Immigration reform and the second grader

The angriest and most hateful comments from our readers come on articles about illegal immigration, and the television clip of that second-grade girl telling Michelle Obama that her mother doesn't have papers has brought out the mob again.

There are certainly sympathetic remarks about the child's concerns and her mother's plight, but the majority of the 260 comments at this writing are rants against immigrants in general, charges that the student's comments were carefully staged and criticism of the Obama administration's attempts to find a federal legislative solution on a subject fraught with peril for many members of Congress.

As Michael D. Shear and Michael Birnbaum write, "On the day of a carefully choreographed state dinner with the Mexican president, it was another reminder of outside factors intruding on the Obama administration's careful and paced pursuit of a bipartisan agreement on immigration reform."

We'll start with this rant from warhawk911, who wrote, "Doesn't have immigration papers? Find her and remove her immediately for violating American Immigration Law! Oh yea...I forgot! Obama does not care about the law and the fact that the school won't identify the people, tells me that they are indeed here illegally!"

But Thinker_ said, "The only ones who should be here "legally" are the Native Americans. Not the Euro-Trash Barbarians and their persecuted slave classes, not to mention their ignorant descendants who used her resources to enrich a few white men and bludgeon every other nation preemptively and financially. Yep. We sure have some legacy to be proud of regarding being the rightful owners of 'this land.'..."

mehuwss wrote, "This little second-grader will have to grow up in fear because Obama is primarily interested in protecing Democratic Senators and House members from having to vote on immigration reform at the expense of millions of vulnerable immigrants across the nation."

menopausequeen said, "Please tell me this was an actual genuine spontaneous comment and not a "moment of opportunity". Please tell me this child was not used to make a political point. Please tell me that certain elements in this country have not sunk this low."

two4three2 wrote, "I agree that this whole encounter was staged. Let's be real here --- if the girl was so afraid that her "paperless" mother was in danger of being taken away, does anyone think that she would draw attention to herself that way?"

But akryan said, "Just to give this girl the benefit of the doubt for a second, she's only 7 years old. She may have just picked up on a conversation and thought that it literally meant that a person has to have paper. I'm not saying it is, but it could just be an innocent mistake."

nadine2 wrote, "I beleive in very strong enforcement of immigration laws--and illegal is illegal Anyone who is here illegallly is committng a crime and should never to offered citizenship. I found the child in this story entirely credible. It's ridiculous to believe otherwise. She sounded like a typical second grader to me. Clearly it's on her mind because her parents are talking about it a lot at home."

DecafDrinker said, "If the girl was born here, she is an American citizen and can be legally enrolled in public school. That's the law, whether we agree with it or not (I happen to not agree, as I think at least one parent should be a citizen). Elem. school kids ask questions just like that (I used to teach elem. kids years ago) and Mrs. Obama replied in a way that was neither threatening nor encouraging to the girl."

prestonwilliams asked, "So the Mother is teaching the little girl that is OK to be a criminal and thief which of course is what she'll pass onto her kids. Same philosophy that teaches them it's OK to live off another country's citizens hard-work and taxes to pay for their free medical care, school lunches, jail over population, having multiple babies that they can't afford and higher insurance rates, just to name a few."

wggodek wrote, "Yes, secure the border FIRST. It is amazing to me. The President of the United States apologizing for the immigration law of his country. Apologizing to the president of Mexico. What other our laws Mr. Calderon doesn't like? What other laws our President apologizes for?..."

duke99 said, "The immigration program is not "broken", only the enforcement of immigration laws is. Apparently Obama now gets his marching orders from the President of Mexico..."

nanonano1 said, "Congress has shown no guts about this problem for 20 years - I guess that shows the quality of the 'greatest deliberative body in the world'..."

PennyWisetheClown wrote, "The American people are against any type of amnesty and just want the illegals sent packing. Poll after poll shows that and still our elected officials pander to these people-We no longer have a government that represents the will of the citizen."

Jimof1913 wrote, "The Democrats and the Obama Administration have dug themselves into a hole. When they say immigration reform everyone knows they really mean amnesty. This is an attempt to get the Hispanic vote but most Americans are against amnesty. The Republican party, which on paper is against amnesty, doesn't want to vote for or against immigration reform. Again in order to court the Hispanic vote. This is the real reason why immigration reform is going nowhere in congress..."

All comments on this article are here.

By Doug Feaver  |  May 20, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
 | Tags: Illegal Immigrants, Mexico, Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party
Next: The European threat to the U.S. economy

Comments

The illegal basher crowd is a hate movement, nothing new there.

Posted by: voui73 | May 23, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I take offense to people calling me a racist because I want all illegal aliens deported. Deport them all regardless of race creed or color.

Now amnisty is being framed as giving illegals legal status instead of citizenship. We are onto your tricks. No Amnisty ever, just deportation.

Posted by: joejoe2000 | May 23, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Ali4, I see where you are getting to. I understand that Mexico is wealthy, unfortunately my family was not too lucky. You see, I'm not trying to say that Americans are right or wrong because we are not either. I know we should really sit down at the table roll out our sleeves and talk about a solution. I understand that immigration is getting out of hand, therefore I strongly believe on a stronger border and also that Mexico's president really needs to do something about the issue. But I see that the majority argue that we don't pay taxes but let me tell you that our job payment comes in cash therefore we don't pay taxes and others don't simply own properties. But let me tell you that if we would be legal residents we would have no choice. I also want everyone to think about us students who have being living here in the USA all our lives, I mean many of us have college degrees with 4.0 GPA and are not able to work. Going back to mexico is like going to a foreign country because we were brought here when we were infants. You see, is not just about knowing spanish and you can succeed in mexico. This is the country that saw me growing and which I came to love.

I don't really know what is going to happen next with this problem, but I can assure you that we are not going to give up our dream.

By the way, thank you for taking the time of responding to my comments, I see you are really interested in this issue. Good luck.

Posted by: Natalie4 | May 21, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah well Ali4, I see where you are getting. But let me tell you something, yes Mexico may be one of the richest countries as you say, but unfortunately my family was not that lucky. You see, I am not trying to say Americans are right or wrong, because we are not either. I just want to say that we all need to really sit down at the table and roll our sleeves and start thinking about a way to solve this immigration problem. I noticed that the majority argue that we don't pay taxes, well since we receive our job payment in cash we don't have the opportunity to pay taxes or others don't simply own property. However, once immigrated we would have no choice, you see. But I also understand that immigration is getting out of hand, therefore I also believe in a stronger border and that the Mexican president can make a better country back there. Also, I want everyone to consider us students who have being living here all our lives. I mean, I live in a Hispanic community and we all have college degrees and 4.0 GPA, and are not able to work. I don't know what is going to happen next with this problem, but I do know that we are not giving up on our dream.

Posted by: Natalie4 | May 21, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Natalie4, Mexico is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and home to the world's richest man, Carlos Slim Helu, who was a guest at the State dinner that evening. Perhaps this little girl should have asked Mrs. Obama just why it is that a wealthy country such as Mexico can't seem to make work for its people, including her parents? Fact is, according to a study by the Pew Hispanic Center a few years ago, the Mexicans who come here aren't even the poorest of the poor but those who had jobs in Mexico but wanted "more".

I've lived in countries in the Middle East/North Africa far poorer than Mexico. Those people from Africa and the like who generally manage to come here are usually from the elites of those countries, the ones who have enough property, bank accounts, jobs, etc., to convince our State Dept. that they'll return home if they're issued a non immigrant visa--which they then overstay. If you're so concerned about the poor of the world, then the FAIREST thing to do is enforce our immigration laws.

Posted by: Ali4 | May 21, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Natalie4 wrote:"Well unless you don't have a family, you won't be able to understand anything. Imagine your parents are from Africa or other country and you have been living here all your life and suddenly you all have to leave this country, how would you feel? Please think about all that before just writing random things that comes to your mind."
----------
Natalie, the parents of this child lived in their home country for most of their lives before coming here illegally and most likely without knowing the language. They managed that just fine, and even gave birth to their daughter here, despite the fact that they're here illegally. Now, how is it that this child is somehow incapable of returning with her parents to their home country where she is most likely a citizen and whose language she quite probably knows, at least at grade level? And just why is that a fate worse than death? After all, literally billions of people live in countries other than the U.S., and economics aside, love their homelands. And just why should her parents be rewarded with legal residency for breaking our laws and most likely having her at our expense, while others who break our laws go to jail and are separated from their families?

Posted by: Ali4 | May 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It seems that Ali4 disagrees totally with me. "Well, let me tell you something, I am not using the little girl to push for immigration. But let me just ask you one question, how would you feel if for some reason your child comes out on YouTube and everyone is calling him "idiot, bastard, ignorant, and other much stronger bad-words?" You see, you don't really see my point here, I don't deny that I strongly support amnesty, but I would never use a child for any kind of purpose."
------------
First, if your child is watching YouTube without your supervision at age 7, I have to wonder at you. If anyone is fool enough to allow their child to be put in the public eye, then they'd better be very, very careful about what that child will say or do and what the story will be about. A few days ago, for example, I saw a story on TV about 7 and 8 year old girls who were bumping and grinding to Beyonce's song in preparation for a competition. Some of the parents objected to the skimpy costumes and bumping and grinding, which was the purported focus of the story. I shudder to think what might be said about those girls on the internet, but then, that's the parents' decision to allow them on TV.

Someone who is in this country illegally and, intentionally or not, tries to use that child, or lets others use him or her, to push for amnesty, is not, in my opinion, behaving in the best interests of that child. The mother of this child undoubtedly knew that Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Calderon were going to visit the school, yet she chose to send her child to school that day. Someone, again in my opinion, who is here illegally and has a child here knowing that he or she is deportable, is not acting in the best interest of that child.

I did read the comments yesterday, and even wrote some, mainly focusing on the Post's handling of immigration issues. Personally, I don't generally call people names, certainly not a child, but there are people on both sides of the immigration debate who do call each other and the subject of the stories names with certain character substitutions. One charming pro-illegal alien poster this week called me a "bu$$--" and "jerk", apparently because he didn't have any other arguments against what I said. I do not recall anyone using the names you chose, at least not in reference to the child, but then, there are those who also take exception to the terms "illegal alien" and "anchor baby" and consider ANY speech against illegal immigration to be "hate" speech and "racist". I also wonder how such "bad words" as you claim were used were allowed on the Post's website given its terms of use. A child of 7 certainly shouldn't be able to fill in the substituted characters--unless she already knows what they are.

Posted by: Ali4 | May 21, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

It seems that Ali4 disagrees totally with me. Well, let me tell you something, I am not using the little girl to push for immigration. But let me just ask you one question, how would you feel if for some reason your child comes out on YouTube and everyone is calling him "idiot, bastard, ignorant, and other much stronger bad-words?" You see, you don't really see my point here, I don't deny that I strongly support amnesty, but I would never use a child for any kind of purpose. I hope you are not a girl because if you are I feel shame on you. And yes my friend, it is so easy to say "oh, let the child go to Mexico with the parents, that solves the problem!" Well unless you don't have a family, you won't be able to understand anything. Imagine your parents are from Africa or other country and you have been living here all your life and suddenly you all have to leave this country, how would you feel? Please think about all that before just writing random things that comes to your mind.

Posted by: Natalie4 | May 21, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The term "baby waving" is most appropriate here. Immigration reform should include the stripping of citizenship to anyone born to illegal parents. The anchor baby business has got to go. Bleeding heart liberals are whining "can't we keep them," over a group of people who would probably as quickly cut their throats as look at them.

Posted by: Vickie803 | May 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vickie803 | May 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

i came here to be in better chance to lift my children out of system in group people to use my past relationship and opress me to civil, descent servant of my children, no one gave my life in my own hands. i knew people around are trator and abusive to take advantage of my family. i pray to mama mary to please take me in peace nor glorified with forgiveness.

