad, sad statement that the McCain/Palin campaign has not provided a more optimistic, inclusive path for their followers. Jesus would be telling you all to calm down, focus on healing, and understand we are all Children of God. Can't you hear Him?

Posted by: maggieww | October 30, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see it. Was too busy pondering what, beyong a financial bailout, $1 trillion will buy these days. See

Posted by: jheubusch | October 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse