A Social Security Bribe?

Our Readers Who Comment are at war this morning over President Obama's suggestion that Congress provide a one-time $250 payment to Social Security recipients because there will be no cost of living increase for the first time in decades.

Some readers call this proposal a bribe to gain senior support for health care reform and that the economy can't afford it. Others say it's a great idea and badly needed. Some suggest that there should be a means test -- that $250 is a lot more to some people than it is to others. And there are the interminable uncivilized attacks on Obama from the crowd that always launches uncivilized attacks on Obama no matter what he suggests. These are always answered by those who note that Obama is not named Bush. I wish both sides would find new scripts.

As Amy Goldstein and Neil Irwin write, "Obama endorsed the idea, which is expected to cost at least $13 billion, as the administration gropes for ways to sustain an apparent economic rebound without the kind of massive spending package that critics could label a second stimulus act."

We'll start with GordonShumway, who most succinctly stated the position expressed by many in writing, "Add this one to the list of unfilled promises and just plain lies from our nobel winning loser!"

But book134 said, "While it is debatable as to whether the cost of living has or has not risen, the $250 stipend will not only be a big help to people on Social Security, most of whom are low income, but it will also give a temporary economic boost of 1-2 months which would be a big help to this anemic economic recovery..."

AnnsThought suggested that "They should at least do a means test. The people who are currently receiving Social Security benefits are some of the last who are also receiving pensions from defined benefit plans. Combined, their incomes sometimes approach $100,000 per year. They don't need a $250 check. On the other hand, I know a person who receives about $900 per month, and her son has to help her. She could really benefit from $250. To her that is a great deal of money."

And slim2 said "I would support this wholeheartedly if the additional payment was limited to those collecting SS in the bottom half of income."

hyroller56 wrote, "...The fact is the United States was founded by elite aristocrats,Jefferson,Washington,Hamilton,Adams were all sons of the very wealthy and their aim was for the many to serve the few,much as slaves do...The "we the people" BS is only to pacify the mindless masses who are unfortunately the majority here"

missyb1 said, "If the Obama Administration hadn't already blown billions in useless "stimulus" such as the Cash for Clunkers program, there would be real dollars for the elderly. Instead, once again, he's bankrupting our children to subsidize his presidency."

jrealty wrote, "Sure. Let's just continue to kick the can down the road and let future generations pay the bills. Let's give seniors a paltry $250 check to keep them sucking the teat of the federal government so they will continue to vote for these fraud politicians in Washington."

To which Julescator replied, "Gee and where were you and your kids and grandkids when Bush was paying $3 trillion in Iraq? That's not paid for. But the good news is that YOU, YOUR mom and dad, kids, and grandkids are paying for healthcare for the Iraqis AND you are rebuilding their country. Now start crying about that!"

NMremote wrote, "Hey, I don't want the $250. I want one of those bank bonuses, 5 million will do as a starter..."

Awheck said, "This will buy many votes using tax payer money. It is suprising what a little walking around money can do. The average American could probably e bought for 50 cents but $250 is much better."

postfan1 wrote, "...This is just a cheap attempt to curry favor with the elderly, right before they add a lot of people to medicare. Then they'll have a data point to say they helped when times were rough..."

ssmhchr said, "...The elderly and disabled have numerous government safety nets inaccessible to the rest of the population. For every senior whose income falls below the Federal Poverty Level, there are two children under age 18 who are so categorized. Why not give these families $250 for each child? The answer is obvious: they can't vote and they're not organized. Nothing succeeds like cohesive whining and AARP has a large megaphone."

To which skylark1 replied, "...two points: 1. people have a choice about whether to have children they can't support, but no one has a choice about whether or not to get older. 2. younger people can try to find work to supplement their income, but seniors will experience enormous ageism and will not be able to find any work at all."

Auburninbp wrote, "Now we can add bribery to the never ending list of things Obama will do in order to generate support for Obamacare. This is disgusting. I'm a senior and I could use the money, but dang the law is no inflation no increase. If I get the money, I still won't support Obama or Obamacare."

Alangc2 said, "This should be a red flag to all of you who believe that a national health care bill will be revenue neutral and will not increase the deficit. Now we borrow another 13 billion from China for a one time Social Security bump when the government's own formula does not allow a cola for social security recipients. While the cause may be very noble, the nation doesn't have the money, just as we don't for a national health care bill."

We'll close with sarcasm from nanonano1, who wrote, "Give me my $250. I will donate it to the campaign of any challenge to a seat in congress.Regardless of party. CHANGE."

All comments on this article are here.

By Doug Feaver  |  October 15, 2009; 7:15 AM ET
 | Tags: Obama, Social Security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Health Reform Anger Shifts to Insurers
Next: Tax Wall Street bonuses say readers

Comments

We have a government that basically prints up money and gives it away. How cool is that? Why only to those 62 and older? Why not all of us? And if $250.00 is good then $250,000 is better. Wait! Why not give everyone $2,500,000 and then the recession will be over. Hurray! Obama is a genius! I'll vote for him.

Posted by: djoshimisk | October 15, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess you bitter GOPers would rather have Obama spend billions and billions looking for WMDs in some offbeat country. When you folks start posting the comedy flies everywhere. By the way, the stock market closed with indices higher than from yesterday. Wonderful rebound under Obama!

Posted by: bcs2k | October 15, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I for one have only had one pay raise in 10 years, during which there has been an inflation, and my insurance contributions have been going up too...

Shouldn't no inflation mean, no need for extra money?

But actually there is an inflation going on: the government just juggles the books to hide it: gas and food are most people's major expenses, and their prices are not included in the inflation index, are they. They have been skyrocketing.

So give the retirees $250. But give it to me too.

Best way to do this? Borrow the money from China, and then renege on the loan. The resulting war will be good for the economy, and the death toll will reduce health care costs for the forseeable future.

Posted by: Don19 | October 15, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Entitlement programs are leading the U.S. into tens of trillions of dollars of debt. A government healthcare program will multiply the problem and bankrupt our economy for good. The numbers phrophesy of the of the impending disaster, lets act now to ...protect the future for our children. – http://is.gd/4lbZz

Posted by: WaterCoolerWeekly | October 15, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I am on SS and normaly I would say no $250.00 , but if I don't take it , it will just go to pakistan or some congress mans cousin.

Quit giving money away that my grandkids will have to pay back.

$250.00 is too small of a bribe anyway.

Posted by: rlkidd58 | October 15, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, oh.I just remembered. Congress VOTED ITSELF a COLA raise not long ago. How quickly we forget, and how quickly Congress can scam us!!!

Posted by: vltg | October 15, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Officially we may not have inflation, but if you do the grocery shopping, you know that food prices have been rising steadily. I favor the $250 payment--but only for those whose sole income is Social Security. No CDs, no investment income, no other retirement for either the potential recipient or a spouse. In other words, make a reasonable attempt to give the money on a needs basis. Since it won't come from the "trust fund" (per Obama) then a needs test is okay. With such a test, my wife, as an example, would not get such a check because I have a reasonable non-SSA retirement.

Posted by: stuck_in_Lodi | October 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Forget means testing for the $250. The entire program should be means tested. It's not right that low income workers are paying into a program that subsidizes the elderly, regardless of their financial position. I realize that the program is supposed to be some social contract, but that contract was broken long ago. Social Security might keep some people out of poverty (a positive), but it's greatest flaw is that is does nothing to help break the cycle of poverty. Only wealth built up over a lifetime that is passed down does that.

Example: My mother-in-law (a middle-class nurse) unexpectedly died at 54-years-old this past April. After paying into Social Security her entire career, it paid back zero in benefits to her two surviving daughters (age 31 and 23). Nothing. Not even a sympathy card. This from a system that she paid into from her first part-time job as a teenager all the way until her last paycheck that came after she died.

But the 401k she had, while down in value, provided her two daughters each with a nice little nest egg. Not enough to make them rich, but enough that maybe the younger one can pay off studnent loans, etc.

How are low-income families ever supposed to get out of poverty when a program like Social Security is designed to ensure they stay there?

Posted by: NoVAHockey | October 15, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

$250 for seniors et al + $500 for each child born in America!...Isn't this "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" Our kids will be paying for all this for the rest of their lives. And the scam is that these will be "invested" or used for "essentials." This money will go the way of all other ObaME cash for clunkers and Ponzi schemes. Come on, folks do your basic math. Or didn't you get that class in school? Perhaps the NEA was dictating an Indoctrination Day instead of a Math Class.

Posted by: vltg | October 15, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The left wingers are finally in charge. Harry Reid estimated the cost of our health program at $2 TRILLION today. Nancy Pelosi wants to provide "muscle" to the middle class's health program. I happen to be middle class, and I already have good insurance. Now I'm looking forward to Medicare being gutted just as I plan for retirement, my taxes will go up to pay for the new "free" health care Nancy will provide to the undereducated, non-working, underclass that she calls the middle class, and either me or my employer will be penalized if we choose not to play along. This brain trust helped bankrupt California, now they are doing the same to the rest of us. The good news is: mid-term elections are rapidly approaching.

Posted by: glmcolo | October 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Obama! Where is my $250??? Where is my free car? And where is my free house? Throw in a new cell phone, please! Oh yeah...I want F-R-E-E health care!

Who needs to work....we have OBAMA!

Posted by: Revcain777 | October 15, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

If all of congress,the president and all others that are suppose to be working for the
people were to be put on the same insurance
reform bill act that we are trust me we would not have a problem and not a soul would be crying. Live like the People then we would see the ones that would be crying on the White House lawn.

Posted by: speakurmind | October 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

But Obama and the Democrats just gave Pakistan 7.5 million dollars today. Obama has done nothing for the AMERICAN people but lets take care of Pakistanis people why we as AMERICANS struggle to make our morgages.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | October 15, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

As a SS pensioner I always welcome more money. But I also know that annual increases or a promised $250 payment is one more expense Uncle Sam can't afford. Enough already. Stop the financial bleeding or at least be honest and admit that higher taxes are needed to meet expenses. There is no reason to give folks on SS an annual COLA for the most part. Every 2-3 years would be fine. But COLA's are like dope to those who want more and more from Washington. So I guess our politicians are hooked on bribing the masses with more money the taxpayers can't afford. No wonder my 3 sons are convinced SS will not last long enough to give them a pension like I am fortunate to have. I guess biting the bullet in hard times is no longer part of the American experience.

Posted by: newsmkr | October 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

$250 would pay one of my monthly credit card bills. Well.. ok... maybe two.

Posted by: trambusto | October 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Next question is will we also have to pay a "stipend" to Federal Employees when their pay remains stagnant due to low inflation? Active duty Military? How about Federal retirees to include Military retirees? It is a slippery slope.

Posted by: Tampa2 | October 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thozmaniac; My heart and prayers go to you and your wife. Life has its ups and downs but there are people who need you through these times. One is your wife and the others are people you know. We only have one life and it is a snippet of eternity. Cherish the ups and downs with your love one as you both vowed to do. But never give up on yourself or those whose life you touched. Be blessed as you will both overcome these obstacles. Stay with us and keep your trust in God. (signed - a black, so-called liberal (actually middle of the road), Obama supporter)

Posted by: bcs2k | October 15, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow jfacteau! You seem to have mastered all of Sean "fear mongering" Hannity's talking points. Too bad you're as wrong as he is.

As I said earlier...

I'm laughing hysterically at comments from you bitter haters. At first you claimed Obama was wrong for allegedly wanting Death Panels for seniors. Next you complain that he is wrong for trying to help them financially. Do me a favor and make up your mind!! Is he wrong for supposedly killing them or wrong for supposedly helping them? Or both? Or neither? You really can't have it both ways. Or can you? I'm just trying to understand the madness of your lives. And I'm bored.

Posted by: bcs2k | October 15, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

As disabled seniors, both me and my wife need the $250.00 very very bad.
We cannot work due to physical disabilities and our rent is $300.00 a month, which we have trouble paying along with utilities and such.
My wife is bi-polar and she found out yesterday that her medicine to control this is no longer covered by her current medicaid insurance, so she's been wanting to commit suicide.

Without this stimulus we would die.
All that being said, no way will I support or vote for any liberal or Obama in particular.
If things get much worse though I have to come up with a plan for a "suicide pact" with my wife.

We've already discussed this and are actually quite ready to "check out" of this God forsaken country and planet.

Posted by: Thozmaniac | October 15, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

....then why will the cost of Medicare insurance cost go up?????

Posted by: mpixton1 | October 15, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

When people like my brother take a 10% pay cut due to the economy, why does it make sense for the seniors to get a raise (after all, it isn't a COLA, so it must be a raise, right)?

Posted by: Simon_S | October 15, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

....then why will the cost of Medicare insurance cost go up?????

Posted by: mpixton1 | October 15, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Its a shame that Obama is trying to buy off the seniors. Maybe an apology to them will work, it seems to help apologizing to the rest of the world for us, it even got him a Nobel Peace prize(what a joke). If I was a kid in the military today and had to look at him for Commander in Chief I certainly would not re-enlist. For what is going on here is an insult to any man or woman that has served this country. You are correct, I have no use for him as President and will not support him as generally we are told we have to do. If he got thrown out of office tomorrow I would gladly throw a party and hopefully Pelosi and Reid would get chucked out with him. This country NEEDS to wake up as to what it will take to turn it around. Handouts, ACORN etc is not the answer. hard work and taking care of yourself may be a fantastic start but those attributes seem to be a thing of the past.

Posted by: jfacteau | October 15, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Is it too much to ask that someone in the Fourth Estate does an informative, factual, non-biased piece (you know, like reporters used to do and newspapers used to print) instead of regurgitating crap? I realize that few, if any, of our leaders/representatives desire an informed electorate for fear of being turned out of office but... "The truth will set you free!" only if someone speaks/writes it and someone listens/reads it. Perhaps if the people were informed (big assumption is that they want to be)there would be change for the better.

Posted by: thinking1962 | October 15, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For every one that is hollowing about this is a bride and all else people say negative about the POTUS....

It is five of us to your one that knows that Bush messed up this country and he piled debt upon debt with that bogus Iraqi War, and now we have a President that wants to help the American People and all we get is negative press from silver-headed senior citizen who probably grew up in segregation.....

I am waitning on the next generation of Seniors because this lot right now are clueless and prejudice beyond mean...

Another thing they shouldn't had did that too Graham and let it go national trust me that put the coffin on Rush's and Glen so-called conservative-right.

And if not mistaking I noticed most who are doing the complaining are Irish....

Blacks and Irish have a history of prejudice towards one another - However, history shows BLACKS contributed more to help build this country while the IRISH did more to turn it into a capitalistic/society which is the cause of where we are today....

BET MOST OF THOSE BANKERS WHO ARE GIVING OUT BONUS ARE IRISH WHO ARE PAYING OFF IRISH....

IT IS TIME TO KICK THE COVER OFF THE IRISH...

Posted by: danson1 | October 15, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

YAY!! Print and borrow.. Screw America.. Screw the grandkids.
Yours Truly, so to speak.
Obama

Posted by: Billw3 | October 15, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

No COLA means that seniors LOSE ground.

Medicare premiums usually go up, never down. The cost of gasoline may have gone down (temporarily), but the cost of everything else is up.

No COLA means that my husband and I must tighten our belts again.

We drive a 12 year old car - couldn't afford a new car even with the cash for clunkers.

We don't go out to eat at fancy restaurants (unless you count an occasional ice cream cone at McDonald's as fancy).

We don't go on trips or buy luxuries (unless you count food, clothing, and medicine as luxuries).

No COLA for seniors

BUT

billions of dollars for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

billions of dollars to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan and bribe Pakistan to be our "friend"

billions of dollars to bail out the corporations

billions of dollars to everyone but for you and me -- the average American....

How about making our elected officials live off of minimum wage without their fancy (low-cost) health insurance and without all their perks?