Posted by: farrahlyn | May 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Natalie4 wrote:"The comments toward the little girl are incredibly hateful, I don't understand why they hate us so much. We are humans too, and our intention is nothing more than pursuing a better life as everyone else."
------------
That's precisely why those who support amnesty for illegal aliens engage in "baby waving"--using their U.S.-born kids to argue that it's "mean-spirited" to enforce our immigration laws and not give amnesty because the "child" will be hurt. Of course, this little girl can always go home with her parents, but you never mention that. Now, if this were a big girl, maybe her mother, who had said this, I bet you and every amnesty supporter out there would be saying much the same things. Fact is, you don't want ANY enforcement of ANY immigration law under ANY circumstances for ANYONE.

Posted by: Ali4 | May 21, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"We'll close with George151, who wrote, "I am amazed at the amount of racist hate spewed on this forum. What is our country coming to?""
------------
If the comments the author of this blog selected are at all typical, there is NOT one reference to the race/ethnicity of this child or her mother, but only to the legal status of the mother. Those who claim that opposition to illegal immigration is about race should ask themselves why they think that? Could it be because this story was run in conjunction with the visit by the President of Mexico to DEMAND amnesty for HIS CITIZENS from us? Now, just what is wrong with that statement? We're supposed to give HIS CITIZENS legal status and a pathway to citizenship in OUR country because HE says so? His citizens, moreover, who can't be bothered to follow the laws of this country? And isn't it racist for him to seek such an exemption from our immigration laws for HIS CITIZENS? Just what makes Mexicans so special that they shouldn't be subject to our laws?

Posted by: Ali4 | May 21, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If I were a Mexican living amidst the drug war going on there now, I would come here, too, with or without papers. As an employer, wouldn't you want to hire someone who is willing to risk everything to come to this country and WANTS TO WORK? Yeah, among the illegals a few are criminals (real criminals, not just because they're here without papers), but by and large, the people most of the commenters here want to kick out are have the sort of pioneer character upon which this nation was built. Let them stay. Maybe we can arrange a trade with the Mexicans - we'll keep the honest, hardworking but paperless immigrants, and they can have all of the members of SEIU. Would be nice, but I doubt the Mexicans would go for it.

Posted by: MBP1 | May 21, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

WWJD? What could we do?

Fully support the Arizona boycott.

Force employers to provide "fair market" wages for all the bad jobs Americans won't do for no pay. Grant all these people amnesty, huge taxes on multi-millionaires, legalize drugs and stop the wars, provide free health care, education, and economic opportunity for all the poor people in America and help others do the same. Support progressive, cultural education not just the drivel offered by bought and paid for politicians.

Unfortunately, the whole country is filled with a bunch of ignorant, conservative rednecks and unless we turn this around the country will continue to deteriorate. History and evolution teach us that failure to improve and adapt results in extinction; America is not exempt.

How many are there that would have this little girl or at least her mother shot and/or deported? Sad, sad, sad. We have a lot of work to do but change is possible! We all need to be progressive and not have sympathy for those who are bigoted and selfish.

Posted by: Jake27 | May 21, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Come on people. Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the main stream media is not liberal. It is conservative. Just stop to think about it. The newspapers primary profit is from selling advertising not reporting the news. Who advertises? Businesses who want to sell their goods and services. What are businesses if not conservative? Newspapers should come out and say we are not liberal; we are conservative because it is business advertising which butters our bread and we have to please them. But they won’t. It is to their advantage not to. The newspapers can not be blamed for trying to make a profit. The people with money dictate. That is the way it always is. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Posted by: yeoldeydd | May 21, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

"But the stranger that dwells with you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God." - Leviticus 19:34

That's not even the hippy Jesus stuff, people, that's the OLD testament. Is "we are a Christian Nation" really nothing more than an empty label for "white republicans"? For goodness sake, these are even Christians we are talking about here - not pagan/atheist terrorists. They came here with the dream to work and prosper in peace, just as we once did. They are our neighbors, whether we like them or not. And what kind of Christians are we?

Posted by: DavidLangley | May 20, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Taylorsucram

Your ancestors were dragged here before there were borders.

Some of my ancestors freed your ancestors. One side of my family arrived in 1575 the other arrived around 1775. They fought on both sides of the war.

And both sides of my ancestors died for what they believed in during the Civil War. Fortunately the side that believed in freedom won, or you would be a slave today with no rights.

But I note that various forms of slavery exist all over the world yet I don't hear you protesting in your ancestors name. Or do you?

Illegal immigration is like saying illegal-legal. Since illegal is against the law, and immigration is arrived at by following the laws you can't use both words together.

No one is talking about legal immigrants. We are talking about illegal alien criminal invaders in the MILLIONS, of whatever nationality they are. But of course they are primarily Mexican because we share unpatrolled borders.

Racial profiling? Well, I don't see 400,000 illegal Swedes picking lettuce in Arizona, but that is probably due to the fact that so many Mexicans are blocking my view. But I will keep looking for those Swedes so I won't be accused of racial profiling!

Posted by: greatgrandmasue | May 20, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

It is clear as water ethnocentrism is common in many Americans. However, one thing that I have come to see is that the most educated Americans are not racist. In fact, most of the hatred comes from those people with no college degrees and who don't understand the real history of this country. It is clear that ethnocentrism is noting new in America, we need to remember how they hated their African slaves. Anyways, I don't need to really bring that up because that was long time ago, but I say that today's hatred towards illegals are very similar. The comments toward the little girl are incredibly hateful, I don't understand why they hate us so much. We are humans too, and our intention is nothing more than pursuing a better life as everyone else.

I hope God forgives those people who went too far and even called the little girl an "idiot" in the YouTube comments.

Posted by: Natalie4 | May 20, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

When we get rid of ALL the illegal aliens, we will get rid of ALL the problems that go with them. THAT IS A FACT!

Illegal aliens are destroying this Country, and one would have to be almost blind not to see this. How much longer do we have to support these illegal aliens? How much longer do we have to school their illegal alien children? How much longer are we going to let them have our jobs? How much longer are we going to put up with all the crime, stolen identities, forged documents, fake green cards? How much longer are we going to allow these illegal aliens to send money out of this Country and bring our Country down? Oh, amnesty will correct all this. WRONG! Nothing will change except we wouldn't be able to call them illegal aliens any more. Let's get rid of these illegal aliens! Let's get them back to their own Country where they belong!

I'm from Delaware, and we are pressing to get the Oklahoma State Illegal Immigration Law, HB 1804, passed here in Delaware. Three years ago we had about 32,000 illegal aliens here. Today we have about 68,000 illegal aliens here. We have had it! We want our State back!

Posted by: scuncic | May 20, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

The last couple of comments shows anti White racism is alive and well....

It also shows that there are people in this country who think that illegal aliens should be above the law...

If you break a law... you pay the penalty.
In American illegal entry is a crime.
In American document fraud is a crime.
In American id theft is a crime.
In American tax evasionis a crime.
If you are here illegally, you get deported.

That is how it works in America,

America is a sucessful country because it is not like Mexico... where people ignore the law.. and where corruption, and crime are rampant, and there is no real economy.

Those that support illegal aliens lawlessness are asking to turn the USA into a failed country, a basketcase, like Mexico.

Posted by: Bettybb | May 20, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

white people i hope when you all dies you all can take your country with you. dont be so hatefull, what is wrong with people traing to have a better live??? Work, tray to go up a have a better live for you and your family, dont be worry about some body else

Posted by: elenaguzmandesolorzano | May 20, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

OH..THIS IS FOR WHITES RACIST....
IF YOU THINK THAT ILLEGAL ARE CRIMINAL BECAUSE THEY BROKE THE LAW, SO THAT MEANS THAT ALL OF US ARE CRIMINAL BECAUSE WE HAD BROKE THE LAW ONE WAY OR ANOHER, TRAFIC VIOLATION, DOMESTIC VIOLENT O WHAREVER.

Posted by: elenaguzmandesolorzano | May 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I am black and i support a immigration reform.If you think about it , Whites racist are those that dont want a immigragration reform.
White people are so.....they say they bealive on god but they action and feelings are against what God want us to do, LOVE A CARE ABOUT SOMEBODY ELSE.

Posted by: elenaguzmandesolorzano | May 20, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You seem to read a lot of ignorant statements on both sides of this issue. Their are a lot of illegal immigrants here that are good people. Many of whom own houses, own businesses and support communities. How many abandonded houses would be in neighbor hoods, an how many businesses will go out of business if we were to round up every illegal immigrant and ship them home? Many of the ones here illegaly would love to get their visas but do not have the money to do so. You are looking at $2500+ for attorny fees and around $1500 for application fees per person. Alot of money fo someone who is probably living pay check to pay check. I am not saying i is ok to be here illegaly but make it easier on the ones that deserve a better life to become legal. If someone breaks the law and is found to be illegal then start the deportation process, do not go on a witch hunt.

I think we should quit looking at coubntries over seas to send our military and look at what is closer to home. Help Mexico solve its drug cartel problem and make Mexico a safer place to live. This will slow down people trying to sneak accross.

Posted by: Pennwise274 | May 20, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I hear about a Mexican president taking about how there needs to be more immigration of his people allowed to the U.S. I feel like saying to him:

"I am so touched that you love the citizens of your country so much that you want to help them to LEAVE your country."

The rich, ruling elite of Mexico have long used the U.S. as a safety valve for their underclass. If the U.S.-Mexican border were completely sealed off, there would most likely be a civil war, because the rich rueling elite of Mexico, hord all the riches for themselves. They want the U.S. to take care of their inconvenient underclass problem for them.

Mr. Calderon: The riches man in the world, Carlos Slim, lives in your country. Why don't you tax him, and the other billionairs in Mexico, enough so that the people of your country recieve free public education through high school, and basic health services. Then your people would want to stay in Mexico.

Mr. Calderon: Take care of your own.

Posted by: ESLteacher1 | May 20, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with legal immigrants. Most of my friends wives are legal immigrants from somewhere else. The ones I have a problem with are the lazy, criminal (yes the are ALL criminals), and selfish ones that the POTUS wants to forgive. This generation of immigrants is different in the fact that they want the country they are invading to adapt to suit them instead of them adapting to their new environment. I should never have to hear "Press 1 for English"....

I hope they are all rounded up and dropped out of a plane into Mexico without a parachute.

Posted by: jondercik1 | May 20, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Who is this guy to determine what is hateful? Maybe we are tired of our goodwill being abused.

Posted by: cleancut77 | May 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Is it that unreasonable to suspect democrats of using a child as a sob story prop?

Harry Reid did it a couple months ago.

Want to know why the majority are so infuriated by this debate?

1) Because no one should be allowed to get a pass when committing a crime.

"Illegal" means you have committed a crime, violating immigration laws, which all countries have.

Particularly Mexico, cited by Amnesty International for their abysmal treatment of illegal immigrants in that country.

Legal immigrants are welcome.

Illegal are not.

"Committing a crime" especially includes the crooks who run businesses that hire illegals, pay them sub par wages, and cheat on payroll taxes.

They should be the first ones frog marched off to jail.

2) The hypocrisy of the Left.

Including the MSM, which is now nothing more than the mouthpiece of the Left.

The Left, particularly this idiot of a president, wants open borders followed by amnesty because that means more Dem voters in the future.

If illegals represented future Republican voters the dems would make sure the wall on the border was 500 ft high and 100 ft thick.

We need LEGAL immigrants. People who want a better life but will follow our laws.

We don't want scummy politicians who are trying to troll the issue for cheap votes, crooked tax cheating employers, and people who want to ignore our immigration laws.

But then, I guess I'm just an astro-turf, lunatic racist.

Posted by: drjcarlucci | May 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

----
If you think Hispanics will take you along for the ride, you are sadly mistaken. Blacks are being ethnically cleansed from Southern California by Mexican illegals even as I write this. Compton and Watts are both majority-Hispanic now.

Once upon a time, blacks in California had a myopic "get whitey" chip on their shoulders just like you do. Now they have a 40 percent unemployment rate and vastly declining political power in the state. Their share of the California population has declined from about 10 percent to about 8 percent -- and dropping.

When I was a child, a black man was elected mayor of Los Angeles by a largely white population. Now that LA is majority Hispanic, there will probably never be another black mayor of Los Angeles again.

Posted by: MaryJessel | May 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

What's "hateful" about wanting people to follow the law? Even children know you must ask "permission" to enter someone else's home. This writer is way off base; the American people are sick of subsidizing people who hate this country enough to ignore their laws and leech off our good nature.

Ms. Obama's answer was poor and inadequate. She should have told the little girl that "papers" mean "permission". No papers, no permission. She should have told her that laws must be followed. Hey, If families are "broken up", they can all move together! No one forced them here. "Anchor Babies" received their citizenship through fraud; revoke that, too. We don't let bank robbers keep the money they steal, do we?

Posted by: baseballmom99 | May 20, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Doug Feavor is upset because the manipulative sob story did not work.

Americans, both Dem and Repub have caught on.

The monied elite (ie the 21 century plantation owners) want their cheap illegal labor and will do anything to get it.

The only racists in this debate are the pro illegal immigration advocates.

They want preferential immigration treatment for lawbreaking illegal aliens (per statistics almost all of whom are Hispanic) over lawabiding people of all other races and ethnic groups.

They want a great right to familty reunification for Hispanic American families with their law breaking relatives, than Americans of all other races and ethnic groups have with their law abiding relatives.

So how do they go about it? The monied elite has found away around democracy itself. We passed immigration laws... they just refuse to enforce them ? It undermines democracy itself.

In America, no one is above the law. No one.

Posted by: Bettybb | May 20, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

PS -- the only racial slur I see in your cited comments were directed at white American "trash." Yet you cite this one comment as if it were the "reasonable" one.

Posted by: MaryJessel | May 20, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

This article is just another attempt by the Open Borders MSM to shut down any criticism of amnesty. The comments cited are angry; they are not "hateful."

I guess "hateful" is the new McCarthyist term for shutting down all discussion. The elites have decided we must have amnesty; no further discussion allowed as that would be "hateful."

What part of "we don't want amnesty" do you in the MSM not understand?

You continue to post biased sob story after biased sob story, even though you know it angers your readers. You continue to conflate legal immigrants with illegal immigrants, as if there were no difference, when you know this dishonest bit of sleight of hand angers your readers as well.

Frankly, I feel the MSM at this point is deliberately provoking "hateful" commentary. And I wish the bankrupt WaPo would just be put out of its misery.

Posted by: MaryJessel | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What is the argument here? every single alien "BROKE THE LAW!" Our Government, Republican & Democrat, have allowed the invasion of 30 million criminals and is the largest invasion of any Nation, in direct violation of Article IV, Section IV of our Constitution.

This refusal to abide by our Constitution should be classified as Treason as grounds for impeachment & trials for Treason!

Not only have they allowed the invasion, they force American tax payers to pay Billions of dollars to provide Welfare, Prison, Educate the invaders children,free medical care, at the same time the invading horde break numerous laws, massive document fraud, & are destroying our schools, hospitals, communities, culture and standard of living while Robbing, Raping, Killing & Assaulting American Citizens WAKE UP PEOPLE! They walked,rode,swam and drove over here, they can do the same going home! taking thier anchors with them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btj6IeOFkis&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: pyrostevo | May 20, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I am an African-American and I don't understand this controversy at all. My ancestors were dragged to this country in chains so I guess they were illegal immigrants, but it was alright then. Cotton needed to be picked and children needed to be taken care of. There are approximately 5,000 illegal Irish immigrants in New York City but no-one is screaming about them and/or changing laws to target them. What about the many Chinese/Haitian/Cuban/whatever immigrants that took us seriously when the Statue of Liberty stated ..."Give me your poor..etc". Okay lets be real about this, the Mexican-American War was the first major conflict driven by the idea of "Manifest Destiny"; the belief that America (read "Whites") had a God-given right, or destiny, to expand the country's borders from 'sea to shining sea'. In 1835 and again in 1845, the United States offered to purchase California from Mexico. The Mexican government refused the opportunity to sell half of its country to its most dangerous neighbor. So, of course, we took California, Arizona, Texas and so on. The real reason for this push about illegal immigration is to repress and dilute the voting rights of Hispanic-Americans, the fastest growing minority in America. The White population of America feels threatened by their dwindling majority and their falling economic status. Someone has to take the blame for this situation and it might as well be our neighbors to the south. Don't worry, give them time and they'll figure someway to repress the "Black vote". After all, the Hispanic and black population, taken together, in a few more years, will control the course of debate in this country

Posted by: Taylorsucram | May 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

If someone is interested in a quality, honest debate about illegal immigration, they could pick the most insightful comments that would add to the quality of the discussion. If they are interested in something other than that, then online comments are a fertile ground for tendentious agenda pushing.

Posted by: jskdn | May 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

TO DAVE FEAVER And to all the journalists out there, you are the problem.

Stop using "illegal and immigrant" together.
It is like saying illegal-legal and there is nothing legal about a border jumper.

Please refer to illegals as ILLEGAL ALIEN CRIMINAL INVADERS for IACI for brevity.

Pass it on.

Posted by: greatgrandmasue | May 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

There is NO NEED for immigration reform. The immigration laws of the United States are just fine.

King Obama is using his famous Obamaspeak for "I want to give amnesty to all illegal alien criminal invaders so I have millions more Democrat votes by the 2012 election to ensure my reign of terror on the entire freedom of the United States and dump term limits for presidents so I can reign over my subjects for decades."

Please people, this is what his "immigration" reform is all about. YOU must RISE UP AND STOP THIS MAN.

Posted by: greatgrandmasue | May 20, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

First off, the parent and/or teacher who set her up must stop using the word IMMIGRANTS. If you have NO papers, you are not an "immigrant" you are a low life criminal!

Michelle Obama should have said, "Honey, your mommy is an illegal alien criminal invader who broke into this country and now must go home. She is not an "immigrant." Immigrants are people who follow the laws of the United States. She did not. She came here without permission which is why she has no papers."

"How would you feel if you came home and found out some one had broken in your door and come in to your house?" That is what your momma did. She broke in to our country. People who are in the United States without papers are illegal alien criminal invaders and the Arizona law is doing what the Federal government should have done a long, long time ago.."

"What if you came home and 100 people were living in your house, eating your food, wearing your clothes, sleeping in your bed? And you didn't give them permission nor could you afford them. Would you like that?"

"If our govenment, who has the even stricter laws about illegal alien criminal invaders on its books, would enforce exisiting laws, Arizona would not have had to resort to managing this issue on their own. I will speak to King Obama when I get home and kick start Federal support for states overrun with these freeloading people, including your momma."

"And remember, child, if you don't want people to steal from you, don't steal from others."

I know my hot Daddy wants to turn all the illegals into Democrat voters before the 2012 election so he can keep his job. But you and I know it isn't right to reward bad people so I will make sure Arizona has all the Federal help it needs to kick these freeloaders out. Now you run along and pack your bag. And thank your momma and teacher for helping to identify another illegal alien criminal invader nest."

And to the parent and teacher who put her up to this, you should be ashamed. Try teaching the difference between immigrant and criminal in your lousy school.

Posted by: greatgrandmasue | May 20, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The child is seriously misinformed. Obama is not doing ANYTHING about illegal immigration. Arizona, bless its heart, is. And yes, if the child and her family do not have papers, then they have to go home. Pretty simple and fair, if you ask me (and 60% of Americans - legal Americans, that is).

Posted by: retabroad | May 20, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The little girl felt she could trust Michelle. She confided her fears/worries about her family. Michelle's answer was clueless.

Posted by: LadyOrmond | May 20, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

There is a process which is used by people who wish to become legal residents of the U.S. Her family dedided to take the illegal route to live in the U.S. and should be deported.

Posted by: jfregus | May 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh, there were better comments to quote. The first four pages of comments were spot on and had lots of "recommend" clicks. Maybe these were angry comments, but they were not hateful comments.

Posted by: AnnsThought | May 20, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

i may get torn apart for this but......if the mother is here illegally and or the dad then the entire family including children need to go. If the child was born here then they can come back at 18

Posted by: nall92 | May 20, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse