Foggy Bottom, Dupont escalators out

Mark Berman

Depending on Escalators | The ups and downs of Metro |

Metro brings in esclatator consultant | Outages

10:10 a.m. update: Earlier this morning Metro reported that the entrance escalators at Foggy Bottom Station are out. Now the entrance escalators at Dupont Circle have joined them. Are the escalators just giving up?

Metro has requested shuttle bus service for both locations, but this won't make your travels any easier.

About 10 percent of Metro's 588 escalators were reported out this morning.

8:55 A.M. UPDATE:
-- If you experienced Red Line delays on your way into the office, here's why: The delays earlier this morning stemmed from a sick customer at Bethesda. It caused single-tracking on the Red Line between Friendship Heights and Medical Center. It began at 7:52 a.m. and they resumed normal service at 8:15 a.m., according to Metro officials.

-- The Foggy Bottom escalators continue to be out. This picture, via Unsuck DC Metro, just about sums up what to expect if that's where you're heading this morning.

8:50 A.M. UPDATE:

-- All of the entrance escalators are out of service at the Foggy Bottom station. Shuttle bus service has been requested.

-- There are also major delays on the Red Line. The Post's Emilio Garcia-Ruiz reports that a sick passenger at the Bethesda station forced them to single track. More on this as we get it.

6 A.M. UPDATE:
The Blue Line delays have been cleared.

ORIGINAL POST:
The Blue Line is delayed heading towards Franconia-Springfield. This is due to a disruption at the National Airport stop. While a train malfunction has been resolved, the delays continue.

By Mark Berman  | June 15, 2010; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories, Metro  | Tags:  metro, metrorail delays
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Share your commuting stories
Next: Metro union sets vigil for crash victims

Comments

I hate Metro. 22-minute wait this morning at Chinatown. Metro is inconsistent and a total joke. Why do they have to single track? If the person isn't injured, then put them on the platform with an employee, close off that car if the person got sick in it, and keep going.

Posted by: pentagoncity1 | June 15, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

One hour and 35 minutes from Clarendon to Silver Spring.

So, my Red Line train heading AWAY from the clusterfracas back at Medical Center / Friendship Heights / Bethesda had to sit for 2 - 8 minutes at every station between Union Station and Takoma. So I heard the announcements. There was also a track circuit malfunction at Medical Center, in addition to the single-tracking due to the sick customer at Bethesda, and they said something I never quite caught about a third incident, a train having mechanical difficulties somewhere near Friendship Heights.

Our train operator announced regularly: "We apologize for the inconvenience. THIS train has been instructed to hold. There's *sigh* a lot of mechanical difficulties this morning."

I know how he felt.

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 15, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

But we can all be reassured that the WMATA website is current, as of a few weeks ago.

One of the platform escalators at Foggy Bottom has been out for weeks. It finally showed up on the escalator status page today. So if you're wondering how many escalators are actually out of commission, take the number on that page and double or triple it.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Good luck with eventually taking Metro to IAD and departing on time with these clowns running things. Better leave 4+ hours ahead of time!

Posted by: nocando | June 15, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

CLUELESS is an understatement for WMATA. First it was a sick passenger. By the time I got to my destination, it was a trifecta of disruptions (sick passenger, circuit malfunction, and something else). It was a NIGHTMARE. They said delays were in both directions, but FIVE Shady Grove trains went by before ONE Glenmont train came (and it was full, of course).

Worst red line commute since the blizzard (30 min. waits + federal government open).

Posted by: nativetexan2 | June 15, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Spent at least 10 minutes chilling (sweating?) in a Glenmont-bound red line train at Van Ness...while no less than THREE Shady-bound trains came through on the other side of the platform. Lovely. So much for my grand plan of trying to get to work early today.