But no, our elected officials (the worst politicians money can buy) have to do their masters' bidding. And who are their masters? The corporations and the rich who donate millions of dollars to the politicians.

I read somewhere that America should be called the United States of Corporations -- how right that person was.....

And so as usual the average American is S.O.L.

Posted by: abbydelabbey | October 15, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I am an underserving geezer ... back in my day, defense contractors routinely tacked on thirteen billion for "O&A". When did opinions of opinions of opinions become the most important thing in YOUR world? Clearly, many folks have never even heard of the "doughnut" in Medicare's medicine coverage ... sigh.

Do stay as angry as you can, it lowers the cost of heart meds, if not the price. Margins must keep growing! How else can we feel like it is even w;;o//.rt8'h //k worth living? (kitten comments added Live!)

Posted by: AlanMarcy | October 15, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

There are two groups of individuals who need protection, children and elders.. I could add, poor and female to that list.

We need good low end jobs.. even if they don't meet minimum wage.. there should be a special category for those who seek employment, yet can't afford to lose their transfer payments or government health benefits.. How we treat our elderly is the real reflection of the quality of our society's fabric.

Living in Florida, I see each day the challenges faced by the aforementioned.

Posted by: newbeeboy | October 15, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

A Bribe? Couldn't be. This is the administration of hope, change and transparency.

Posted by: AkCoyote | October 15, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I am a senior,,,,but I can smell a bribe!! And this is a doozy!!!!This will be a lump payment of about $25 a month for a year to a whole host of people, not just seniors... yet, they do not qualify for a COLA? We have had a family saying for 2 generations: "We will give until H.e.l.l. freezes over, but we won't be taken" Bribe away, ObaME...the so-called health reform, is a crock, and my children and grand-children will pay for it with their very livlihoods and hopes for a future. The last "bribe" was offensive...deposited in SS accounts w/o comment. Shame, shame, shame!!!

Posted by: vltg | October 15, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea...reduce earmarks by $13Billion to pay for it...AND...restrict it based on income, e.g., only those with an adjusted gross income (from tax returns) of at most $xx,xxx will receive it. In other words, do it in a sensible way (PLEASE!).

Posted by: bob83 | October 15, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The reason that there is a formula is to provide an increase when the cost of living goes up. If the cost of living does not go up, I don't see why an increase should be contrived.

It can only be a political move and the Post's headline, i.e., "Stagnant Prices Prevent Social Security Increase," is rather a pathetic method of stating what is taking place. You are better than this...

Posted by: bob83 | October 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Means testing is a necessity if Obama wants
to stimulate the economy. I and my wife would each receive the $250 but it would not change our spending habits. We do not need it! Give to those who do need it and would spend it.

Posted by: jslivesay | October 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

There is inflation, goods I purchase cost more, not less. How the government measures for inflation currently has been in question. This President has undeniably bailed out the bankers from losses incurred due to unethical and idiotic business practices, and did so at the expense of me and my fellow tax payers. That money was mine, I would prefer it be not taken from me, or at least given back to me rather than handed to corrupt institutions that pay employees billions in bonuses and are currently enjoying record profits. That US citizens debate about COLA adjustments for retired people when there is sufficient cause for even rage against actions of our tyrannical Congress is a sad statement to the condition of this America's collective intelligence. Our people have, again, voted the fox that ate the chickens in charge of the hen house. WTFU and stop believing the BS. Vote out the status quo READ and vote for those who are telling you about the true conditions of business concerning the Fed and it's member banks. Remember the guy who ran that said we were in trouble, that we were broke, that the Fed was responsible largely, and that our involvement with the Fed was not even supported by our Constitution, who said we would not under this current administration be leaving Iraq, or Afghanistan, who recommended we eliminate income taxes, who wanted to break the corporate control of government and return power to the people of this country? Who was that?

Posted by: jeff_p101 | October 15, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm laughing hysterically at comments form bitter haters. At first you claimed Obama is wrong for allegedly wanting Death Panels for seniors. Next you complain that he is wrong for trying to help them financially. Do me a favor and make up your mind!! Is he wrong for supposedly killing them or wrong for supposedly helping them? Or both? Or neither? I'm just trying to understand the madness of your lives. And I'm bored.

Posted by: bcs2k | October 15, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Why stop with seniors on social security, no matter their income? How about throwing money at people in their twenties who can't find a job and aren't on unemployment? People with young families? People whose wages are going down instead of up while they work harder to make up for downsizing and insourcing and outsourcing? I can't wait to be a senior. If I live that long I should be good to go.

Posted by: SarahBB | October 15, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I`m Nanonano1 and that wasn`t sarcasm but a statement of fact.

Posted by: nanonano1 | October 15, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

More government spending equals yet another record setting deficit which will lead to a further devaluation of the dollar and we'll just pass the bill on to our children. Obama is making the fiscally irresponsible Bush administration look tight in comparison.

Posted by: xfreestater | October 15, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If social security isn't entitled to a raise then the government shouldn't be entitled to a pay raise either. I know all the senators and the house will all get raises. even the ones who are retired. I don't think they should get any raises either JLC

Posted by: jc-0824 | October 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Nothing new about buying votes! The Democrats have done it for years, buying the votes of blacks, Hispanics, Labor, and others with all sorts of goodies from the public trough. Seniors don't need more money but the Democrats need seniors' votes. Seniors are selfish enough and ignorant enough to fall for this.

Posted by: ravitchn | October 15, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I really am one of those in the lower bottom half of the SS recpeiants, and God and the others in the same positions can understand what I'm saying, and of course those at the upper end don't even read any of this stuff...I do agree with two (2)statements the first is by NMremote and please start me with the $5,000,000 and I'll repay the $250.00 as soon as I turn a profit...LOL the second statement by Julescator talking about how we are taking care of the Iraqies (Although it's our responsibilities) health care and rebuilding their inforstructer and of course we hear no remarks from the GOP cronies of how we are taking care of W's screw-ups,,,if I could I'd move to Canada is there anyone who has the money to give me so I could do that,,that's a terrible thing for me to do now (moving to canada) I'm an old Viet-Nam Veteran maybe we should have elected Jane Fonda way back then, and all the coropate traitors of today would have been very very happy....

Posted by: hitchhiker2008 | October 15, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I rate AnnsThoughts as the best. That said, the rabid comments that irrationally accuse President Obama of bankrupting the country are mostly from Republican losers who either have a short memory(forgetting this is George Bush's Recession) or are just plain dishonest and will say or do most anything for the sorry Republican party.

Posted by: Thependulumswings | October 15, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Is there anything that Obama can do right? If you oppose a $250 check, send it back, don't cash it, donate it to a food bank, but please stop kvetching constantly.

The talk back negativity that floods the media each time our President says something is truly tiresome. Can it be that it's dittoheads and Beckerheads are simply obeying their masters on hate and fear radio?

COLA's lag. I have no idea what SS is using to decide there is no inflation, but they certainly aren't shopping where I do.

Posted by: jtn123 | October 15, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"These are always answered by those who note that Obama is not named Bush. I wish both sides would find new scripts."

I listened to 8 years of Bush Bashing ...and you can't take 6 months of it from your home boy????

Posted by: susieW | October 15, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Please help us. There are millions who have exhausted or will exhaust unemployment benefits and will no longer be considered unemployed therefore we are no longer part of the equation. The jobless numbers would be higher if we were counted. We were promised extensions but to date we have heard nothing and the unemployment rate is at 10%. If the economy is rebounding where are the jobs? Why are we neglected? People are starving begging, and hoping to just make it to a New Year. People are sick. I now take medication for high blood pressure, anxiety, depression which I did not take before this recession hit. Mr. Obama, like Satan, is a master of lies. HELP!

Posted by: dylansdad15 | October 15, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I thought a cost of living increase was to offset the effects of inflation. At present, we don't have any inflation. And what can't Washington understand about being broke? If we don't have any money now, how can they think we should spend more? Look at the deficit!!!

Posted by: SHRUB1 | October 15, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse