Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

19th St. reopens after bomb scare

2:18 p.m. Update: Authorities report the item was in a suitcase and a portion of the street will remain closed for about another 30 minutes.

2:15 p.m. Update: The FBI tells Rojas that the suspicious package contained what looked like a pipe bomb. It was not a pipe bomb, authorities said, but investigators remained on the scene to determine if someone had intended for the item to look dangerous.

1:55 p.m. Update: Rick Rojas reports that there are still closures in the area.

Traffic on 19th is being detoured at E Street, Rojas reports.

1:31 p.m. Update: Officials report that 19th Street has reopened. We still don't know why it took so long to clear the scene.

<strong>1:21 p.m. Update: D.C. Fire/EMS just tweeted that its crews are clearing the scene; that there are no injuries; no hazards and D.C. police are investigating. What they are investigating is unclear.

1:15 p.m. Update: Some streets are reopening in the area. From F to G on 19th is still blocked off. However, officials at the scene are not providing any information.

1:10 p.m. Update: The streets in the vicinity are still closed. More details soon.

1:08 p.m. Update: There will not be a press conference. Stand by.

1:05 p.m. Update: Rick Rojas is on the scene. We're still waiting to see if they hold this press conference.

12:30 p.m. Update: D.C. Police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said police have determined "there is no hazardous material found" at 19th and F streets NW. However, District police and fire personnel remain on the scene to investigate as of 12:22 p.m. and nearby streets remain closed. Patrol officers found a suspicious package at about 7:45 a.m. Wednesday, said Crump, who said police would have more information to release later.

-- Mary Pat Flaherty

12:10 p.m. Update: Washington Post staff writer Rick Rojas is on the scene. Check back for details. We're expecting a press conference soon.

11:45 a.m.Update: Cameras show traffic building in the streets around the cordoned off area. If you can avoid driving in the area, try an alternate route north and south. Pennsylvania Avenue traffic does get by.

11:40 a.m. Update: D.C. Fire/EMS spokesman Pete Piringer said units are still on the scene investigating the package which is located on 19th Street NW between E and F. A perimeter has been established for a couple blocks in each direction, he said. Expect traffic congestion, especially as people head out for the lunch hour.

9:29 a.m. Update: According to a D.C. Fire/EMS tweet, the package is at 19th and F. D.C. Fire/EMS, special operations and hazardous materials units are assisting D.C. police and others with the investigation.

Original post: Nineteenth Street NW is closed from F Street to Pennsylvania Avenue, according to D.C. officials. A suspicious package is reportedly under investigation.

By Michael Bolden  | June 30, 2010; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting, Congestion, District  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Extra discount for military on Amtrak
Next: New distracted driving PSA


Possibly they found a package that proves Obama is a muslim plant?

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 30, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

As if it weren't bad enough that the District and the Park Service decided to conduct two major road projects simultaneously blocking two key arteries leading into the city from Virginia, some numb skull has to phone in a suspicious package report on what was likely to be a homeless person's clothing.

At a time of year when access into the city should be easy, commutes into Washington are getting worse. Is ANYONE actually in charge of "planning" in the District?

Some moron at the planning commission approved a pair of construction project directly across the street from one another at 23rd and Constitution, effectively robbing the street of two traffic lanes, and although work has wrapped on one project and is coming to a close on the other it doesn't appear as though those lanes will be returned to commuters.

That brilliant decision only exacerbates the decision to OK simultaneous reconstruction of Ohio Drive and the 14th Street Bridge.

All that as Metrorail continues to operate dangerously overloaded capacity while bilking its passengers out of more and more money.

Isn't it enough that Capitol Hill is perpetually mired in gridlock? Our overloaded roads and rails have to be made worse by dimwitted officials?

Posted by: tkoho | June 30, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That would be suspicious, since it flies in the face of all evidence.

Posted by: krickey7 | June 30, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

When is the press conference? Is it going to be covered by Washington Post? Why haven't they figured it out yet? It's been like three hours.

Posted by: hihi22 | June 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The gridlock around 17th-22nd and H, I, etc. NW is astonishing for lunch hour. I went out and walked by the IMF and just the TV trucks themselves have their own little mini-traffic-jam.

Posted by: Virginiadude1 | June 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Have they opened up 19th St yet? It's been nearly 6 hours!

How long does it take to investigate one suspicious package?

Posted by: afsljafweljkjlfe | June 30, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it was a focking TOOLBOX!

Great for a bunch of TOOLS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bs2004 | June 30, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.


© 2010 The Washington Post Company