Also (side rant) - one day last week when I got off the train at Dupont, only one escalator was working at the south entrance, and (surprise surprise) it was going DOWN not UP. Of course, midway thru my trudging up, Metro gets the bright idea to switch the escalator to UP. The best part? Two Metro employees standing at the bottom of the escalator loudly complaining how "it's not their fault" waa waa waa. Sure, I can agree it's not THEIR fault the escalators are messed up, but there is no need to be totally rude to people who (I heard) were suggesting why not switch the one working escalator to UP - which is common sense anyway. I've started commuting in running shoes in anticipation of having to walk the escalator - at least I'm physically capable of doing so!

Posted by: DC84 | June 15, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

That's why I CHOOSE not to live on the Red Line, idiots.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | June 15, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

This is why I drive to work now. Metro is on a death spiral, and I have decided to get off.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 15, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So, I wonder regularly, why doesn't metro build steps in each station. For those people who can walk them, it would be a real time saver. It would also save metro a LOT of money on the almost ongoing repairs/replacement. But then again - metro and saving money or doing anything thoughtful...just doesn't go in the same sentence.

I guess I don't have to worry about it though. I finally (!!!) got a parking space in my building. As of July 1, I will NEVER take metro again.

Posted by: Ellvee | June 15, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

You are now reporting that ten percent of Metro escalators are out. Is this your own observation or Metro's number? If you're getting it from Metro you should double or triple it just to be safe.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

What in the world is going on with the escalators at Foggy Bottom? How can they be constantly broken when there is almost always someone working on them? This morning when I got off at Foggy Bottom it looked like hundreds of people were waiting to get on the already broken down escalators. Who has time for this nonsense in the morning? Metro should just die already? Between the over crowding and the idiots who drive the trains that allow passengers 1.2 seconds to unload and board trains at busy stations and the rising cost, I would rather walk to work. I dread getting on metro now. I am so convinced that metro is full of overpaid crooks who could care less about the system. I've been working in Georgetown for four years now and cannot remember the escalators at Foggy Bottom being fully functional for more than a solid week. METRO should stand for M)ismanaged, (E)gotistic,(T)rolls,
R)obbing (O)thers. I hate metro with a passion. Bunch of losers!!!

Posted by: kmarshall1 | June 15, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Metro is lying when they say the Red Line issue was resolved by 8:15AM. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to go from Rockville at 8:00AM to Metro Center. Things were just a slow after we passed the Friendship Station. I'm just glad the air conditioning worked, unlike yesterday when I was sweating the whole way home. I HATE RIDING METRO!

Posted by: flower208511 | June 15, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you plan on doing a follow up to the mess created at NY and Florida NE yesterday, or was that just a one day story.

Posted by: kcwhitney | June 15, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't live-and-breathe WMATA's goings ons like many of you. But wasn't there some sort of "Capital Improvement Program" maybe 3 years ago where they rehab'd many of the escalators? I'm vaguely recalling a Crystal City escalator out of server for 2-3 months under this program and I seem to recall it broke down within only a few months after it came back into service. I'm like, WTF?

Posted by: WorkingDaddy | June 15, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

While I agree with everything everyone has said (this morning at Foggy Bottom caused me to worry I'd miss my train), I also wish everyone would calm down while IN the situation. I find just as much frustration in my dealings with fellow customers as I do with malfunctioning equipment. Let's all be on the same team: patiently get on a train, wait until we unload, don't push your way by me... CONSIDERATION would go a long way in making all of our commutes somewhat BETTER!!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | June 15, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Why is this even being reported as news? MOST of the escalators are out at Metro on a daily basis. They've been out at Farragut North, Friendship Heights, and Fort Totten (and many others I'm sure) for quite some time. It's in the Metro employees best interest to make sure that the escalators stay broken. If everything was in good working order, then they wouldn't have a job. This is just the same old, same old that we all get with Metro. And, BTW, I got on the red line at 8:45 this morning and the trains were still delayed.

Posted by: dcisajoke | June 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else baffled by the fact the nation's Capitol has a sham of a transportation system? Undoubtedly every summer it comes screeching to a hault and everyone at wmata acts as if it is a big surprise.

Posted by: djones13 | June 15, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djones13 | June 15, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Foggy Bottom currently has three escalators out of service and they've been out of service since yesterday.

Metro's website reports ONE out of service.

Metro Lies.